Disable Google Doc Link Conversions

aukirk

Idea

Currently when you paste a link to a Google Doc, it converts it to a box that appears similar to an uploaded document.  However, it doesn't provide any option for an inline preview like you can for a PDF and ultimately it is just a fancy link to the Google Doc.

I have experienced unintended consequences from this when I use the Google Doc as a hyperlink with set anchor text.  For example, often I may highlight certain words and add a link to the Google Doc.  Once set up, it initially works as expected/intended.  However, if I cut and paste that text into another note or another area of the note, when pasting it converts those links to the embeded box and I lose my anchor text.

Here is a before screenshot, showing an example where I pasted a URL on the first bullet point that converted to the embeded "SK Escrow Status 10/12/2020" box.  However, the other blue hyperlinks ("MT Open Balances..." and "Other Open Balance..." are hyperlinks to specific tabs on that Google Sheet:

image.png.27fb1bea493f03a6eb8c834c6bf8f80f.png

When I copy these rows and paste them into another area of the note, here is what I end up with (not what I want):

image.png.6dd6e7395c0726a5a09e423d0deacbd7.png

3 replies to this idea

@chpe6 I am not sure when they made this change, but I have noticed lately an option to convert the embedded link to a normal link (click the three dots). It is a pain, but does seem to get rid of the big rectangle for the embedded Google Doc