[Fixed in Version 10.8] Alt + s shortcut in Polish/Latvian keyboard issues for Windows 10 (10.2.4)

Piotas

Idea

45 minutes ago, Piotas said:

Evernote forces ALT-S shortcut for screenshot with no option to disable it. Alt-S is S-cedilla char in polish language on every single polish keyboard.

Current Evernote 10 is NOT READY FOR POLISH MARKET.

How to disable the shortcuts?

Isn't the shortcut for a screenshot alt-ctrl-S not alt-S?

20 hours ago, koralfx said:

Oczywiście mam to samo. Założyłem nowy wątek, zanim przeczytałem Twój, ale go zostawię. Same kłopoty z tą nową wersją...

To make it even more bizarre, Evernote 10 steals right_alt-S from Ś (S cedilla) on my Dell laptop (for screenshot), but doesn't on my old Windows 10 PC. Both PCs run Windows 10 with English locale and Polish (PL-PL) keyboard. On my old Windows 10 NO EVERNOTE 10.x GLOBAL HOTKEYS work. None of them.

I have the same problem that evernote 10.2.4, Windows 10 uses windows screenshots (shift + win + s) with shortcut (ctrl + alt + s) or (right alt+s ) and now I can't use it to type this Polish character  "ś" . Is there any option to disable shortcuts in new evernote ?

• Like 3

I confirm the same problem for the Romanian keyboard layout (the one for Programmers). On the old version I was able to disable it from the Evernote configuration, not so on the new version. I happen to also be a premium subscriber., but an application which does not have configurable keyboard shortcuts does not look premium to me.
Evernote, please fix this asap.

• Like 2

Hi I updated to the new Windows app. Currently v 10.2.4 build 1949 public

Thanks for introducing the dark mode. Unfortunately there is now no way to edit the keyboard shortcuts. The option in tools that the help/knowledgebase describes is not there. 

This is interfering with other applications I use which frequently use Ctrl + Alt + S as command to save documents but unfortunately this launches the Evernote screenshot mode. So I have to completely quit out of Evernote in order to continue working normally in my other apps. 

Thanks to your team for all the updates. Hoping this gets resolved soon.

Screenshot 2020-10-31 164408.jpg

• Like 4

Hi! 

I have the same issue. Shortcut ALT + S normally makes a polish letter "ś" and now i - after the upgrade to 10.2.4 build 1949 - it starts to make a screen shot.

And there is now no way to edit the shortcuts. So, as a consequence, use of my beloved Evernote is annoying and  much less ergonomic.

Please let me know, if there is a way to edit the shortcuts? Or is it shortly planned to be?

Best regards for the team.

I must confirm - we have the same problem. We cannot edit documents in Word having Evernote. ALT-S - instead of polish letter start up the screenshot procedure. Very annoying. 

Is there any other possibility to let us edit the shortcuts, like in the old version? Or do we have any other way how to solve the problem?

All best,

Jarek 

This is insane. Also The fact that the app language proofing stopped working in polish. What's worse, there is still no alternative to evernote we are stuck or go back to paper..

ALSO: RAlt + h opens a quick note window, this may be very bad for other languages. You should change every keyboard shortcut that uses a letter combined with RAlt without Ctrl.

For everyone looking for a temporary solution and knowing AutoHotkey, add this to your script:

RAlt & s::
    Send {Text}ś
return

This will solve the problem by disabling the Evernote shortcut and writing ś. ❤🤎💜

And you evernote team solve this quick........... thats insane .....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Michał Kuczek said:

For everyone looking for a temporary solution and knowing AutoHotkey, add this to your script:

Send {Text}ś
return

This will solve the problem by disabling the Evernote shortcut and writing ś. ❤🤎💜

And you evernote team solve this quick........... thats insane .....

Unfortunately this effects in sending "Ĺ›" and not ś. Maybe I'm doing something wrong :)

I asked about shortcut for Ś/ś  (alt-gr+s) during preview/beta stage (almost seven months ago...). EvN Product Manager acknowledged the problem, but later they ignored it in 10.x release.

Sadly, they also ignored many other requests/advises. Moreover, I have recently seen a lot of forum entries about possible data loss. It's bad. It's probably time to abandon this sinking ship...

