How do I get rid of an uneditable, untrashable note that may be causing sync problems?

Since the upgrade to version 10 (Windows App) I have had problems with notes not being able to sync and disappearing (or the latest edits disappearing) when my internet connection drops, which it does frequently.

I reverted to the legacy version, which worked fine for a while, but started having problems syncing there too. It now won't sync at all.

I am now reduced to using only the web interface, which is not ideal, especially as my internet connection drops quite often.

I suspect the problems started with one of the crashed notes created earlier today. In the course of a sync failure, a note reverted to its initial state as a blank, untitled note in my default notebook (I lost all the content I had written and the tags, and I had moved the note to another notebook). I can't see it in my Windows app (not syncing) but I can on the web. However, I can't edit it and when I try to delete it, it keeps reappearing in my default notebook.

I suspect that this is a corrupted note, a product of the aforementioned sync problems. And now it is stalling the sync process with my Windows app.

Does anyone know how to get rid of corrupt notes like this?

Does it sound likely that it is causing my sync problems?

What do I do?

• Level 5

I had a similar issue with a corrupted note created on my iPhone, that was not deletable and had synced everywhere.

In the end I completely uninstalled, reinstalled and then could get rid of it. I think this needs to be done with the client where the corrupt note was created. Purging the client makes the note be removed, and this makes their twins deletable.

However, you may try support on this, because it is another client.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I had a similar issue with a corrupted note created on my iPhone, that was not deletable and had synced everywhere.

In the end I completely uninstalled, reinstalled and then could get rid of it. I think this needs to be done with the client where the corrupt note was created. Purging the client makes the note be removed, and this makes their twins deletable.

However, you may try support on this, because it is another client.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure the problem occurred with the new Windows app. I uninstalled it (using Revo to make sure all traces were removed) and reinstalled it but when I try to delete the note there, it just reappears, exactly as it does in the web version.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the legacy app but it just won't sync right up to date, so I can't see the note there anyway. I suspect that it is that very note that is causing the sync problem.

I also tried deleting the note in the Android app. There I am actually able to get the note to go to the Trash but I can't empty the trash: I get an error message saying the note has already been restored in another app.

I had already submitted a support ticket, to which I've added further details, but the automatic reply says they won't be able to reply for 10-12 days!!!!

• Level 5

With me the bad note got created when I selected 4 pictures in the camera roll, and used the „share to EN“ function to create a new note. It appeared a new note with 4 „loading“ circles, and that was it. It never concluded. In the end I had an empty note that was undeletable.

I could not delete it on the iPhone, and not on the other devices. It always came back.

What did the trick was to kill the v10-client where the note was initially created. I did not keep the data, I purged everything.

Although the cause was different, the problem was the same - an inconclusive note. Mine, because the new always-on instant sync failed when the internet dropped as I was writing.

Well, killing the V10 client and purging everything (I did the same - utter demolition job) didn't cure the problem for me... and I decided to try something that looks like it might have.

Having purged and reinstalled - and triple checked I couldn't delete the note there or anywhere else - it occured to me to:

1. Close the web app (just in case)

2. With the reinstalled V10 client open, TURN OFF my wifi.

3. V10 at this point warns that you're offline. I deleted the note and this time was able to find it in the trash. And I was able to delete it again, permanently. Yay!!!

4. I turned the wifi/internet back on, to sync. Thank *** my internet didn't drop out again while that happend.

5. The note doesn't appear to have returned and... best of all...

6. My legacy app as FINALLY resumed syncing.

So the corrupt note, caused by the stupid V10 constant syncing - which sooner or later is bound to fail anywhere that doesn't have a 100%-of-the-time stable internet connection -  WAS the problem that caused the legacy version sync to fail too.

Thanks for all your help, PinkElephant. 👏

• Like 2