[Fixed in Version 10.8] Alt + s shortcut in Polish/Latvian keyboard issues for Windows 10 (10.2.4)

Piotas

Idea

I got a suggestion to you users: press the ‘Send feedback’ in the menu and beg them there to switch off alt + s on the Windows desktop app. The developers obviously do not see us here in the discussion forum. If many of us do so, they may notice. 

• Like 2

I finally find out how to request official support from Evernote. It was so hidden from me that I was not able to find out unless I go to the "Change subscription" menu and fill in the reason for downgrade the subscription. 

image.png.034a817cd96fda37ed9ea268d55b7d2e.png

But anyway, with this kind of an approach to the customer I will refine my Evernote needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PietroA said:

I got a suggestion to you users: press the ‘Send feedback’ in the menu and beg them there to switch off alt + s on the Windows desktop app. The developers obviously do not see us here in the discussion forum. If many of us do so, they may notice. 

Done a couple months ago. Never got any response. I already downgraded and linked to this thread in my answer to "why do you downgrade" question. No contact anyway.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jnizniowski said:

Done a couple of months ago. Never got any response. I already downgraded and linked to this thread in my answer to "why do you downgrade" question. No contact anyway.

I have just received an answer from the support: they know about the issue and don't have any solution except downgrading the app. They didn't share any plans nor provide any estimation when they are planning to fix it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
4 hours ago, Paweł Wojtal said:

They didn't share any plans nor provide any estimation when they are planning to fix it.

I received very same reply from them almost FOUR MONTHS AGO (!). They don't give a f* about this bug. Few thousands of unhappy users in some European countries - who cares?...

• Sad 2
15 hours ago, Paweł Wojtal said:

Bye bye premium...

Zrzut ekranu z 2021-01-27 23-31-51.png

if Evernote choose to ignore you, you may hit them where it hurts the most: their wallet - I did the same, because I do not like being treated like second class user.

• Like 6

obraz.png.58b9e1dbe7ef59207698e97ea92cda20.png

Well, look on the date when I received answer when I send request with this problem. And how you see, this problem still exist. So yes, I think this is time to end my adventure with Evernote

• Like 2
On 1/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, jmalicki said:

I guess it is still a thing?

Of course it is. They don't care, don't care at all.

Today (1st of February) they released version 10.7:

This is  unbelievable!!! They "added a new keyboard shortcut - open tag filters by pressing Alt-F2 on Windows". What an exciting news, especially for those, who can't use Evernote at all!

And still the bug described in this thread is under "Coming soon"... :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
32 minutes ago, Barabasz said:

Of course it is. They don't care, don't care at all.

Today (1st of February) they released version 10.7:

This is  unbelievable!!! They "added a new keyboard shortcut - open tag filters by pressing Alt-F2 on Windows". What an exciting news, especially for those, who can't use Evernote at all!

And still the bug described in this thread is under "Coming soon"... :wacko:

Latest Evernote greeted me with blank (white) screen and non-functional menu. I already lost hope they will solve issue anytime soon. I wonder how many developers they are currently employing, but not fixing app-breaking bug is not a way to go in a long run.

There is no point in keeping a faith in Evernote. They will not change for a better any time soon. They updated their business model with the fast food approach. They only care about the most obvious and unsophisticated needs of the majority of average users.

I have already happily moved 80% of my notes to another platforms. This month I plan to migrate the rest, and then cancel my premium and bye bye 😉

• Like 2

I find it a pity that they don’t understand Windows better, but I’m glad that Evernote changed. I think they do a very good job in modernising their software, and I don’t expect that they can incorporate every single old feature in that process at once. For a good story, see:

https://www.engadget.com/evernote-cross-platform-note-taking-app-redesign-interview-130026972.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWNvc2lhLm9yZy8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJmK7KNwtC2R5GOuyQM-6-TAOF7kVpOFm6Hi3Ek-I8zwQuV8GtRD72zbHo2UBOOFPWeJV5_pt2O_qP6eGjGOZ7EoE2ZPZ2h1_B5XH9FmqOWG5tfLHaWYjB7zGqEdnh2O0t5LsheDjyxAHMMveT78YawxQTonDirIl4pdSFduarnS

I keep working with the web version until the issue with alt+s is solved in the desktop version.

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, PietroA said:

I keep working with the web version until the issue with alt+s is solved in the desktop version.

