There’s just nothing quite like Evernote....

So there is lot of frustration about the new Evernote and a fair bit of it is justified. I think many of us have tried out other notes providers, maybe out of curiosity or maybe a desperate desire to move on. I have been the former, I like playing with notes software to see how it works and get an understanding of it. 

What I have found is that even in its most basic form nothing quite gets close to what Evernote has even at this buggy moment. Notion - what even is it, takes longer to work out how to do something than do it, it doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. Nimbus, seems ok but the iOS app is slower than pigeon deliveries. Amplenote - has potential but way too expensive.  Notejoy shows a lot of promise but it’s search doesn’t follow into notes and highlight search terms so not much a point in that. Joplin - no wysiwyg editor, without that it’s not an option for me, it’s also so pig ugly it’s actually distracting. I’m not covering locked to platform apps like bear and keep it as they are not in the same scenario as the others, they are locked down for a select few. 

I don’t mean to rail on those above notes platforms, it just strikes me that even in my frustrations there is nothing that quite does what Evernote does as well as Evernote does it. If they can resolve the bugs and improve communication it can be in a strong place. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

in its most basic form nothing quite gets close to what Evernote has

It also depends on your priorities   
Evernote provides an integrated editor, but it can be quite basic.  Some users favour more extended editing  
For me, the editor is essential, but I don't need extended features   
My focus is on the organizational capabilities   
I also extend the UX with scripting (Mac)

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It also depends on your priorities   
Evernote provides an integrated editor, but it can be quite basic.  Some users favour more extended editing  
For me, the editor is essential, but I don't need extended features   
My focus is on the organizational capabilities   
I also extend the UX with scripting (Mac)

True enough, for me multi platform, tags, powerful search and a decent editor are the key things. Bonus are decent export (we don’t have this yet), forward in emails, offline notebooks. But we all have different needs. Just striking for me despite many options none really has the same spread for me. 

54 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

What I have found is that even in its most basic form nothing quite gets close to what Evernote has even at this buggy moment.

Exactly.

So many messages here and on Reddit regarding alternatives. In almost every case it ends up being "Oh, you should try [Notes App of the Day Here], I switched to it after using Evernote for 10 years and it's everything Evernote should have been! It's just missing x, y, and z - it doesn't sync well and they are working on a web clipper that may be almost as good as Evernote's eventually. Their editor kind of sucks but they have a roadmap showing it may be usable in the future!"

Obviously that's exaggerated, but there is a very common trend to all the alternative recommendations. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, tjthayer said:

Exactly.

So many messages here and on Reddit regarding alternatives. In almost every case it ends up being "Oh, you should try [Notes App of the Day Here], I switched to it after using Evernote for 10 years and it's everything Evernote should have been! It's just missing x, y, and z - it doesn't sync well and they are working on a web clipper that may be almost as good as Evernote's eventually. Their editor kind of sucks but they have a roadmap showing it may be usable in the future!"

Obviously that's exaggerated, but there is a very common trend to all the alternative recommendations. 

Yeah, I’m trying all of em cause I enjoy it, but I just keep seeing glaring things I can’t adjust to. It’s quite striking that even in this weakened state there’s not one app I’d recommend as an alternative. 

I've tried Notion, Nimbus and Joplin. Not impressed with any of them. Notion is a polished product - but it's not really an Evernote replacement (more like apples-to-oranges, not apples-to-apples).

I think the only serious alternative is OneNote, which is overall a good product -- but both times I've tried to switch to it (only for the cost savings) I came back to Evernote. I managed to stick it out for a year the last time, but I was never really happy with it.

• Like 3

In the past 12 months I’ve moved my notes out of Evernote into all of the following multiple times:

Notion, OneNote, Apple Notes, Bear and Day One.

All have their benefits and detractors but none could replace Evernote totally.

The only app I’ve kept stocked with my notes during that time is Evernote. It is a perfect balance of form and function. It can do heavy lifting but is great for small notes too.

The new v10 has a really nice UI which I’ve been experiencing on the web betas for over 12 months. There are some old functions which are missing, but we know they are coming back. There are also new features coming now that the developers can innovate once again thanks to the new unified code base.

• Like 1