Printing problems: no File>Print menu, splits text, doesn't print last lines, default filename

I am on
v 10.1.7 build 1902 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
  • print command is not on the File menu; you have to go to upper 3 dots to drop down a menu that has Print function
  • printing a note splits a line of text across 2 pages, right through the middle of the characters

926249506_ScreenShot2020-10-28at8_40_33AM.thumb.png.93e8d36efd350cca66f2738a6740044e.png

• Evernote eliminated 4 lines that were 1/3 up the page. I.e., it is not just cutting off the last line (see next image; the 4 lines that were eliminated are in red font)
  • If you search for a note and then print it to a PDF, the file name is “Search Results - Evernote copy.pdf” instead of the Note’s title. The default filename should be the note’s title. (see same image)

1016504195_ScreenShot2020-10-28at8_28_23AM.thumb.png.2e19740bbc3411ee036e5a70f70b6792.png

• Like 1

My update does not show print under the three upper dots! Can’t print anything so EN is worthless to me! Help!

i can get to send menu but then no simple print, only a variety of printers, none of which I have. Where is PRINT?

• Thanks 1

A new evernote version is now installed on my Mac, but most of the printing problems remain. Plus, there is another significant problem. When I print to PDF, there are no clickable links of the URLs. They show up as blue and underlined, but they cannot be clicked on to go to the URL from the PDF. This is a MAJOR problem for my use model.

My evernote version:

v 10.2.4 build 1949 public
Editor: v111.0.14414
Service: v1.21.2

The state of the problems fixed in this release:

Problem is still there
  • print command is not on the File menu; you have to go to upper 3 dots to drop down a menu that has Print function
  • printing a note splits a line of text across 2 pages
  • If you search for a note and then print it to a PDF, the file name is “Search Results - Evernote copy.pdf”
  • when you print to PDF, the PDF does not have clickable links
Problem is fixed
  • Evernote eliminated 4 lines that were 1/3 up the page. I.e., it is not just cutting off the last line

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread on my iPad Pro and there isn’t a print function anywhere. I tried sharing with Notepad, and that did not work. When I went toNotepad, nothing was there. I ended up copying the text from EN and pasting it into a new note in Notepad. 

im currently on version 10.1  

I didn’t have this problem with older versions, please fix this. 

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am having problems with page breaks. I tried to go to Print Preview to see if I could tweak the print settings, but there appears to be no Print Preview. I'm trying to save a pdf of a note containing images, but the images are being split over pages to the point where it's unusable. 

My main questions:

• Why isn't the Print... option under the File menu?
  • Why is the Print Preview gone?

I'm running 10.3.7 in Windows 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

As many others have said, the inability to print or save to pdf correctly seriously limits the usefulness of Evernote.

I guess I'll be using the Legacy app until this is addressed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is still a major problem. I can print using Legacy Evernote 7.14.1 and the formatting is perfect and yet when using the latest build of the all new shiny Evernote 10.5.7 it loses 4 lines of text. TBH this is not what we pay money for. Some basic features should not work outstandingly better than than the latest release. Evernote management need to sit down with their programmers and kick some backsides!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm on Windows build 10.6.9 and started to have printing issues in the last 4 weeks or so. Lines are getting cut off 3/4 way through notes. Printing to pdf first works but only for small notes, ones that are 3 pages long just randomly lose text in the middle of the document.

I use evernote for work orders and meeting agendas and have now had to copy and paste my everyday work into Word....why is printing such an ongoing issue? Some of these issues look like relics from pre-2015.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very dissapointing. I also took the paid version because I always preferred Evernote above other note-keeping programs, but heaving this print problem is very unprofessional. And also no reaction from Evernote. They are probably turning into a big corporation that has no time to deal with individual customers anymore. to bad.

• Level 5

Very simple: Use legacy (link above) until they get things sorted out on v10.

v10 was not released with all features. So many people miss features, but everybody misses HIS Features the most. To whom should they listen ? Sorting the feature requests by reverse alphabetical order of the second names of feature-seekers ? If you have too many points on your backlog, you better don’t try priorities, you better get things moving. So you will know they improved on printing when you read it in the release notes.

Until then legacy is the tool to use if you miss legacy features. 

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, mjevernote said:

printing a note splits a line of text across 2 pages, right through the middle of the characters

On 10/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, mjevernote said:

Evernote eliminated 4 lines that were 1/3 up the page. I.e., it is not just cutting off the last line

Same problems here... 

I'm using the web platform in Windows 10 - Version: 10.8.4-web (230)

(AND the Android version 10.4 doesnt have a printing option...)

