Recurring Reminders

antpugh

Idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Recurring Reminders have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Recurring Reminders here!

• Like 1

Just a quick, small feature request. I'd like to have the ability to set up recurring reminders. I use Google Calendar for actual appointments, but I'd like to be reminded to read specific Evernote notes on a daily basis. I've got them listed in my shortcuts area, but there are other items there too, which complicate the daily review thing a bit.

Dave

• Like 4

"To date EN has not shown any inclination to implement recurring reminders, which have been requested quite a few times."

This kind of thing, regardless of the company (and Evernote isn't the only one I've seen do this), has always baffled me. I can understand a company might not implement a frequently-requested feature, but it would seem to make sense that the same company would at least explain the reasoning behind it. Transparency in customer relations is the "new black."

• Like 4

This is such an important feature for ongoing longer assignments or projects. Considering how many luxury and nice features Evernote has, this is a massive miss. Wunderlist, To-Do, Todoist, Google Keep, third party integration with google tasks etc all have recurring reminders with a final due date. When Microsoft finally move from wunderlist over to to-do, I'll be moving my projects and files over unless this is addressed by then. I can't imagine this is such a difficult feature to build considering a relatively tiny tech company CloudCal (10,000 downloads of their app in the play store) has managed to implement this. It is such a pity on what is otherwise the best information/project management tool out there. 

Come on Evernote, 
Zed 

• Like 4

I am pretty sure I brought this up in 2014, 2015, 2016, and here it is again.   It's one of the main reasons I am constantly on the lookout for the 'better solution' of which there is none.  I have tried DevonThink, Nimbus Note, OneNote, etc.  They are each good at a couple of things but not as feature packed, or as 'clean' as Evernote.  But if Nimbus can create repeat reminders, why can't Evernote?  People have been clamoring for this feature for years.  It's just the votes have been reset.  

The best workaround currently is using the Swipes service.  It's free to use.  It's available on the web, iOS, Mac, and Android.  I am not sure if there is a Windows app.  But essentially you tag a note "swipes" in Evernote, and Swipes will pick it up in their app as a task.  You can then schedule the note with repeat functionality.  Each "checkbox" in the Evernote becomes a subtask to the title of the note in Swipes.  It works pretty well, and who knows, it may work better than Evernote's eventual solution. 

• Like 2

I believe this a vital feature and could see how it would be over looked. Other than reoccurring it would be nice if you could set multiple reminders for one  notebook aswell. Say you have some specific task each needed to be reminded of a separate times, it would be handy then.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On July 10, 2016 at 10:59 AM, thepond said:

I rely heavily on the ability to set alarms to repeat for the same dates on a monthly basis. These are quite useful in billings ... that recur same date, month after month.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Sounds like a good idea. I'd also like to be able to "snooze" an alarm without resetting it completely. 

I'm not enthused with the Notification system in EN Reminders

I use a service to sync my reminders to my calendar which provides more extensive features.  This helps, but I find the best feature set for alarms/reminders is outside of EN

• Like 3
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Matt W. said:

@thepond,

I understand where you are coming from on this on the reminders in Evernote and this is something we are looking into improving. Cronofy is designed as a go-between application that connects existing calendars and is not designed to make you have to use "another application" to accomplish a task. You enable it and it is something you don't have to mess with.

This is more or less a solution while we continue to improve Evernote.

I just signed up with Cronofy yesterday to try it out, connecting Evernote to my Google Calendar, and so far it's working well. One advantage is that GCal alarms can be snoozed (on my phone). Of course once Cronofy creates the GCal event corresponding to the Evernote reminder note, it would then be possible to make the Google event repeating, though I have no idea what this would to to the EN note--duplicate it endlessly?

Dear everybody! (Sorry my poor english.) I need the repeat function also. Not other calendar or either program, Only repeat. I do a reminder, and I need this reminder every month, and will be good, it makes automatic. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, come on Evernote. For me, THIS IS A DEAL-BREAKER. Unless you provide a fully featured reminder system I'll be breaking my premium subscription by the end of the year....  I need this functionality to make my notetaker the complete one-stop organiser it should be. 