1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

I asked about shortcut for Ś/ś  (alt-gr+s) during preview/beta stage (almost seven months ago...). EvN Product Manager acknowledged the problem, but later they ignored it in 10.x release.

Sadly, they also ignored many other requests/advises. Moreover, I have recently seen a lot of forum entries about possible data loss. It's bad. It's probably time to abandon this sinking ship...

Evernote 6 is a polished software (compared to competitive solutions), so unless Evernote management will continue to PUSH users to use the new version by forcibly removing support for syncing LEGACY version, we can continue to work "the old way" with Evernote Legacy (v6.x).

BTW Microsoft Store versions of Evernote 10 is lagging, devs didn't bother to update it with hotfixes they released...

On the other hand I recently noticed strange behavior of notes, some jumping from folders to trash. I hope it was caused by my slippery fingers, not sync issues...

***** ***!

• Like 1

I'm premium user for 8 years and fan of Evernote till ... upgrading to version 10. Issue with Alt+S and other changes (in my case changed "Find" feature, and lack of synchronization issues) cause now I need start finding out alternatives for Evernote after so many years?  Terrible. 

Alt+S is a real BLOCKER in my case, since I use evernote desktop app on daily basis and application is fully useless now.

9 hours ago, Piotas said:

Evernote 6 is a polished software (compared to competitive solutions), so unless Evernote management will continue to PUSH users to use the new version by forcibly removing support for syncing LEGACY version, we can continue to work "the old way" with Evernote Legacy (v6.x).

BTW Microsoft Store versions of Evernote 10 is lagging, devs didn't bother to update it with hotfixes they released...

On the other hand I recently noticed strange behavior of notes, some jumping from folders to trash. I hope it was caused by my slippery fingers, not sync issues...

Yes, but unfortunately EvN is not transparent about how long they plan to support legacy v. In comparison Microsoft always announce at least a year in advance and often more that some apps will be out of support at specific date.

There is a lot of reports on forum about issues related to notes inconsistency: people encounter duplicates, data/notes conflicts, some updates aren't saved, etc. So it may be not your fingers but EvN fault. Sadly they forgot the old rule for handling data - safety first.

The only new version which seems to work properly now is the new web-client run in a web-browser. Therefore currently I only use web-version or/and legacy app and in the same time look for alternatives like One-Note or Nimbus.

I'm too polish and i use polish keyboard layout. Combination alt+s generates polish letter "ś" . I cannot write this letter in the latest version of the evernote application. After alt + s snipping of the image opens within evernote. I do not want it. I can't write because of it. Do I have to stop using evernote or can this shortcut be somehow turned off or changed?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, koralfx said:

Zapisz plik z kodowaniem ANSI

Thank you, it worked :)

On 11/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Michał Kuczek said:

Maybe you have AltGr instead of RAlt on your keyboard, try replacing RAlt with AltGr in the script.

You can read more about RAlt and AltGr here: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#AltGr

AltGr didn't. AHK says it's not a correct command or sth.

Thnakfully ANSI fixed the problem.

Another Polish user here. Please fix this, Evernote is totally unusable now. I've warned my husband not to upgrade to new version. 

In the previous version of the app there was the same problem, but back then the keyboard shortcuts were customizable. Now I have to either use the web version (which is very disorganizing for me) or downgrade the app. Do find a solution, please. 

On 11/3/2020 at 9:30 AM, KWP said:

Unfortunately this effects in sending "Ĺ›" and not ś. Maybe I'm doing something wrong :)

The real cause of this issue is missing BOM header. Simply save the file as "UTF-8 with BOM".

For all those who want try this AutoHotKey work-around - check the attached file for a basic script. Download it and save as i.e. c:\AutoHotkey.ahk

Then simply start AHK with the file above as a parameter (you can paste the line below into command line):

C:\Programs\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe C:\AutoHotkey.ahk

It should remap AltGr+s into "ś" and AltGr+Shift+s into "Ś" (depending on whether Shift is pressed or not):

This is the script itself:

If GetKeyState("Shift","P")
   Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

AutoHotkey.ahk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi I'm using polish keyboard, where for certain letters in polish alphabet are used combinations of ALT key. For me is annoying ALT + S which makes using of any text editor in windows problematic because Evernote tool want to make snippet.

How to disable this keyword?

