Alt clicking (right click) on file on iMac pro retina (services) no longer shows the option to add to Evernote

I use the services option on my iMac Pro Retina (version 10.14.6) to add individual files to Evernote (by right clicking on the file) - however, since the latest upgrade this option doesn't appear in the dropdown anymore. What am I doing wrong ?

• Level 5

When script and shortcuts were dropped with the first v10 release, I investigated a little about that electron framework said to be the platform for the new EN clients. I have found no electron app to support scripting, and observed none that was advertising the use of shortcuts.

So probably the ability is missing in electron, and through this EN will indefinitely not be able to offer it. This is AFAIK a quite plausible worst case scenario for any app automation on Mac and iOS. If I would rely on it for an important use case, I would start to look for alternatives right away.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is huge mistake, if true—is it also why PopClip can no longer trigger EN?

I think it's finally time to cancel my subscription—I was a very early adopted of EN, and it's had it's ups and downs, but why they would remove this basic functionality and integration is beyond me.

What good is a note-taking app if I can't right-click text and add it to a note?

• Level 5

For the time being, you can install and run the legacy client of EN. I am not sure how long it will be supported (no assurances on that), but it works as it did before, and made it yesterday to BigSur when I upgraded my MacOS. Started as it did before, just continues to work with MacOS 11. So I think it is safe to use for quite a while.

Thanks PinkElephant - have tried that & seems to work Ok. The other way I've decided, which seems just as easy, is to right click, then choose 'Share', then email it to my evernote email address. Is a Tad quicker and just as effective. Looks like this way is only good for premium members though, not basic.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Apparently this is supposed to have been fixed in the latest upgrade  - EN 10.23.7 - level - Evernote Personal.

- Quickly add files to Evernote on your Mac! Right-click and select Evernote from the Share menu to create a new note with your file in it. (If you don't see Evernote in the menu, click More to open System Preferences, make sure it's checked, and drag it to the top of the list.)

Evernote does not appear in the drop down to add it. Using MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) - Big Sur 11.6

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You are late to the party: The option to share to EN was removed when v10 was launched, a year ago.

It has not returned since.

Usually you can work around it using the "Open with ..." option.

Edit: Share was added with 10.23, shortly after my post. Timing is everything !

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You are late to the party: The option to share to EN was removed when v10 was launched, a year ago.

It has not returned since.

Usually you can work around it using the "Open with ..." option.

It was added today! In 10.23.7. Working for me.

48 minutes ago, Gwyn Parsons said:

No. This is in the latest update that I did today! Besides I started this thread originally.....

I installed manually from the website (evernote.com/download) because I was looking forward to these fixes and didn't want to wait. Perhaps try the same, and see if that gets it fixed? If not, maybe a full uninstall, reboot, then reinstall might do it.

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

It was added today! In 10.23.7. Working for me.

I installed manually from the website (evernote.com/download) because I was looking forward to these fixes and didn't want to wait. Perhaps try the same, and see if that gets it fixed? If not, maybe a full uninstall, reboot, then reinstall might do it.

Sadly no. As suggested, did a full uninstall, scanned for any odd files left behind using CleanMyMac, rebooted and then re-installed EN. Still not showing in the Share Menu.1298773742_ScreenShot2021-10-13at3_20_46pm.thumb.jpg.a2dee6c98389b380c56b7cfc188623de.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gwyn Parsons said:

Sadly no. As suggested, did a full uninstall, scanned for any odd files left behind using CleanMyMac, rebooted and then re-installed EN. Still not showing in the Share Menu.1298773742_ScreenShot2021-10-13at3_20_46pm.thumb.jpg.a2dee6c98389b380c56b7cfc188623de.jpg

Take a look in the "added extensions" section in the top left of your screenshot. Does Evernote show up there?

On 10/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, Gwyn Parsons said:

Apparently this is supposed to have been fixed in the latest upgrade  - EN 10.23.7 - level - Evernote Personal.

- Quickly add files to Evernote on your Mac! Right-click and select Evernote from the Share menu to create a new note with your file in it. (If you don't see Evernote in the menu, click More to open System Preferences, make sure it's checked, and drag it to the top of the list.)

Evernote does not appear in the drop down to add it. Using MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) - Big Sur 11.6

Same here on my iMac Retina 27 inch machine...running Big Sur and latest Evernote...

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I am observing the same, no way to get sharing working on my Mac.

Support ticket is open, no answer from support yet.

Thanks for that. This was going to be my next move but couldn't find out (quickly) where to do it 😳. Will wait and see what happens. Cheers.

Received a reply from @evernotehelps that they "can confirm that this is an issue we are aware of. We recognize this is a feature mentioned in our App store release notes, and we're so sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Our development team is tracking and diligently investigating a potential fix that can be made through Evernote as soon as possible." So apparently we need to "stay tuned".

• Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

… stay tuned to your favorite radio station, maybe.

You can send any file directly into EN. Right click on it, choose „Open with …“ from the popup menu, select Evernote.App from the list, done. It is in fact sharing, it is just called differently.

I prefer another option: I made an import folder and placed it on my desktop. I can drag any file to it and drop it there. This creates a new note, right in the specified notebook, with the files name as title. And I have the file removed from my desktop, which means sharing and housekeeping in one go.