I can not export all notes in Mac version 10.1.7

Mesoman
Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

Idea

In the old version, I could export all notes by going to All Notes, then clicking on one note, the SELECT ALL (COMMAND-A).

This no longer works - it only selects 50 notes at a time.

This is a *huge* problem - I rely on those exports as my last-ditch backup.

Is there some other way to do it or is it time to revert to the old version?

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
  • Solution
3 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

Is there some other way to do it or is it time to revert to the old version?

You can right-click a notebook and select export   
Personally, I'm using the Legacy version

Thanks! and I might do that. But, to save everything, I'd have to put all my notebooks in one stack. On the other hand, since I switched to tags, I don't really need a notebook hierarchy.

I switched to tags so I could build hierarchies - so I could browse in that way. But, they just somewhat broke tag hierarchies too with this latest release.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Pechkin said:

I would suggest to export notes one by one, this is also a 'solution', but slightly not what we expect

I would suggest to export notes by notebook; this is supported in the Version 10 product

• Level 5

The note-notebook-relation gets lost on export. So you would end up with a heap of notes missing the notebook information when exporting more than one notebook at a time. By creating a file per notebook you know all notes in there belong into this notebook.

Anyhow exporting is not meant as a every day procedure. For a backup simply use a standard backup solution and make a copy of the EN data base.

In what has (to me) just been the final nail in the coffin of Evernote's decline I realised recently that Evernote 10.5.7 for Mac will no longer let you select more than 50 notes at once. This is an issue for me because I need to back my data up regularly (if you're wondering why I need to do that: I just don't feel safe leaving my whole life's work in the hands of a VC-funded Silicon Valley company that has proven over the years that it is constantly just a couple of bad decisions away from complete collapse). 

Has anyone here found a workaround to back up their data with this version?

Follow up question - has anyone found some interesting and more trustworthy alternatives to Evernote and ways to export? Have had a look at Notion, Evernote, OneNote but none seem to do quite what Evernote do (their abysmal implementation notwithstanding)...

• Like 1

By no means a complete response to your point about backup but ...

I think you can backup a notebook regardless of the number of notes all at once.  Click on the sidebar to select Notebooks, then on the resulting display right-click on the notebook you want to export and hit Export.

Using 10.5.7, I just exported 685 notes into an ENEX file (788 MB in 14mins).  I used evernote2md (in Homebrew) to get a markdown version of the files with links to images and documents (560 MB total, in under a minute) ending up with 685 notes, 1827 images, and 202 files that were previously embedded.  Not bad for recovery although some issues in "rendering" but depends on lots of things too.  Many of these are somewhat older web captures.

Of course the big problem is that there is not a way to integrate across all the notebooks to do the per notebook backup.  Hopefully, there will be a replacement API to replace the AppleScript approach coming.

• Like 1

I used to export monthly the notes that I changed, also by selecting All Notes, order by the change date and then export as ...

This workflow is broken (as many others), because of the restriction to 50 notes.

I cant think of any app that restricts a list of basic items it deals with to be restricted to only 50 to manipulate.