7 hours ago, Barabasz said:

The real cause of this issue is missing BOM header. Simply save the file as "UTF-8 with BOM".

For all those who want try this AutoHotKey work-around - check the attached file for a basic script. Download it and save as i.e. c:\AutoHotkey.ahk

Then simply start AHK with the file above as a parameter (you can paste the line below into command line😞

C:\Programs\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe C:\AutoHotkey.ahk

It should remap AltGr+S into "ś" and AltGr+Shift+s into "Ś" (depending on whether Shift is pressed or not):

This is the script itself:

Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

AutoHotkey.ahk 128 B · 5 downloads

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I've been already using AHK, and I have some scripts, but this one for some reason can't do the job.

Hello! i live in Poland so i use "ś"... but my problem is - when i try to write "Ś" or "ś" the screenshot tool opens and i CAN'T write "ś"... it's really problematic cuz i have desktop app... - any way to change screenshot tool shortcut? until then i can't even write... :(((( 

• Level 5

This seems to be a general problem with EN v10 on Windows. Since currently there are no settings, there is no switch to turn it off.

To solve it, uninstall and go back to the prior version. You can reinstall v10 once settings are added. You can also run both side by side.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This seems to be a general problem with EN v10 on Windows. Since currently there are no settings, there is no switch to turn it off.

To solve it, uninstall and go back to the prior version. You can reinstall v10 once settings are added. You can also run both side by side.

I don't like this attitude at all. I am going back to MS OneNote. Not the same but at least no stupid stuff occurring.

• Like 3
On 11/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

What on Earth are you talking about?! It has nothing to do with Windows!

There is a general problem with Evernote and your complete lack of elementary knowledge on keyboard shortcuts (language-specific layouts). 

Stop being ridiculous @PinkElephant, it's pathetic...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@BarabaszIf one stops or not is not up to you ...

The EN v10 client has no settings (yet). So if it installs and grabs global shortcuts while it does, it sends your settings to hell. You like to have your polish layout, I like to have my German layout, including shortcuts - install v10 and find out !

Were do you influence this ? You can maybe (as a very advanced user) try to modify the registry on this (good luck). My proposal as v10 is full of issues like this: Uninstall it, go back to the legacy version, let EN run some release cycles to fix the deficiencies. As long as legacy works, this is the most straightforward workaround for many of us. It is not a solution forever, because one day legacy will be gone.

Or did you have the same trouble with the old EN client for Windows as well ?

• Like 2
On 11/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, PinkElephant said:

@BarabaszIf one stops or not is not up to you ...

True, it is not up to me, but it is you who might look as a person who have absolutely no idea how keyboard shortcuts work.

When you're posting something like this:

Evernote mess this up entirely. Bunch of stupid morons. I feel sorry for them. For now I suggest to downgrade to latest legacy version. Just do this and that to roll-back. Shame on them, but that's the only option. 

it's OK. One might even have an impression that you actually care and want to help us. It's OK.

But when you writing something like this:

"unfortunately there are no settings in the new desktop clients yet. They will return with a future update, no roadmap, no date"

or

It's Windows. Stupid Windows. It should detect Evernote v10 and adopt to it. 

No, it is not ok because it doesn't help anyone.

On 11/5/2020 at 12:05 AM, jnizniowski said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I've been already using AHK, and I have some scripts, but this one for some reason can't do the job.

Can you tell us what the symptoms are? It doesn't work at all, or maybe just with capital Ś? Are you sure that you have Alt Gr on the right side of the space (there are keyboards with "normal" Right Alt - in that case you have to modify the script and add Ctrl as well).

You can add 

#Warn

at the top of your AHK script - it may reveal some warnings.

23 hours ago, baton1125 said:

yeah, me too... Somebody fix problem?

Unfortunately you have only 3 options:

1. downgrade to to latest legacy version,
  2. use keyboard scripting language for Windows like AutoHotkey and script like this one,
  3. get rid of Evernote and use something else instead :( 

After 10+ years of using Evernote I'm thinking on third option myself. Sad but true. Evernote developers completely disregard users. Even if they fix this particular bug - who knows what kind of disaster they'll bring upon us in the future...

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Barabasz said:

Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

Best solution - thanks. Gonna use it until they fix it. 