]image.png.91df3cd5ad6e560ffede1af9b5cfa916.png

I don't understand why this printing issue has not been fixed. This isn't some small glitch, it is a major failure that comes very close to making Evernote a liability rather than a resource. I used to use EN for teaching and I have a premium account. Now I am actively looking for an alternative. This printing issue and the TERRIBLE android version are major problems. Why don't you fix this?

• Like 1

Just want to add to the posts above, with save to PDF and the print option not working I will have to find another app, which is quite a lot of work, having so much of my resources in Evernote and I like it apart from this important feature. Sad that there are no replies here about this.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Mid March, version 10.9 on MacOS, and print to PDF is still horribly broken.

Time to jettison this garbage application.  It's clear that it has fallen mightily and isn't getting love or attention anymore.  Development team is probably a skeleton crew compared to the old days.  This is what happens when your funding is tight, competitors have overtaken you, developers quit and no one is driving the boat.

Sad.  Boo Evernote.  You used to be (years ago) so much better.  Now you've lost your way.

• Level 5

After I dried my tears I am asking myself what you really have to say, beside mimimi ?

EN has rolled out a new release every month on average since v10 was initially floated. Nobody at home, all devs gone ? Just the opposite, this is the  most agile time probably since EN was founded.

The new app is constantly improving, legacy is still around for existing workflows, since January we are getting new features for the first time in years.

But ok - whining is more fun than cheering ?!

P.S. No, I am not all positive. Some features are still completely missing (Apple Watch client), others like printing need an overhaul. But I am confident we will see new features every month, and it is worth the wait.

PinkElephant you sound defensive.  That's OK, maybe you can still get a trophy.

Furthermore, the evidence contradicts what you state.  If this is the "most agile time" then why are major features still horribly broken 6 months later?  (By the way I run a S/W development company, so don't try to lecture me about technical debt, bug backlog, burndown rate, agile techniques, etc.  -- most people just see the end product)

Have you ever bought a product (I think I'm in my 11th year paying for EN) and had it not deliver on what you paid for?  And then complaining is not appropriate?

2 of my colleagues and one employee used to work at EN.  They said that morale isn't good.  Fair enough, sample size of 2.  But when I hear that and the product reflects that (plenty of other bugs, and there didn't used to be so many user-facing bugs) that isn't a good sign.  And yet all I see on new release notes are (IMO) either superficial tweaks or things that I don't care about (and no one on my team cares about, from a recent discussion we had on Slack)

I hope you get your trophy.

• Level 5

Complaining without substance is inappropriate, yes. When I go back to your post above, and take away all that verbal weed, you say „Hey, the printing is still not working fine“. But you need a lot more words than this to tell the world what you discovered.

Since EN is about going paperless, maybe they haven‘t put printing into that top feature layer ...

Beside this we are (as users) in the middle of a transition period. Hard to tell yet where it will take us. Since legacy is working fine, I think I get what I am paying for - nobody is forcing me or you to print (or do other things) from the new client, if we don’t like it yet.

So better watch what they are doing next - maybe you can learn something from what they do, or how they do it.

My impression is that EN is doing fine - I would start to get second thoughts when I red they hired an „employee feelgood manager“. Working under pressure is not easy, managing under pressure is not easy, but from what I see, I doubt they have a real problem with morale. Hard times maybe (I rather would not have been in a customer service role there the last months, must have been a real treadmill), but that’s life.

And one day it is over, people look back and are proud about what they achieved.

The argument that printing is not useful is ridiculous. PDF printing should be fixed asap. Many other alternatives to Evernote that do not break basic features with new releases. Two major flaws for me ATM:

- Printing to PDF os completely broken

- Links to notes do not work at all on external apps

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 6:24 AM, Ardeeter said:

The issue that the page break runs right through the middle of characters is not solved in version 10.2.4 on macos. This is very disturbing as export to pdf is completely unusable. 

I face this same issue

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking through, it doesn't appear that there has been a response to the EN team yet. Nevertheless, I wanted to add that, unfortunately, I am experiencing the same problem on Windows 10.12.5 release. My work around is to copy and paste from Evernote into Microsoft Word and print from there. I would much rather be able to print directly from Evernote and that doesn't seem like a big ask. I hope this problem can get resolved soon. While I love the app for a variety of its other features, I may need to cancel my subscription and switch to another platform. I would appreciate hearing from the company's customer support on this thread.

