[Fixed in Version 10.4] Scanning from Scansnap create New Notebooks

jmsmall

Idea

Just upgraded to 10.2.4. I OFTEN scan with a Fujjitsu scansnap. It used to put the scan as a PDF right into whatever notebook was active. NOW it makes an Import 11/1/20 notebook. But even worse, it doesn't reuse the notebook! Now it makes a NEW notebook every time! So I got import 11/1/20 (1), (2), etc. Increased my work time significantly since I have to drag file to the correct notebook, then delete the notebook, then confirm the deletion.. I cannot find any preferences or settings areas on this new build. 

If it would just reuse the 11/1/20 notebook that would really be OK but making a NEW NOTEBOOK for every scan? 

Help me, is there a setting I've not found?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 replies to this idea

I agree 100%.  I have gone completely paperless because of Evernote and use my Fijitsu ix500 Scanner with ScanSnap religiously.  What a shock when I found out that my scans now go into a newly created imported notebook with a date on it every time I scan.  What's worse is that if I do 5 scans in the same day, it creates 5 notebooks with that date.  

Same for when I use the Send To option in Windows to send a document to Evernote.  It creates the imported folder for that too.

I feel that my productivity has decreased because of the extra work.

• Thanks 2

Thanks @PinkElephant.  Knew this was an option, but in my opinion, the message is clear for Evernote ... moving backwards is not moving forward.  It just seems that being an EN user for 9 years now and waiting 2 years for a major upgrade, version 10 is just a HUGE step backwards in productivity.  I hope they are getting the message.

• Evernote Expert

I wonder if @jmsmall, @Bubblewrap and @Hads are using the Scansnap Home software or the original ScanSnap Manager product?

I've continued to use the ScanSnap Manager software. To get that working with EN v10 I've had to implement a process using Zapier and Dropbox. I can scan into the nominated folder on Dropbox and Zapier then passes it over to Evernote depositing it in the Notebook I've nominated for scans to arrive in.

Actually, since I still have the legacy version installed, mostly I carry on with the old approach and scan to Evernote (which uses the old Import Folder function in the background).

I'd like to hope Import Folders will return (although I'm not very hopeful). In that case ScanSnap Manager will carry on doing what I need.

• Like 1

When I scanned from a ScanSnap iX500 in the old version, the scanned document went into whatever notebook currently had the focus in the application. Now with 10.3, scanned documents always go into an "(imported) M/D/Y" notebook and have to be manually moved to the desired notebook. I'm hoping this is a bug that will get fixed. If this is a new "feature", I hate it.

Fix is scheduled for an upcoming release. Imported files on the commandline should go to default notebook.  Also /deletefiles flag was added to optionally delete the source files after importing.

Disclaimer: As always, actual release date/features subject to change.

• Level 5

Since I am on a Mac (mostly), I switched to ScanSnap Home when I upgraded the MacOS to Catalina. No more 32bit apps, so ScanSnap Manager did not work any longer.

Fujitsu told it was discontinued, dead end.

To my surprise in summer this year a 1st release of a new ScanSnap Manager 64Bit hit the Download pages at Fujitsu. But this first new version could not scan to EN, so I stayed with SSH instead. Now EN by all practical means removed the scanning directly into EN (because creating a new notebook with each scan is no viable option at all).

So for now we have a real race: Will Fujitsu be faster with a full new release of SSM that theoretically allows to scan into EN, or will EN be faster with restoring the ability to do so without a flood of notebooks ? In the end, both brought together would be really nice, after all this trouble and workarounds.

• Evernote Expert

I think that ScanSnap Manager relied on the ability to to use import folders doing something in the background with that function.  So I'm not hopeful that SSM will work with EN v10. Apart from anything else it will be searching for Evernote in the old installation folder rather than where EN 10 resides.

Interestingly I received an update to SSM this week.  v7.0L30. According to the readme it is designed to 'fix vlunerabilities'. No mention of Evernote.  All on Windows 10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, there was a new release of SSM. Could not find it for Mac on the Fujitsu web site yet. They promised in summer to bring the scanning to cloud services back, which includes EN. SSH is doing o.k. with the legacy EN client, but SSM had far more options.

In general the Fujitsu site is a mess if you search for information. +100 for the EN support pages.

• Evernote Expert
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, there was a new release of SSM. Could not find it for Mac on the Fujitsu web site yet. They promised in summer to bring the scanning to cloud services back, which includes EN. SSH is doing o.k. with the legacy EN client, but SSM had far more options.

In general the Fujitsu site is a mess if you search for information. +100 for the EN support pages.

I was surprised.  The update popped up on screen and gave me the option to install.  It claims to support a number of cloud services including Dropbox which I think will work well with my Dropbox/Zapier integration to crete a workaround for the missing Import Folders.

Like you I find the Fujitsu site to be a complete mess.  I did locate a specific ScanSnap site which wasn't a great deal better but was more focused on just the scanners. ;)

• Level 5

Yes, they try to structure it somehow. And then it depends if you land on the local Fujitsu page, or the international option of the central page. So when by using an internal link you happen to jump from one to the other, you end up in a different orientation.

The new version was announced for the Mac as well, but has not yet materialized on the download pages. Maybe I need to install the first 64Bit version first, to get into the update channel.

But for me the next step is the new BigSur MacOS (first time in years they counted the main release number one up), and then I will see.

Moving the note and then deleting the import folder is ... just ... painful.  Really a shame.

In windows, I have found it faster to :

- Have EN on the left of my screen.  A File explorer on the right.

- Use scansnap to save to a pdf in a temp folder

- In EN, create a new note in the desired notebook. 

- Click and drag the pdf from the file explorer to the new note.