@Barabasz & @PinkElephant I am also furious what EV did to us. I use EV every day for many years mostly to gather info from web pages. To continue I had to downgrade to legacy version. You are right they should never ever publish this "something" as new version. Were they pushed by competition? If so it may be a suicide due to ... you know all are pointing for couple of days. Yes there are so many basic errors that it seems most of the staff are so unexperienced programmers? I think the wrong management is the issue. They simply play with us, customers. I have OneNote installed but last used it 20 years ago? To keep my research I need a proper tool not a promise "we are aware and we will do something in the future". As in auto-response mail helpdesk manager asked me to wait for a few weeks for an answer it shows that they lost control over what they are doing. We will see in the next few weeks if they still want loyal clients.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Good analysis - they really messed up this one.

Now the way out of a situation is rarely the same one that got you there in the first place.

Just need to look at it from their side: First they nearly killed themselves over the attempt to support 5 distinct, native clients. They got stuck by this, loosing any foreward momentum (no new features, probably eroding customer base, new competitors all around etc.). Then they took most staff from being productive, and send them for retraining to learn JavaScript and else. After that they probably worked long hard hours to get a new, streamlined and unicoded platform released. This means 2 years in which things got worse, not better, for users and the company itself.

There is no way back to the initial situation - and if, it would be the same stalemate as before.

For now I positively hope they get their act together, bugs ironed out and missing functions released - quick. If not, I am sure I will not be alone migrating.

• Like 2

After upgrading to the latest version I feel really disappointed :( With no support to disable/change hotkeys  preferences it's definitely useless for Polish users, I needed to close the app permanently since there is no way to use polish letters even when creating Evernote notes (what is totally ridiculous). As a premium user I'm really fed up with it.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 12:11 PM, Barabasz said:

Can you tell us what the symptoms are? It doesn't work at all, or maybe just with capital Ś? Are you sure that you have Alt Gr on the right side of the space (there are keyboards with "normal" Right Alt - in that case you have to modify the script and add Ctrl as well).

“Ś” works fine, “ś” works only when Evernote isn't running. If it's on, AltrGr + s is catched by Evernote for screen capturing.

Yes, I have Altr Gr, it's literally written on the keyboard 😉

#Warn is uncommented, but it doesn't warn me about anything.

Hi @jnizniowski

12 hours ago, jnizniowski said:

“Ś” works fine, “ś” works only when Evernote isn't running. If it's on, AltrGr + s is catched by Evernote for screen capturing.

That is very strange. Let's forget about capital "Ś" for a moment. Can you check what will happen if you put in your script file this rule:

RAlt & s:: Send {Text}ś

Noting more, just this one line (let's be sure no other rules interfere with that one). 

2 minutes ago, Barabasz said:

Hi @jnizniowski

That is very strange. Let's forget about capital "Ś" for a moment. Can you check what will happen if you put in your script file this rule:

RAlt & s:: Send {Text}ś

Noting more, just this one line (let's be sure no other rules interfere with that one). 

Now I can't type capital “ś”, and it still doesn't work when Evernote is on the background. I suspended other scripts, but it didn't help.

11 minutes ago, jnizniowski said:

I got an update to 10.3.6 today, but it doesn't fix the issue…

Don't be surprised - they didn't do anything about our problem. 

Here's what they did:

• Issue where selecting a note in a stack or the trash required two clicks
  • Occasional issues with dragging large ENEX files to the note list
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes
  • Stability and performance improvements

Unfortunately lack of preferences/keybord-shortcut settings - which is a critical bug - was not included in "Miscellaneous bug fixes"... ( @Shane D. who cares about "note in stack" while we can not use Evernote entirely!). 

7 minutes ago, jnizniowski said:

Now I can't type capital “ś”, and it still doesn't work when Evernote is on the background

The thing that you can't type capital "Ś" is OK (it wasn't cover by this rule),  but AltGr+s should produce lower case "ś"

If this basic rule doesn't work for you - there must be some other issue :( I'm sorry that the AHK is not working in your case.

• Like 2
On 11/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, dharoo777 said:

Hey guys. Iam next one who are pissed off new verion.

In my case even AHK doesnt work.  

BTW, iam abaout 10 years premium user. Maybe a lot has changed since then. 

Can someone recommend other applications?

