[Fixed in Version 10.5] White window always show up (Windows)

pedro guerra

Idea

I have a bug, i think its autoupdate error. 

This windows shows up every 10 seconds

My log archive :

[2020-10-30 16:08:30.851] [info] broker:outside clearWindow for id: 5
[2020-10-30 16:08:30.853] [info] broker:outside Cleaning up from 'unload' event
[2020-10-30 16:08:30.870] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 5 url: app://evernote/boronLogin.html
[2020-10-30 16:08:34.612] [info] Checking for update
[2020-10-30 16:08:34.618] [info] ion-actions:getStringUserSetting MultiError: Key not found in local settings { key: 'BORON_NATIVE_EDITING_FILES_WATCHING' }
[2020-10-30 16:08:35.396] [info] Update for version 10.2.4 is not available (latest version: 10.2.4, downgrade is disallowed).
[2020-10-30 16:08:35.400] [info] electron:autoUpdater Next update check: 2020-10-31T19:08:35.398Z.
[2020-10-30 16:08:46.896] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:09:05.807] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:09:25.509] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:09:35.647] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:09:45.615] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:09:55.559] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:10:05.463] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:10:16.046] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:10:35.883] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:10:55.466] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:11:06.320] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:11:25.747] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-10-30 16:11:46.941] [error] boron:mainApplication Error: An object could not be cloned.

img.png

• Like 2

50 replies to this idea

Olá!

Como usuário do evernote free, me vejo em obrigação de ajudar.

Problema:

Esta janela branca, que não termina de carregar e por isso sempre volta, é uma janela que te avisa que você tem mais dispositivos no evernote que o permitido.

Solução:

Entre no evernote web e remova os dispositivos que excedem a quantidade permitida. Então este pop up para de aparecer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Wanted to gather more info.

@pedro guerra @gustablone @renan_ash

This is occurring on the current version, Version 10.2?

If possible, can you share a screen recording of the window appearing?

Let me know as I'm further investigating into this issue.

Hi @Shane D.

Here is a video showing what happens when the desktop version of Evernote is running on my PC. The version is the 10.2, as I will show in the video. The recording is short, but you will be able to see that the white windows won't stop showing up.

2020-11-07 10-07-53.mkv

Its stoped for some days, but now the problem came back again.

Its exactly like @gustablone video.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, gustablone said:

Hi @Shane D.

Here is a video showing what happens when the desktop version of Evernote is running on my PC. The version is the 10.2, as I will show in the video. The recording is short, but you will be able to see that the white windows won't stop showing up.

2020-11-07 10-07-53.mkv 5.69 MB · 1 download

17 hours ago, Austin G said:

@Pedro @gustablone Thank you for this report. Please update to our latest release version 10.3 and let us know if the issue continues. You can install it from here: https://evernote.com/download/ Thanks!

@Austin G thankyou for your reply.

Program updated to 10.3, but the issue still persists. No change. Still impossible to use Evernote.

• Ex Employees

@gustablone@pedro guerra Thank you for confirming that the issue has continued after installing 10.3. May I request the app logs? Please use these steps to send them. 

1. Open the New Evernote for Windows 
2. Select Help > Show Log files
3. Select all files, then right-click and select **Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder**.
4. Send the zip file in a DM to me here

After sending the logs, or if you'd prefer to not send them, please use these steps to fix this issue: 

1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to open the task manager 
2. Select "More Details" to view the background processes
3. Select any processes with "Evernote" in the title, and end them
4. Open Windows Explorer
5.  Paste %appdata% in the window header and press Enter
6. Delete the folder "Evernote"
7. Open Evernote and sign in

Please reply here if these steps do not fix this issue. 

1 hour ago, Austin G said:

@gustablone@pedro guerra Thank you for confirming that the issue has continued after installing 10.3. May I request the app logs? Please use these steps to send them. 

3. Select all files, then right-click and select **Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder**.

After sending the logs, or if you'd prefer to not send them, please use these steps to fix this issue: 

4. Open Windows Explorer

@Austin G I did it, but still not working, i will send the log files

logs.rar

On 11/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, Austin G said:

4. Open Windows Explorer

I have tried this but this doesn't help. Only the task manager termination and then again restart helps. But it is annoying to do that every time.