Just a quick qualification - Nevikk (June 14). We can already have multiple reminders for one Notebook, because each note gets one reminder. I think that you mean multiple reminders in each Note...?

I would find multiple reminders in each Note really useful too because most of my projects have a final submission date but are broken down into steps, usually as a check list. I could have a fresh note for each todo but that stop me from having a clear view of the whole project on the single overview note that I use. I often end up changing the overview note's reminder date for each step that I complete and keep the final submission date in the overview note's title so that I don't forget it. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Tiago Balbé said:

I suggest implementing in-app improvement. Add the possibility of registering a recurring reminder, similar to what already exists in google keep.

Hi.  Suggested many times before,  though I can't find a voting thread for this - I use a third-party calendar app for reminders.

• Level 5*

I have note related reminders, but few are recurring.  It's not a priority for my use.
As a work-around, I use my Reminders tool  (Apple Reminders) with a link to the note.

A primary feature request discussion is at 

I am really surprised that in 2020 Evernote still doesn't offer such a basic option.🙄 And it's not even a hard programming task. So please Evernote: Use the money I am and a lot of other users are paying to you, to fulfill these kinds of user requests.

• Like 1

I just tried to come back to Evernote after using Keep for a few years and was shocked to find Evernote still doesn't  have recurrent reminder capability. Is there a reason it can't be implemented or some other reason why Evernote refuses to make it a feature? It's not even part of the Premium package. Seems like a missed opportunity. Oh well, back to using Keep for now.

• Like 1

I am loyal to productivity apps.  I would like to use Evernote reminders to fulfill my need to integrate reminders with my OUTLOOK calendar.  Right now I can use the iPhone "reminders" app, which is slick, but just one more app to use.  There are many EVERNOTE users who are asking for this functionality.

I am on-board...please grant this feature.

Thanks

+1 here as well.

Having the ability to do more with one product is more and more important.  Yes there are other apps that can do reminders and alerts, but it is not a stretch for evernote to provide this.

• Like 1

This would be a great idea. Adding reminders was a great step forward, but it's a little surprising that this wasn't included from the beginning. Allowing recurrent reminders would be a very natural step.

• Like 6

+1 - this feature would be a complete godsend!  :)

I had a look at the QEver app, its nearly there, but you can't use Notes already created in Evernote... which is a bit of a pain. I'm currently using an app called Due on iOS which works great, and so I think I'm gonna stick with that until Evernote steps in with our feature requests!!!!!

I also really need recurring reminders. I was going to ask for the ability to set reminders on the Windows interface, but I see that that feature will be released soon. Thanks:-)

Also, one minor irritant with the reminders is that if I have several of them waiting for my attention in my notification shade (Android - Jellybean), and I must turn the phone off and then on again, the reminders do not reappear there. The other reminder app I was using before always made sure that if I rebooted the phone while there were still reminders unaddressed, that they would ding at me again and patiently wait their turn in the notifications as soon as the phone turned back on. As it is now with Evernote, if I must reboot, those reminders have the potential to be forgotten and buried.

But overall... THANK THANKS THANKS for a wonderful product! Evernote makes my life so much more productive.

I just signed up for the premium service. Evernote is the best kept secret in the mobile world IMO.

Recurring tasks would be awesome. I would also like to suggest the following:

1) Persistent reminders for overdue tasks

2) Option to regenerate tasks "after completed" rather than on a fixed cycle. If I had a task to wash my car last Friday, and I didn't get to it until today, I'd like the next alarm to be X days from today, not the original due date.

I suggest you take a look at Google Tasks Organizer, which is what I currently use, and it syncs with Google Tasks. I'd love to move all my tasks to Evernote, and will do so as soon as the functionality described above is available.

Thank you for making this great app and for your continued support for new features on Android.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Sadly Evernote are impervious to bribery,  not to mention ambush, attack, barrage, battery, belligerency, blackmail, condemnation, denunciation, flattery, incursion, invasion, maltreatment, mishandling, mistreatment, molestation, opposition, oppugnation, resistance, or violence.  However they do improve things with time,  so we can all hope...  Besides waiting is much cheaper than any of the alternatives and involves rather less effort.

