Evernote helper not working

Ok, got some more info. I had it installed from the app store. I uninstalled it and installed it directly from Evernote, it all worked fine. So I uninstalled it again, downloaded it from the app store again, and the problems back. So the issue seems limited to App Store downloads, not direct downloads from the Evernote website.

By the way, installing Evernote from the App Store uninstalls the Legacy Version automatically. I doubt it's supposed to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

This is quite normal for the App Store Version. In fact it is exactly the same software as from the web site, but from the App Store it executes in a sandbox mode. Had trouble before with it, and since I only run direct install versions, it is doing fine.

With Catalina, make sure it got all the permissions in Mac settings, privacy & security.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

This is quite normal for the App Store Version. In fact it is exactly the same software as from the web site, but from the App Store it executes in a sandbox mode. Had trouble before with it, and since I only run direct install versions, it is doing fine.

With Catalina, make sure it got all the permissions in Mac settings, privacy & security.

Yeah, permissions all fine and correct. 

• Level 5*

It looks like a selection can only be saved to Evernote.  Is there any way to save it to the clipboard?  Windows had a nice option where by pressing the ctrl key you could select saving it to the clipboard instead of Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 10/29/2020 at 7:05 AM, markdolph said:

When capturing a selection of the screen, the Helper Window doesn't recede or move out of the way. 

I'm not seeing this but I have no secondary display attached.

• Level 5*

Screen Capture - creates empty notes

Scratch Pad - creates note with text
                       - scratch pad is not cleared

The Evernote Helper notes are sitting in my local Evernote (Mac)
There's no syncing to the server

Restarted app - all new helper notes disappeared

Markdoph, that sounds super annoying.

I don't have a fix but I sympathize with you mang.

Also, I"m having trouble with my Evernote Helper.  It used to be able to store so so so many clips, and I'd pick & choose which ones to drag into a new note.  Seamless.

Now, it creates a new note automatically with each clip.  Not what I'm looking for at all.

4 hours ago, thekianspecial said:

Also, I"m having trouble with my Evernote Helper.  It used to be able to store so so so many clips, and I'd pick & choose which ones to drag into a new note.  Seamless.

Now, it creates a new note automatically with each clip.  Not what I'm looking for at all.

I assume these issues will be fixed in an upcoming release.  

I'm starting to get used to Version 10.  However, it is frustrating that Evernote releasing software with such serious bugs and omissions.  

On the mac, I've started using stickies as a substitute for the Evernote Helper scratchpad.  I use parallels as a virtual machine, and the parallels toolbox has an excellent screen grab tool.  All is not lost

I've utilized evernote helper previously to help jot down thoughts and clip sections of the page to organize my notes. However, after updating to 10.2.4, the only screen capture that works is to capture the current screen. Although there are two other buttons for capture a window or selected area, they do not respond after I click on them. Does anybody else have similar issue? This really takes away a huge value of this app. 

Similar issue. Mac OS. Window or screen capture via the Evernote Helper only captures from desktop 1, despite initiating the helper from another desktop. Also, no crosshairs are generated to allow making a selection for a selection capture.
Extremely frustrating! I am submitting a support ticket as well.

2 hours ago, o_m_r said:

Similar issue. Mac OS. Window or screen capture via the Evernote Helper only captures from desktop 1, despite initiating the helper from another desktop. Also, no crosshairs are generated to allow making a selection for a selection capture.
Extremely frustrating! I am submitting a support ticket as well.

I can capture from other desktops, the problem is that the Evernote window closes in its desktop when I capture a region in another desktop.  

Evernote doesn't close when I do a screen capture in the desktop that Evernote resides.

Thanks for submitting a ticket.  I think an Evernote employee administers this forum, so I'm hopeful they'll pick up our conversation.

• Level 5
On 10/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, s2sailor said:

It looks like a selection can only be saved to Evernote.  Is there any way to save it to the clipboard?  Windows had a nice option where by pressing the ctrl key you could select saving it to the clipboard instead of Evernote.

Mac has a newer keyboard shortcut: cmd-shift-5. You can then chose whether to save a clip to the desktop, or the clipboard. This is more versatile than evernote helper.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Peter Olins said:

Mac has a newer keyboard shortcut: cmd-shift-5. You can then chose whether to save a clip to the desktop, or the clipboard. This is more versatile than evernote helper.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I opened a ticket and support directed me to uninstall then reinstall Evernote completely. 

Short answer, that worked for me. I have full function of screen, window, and selection capture, and regardless of which Mac desktop I initiate from.

Long answer: I was using the Mac App Store version, and after uninstalling and the reinstalling that version, the issue persisted. Then I uninstalled but reinstalled with the standalone version, and everything works properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, o_m_r said:

I opened a ticket and support directed me to uninstall then reinstall Evernote completely. 

Short answer, that worked for me. I have full function of screen, window, and selection capture, and regardless of which Mac desktop I initiate from.

Long answer: I was using the Mac App Store version, and after uninstalling and the reinstalling that version, the issue persisted. Then I uninstalled but reinstalled with the standalone version, and everything works properly.

It worked. I uninstalled evernote then installed it from the evernote website and everything works as intended. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, HKPINC said:

It worked. I uninstalled evernote then installed it from the evernote website and everything works as intended. Thank you!

It's January 2021 and the App Store version still doesn't work. I wonder how long it will take until the developers figure this out.

Yup, I had the same experience, and benefited from the same fix strategy.  After the update to 10.6.9, Helper would no longer perform various screen, window or selection captures.  So, I uninstalled Evernote, then reinstalled 10.6.9, as downloaded from the Evernote website, and all is good now.  A remaining issue for capture is that invoking it from Helper causes the windows to switch.  One has to 4-finger scroll back to the window of choice, while the camera icon remains active, to work on the desired window.  Since Helper is in the menu bar, this should be agnostic to which window is in front.  I hope for a future fix. 

• Level 5

Regarding AppStore installations: The software is the same as the direct install, but when installed via AppStore, it runs in a sandbox. This is nothing the developers of the app can change, it is set by Apple and done to make these installations super-safe. But sometimes safety stops functions.

So if there is a problem with interaction (on any app, not only EN), it is always worth a try to install it from the developers web site instead of through the AppStore.