I'm currently testing OneNote (full Office 365 version). Not bad, but with some limitations. MS promised refinements and new features for 2021.

I'm considering to export and split my EvN notes between OneNote, Apple-Notes and Google-Docs. I will probably decide in February as my EvN subscription ends then.

Whole thread about alternatives

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

Then they took most staff from being productive, and send them for retraining to learn JavaScript and else.

And many of us who worked on platform specific clients have gone on to other things. (Robotics is way cooler than office apps!)

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and working to resolve it.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update.

I think you should stop sending invitations to upgrade to polish users. I wish you didnt encourage me to install a faulty version.

• Like 1

Hi.

Problem with this shortcut right_alt+s is't annoying - this is serious! We can't work now with open Evernote on Windows...

In previous version this was solved by option to change shortcuts...

How long it can take to fix it? I hope not so long like issue with paste text with space on front (if you paste text with space on first place, the space is removed - irritating) I was informed, that support know the issue and they are working to fix it - that was almost TWO years ago.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, Kolmir said:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full Office 365 version).

I have one serious problem with OneNote, unfortunately. The philosophy of the program. All those notebooks, tabs (sections), notes and notes inside notes (floating text-boxes - the free-form canvas concept) - I hate it. ;) This information architecture doesn't convince me at all. OneNote is much more polished and powerful, no doubt about it (especially "inside" the single note). But all I want is to make very simple notes (usually plain text, headings, lists, images and attachments - that's why I'm missing Markdown support in Evernote). And I need powerful (instant!) search engine. OneNote is a giant combine harvester. And I need a bicycle. So far Evernote was my bicycle, but now it is completely broken (I can't use Windows when Evernote is running, i can't use pencil 2 on my iPad, etc). Owners and developers don't give a *****. Sad but true. 

On the other side - I have an Office 365 subscription and I will have (I think it is the best office workspace and I am using OneDrive cloud as my primary storage). So OneNote is in a certain sense "for free".

By the way - here is an interesting comparison:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2488890/desktop-apps-onenote-vs-evernote-a-personal-take-on-two-great-note-taking-apps.html

• Like 2

💔This problem also exists for

English Intl Keyboard Layout

and

Alt(right)+s -> german letter ß 🇩🇪

which is kind of important, because i can‘t write lots of german words with the new evernote update. it keeps screenshoting while typing and i can‘t change hotkeys! please make the hotkeys configurable.

• Like 2

Well,

Today I got a letter from support promoting new version 10.3 as "issue solving".

I started with checking Release Note and found: The most recent version is 10.3.6 build 2001. Released November 8, 2020.

Coming soon

• Global keyboard shortcuts

So this is a confirmation that they are aware of the issue and put it "on hold". We know they had a report on the issue from beta testers something like 10 months ago. And decision makers simply ignored it.

As we can see from the post above it influenced German users.

I understand that EvN is concentrating on less demanding markets using plain US keyboards.

So I have spent last two days on converting my 4338 notes into OneNote. It took me over an hour to open 128 notebooks in OneNote. I had to copy some of them manually. I still have to merge some of my notebooks into one due to different notebooks structure in OneNote. I have to reformat many notes, delete doubled graphics, resize pictures caused by conversion issues. I have to learn how to properly use this new tool. I actually noticed that notes are much more flexible, there are a kind of stickers, free-form graphics etc. And I do not think that they forget about a... keyboard.

• Like 3
On 11/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, dharoo777 said:

Can someone recommend other applications?

There are plenty of them, you might find this reddit thread very useful:

So far I tried myself:

• DEVONthink - unacceptable: no Windows/Android version, it is also way too complicated
  • Joplin - could be great, runs very fast, has Markdown support, but it has ugly snippets/notes list and it must be self hosted (which one might find as an advantage but still synchronisation is not so smooth like EN does)
  • KeepIt - unacceptable: no Windows/Android version
  • Nimbus Note - this one is very interesting because it brings experience very similar to Evernote; there are two missing features though: no annotations for images and no pencil input support (I don't care about the second issue since Notability is my app of choice for handwriting notes/sketches) - here I summarized my experiences: Evernote vs Nimbus Note - is it worth to switch to?
  • Notejoy - it is focused on teams rather than personal use
  • Notion - an "all-in-one workspace" not for people who wants only note-taking app (it is overcomplicated)
  • OneNote - too complicated (in my humble opinion), but it is a very polished stable software, well designed, feature reach, and if you have already Office 365 subscription - it is given you for free; currently I'm transferring all my notes to OeNote using this tool to test performance (it is very slow by the way).