:P

• Like 3

It can't do any harm to add another vote for the recurring reminder feature. Ideally from my point of view it would be something along the lines of being able to set a single reminder for a single date as now plus the option to set a daily, weekly or annual reminder. For me at least that would be plenty and if I need to remind myself any more than that about something then I really ought to start looking at the task and doing something about it rather than just setting reminders and changing them  :rolleyes:

Considering that Remember the Milk has Evernote integration, I was actually wondering if the recurring feature in RtM updates the reminder in Evernote.  Just a question that occurs to me reading this thread. :)  So I did some research and edited this post.

First:  ...and I just finished reading the thread and found that article mentioned above.   And per RtM's blog, the reminders can repeat.  Can be a nice workaround in the meantime, I guess?  Or are there limitations that I haven't found yet?

Second: Limitations that I've found in two minutes after making the last edit.  The integration between RtM and Evernote is based on the Evernote's Webhooks feature.  That feature does not allow integration with Shared notebooks and Evernote for Business at this time.

Third: One more issue I've found.  The sync between RtM apps to Rtm servers is limited to once every 24 hours.  However the sync between Evernote goes directly to RtM and back... and there doesn't seem to be a limit on THAT sync method.  However, I would prefer to work with the RtM app in my tablet rather than just rely on RtM web app for my reminder management needs.

Conclusion: Using RtM will enable repeat reminders and other task management tools.  However, for full functionality across all platforms at Evernote's level (along with location based reminders), you'll be paying $25 a year.

So yeah, consider this my fully researched +1 for a repeat reminder baked into Evernote itself.  RtM is very powerful, and very nice.  However, I would prefer it to sync to my tablet more than once every 24 hours.  I could work around this using the web app, but I'd like to be able to make changes into RtM itself whenver I need to do so.

If you could add this feature, it would make my life complete!!!!

So it would be a reminder/alarm at a regular period ie. every Monday at 10am, the last day of each month, every day at midday etc. etc.

Another vote for recurring reminders.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

A possible workaround in the mean time is to create an IFTTT (if this then that) recipe to create new notes at the specified interval.

http://www.matthewkimberley.com/evernote-reminders/

Good thought,  but that script will only generate a new note,  it won't (unless I misread it) allow me to set my regular Wednesday evening meet-up as a reminder and repeat it for every second Wednesday in the month like Google Calendar will...

Don't Google send reminder emails if requested?  You could always have that reminder email sent to your Evernote account email with a suitable header...

• Like 1

Don't Google send reminder emails if requested? You could always have that reminder email sent to your Evernote account email with a suitable header...

Google calendar will send an email (or SMS, my choice) for appointments if you have that option selected in the reminders section of an appointment. It's probably one of the top 5 reasons I use Google Calendar.

The criteria that can be used as triggers for IFTTT with the Date & Time Channel are the following:

• Every day at
  • Every hour at
  • Every day of the week at
  • Every month on the
  • Every year on
Doesn't look like you could do "every second Wednesday in the month". Might be a good feature request for IFTTT.
As I mentioned, this is just a possible workaround, just like the Google Calendar could be used. Maybe if you "invited" your Evernote email address in Google Calendar, they would get a reminder?
Naturally, best would be native recurring reminders in Evernote itself, but hopefully folks that need it can use one of the options discussed in this thread in the meantime.

Have fun!

I want to clarify - recurrent reminders would be great, but what I'm looking for is the ability to "snooze" a reminder.  E.G. when I get the reminder email, if I could hit "Reply" and email back a typed out date and time in standard format, it would reset the reminder with that date/time.  Or something like that.  That would be the bo-dizzle.

• Like 1

Ben350, thanks for clarifying. what you're asking for is different than what's being discussed here.

You're searching for a snooze feature, while we're talking about recurrent reminders: e.g. birthdays, or getting the trash out every Tuesday, or (in my case) paying the taxes every 3 months.

You can "snooze" by clicking on the reminder icon or the date, and modifying the date to tomorrow. Involves 3 clicks...