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But for me the next step is the new BigSur MacOS (first time in years they counted the main release number one up), and then I will see.

A bvrave person... Challenges in Evernote and the OS... =:)

• Level 5

Thanks - not really. BigSur got released 2 days ago - I will give it some more until I upgrade. They did an extensive beta, and first reactions after the final release were very positive. It has some great new features, even when running (in my case) on an Intel MacBook Pro, not on new Apple Silicon.

EN legacy did run on BigSur Beta, as it was reported in the Forum. So it should be no problem - don’t want to be force-upgraded like on iOS.

And then I will give SSM a new try - if it runs now, it will run for the next years, driving my ix500.

Thumbs pressed ...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since I am on a Mac (mostly), I switched to ScanSnap Home when I upgraded the MacOS to Catalina. No more 32bit apps, so ScanSnap Manager did not work any longer.

Fujitsu told it was discontinued, dead end.

To my surprise in summer this year a 1st release of a new ScanSnap Manager 64Bit hit the Download pages at Fujitsu. But this first new version could not scan to EN, so I stayed with SSH instead. Now EN by all practical means removed the scanning directly into EN (because creating a new notebook with each scan is no viable option at all).

I held off upgrading to Catalina because I did not want to move to ScanSnap Home.  About a month ago I noticed that there was a ScanSnap manager version that now works on Catalina so I bit the bullet and upgraded.  I have both v10 and legacy loaded and ScanSnap manager works with both.  In settings I have to change the application that it points to, but it does directly import into Evernote from each.  In v10 you do have to move focus back to Evernote for it to add the scan.

• Thanks 1

I just recently updated to Evernote 10.3.7 on a Windows 10 machine. Prior to that when I scanned a document on my ScanSnap ix1500 the document would go directly into the notebook that I had open/highlighted. Now the document goes to an (imported) notebook. I then have to drag the document to the proper notebook. Any idea on how to change where the scanned documents go?

Thanks,

• Evernote Expert
On 11/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, s2sailor said:

About a month ago I noticed that there was a ScanSnap manager version that now works on Catalina so I bit the bullet and upgraded.  I have both v10 and legacy loaded and ScanSnap manager works with both.  In settings I have to change the application that it points to, but it does directly import into Evernote from each.  In v10 you do have to move focus back to Evernote for it to add the scan.

Sadly the new version of ScanSnap Manager for Windows doesn't appear to permit the change of application - at least not on my PC :(

On EN 10, it seems that all new imported material (eg: from ScanSnap Manager>EN) is automatically put into an "Import" Notebook. In prior EN versions, if a notebook was active imported material went into that notebook. This was/is my work flow, and IMHO a much more efficient way to work. It saves me from having to move every single item from an import notebook to the location of my choice. Much easier to choose notebook before hand. Would love to get this option back.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, agsteele said:

Sadly the new version of ScanSnap Manager for Windows doesn't appear to permit the change of application - at least not on my PC :(

Sorry to hear that Windows is different.  FWIW, this is what I see on the Mac.  I'm able to switch between Evernote (v10) and Legacy.

image.thumb.png.fcc88640904b0a24ffc86a11e6f59a88.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/14/2020 at 8:16 AM, Sneakers1111 said:

- In EN, create a new note in the desired notebook. 

- Click and drag the pdf from the file explorer to the new note

You should be able to simply drag/drop the PDF into the note list panel and a note will be automatically created.  Unless that got borked in V10 as well.  Or simply stay on the older version of EN until some of this is sorted.  I though import folders were on the road map?

• Level 5

This is not through import folders, at least it doesn’t appear so.

It imports directly into the local EN client on the Mac, creating a new note in legacy, even opening that note in a new window so you can easily change the title, tag it and move it into the designated notebook.

With v10 it seems (I do not run EN v10 on my Mac) it creates a new noteBOOK for each scan, which makes the import very difficult to handle.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is not through import folders, at least it doesn’t appear so.

My bad.  I have always used custom profiles as opposed direct to EN.  Control freak I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, it works pretty well, including the OCR content. I prefer OCR by the ScanSnap software - you know, this OCR data will be exported with the pdf, not be conserved on the EN server.

If I remember it correctly, a copy of the document will be kept inside of the ScanSnap software anyhow. Will check when I ramp it up on my Mac next time (over here it is already couch time).

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

With v10 it seems (I do not run EN v10 on my Mac) it creates a new noteBOOK for each scan

It doesn't work this way on the Mac.  After scanning you need to give focus to Evernote and it then "attaches" the file and opens a new note full screen.  It doesn't create a new folder.  It opens in my default folder.  In the full screen window you can then move the note to another folder and tag as usual.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Well, it works pretty well, including the OCR content. I prefer OCR by the ScanSnap software - you know, this OCR data will be exported with the pdf, not be conserved on the EN server.

If I remember it correctly, a copy of the document will be kept inside of the ScanSnap software anyhow. Will check when I ramp it up on my Mac next time (over here it is already couch time).

I let ScanSnap do the OCR as well.  The OCR stays local (at least on V6.25.1) and the EN servers do an OCR as well. I know this from past experience where PDFs found on my PC were not found on the server due to OCR differences.  ScanSnap OCR was better than server OCR at least for words I was searching.  Begs a question of what OCR is stored locally with V10 desktops???

Don't know about ScanSnap keeping a copy.  If it does it is a setting I do not use.  I just scan to an import folder and the file is removed when EN grabs it.

EDIT:

I should note I use ScanSnap Manager.

Looks like 10.4.3 is out. Just download it from Evernotes site. Now scans are placed in a default notebook. At least it doesn't create a notebook every time you scan. Would still like it to scan to whatever notebook I have selected.

• Thanks 1