Checklist Feature Works Differently Now

Checking an item in a checklist now changes the font to gray and adds strikethrough formatting to the checklist item. Previously, the formatting did not change. That was my preference. The new behavior makes the checklist feature unusable for my purposes. Would appreciate an option to be able to check an item and have the only visible change be the addition of a checkmark.

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Checking an item in a checklist now changes the font to gray and adds strikethrough formatting to the checklist item. Previously, the formatting did not change. That was my preference. The new behavior makes the checklist feature unusable for my purposes. Would appreciate an option to be able to check an item and have the only visible change be the addition of a checkmark.

We have two options: checklist and checkbox

The checkbox does not do strikethrough

• Like 1
  • Level 5

... but the checkbox item will not create a checkbox the next line when you hit enter.

To make a checklist of checkboxes, type the list without checkboxes, then select it all and hit the checkbox icon. This will not delete the text and replace it by a checkbox (everything is possible with v10 ...), it will place a neat checkbox in front of each line of text.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@DTLow thanks for the tip! I hadn't noticed the distinction before. Unfortunately, the checkbox isn't working for me. When I select it nothing happens. In fact, none of those Insert menu items is working for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hmmmm - for me it works, it creates a little box that can be checked and unchecked again. When checked it is marked with an „x“ and set to green.

You can even add 2 or more behind one another, or several ones in one single line of text. That comes handy if you want to create a checklist template in an organisation, that people can use for structured feedback. You get more on a screen when you can have more than one box in a line.

image.thumb.jpeg.b293f48ac6c855f0b5041b370d82359e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ee56461c07ec22318b94f4a02c1bf63.jpeg

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My desktops (Mac & Windows) still run on "legacy" ...

I found the problem. The Insert menu only works when the individual note is detached from the larger Evernote application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, PinkElephant said:

... but the checkbox item will not create a checkbox the next line when you hit enter.

To make a checklist of checkboxes, type the list without checkboxes, then select it all and hit the checkbox icon. This will not delete the text and replace it by a checkbox (everything is possible with v10 ...), it will place a neat checkbox in front of each line of text.

But this isn't a workaround! I add to my checkboxes in a document over time. Previously I could just hit return and another checkbox would be created (without a checklist). This is the functionality we want back

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, DTLow said:

Actually, the checkbox does do strikethrough—which I do not want. But under some condition it doesn't!

image.png.c7353c5bfe6778af5a32c1f9f9cf6879.png

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Checkboxes and Checklists both show as strikethrough:

You posted a screenshot of two ckecklists

fwiw  Technically, a checklist is simply checkboxes in a list

17 minutes ago, DaveS said:

To see this, create a checkbox, check/X it, then hit Enter.

The problem is that if you put a checkbox at the beginning of a line and then press enter at the end of the line EN will assume you want a checklist and will convert it! It's not that checkboxes sometimes get a strike through it's that EN thinks that a line which starts with a checkbox should be a checklist. In your "checkboxes" in the screen shot they are a checklist because they have a tick not a cross and I can see the drag handle for the middle checklist box.

You can either put a space before the checkbox or press delete to reject the change and then enter again. Either way you won't get a new checkbox on the next line so will have to insert one again. The easiest way is space[] ({space}{left square bracket}{right square bracket} which is probably quicker than using the insert menu.

image.png.8e1eb2e3de370a070b822f33ca2e56f7.png

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Mike P said:

The problem is that if you put a checkbox at the beginning of a line and then press enter at the end of the line EN will assume you want a checklist and will convert it! It's not that checkboxes sometimes get a strike through it's that EN thinks that a line which starts with a checkbox should be a checklist. In your "checkboxes" in the screen shot they are a checklist because they have a tick not a cross and I can see the drag handle for the middle checklist box.

You can either put a space before the checkbox or press delete to reject the change and then enter again. Either way you won't get a new checkbox on the next line so will have to insert one again. The easiest way is space[] ({space}{left square bracket}{right square bracket} which is probably quicker than using the insert menu.