• Like 2

+1 for me too. I have several recurring items and I want daily reminders of them. At the moment I don't have weekly etc. reminder needs but its value is clearly obvious. It's been a while too since it was rumoured / let slip so I hope it will be sooner rather than later please.  :)

• Level 5*

For those using EN and RTM, you can create a reminder for an EN note, and then in RTM, modify the reminder/task to recurring. Would that mess anything up on the EN side?

• Level 5*

There's also FollowUp.cc - pretty much the same service as far as I can see;  you can email reminders to your Evernote address (if you set it up) so you get a correctly dated note for each repeated event.  CC your own email address for a direct headsup.

There is a fantastic & easy to use site from which you can easily set up recurring reminders from Evernote.

Go to FolluwUpThen.com. The possibilities are almost limitless.

I love FollowUpThen.com. Even have the paid version. Mostly, I use it to send SMS reminders for emails I need to act on. 

I have found a way to create recurring reminders for Evernote with a litte help from Gmail and Google Calendar.

Maybe it is helpful for someone who is missing this feature until Evernote hopefully implements it.

There are a few possibilities out there in the web. But I wanted a free one and also one in my favorite eMail application.

1.  Create a recurring calendar event in Google Calendar with a title, reminder,

the notebook-name and a tag like:

Newsletter !tomorrow @Office #marketing

Newsletter     your reminder title

!tomorrow     your reminder 

@Office         your notebook

#marketing    - your tag

IMPORTANT

Don't forget to activate, that you will be reminded to this event by eMail.

2. Go to "Settings" in Gmail

- Klick on Forwarding Pop/IMAP and then on "add forwarding-address"

- Place your Evernote eMail which you are using to forward anything into your inbox.

It's an email like xxxxxxxx@m.evernote.com and safe it.

Google will send directly (after you confirmed) a confirmation code to your Evernote eMail (xxxxxxxx@m.evernote.com)

Go to your Evernote inbox. The eMail from Google lands there. Grab the confirmation code and paste it at Gmail to confirm your

Evernote adres.

3. Set a filter in Gmail

- Go to your Gmail account settings. 

- Set a new filter and place to the "FROM" field this address: 
   calendar-notification@google.com

- Click on "create filter with this search results" at the bottom right.

- Then activate "forward to", and choose your Evernote eMail (which you have activated in Step 2)

Save your filter.

Done! I have tested it, it works very well.

You are now able to set recurring calendar events for Evernote in Google Calendar.

Google Mail forwards now calendar events with an activated eMail reminder from calendar-notification@google.com 

to your Evernote address. Evernote places the event including the reminder the specified notebook including the tag. 

There is just one issue when I am right. Correct me please, if I am wrong:
You always have to set up your recurring reminders to "one day before", 

because there is no option in Evernote to specify a time for a reminder in the subject.

Example:

When you wanna be reminded regularly on a Friday, you have to set your reminder to thursday,

because you are using !tomorrow in your subject.

That's it. Hopefully this is helpful for someone.

Regards.

Note: Please Evernote. A small fine task management with recurring reminders would be really fine.

• Like 2

I was using some IFTTT recipes (for similar functions, but without reminders), now than I know how to forward with gmail, I should consider this way. Thx, I learn something today :)

• Like 1

I was using some IFTTT recipes (for similar functions, but without reminders), now than I know how to forward with gmail, I should consider this way. Thx, I learn something today :)

Thank you very much.

I have tried it with IFTTT before and it is by far not so easy to use like this workaround. 

Oh I don't think it's hard.

Trigger in gCal : event from search (to control a little)

Action in EN : create a note

And a title like your for the calendar event.

No ?

My personnal recipe use the "append a to-do to a note" so I have a new line with check-box in the note.

A custom search (searching for todo-false in notes with a specific tag) is displayed with EN widget on my tablet.

You know guys ... to people wo don't use these things usually (like me) it sounds really

difficult I guess if you don't explain how to deal with IFTTT with a step by step explanation and an example.

Maybe your workaround is easier but honestly I don't understand it :-)