Well, you will wait for a solution very long. I send another ticket to ask if they made any progress with resolving problem.
It is clear that they really don't see that as an issue, and any plan to repair it doesn't exist...

😕

obraz.thumb.png.0b92ccb98e65acfc4844f84169450b37.png

13 hours ago, Barabasz said:

What apps have you chosen? 

I clip web articles which I want to read later to InstaPaper - it also automatically send them to my Kindle

PDF's, docs, presentations, etc. -> business related (i.e. in MS Office format) are stored in OneDrive and private in Google Drive/Docs. Then I use links to them in various notes.

Most of my notes have been imported to OneNote (full MS Office version) and some (short/simple) to Apple Notes.

As you see I have chosen diversification and I'm happy with. I only miss EvN tags a little, but generally OneNote structure is more convenient for me. The best thing is that when I switch between various notes/notebooks/tabs and OneNote always remembers exactly the last position of cursor in the text. Therefore I can work with multiple notes without any scrolling and searching certain fragments again and again. ON remembers all recently used notes and the last cursor positions even after Windows restart.

• Like 3
On 2/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, Arthi said:

Well, you will wait for a solution very long. I send another ticket to ask if they made any progress with resolving problem.
It is clear that they really don't see that as an issue, and any plan to repair it doesn't exist...

😕

obraz.thumb.png.0b92ccb98e65acfc4844f84169450b37.png

Hi Camila,

to me, your copy/paste text about understanding our feelings does the contrary of what you might intend, because the alt+s issue is not simply a bug, it is preventing us from using the software at all because we cannot use our *keyboards* any more for any Windows application. We cannot write in our language any more also in all other softwares that are installed on our PC, not just Evernote. Instead of copy/paste a kind and understanding message to us, please raise some level of alarm to the programming team. Regards, Pietro 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, dcon said:

LOL!!! But the legacy version actually has far more functionality (so far).

Legacy is faster, more stable and has more features. No reason to choose v10 over v6.x so far, even if they solve system-wide keyboard conflict with several keyboard layouts (PL-PL included, I am the victim). New Android app is a performance disaster too - before I switched form 3 years old flagship to this year's flagship (with 12GB of RAM and newest CPU) I could barely use it, not to mention 30s wait on app start.

• Level 5

A user running into this bug (yes, it is one, quite obvious) can install legacy, and be done, until EN corrects it in the v10 client.

This starts to sound more like an ego thing than a real world problem that can’t be solved. There are many more deficits in v10 that make users run on legacy than this, most of them concerning ALL users. IMHO EN is doing good to first solve the things that everybody needs, before moving in on the specific issues for smaller user groups.

• Like 1

If you take into consideration a) how easy it is to change (they could just include simple switch options like for check spelling) + b) how many people it involves (all EN users from few countries, look at the popularity of this post on the forum) + c) how much it is debilitating (not only you cant write in en, but every program is affected) - it should be made PRIORITY. 

v10 has features which are not in v6 like colours highlights which for some are essential part of productivity.

I dont understand how they can focus their resources on new features like home button where basic features like this short-cut bug or even more problematic - the lag/slow issue is not solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There are many more deficits in v10 that make users run on legacy than this, most of them concerning ALL users. IMHO EN is doing good to first solve the things that everybody needs, before moving in on the specific issues for smaller user groups.

in my perception, EN is focusing on "features" nobody asked, but that will, in theory, convert a portion of casual user base into paid subscription - like the new "home" nobody asked, that is not-configurable unless you have paid subscription... ;)

In my perception current activity is cash grab and transition form power-user app into casual user base.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:36 AM, Kacuram said:

This is sad... So do you have any alternatives for Evernote?

yes, unfortunately even if alternative is much better than Evernote v10, most are inferior to legacy Evernote. My personal choice is Joplin but it is not suitable for attachment-heavy (text is its intended purpose).

• Level 5

10.8.4 is available - Win, Mac and web.

When I opened EN v10 today on my Mac, it was offered right away.

If you installed through an AppStore, it may take a little until it has passed the AppStore process.

The direct install is available from the EN web site.

7 hours ago, maattaa said:

That's great, thanks!

But why only for Global shortcuts? 

For example Ctr + N (new note) is also no good in Poland. 

I would like to decide about all shortcuts and adjust it to my preferences. 

