Evernote Beta (v 10.2.4 build 1949 public) - major issues

After an email 10 days ago, I upgraded to the Evernote Beta (v 10.2.4 build 1949 public | Editor: v111.0.14414 | Service: v1.21.2) today.

After the install, I received the message: There's a new version of Evernote... three times, the2nd and 3rd time with Evernote running in the background.

Evernote still didn't open. I rebooted and it still takes forever; after 5 minutes, still not open!

Rebooted again, this time it opened.

I noticed it was missing the Outlook integration

I cannot add the custom Toolbar I had before.

This app is not ready for beta testing, I decided I was going to uninstall and install the current Evernote: I need it too much to run a dysfunctional beta. Why didn't this one run with the old one like the previous beta?

Evernote is not in the apps list, neither in Control Panel > Programs and Features nor in Settings > Apps

I went onto the web site and the only version available is Evernote-10.2.4-1949-setup.exe, the same version I am running

In addition, several of the issues above were in my first Evernote Beta 2 issues - First Look post back in early September (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/127949-evernote-beta-2-issues-first-look/).

What is going on???

John

• Level 5*

Hi.  A little online research will find you the previous standalone Windows client 6.25.1,  or the new Legacy version 6.25.2 which will run alongside the new version but retains all the original features.

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.1.9091.exe

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1

Thanks Gazumped, I have just installed Evernote Legacy 6.25.2.

Does this mean that features I use all the time will not be in Evernote going forward?

• Outlook integration
  • Custom Toolbar
  • Interface improvements (shortcuts is huge compared to Legacy
  • Being able to change defaults

Thanks again,

John

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

Does this mean that features I use all the time will not be in Evernote going forward?

Features are being added all the time    
Check the requests forum to make sure there's an entry for your request; add your vote to indicate support   
We've been advised that specific features are pending; for example scripting

• Like 1

Just read The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/129055-the-new-evernote-10-version-list-of-missing-core-features/).

Looks like there are lots of old Premium users (like me - since 2008) who are ticked off and looking at alternatives.

Seems like this release was not well thought out. They need to use an app like UserVoice or GetSatisfaction so that they can understand what users want!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I believe in terms of information they have everything they need, and probably more. Given alone the usage metrics of the servers should tell a lot, especially when viewed over a time span. Gaining more new users than loosing ? Conversion rate from non-paid to paid, and vice versa ? Accounts going dormant, accounts reactivated ? And so on !

I think in the end it was an internal conflict: Part of the teams says „we release“, part says „it’s too early“. Both sides have arguments on their side. I once learned to know a guy responsible for a company with several thousand employees. He said: „There are situations where after all fact seeking, it is so close you can simply flip a coin, take that decision and focus on solving the consequences. This is sometimes better than to delay things further.“ His name was not Ian, and the company still thrives.

Maybe one day a book will be written about „those days“ at company HQ, EN Inc. 🧐

• Like 4
10 hours ago, johnm243 said:

Seems like this release was not well thought out. They need to use an app like UserVoice or GetSatisfaction so that they can understand what users want!

There was plenty of user feedback in the preview and beta stages. They decided to release anyway. It's still basically a beta because the old version is still available but they are not learning anything that they didn't already know from the preview and beta.

• Sad 1

I know @Mike P, they didn't listen to us and released this disaster anyway!

I posted Evernote Beta 2 issues - First Look back in early September (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/127949-evernote-beta-2-issues-first-look/) with 14 issues I found. None have been fixed.

Thanks to @gazumped, I found the Legacy Edition and have installed it. My Premium subscription expires in the spring. If they haven't fixed v. 10 by January, I will start looking for alternatives.

Best,

John

• Like 1