Thanks, Mike P, for explaining about the difference between checkboxes and checklists of boxes. Thanks, also for the suggestion but it's of limited help. Here's what I tried:

1. Insert a new checkbox on a blank line with no CB/CL either before or after. 
  2. Type some text.
  3. Click on the box to check it (to x it).
  4. Press Enter (text now gets strikethrough).
  5. Press Backspace.
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Insert new checkbox (via square brackets: []). New CB is now indented.

image.png.2c04c90b13907330c0552cfeaae0841e.png

This all seems like a lot of bother to try and recreate something that worked great before. 😣

Edited by DaveS
finish editing
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

It is very simple to know one from the other:

• If you have a checkbox, and strike it, it will show an „x“, and it will not show the text as strikeout
  • If you have a checklist, and strike it, it will show an ✔️, and the text will be striked out.

Because a checkbox is a formatting item, whereas a checklist is an active item, you can even place a checkbox inside of a checklist, and click it off independently from the checklist function (see picture). Checkboxes is the old concept, checklists is the new format to create lists of items to be checked.

I doubt there will be changes to a new feature that just got introduced with the new editor.

5FF360ED-55CC-4B21-B6C7-B03C506DB8B5.jpeg.7f96a7a06b265794d6e3e04c417efc9e.jpeg

55 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks, Mike P, for explaining about the difference between checkboxes and checklists of boxes. Thanks, also for the suggestion but it's of limited help. Here's what I tried:

1. Insert a new checkbox on a blank line with no CB/CL either before or after. 
  2. Type some text.
  3. Click on the box to check it (to x it).
  4. Press Enter (text now gets strikethrough).
  5. Press Backspace.
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Insert new checkbox (via square brackets: []). New CB is now indented.

image.png.2c04c90b13907330c0552cfeaae0841e.png

This all seems like a lot of bother to try and recreate something that worked great before. 😣

I find that if I don't use any menu commands but simply input the check boxes through the keyboard it works fine. You must remember to put a space before the []

So typing:

{space}{left square bracket}{right square bracket}{space}some text{enter}{space}{left square bracket}{right square bracket}{space}some more text

gives me

image.png.fda6f0360175e861b91d7b0df70c08cb.png

As you can see there is a one character indent but this is much less than the checklist. The old [x] trick for a completed checkmark also works (and also for checklists)

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

New CB is now indented.

It's grey so it is not a checkbox it's a checklist. Checkboxes are always green. I think in step 7 you may have forgotten to enter the space before the square brackets - at least that is how I can reproduce your screen shot..

35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is very simple to know one from the other:

• If you have a checkbox, and strike it, it will show an „x“, and it will not show the text as strikeout
  • If you have a checklist, and strike it, it will show an ✔️, and the text will be striked out.

The grey vs green outline of the box is also a give away.

A lot of discussion here about the differences between Checkboxes and Checklists. Helpful distinction but I think there's a bug here that is creating problems.  I have had a Checkbox shopping list for a long time.  Everything seems to work on my PC Desktop version but my iPhone is where I see the bug.  Using my existing shopping list when I start at the end of an existing Checkbox item and hit Enter I not only get a Checklist bullet (creates a strikethrough) but it changes the whole section to a Checklist.  This is not what happens on the Desktop app.  When I look at the Desktop app after I have performed the action described above on my iPhone, I see Bullets in front of all the Checkboxes that got converted to Checklist.  When I use the Desktop app to select all of the lines and undo the Bullets and sync my iPhone it will display my original Checkboxes again. 

Last week I noticed that something was wrong but it was different then.  The behavior described above was noticed just yesterday.  Last week I would hit Enter at the end of my shopping list and I would get NO checkboxes at all on the next line - completely different behavior.  I suspect they are trying to fix the bug but created a different bug.

Also, I HATE that they have removed the down arrow icon to get rid of the keyboard.  Now you have to swipe the whole screen down and then back up again to return to your place in the list.  Like the arrow icon was SO in the way!  Arghh!  Does Evernote monitor this forum?

• Like 1

I have a slight different problem with checklist.  I used to be able to have a number list with checklist in v6.25.1.9091.  Now, I can only have numbered list or checklist.  I cannot have both numbered list and checklist together.  If you add the next line/item, both the number and the checkbox will appear together.

spacer.png

Does that mean that I have to use numbered list with checkbox in v10?  If I use checkbox with numbered list, adding next line will have next number, but no checkbox.

• Level 5

Try this:

Write the list, either right away with the numbers option on, or without.

Select it. Switch the numbers on, if not already set.