Legacy didn't allow customizing the non-global shortcuts either. However, they should only be active when the application has focus so they shouldn't affect other applications. (Note, I don't run v10 so I can't check)

• Ex Employees
On 2/9/2021 at 11:25 PM, darekn said:

Problem solved - customized shortcuts with version 10.8.4

Thanks for the confirmation and thanks everyone for your patience. 

With 10.8 you can now edit global keyboard shortcuts to find the perfect combination of characters.  Here's How: 

1. Install 10.8 (see details below)
  2. Access the keyboard shortcuts menu by using Ctrl/Cmd + /.
  3. Double Click on the Screen Capture option to edit it. 

We're in the process of releasing 10.8 to all customers.  You can install 10.8 directly from https://evernote.com/download/ if it's not available from the Help > Check for Updates option as @PinkElephant helpfully called out. 

Note: App store installations do not have the option to check for updates. They receive the update automatically through a gradual rollout. If you'd like to switch from the app store to the direct download to get 10.8 now please uninstall the app store installation prior to installing the direct download

• Thanks 3

Dziś pobrałem nową wersję evernota. Pojawiła się edycja skrótów klawiszowych w zakresie zrzutu ekranu, gdzie był spory problem z literą "ś". Zostało to naprawione, jednak mam problem ze skrótem CTRL+n. Otwiera nową notatkę zamiast wprowadzić literę "ń". Nie mogę z edytować tego skrótu. Coś źle robię? Ktoś ma ten problem?  

4 hours ago, Feniks201710 said:

Dziś pobrałem nową wersję evernota. Pojawiła się edycja skrótów klawiszowych w zakresie zrzutu ekranu, gdzie był spory problem z literą "ś". Zostało to naprawione, jednak mam problem ze skrótem CTRL+n. Otwiera nową notatkę zamiast wprowadzić literę "ń". Nie mogę z edytować tego skrótu. Coś źle robię? Ktoś ma ten problem?  

What keyboard layout are you using? CTRL alone is not a language specific modifier. Thus CTRL+N is not a shortcut for letter "ń". AltGr+N is...

On 2/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, darekn said:

Problem solved - customized shortcuts with version 10.8.4

Yes, with version 10.8.4 they finally solved bug they created in November 2020 in v10.0.0

Is there any logic behind hiding key customization very deep inside HELP sub-menu related to shortcuts?

If I didn't read here it is solved somewhere, I wound't even search there, as PREFERENCES is still empty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Barabasz said:

What keyboard layout are you using? CTRL alone is not a language specific modifier. Thus CTRL+N is not a shortcut for letter "ń". AltGr+N is...

As default action, Alt-Grey+N (instead of "n accent"- ń) as default on PL-PL keyboard) open NEW Evernote window in v10.8.4 but fortunately this shortcut CAN be disabled.

7 hours ago, Feniks201710 said:

Problem w tym że nie da się wszystkich edytować - znów wpadli na literę słowianską.....

może masz na myśli konflikt Alt-Gray+N (czyli "ń") z New Window (CTRL-ALT+N) - ale ten skrót na szczęście da się wyłączyć.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above, it can all be solved with AutoHotkey script. Both alt+s and alt+n is fixed by running a following script in AutoHotkey:

Not sure, who is the original author. but credit goes to him/her. I've just added the alt+n workaraound.

RAlt & s::
If GetKeyState("Shift","P")
   Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

RAlt & n::
   Send {Text}Ń
else
   Send {Text}ń
return

Yet again AutoHotKey saves the day with ALT+N.

my code for AHK and working: 

; Evernote AltGr+S work-around

RAlt & s::
   Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

RAlt & n::
   Send {Text}Ń
else
   Send {Text}ń
return

Dear EverNote Team - please make sure in the next update that all polish diacritics are OK, i.e.:

a + LALT = ą

e + LALT =  ę

o + LALT = ó

s + LALT = ś

l + LALT = ł

z + LALT =ż

x + LALT = ź

c + LALT = ć

n + LALT = ń

On 2/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, TomaszS said:

Dear EverNote Team - please make sure in the next update that all polish diacritics are OK, i.e.:

a + LALT = ą

e + LALT =  ę

o + LALT = ó

s + LALT = ś

l + LALT = ł

z + LALT =ż

x + LALT = ź

c + LALT = ć

n + LALT = ń

Huh? Who uses Left ALT for this?🤔 Right ALT key is enough.

• Like 1