Zrzut_ekranu_111220_081129_AM.thumb.jpg.4bb73d5c607e3beaf6f66a8c846a6f23.jpgZrzut_ekranu_111220_081129_AM.thumb.jpg.4bb73d5c607e3beaf6f66a8c846a6f23.jpg

• Ex Employees

@rafal108

Thanks for these screenshots and updates. comparing your screenshot to the original poster, it looks like there are two separate issues being reported in this thread. We're investigating both of these issues now now. For anyone else seeing this, please verify if your entire app is blank like this report 

14 hours ago, Rafal108 said:

I have tried this but this doesn't help. Only the task manager termination and then again restart helps. But it is annoying to do that every time.

Zrzut_ekranu_111220_081129_AM.thumb.jpg.4bb73d5c607e3beaf6f66a8c846a6f23.jpgZrzut_ekranu_111220_081129_AM.thumb.jpg.4bb73d5c607e3beaf6f66a8c846a6f23.jpg

or if there is a white window displayed in the app like this report: 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, pedro guerra said:

I have a bug, i think its autoupdate error. 

This windows shows up every 10 seconds

img.png

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Austin G said:

@rafal108

Thanks for these screenshots and updates. comparing your screenshot to the original poster, it looks like there are two separate issues being reported in this thread. We're investigating both of these issues now now. For anyone else seeing this, please verify if your entire app is blank like this report 

or if there is a white window displayed in the app like this report: 

Thanks! 

My error is the white window displaying all the time, if i turn off the internet, i can use evernote normally.

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, pedro guerra said:

My error is the white window displaying all the time, if i turn off the internet, i can use evernote normally.

Thanks for verifying. We're looking into this now.

the screenshot you provided was also very helpful. thanks again!

I attached my logs beloew. @Austin G

2020-11-13 10:40:03.767] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:127:332)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:123:328)
[2020-11-13 10:40:22.861] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:127:332)
[2020-11-13 10:40:35.415] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-11-13 10:40:54.379] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.

I searched this error and found this issue that may help you to debug  https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/23722.

But please fix this error ASAP, or I have to move all my notes to OneNote and throw evernote away

Hi.

I've formatted my PC and re installed Evernote, but now this white loading screen stays forever..

The white screen disappears than appears loading again after 2 seconds, and stays doing this forever..

bug.PNG.1d57e438321188bd70aee08482dbe8cb.PNG

I use Windows 7 and this is the last Evernote version

On 10/31/2020 at 9:40 AM, gustablone said:

Same problem here! I tried to restart the computer, run the program as administrator, reinstall it. Still not working :( 

I solved it removing all the devices from the list in the mobile app. App Evernote -> Setup -> Account information -> Devices (remove all windows devices).

Sorry for my english, i'm brazillian.

Any of the latest versions of Evernote either direct from Website of MS Store provide a Blank Gui (See Attached). We (IT) are running McAfee EndPoint Security (10.7.0.1285) at our Campus along with an EPO Server and Agent Ver 5.6.5.236. We've found that Evernote is not fully reporting what is occurring in background to McAfee. The only way to resolve is to completely remove all McAfee products, reboot and the GUI launches as expected. Point being, your product has a compatibility issue with McAfee and as such isn't reporting the issue properly.

Blank.PNG

The problem persists...

The white screen keeps poping and the activity log appends:

[2020-11-30 16:34:33.814] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:103:332)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:99:328)
[2020-11-30 16:34:43.702] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:103:332)
[2020-11-30 16:34:53.905] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
(...)

On 11/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, outroRenan said:

Olá!

Como usuário do evernote free, me vejo em obrigação de ajudar.

Problema:

Esta janela branca, que não termina de carregar e por isso sempre volta, é uma janela que te avisa que você tem mais dispositivos no evernote que o permitido.

Solução:

Entre no evernote web e remova os dispositivos que excedem a quantidade permitida. Então este pop up para de aparecer.

Cara, era isso mesmo. Problema resolvido! Muito obrigado.

Uma coisa tão simples e dois profissionais do staff do Evernote não conseguiram identificar. Incrível...

Valeu demais meu caro!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Austin G said:

@bentong  @vicmarconi I've DMed you to request more info about this. Thanks for the report. 