Open the menu behind the „+“ button left over the soft keyboard. With the numbered list selected, hit the Checkbox option.

Behind the numbers, checkboxes will be inserted.

Hint: When adding to the list, the numbers will continue, but not the checkboxes. These need to be set manually again.

0EC1E9B4-3AD2-4AC0-8191-C3B2CDB6BD2D.jpeg.588372e365d8f24727c54089fe8311ed.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I do NOT like this checkmark feature with the strikethrough when checked.

1. I can't read what I checked off after checking it.

2. My page looks totally sloppy with all these gray lines scattered throughout. 

Please bring back Option to just add a checkmark without the strikethrough!

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 4:41 AM, Karate61 said:

I do NOT like this checkmark feature with the strikethrough when checked.

1. I can't read what I checked off after checking it.

2. My page looks totally sloppy with all these gray lines scattered throughout. 

Please bring back Option to just add a checkmark without the strikethrough!

I do like them. The checkbox option still exists (insert -> checkbox or [] (<open square bracket><close square bracket>)). If you need one at the beginning of a line just add a period first.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

I do like them. The checkbox option still exists (insert -> checkbox or [] (<open square bracket><close square bracket>)). If you need one at the beginning of a line just add a period first.

Sweet...thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys... I've been tormented with this formatting problem with an existing shopping list I've successfully used for quite a while... It's a big list of ALL the things I commonly buy, so I only check off the items I need to pick up, so the line-through thing is really annoying in my case (since the thing I need to pick up now has a line through it). Anyway, here's my work-around, hope it helps!

1. Find an open space free of existing checkmarks (a return before and after)
  2. Click on the Blue "(+)" button 
  3. Click on "[x] Checkbox" from the table that appears (green checkbox appears)
  4. Type in your word but DO NOT hit return (else it goes into the new format). Instead, simply tap on the line below it. Repeat 1-4 with the next item on your list.

Hello to all. It's not a bug, I know but I don't understand this choice.
If I press ENTER why you have to convert all my checkboxes in checklist?
I work a lot with checkboxes(pic attached) and now it's really unusable.
On PC i can use the legacy version, but in the web and android version why I have to put up with this incomprehensible choice?
Thanks.

A checkbox it's not a checklist.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, StèWhite said:

On PC i can use the legacy version, but in the web and android version why I have to put up with this incomprehensible choice?
Thanks.

Yes, and it does the same thing on Windows and iPadOS. And it's just as annoying there. I have to devise awkward workarounds to make use of this new checkbox. 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, WengaMeista said:

Type in your word but DO NOT hit return (else it goes into the new format). Instead, simply tap on the line below it. Repeat 1-4 with the next item on your list.

That works but for me I hitting enter is second nature so for me it is not the best option. Typing the 4 characters . [ ] <space> is far more reliable for me 

On 3/29/2021 at 1:28 PM, StèWhite said:

Thanks.

A checkbox it's not a checklist.jpg

I totally hate this too!

To create a list of checkboxes that doesn't go crazy when you hit <enter>, try this:

Simple list

-[]<space>simple 1<enter> or -<checkbox>simple 1<enter>

Item list (indented)

<indent>-[]<space>item 1<enter> or <indent>-<checkbox>item 1<enter>

evernote1.jpg.82d9cbe57f8635d4421d8a382f567411.jpg

Works with Windows and Android. Using the dash <-> (or another character) is key to this working. I tried using a <space> before the checkbox, but Evernote stripped it out and converted the list to a checklist.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2021 at 11:30 PM, PeteMacca said:

To create a list of checkboxes that doesn't go crazy when you hit <enter>, try this:

Simple list

-[]<space>simple 1<enter> or -<checkbox>simple 1<enter>

Item list (indented)

<indent>-[]<space>item 1<enter> or <indent>-<checkbox>item 1<enter>

evernote1.jpg.82d9cbe57f8635d4421d8a382f567411.jpg

Works with Windows and Android. Using the dash <-> (or another character) is key to this working. I tried using a <space> before the checkbox, but Evernote stripped it out and converted the list to a checklist.

This works, thanks! I was using the space [ ] workaround, but then that stopped working.

I've actually started to grow accustomed to the checklists and like that you can easily move items within the lists, but ideally we'd have seamless access to both checkboxes and checklists without having to use workarounds.