I hope this give you a hint. Still you should install and try each of those programs yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Barabasz said:

There are plenty of them, you might find this reddit thread very useful:

So far I tried myself:

• DEVONthink - unacceptable: no Windows/Android version, it is also way too complicated
  • Joplin - could be great, runs very fast, has Markdown support, but it has ugly snippets/notes list and it must be self hosted (which one might find as an advantage but still synchronisation is not so smooth like EN does)
  • KeepIt - unacceptable: no Windows/Android version
  • Nimbus Note - this one is very interesting because it brings experience very similar to Evernote
  • Notejoy - it is focused on teams rather than personal use
  • Notion - an "all-in-one workspace" not for people who wants only note-taking app (it is overcomplicated)
  • OneNote - too complicated (in my humble opinion), but it is a very polished stable software, well designed, feature reach, and if you have already Office 365 subscription - it is given you for free; currently I'm transferring all my notes to OeNote using this tool to test performance (it is very slow by the way).

I hope this give you a hint. Still you should install and try each of those programs yourself. 

I agree that lack of multi system support is unacceptable this days. I use five devices: Windows computers, Android phone and iOS tablet :)

My experience include use of Dropbox to sync files among devices. It is not very fast. I wonder how Joplin keeps in such environment.

Export functionality of OneNote is comparable to EvN. Besides .mht and .pdf there are Word files. EvN can import OneNote files directly, in OneNote there is a separate application. It should be E on the list.

Regarding OneNote I may say that export from EvN and conversion to OneNote is one-time process even I had 10 or so errors for manual correction. The problem is opening all notebooks in OneNote, reorganize notebooks and reformat some notes. EvN has much "clear" notes than OneNote. I use desktop application since sometimes I have to use it without network connection.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 11:54 AM, jnizniowski said:

Now I can't type capital “ś”, and it still doesn't work when Evernote is on the background. I suspended other scripts, but it didn't help.

Use this code / AHK script by @Barabasz:

Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

Worked for me.

The longer script:

Send {Text}Ś
else
   Send {Text}ś
return

is just "human-readable" equivalent (but not the same) of this two AHK's hotkeys (<^ stands for left Ctrl, and >! for right Alt, + is Shift):

<^>!s::Send,ś
<^>!+s::Send,Ś

I choose this longer form just to make it very clear what this script actually do. Normally either both should work, or none of them - but from my experience monitoring just right Alt (and checking if Shift is pressed) is more reliable.

You guys are insane, how can you not know that languages around the world have so called diacritic characters. But even that would be okay, but how on earth could you remove ability to adjust keyboard shortcuts? I just can't believe how stupid decision that is. Bring the options back, immediately, please.

Luckily the legacy version can be installed. 

On 11/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, Barabasz said:

This is not "an issue" @Shane D. This is a complete disgrace of the entire Evernote development team. No proper testing, no quality assurance, lack of customer experience. This is unbelievable neglect. Top of discredit. Shame on you.

There is a critical bug in your software (yes it is!) that should be fixed immediately (actually this release, with such extreme bug, should never go public! It's unbelievable what you have done!) We can only see that you absolutely do not care about users who are using Polish, Latvian, Romanian etc. keyboard layouts. You don't respect our money. You respect nothing. And the only solution you are giving is to roll-back to legacy version. Shame on you @PinkElephant... 

Never take control over system-wide keyboard shortcuts. Never. Which part of this fundamental rule is to hard to understand to you @Shane D.?

Can't agree more on this. The new app is a total disgrace!

EVERNOTE TEAM - YOU ARE FIRED.

And give my money back!

• Like 2

Few days ago I wrote an email to Evernote Support about this critical bug. I described very clearly that for us, for thousands of users all around the world, not only from Poland, this is not "an issue". We are simply unable to use Evernote at all.

Finally I received and answer. Guys, you won't believe it.  You. Will. Not. Believe. It.