Hi @Austin G, just so you know, the answer above from @outroRenan solved the problem. He posted it in portuguese, so I will try to translate it for you and the other users with the same problem I had.

It happens that the white window showing up again and again indicates that you have more devices using Evernote than you should. In my case, I use a free account, so I could have only two devices. The (very simple) solution is to go to Evernote web and disable the extra devices.

It worked for me like a charm.

Good luck for you all.

PS: I am not an english speaker, so if my text is no clear, please, fill free to ask me about anything that you couldn't understand.

• Like 2

I'm just coming back to the service after a while, have installed the latest Windows version of the client.

It's literally unusable, almost-constant repeated white screen is popping up with a green circle in it.

Known issue maybe? This is on 10.4.4

UPDATE: this is actually happening now on the latest legacy client as well. FWIW I'm using my Google login for access.

image.png.39b58a715fb5756a56b32d1b9e7796c7.png

• Evernote Expert

Can you provide a description of the steps necessary to reproduce the issue? I'm afraid that the screen shots don't tell me too much.

Typically issues like this can be resolved by completely removing the program including the data directory then installing from scratch. Otherwise, try the legacy version as a more stable alternative.

Hi. I did a fresh resinstall with last version and every 5-10 sec this white box come to my screen.

I dont know what is this or how to stop the app to do this.

This was happening before the reinstall (thats why I did)

Someone could help me? Or I cant use the app

Desktop Screenshot 2020.12.10 - 14.02.13.98.png

From others who have posted, it seems this is a box saying you're using too many devices. (v6 and v10 count as 2 devices even on the same machine - at least I'm pretty sure). It seems there's a bug displaying that page. Try going in thru the web interface and revoke a device.

• Thanks 1

Most people who have seen this have are basic users with 2 devices already registered. There's evidently a bad bug in the server where the page that tells you this is completely messed up. Log in to the web interface and use that to revoke a device's access (v6 and v10 count as separate device instances)

Edit: v6/v10 being 2 instances was a rumor I thought I'd seen in another thread - corrected below by Shane, so editing that out here!

2 hours ago, dcon said:

Most people who have seen this have are basic users with 2 devices already registered. There's evidently a bad bug in the server where the page that tells you this is completely messed up. Log in to the web interface and use that to revoke a device's access (v6 and v10 count as separate device instances)

I have the same problem and tried what dcon said.

It seems that when I login to web interface with 2 registered devices, the "keep-loading" screens appear in both Windows and web interface.

When I revoked one of the device's access, the screen disappeared.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:23 AM, gustablone said:

Hi @Austin G, just so you know, the answer above from @outroRenan solved the problem. He posted it in portuguese, so I will try to translate it for you and the other users with the same problem I had.

It happens that the white window showing up again and again indicates that you have more devices using Evernote than you should. In my case, I use a free account, so I could have only two devices. The (very simple) solution is to go to Evernote web and disable the extra devices.

It worked for me like a charm.

Good luck for you all.

PS: I am not an english speaker, so if my text is no clear, please, fill free to ask me about anything that you couldn't understand.

Thanks bro, this does work for me as an comprimising solution. Apppreciate you sharing it.

• Like 1

i only have used evernote on the website. i never download the window app and also don't use it on my phone. But the loading white screen still keeps coming back..... really annoying! 

i think i also need change to another app.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Shane D. said:

The white window that appears is related the your account reaching/exceeding the 2-device limit.

@Shane D.  Can you confirm @dcon's post that "v6 and v10 count as separate device instances"

14 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update.

We are in the process of addressing this issue and should have a fix implemented soon.

The white window that appears is related the your account reaching/exceeding the 2-device limit.

As a workaround in the meantime, if you encounter this issue please try revoking any devices that exceed the limit here:
https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

This should prevent the window from appearing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This fixed my white window issue. I just removed the windows device and kept the android and web. Thank you! 

55 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

@DTLow No, the is not expected behavior. If you are running v6 and v10 on the same device, it should count as 1 instance. Are you seeing where this is being counted as 2?

I had mentioned that as I thought I'd seen someone else post that in another thread. (I'm only running v6...) I'll edit (if I can) my post above...