What happened to screen clip feature? It's not working since an update.

I have been using Evernote Premium for years.  One of the features I liked the most was the ability to capture a screen clip on demand with a keystroke.  Now, that function is not working.  I use Windows 10.  Did something change?  I cannot find that option anywhere on the menu.  I have tried to read about this in the online forums but cannot find a direct answer.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 11/1/2020 at 10:14 PM, pteel said:

I have been using Evernote Premium for years.  One of the features I liked the most was the ability to capture a screen clip on demand with a keystroke.  Now, that function is not working.  I use Windows 10.  Did something change?  I cannot find that option anywhere on the menu.  I have tried to read about this in the online forums but cannot find a direct answer.  

Hi.  Are you clipping web pages or other apps?  The web clipper should still work,  and if v10 isn't allowing screen grabs,  there are other utilities for Windows 10 that will image all or part of the desktop and generate a PNG or JPG to attach to a note.

It's not really a solution to say "use other software" to do screen grabs. I want to be able to clip from various windows desktop apps, where use of the web clipper isnt an option. For example, I would clip data from Family Tree Maker into my Genealogy Notebook, so I could refer to it when I'd switched away from it, and I want to take a clip of a number of cells from Excel or MS Access to save database work to a Notebook - and there are many other examples using other non-web apps. Even the web clipper isn't a full solution for web-based clipping, as some web pages disable clipping - for example my banking app - but I could always use the desktop clipper.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, pteel said:

Clipping from the desktop app (referred to as Capture) or the browser (referred to as clipper)?  Did you just update to Windows 10.3 Evernote?

I am using the Desktop version 10.2.4 which shows as the latest version when I did "check for updates" just now. I did notice a reference to Screenshot in the release comment for 10.2.4 when I did that check - but the right click on the taskbar no longer gives me the screenshot option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, pteel said:

Totally agree...I clip web, excel sheets,  parts of a pdf...So much...I cannot believe they drop it..I have web clipper not the same

It is perhaps worth outlining exactly what the functionaility is because the 6.25 screen clipping functionaility is much more than just a screen shot. Having said that I don't think there is anything that can not be done in the new version in combination with native Windows 10 tools. It's just alot slower and less convenient. Here is a list of functions

clip screenshot. This has been implemented in V10 although there are some odd behaviours. In addition the ctrl  and shift modifiers which copy the content to the clip board or file do not work. (The contents of the screen shot are always copied to the clipboard but I have not found a way of preventibng the creation of  a new note). This can also be done with the Windows native screen shot facility or another app like Gladwin printscreen.

copy selection. This copies whatever you have selected directly to a new EN note. It's a very convenient way of capturing information. Given that many things take more key strokes in V10 than in 6.25 it should not surprise us that this is no longer available. The work around is obviously ctrl-C, open evernote, create new note, ctrl-V

paste to evernote. This copies the contents of the clipboard to a new note even if EN is not maximised. Again the workaround is open a new note and paste.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having issue with the capture selection in mac. I even installed it from the evernote webpage instead of app store. But it now creates a new notes everytime I do the capture selection instead of implementing it in the quick note. Could you please fix the issue ?