I apologize for the inconvenience this had caused you. As a workaround, I would advise to save the diacritic sign so that you would just copy and paste it whenever you need to put it in Evernote.

Polish "ś", Lativian "š", Romanian "ș" or German "ß". Save somewhere. To copy and paste. 

They still don't realize, that we have to completely close Evernote to use other apps because they grab system-wide shortcut!

Seriously: WTF?! I'm speechless...

• Haha 9
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, Barabasz said:

They still don't realize, that we have to completely close Evernote to use other apps because they grab system-wide shortcut!

Seriously: WTF?! I'm speechless...

It sounds like the final proof that current EvN team have no idea about a proper UX design (Software ergonomics).

• Like 3

Well, yes, they are right! I was in the middle of correcting Word document and suddenly screen frozen, greyed out I could do nothing. After a minute or so I realized it is EvN screen grabber. So I copied "ś" and paste it into sentence. This was the first thing I did to finish my document. What was the next one? I closed EvN. EvN gave me no other choice. It was the only way I could switch off keyboard shortcuts.

The problem with EvN is more serious, I believe. It is not the problem that they do not understand what they did. It is the problem that they are not able to understand what they did. It is so simple and so horrible. They read fora where problem is explained in hundreds of posts and they still do not understand that users in Poland, Latvia, Romania or Germany are faced the decision: if I start EvN I will not be able to use Word, Excel, write mails, use web browser to access documents, Acrobat, even file explorer, calendar, contacts, MS Teams, Notepad, OBS, photo editor and any other tool when they need to type theirs' diacritic signs.

I returned to legacy version of course checking what EvN will do with shortcuts. I started to search for possible alternative solution because I have to work and need tools for that across many devices. Having OneNote I experiment with importing my notes. It went better than I expected. After reading fora and getting e-mails from helpdesk I assumed that EvN decided to drop many customers. So good luck.

I am reorganizing and cleaning my notes in OneNote for a few days. It is time consuming process due to three-tier notes structure in OneNote instead of two-tier in EvN. I agree EvN is cleaner, simpler and easier to use than OneNote.  I am not saying OneNote is the best one - there is a long list of alternative solutions. But I have it now and it works for me, to some extent. At this moment I am sure I won't come back to EvN.

• Like 4

Hello Everyone.

I have noticed that my evernote has updated automatically from 10.1.7 build 1902 to 10.2.4 and now I have the same problem with polish character ś. Is there any way to block update (using hosts file) etc. Luckily I have got prior installer file but it's making a little bit annoying to reinstall app everyday. 

Thanks for your help.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Chalmi said:

After almost 20 days no patch for this critical issue? I paid for it but because this issue I can't use Evernote for such a long time. Support where are you?

The "patch" at this point is to go back to the pre V10 version of your chioce.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 11/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, Shane D. said:

On 11/14/2020 at 9:37 AM, Zbigniew said:

The problem with EvN is more serious, I believe. It is not the problem that they do not understand what they did. It is the problem that they are not able to understand what they did.

For example, they zhould change s to z for underztande thiz izzue. Thiz iz not the zame letter . Like W and UU ? What the diffrent?  Both are doube U.

11 hours ago, CalS said:

The "patch" at this point is to go back to the pre V10 version of your chioce.

... And after some time back to v10 again ... and than in case of other issue go back to pre V10... such approach not convince me.

Additionally I reported this issue on September 18, and after two months you recommend me to go back to pre V10.

Shortcuts are not a big deal and if the team can't solve this problem for two months the question is about more serious problems and new features.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chalmi said:

... And after some time back to v10 again ... and than in case of other issue go back to pre V10... such approach not convince me.

Additionally I reported this issue on September 18, and after two months you recommend me to go back to pre V10.

Shortcuts are not a big deal and if the team can't solve this problem for two months the question is about more serious problems and new features.

Nope. Sit on previous version until V10 is fixed.  If previous version is dropped and V10 doesn’t get fixed, pick the best alternative in the marketplace and move.  Just no upside I see in using V10 if I can’t do what I need to do.  

I don’t want to be viewed as a positive stat by piddling in V10. 

• Like 1

Two weeks passed already and what about the patch for this ALT + S ?  

I quite don't get why so many changes had been introduced - the app was great. Did someone need to justify their paycheck  by changing so many things or what? 

• Like 1