• Like 2
On 4/25/2021 at 6:06 AM, PastorMark said:

Looking through, it doesn't appear that there has been a response to the EN team yet. Nevertheless, I wanted to add that, unfortunately, I am experiencing the same problem on Windows 10.12.5 release. My work around is to copy and paste from Evernote into Microsoft Word and print from there. I would much rather be able to print directly from Evernote and that doesn't seem like a big ask. I hope this problem can get resolved soon. While I love the app for a variety of its other features, I may need to cancel my subscription and switch to another platform. I would appreciate hearing from the company's customer support on this thread.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:08 PM, raddienes said:

I face this same issue

I face the same problem. My current version is 10.12.5 Mac ver. It doesn't happen before upgrade. The product quality is not good.

• Like 1

This is amazing.

Couldn't find the print button. Once I find it, print is cutoff at the bottom of the page.

I'll at least give ya the PDF edit fix that originally forced me back to EverNote Legacy.

I no longer use the term "Apple Maps Bad?"

It's now "EverNote Update Bad?"

Yes the N is capitalized to pay tribute to a time when EverNote was a quality product.

Version:

10.13.4-mac-ddl-public (2607)
Editor: v123.0.15939
Service: v1.34.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I'm the type that will spend days and days exporting data if that is what's required.

I will not be held hostage by a company that has lost it's way. It's sad, EverNote has been by my side for a long time. 

I may kick it off by canceling my premium subscription and start focusing on using Raven.com as my primary storage instead of my backup.

When I print it cuts off the title, if there is a second page to be printed it doesn't even try to print that page (everything is blank) and it also cuts off the page.

All in all, printing just doesn't work.

• 5 weeks later...

This doesn't make any sense. Why isn't Evernote listening. This printing problem has been going on for a long time and it is really really frustrating. I'm  looking at alternatives to Evernote for this reason. It seems no one at Evernote cares about this. Good grief, this is a basic feature to every program like this. Every note should print in a pleasing and and well-formatted style. Lines should not be cut in half at the end of pages. Portions of the notes should not be dropped off when printing to PDF. Is anyone at EVERNOTE listening? Hello?  Anyone there?

• Level 5

If you want to send something to EN, you picked the wrong place.

Use the feedback option in the client, or issue a support ticket.

There is an information from EN to expect an improvement of printing options with v10.16 or 10.17. It sounded as if they were now testing it and have some glitches to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad to have been able to have found this forum.  I have been suffering from this printing problems for months in silence.  I thought I was the only one.  I've been creating my documents in Evernote and copy and pasting them in another software to print.  Arrrgh.  I've downgraded Evernote to Basic effective June 30th. I'll hope to return when they fix the printing issue.

• Level 5

You can fix it yourself: Install the legacy client side by side with v10, print from there. Since the notes will sync between all clients, no need to copy anything.

It is not a good idea to be on Basic when using this strategy. The legacy client will count as an additional device.

For anyone reading this post that I created, I just want to let you know that

8 months later, Printing is still not fixed!

I am now on Evernote 10.16.7 on my mac. I submitted a support ticket back in Oct-2020, but nothing has happened, and there is no workaround. Printing from the web browser interface to evernote doesn't work either (someone suggested that in this thread). Since I live close to Redwood City, I may have to go picket Evernote's corporate HQ to get some attention around here!!! I'll let Evernote know that

users can "Accomplish anything" except printing! 😡😡😡

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

No, in my use cases EN is there to avoid paper, not to create more.

If, as it may happen, rarely, I mean on occasion, … , I need to neatly print something, I use the legacy client. For a quick printout v10 will usually do.

Since in the forum are just other users, issue a support ticket, or use the feedback function build into the clients.

• 1 month later...

@PinkElephantJust create a note on more than one page, press "print" and you'll have a pretty good view of the problem. We say printing problems but it is mainly to generate PDF documents based on notes and not actually printing them on paper.

I know about the PDF export feature which works much better but has a limitation for users with the professional subscription to add page numbers. This one is just not acceptable and should be accessible to all users (even free) so that they keep the control on their content. One can consider this another "printing problem" :-)

• Level 5

EN just added a preview function to the pdf export - so they are working on that feature.

If you want to put emphasis on a specific issue, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

About the Professional client: I doubt your wish to downscale features to other plans (left alone the Free one) will be heard. EN is no charity and needs to generate income to keep the wheels grinding. We should be interested in this - at least if we want to use it long term. 

Personally I stick with Personal since it serves my needs. If page numbers are your killer feature, upgrade. If it is not worth 2€/$ a month, you don’t need it.

• 1 month later...

printing issues not fixed for a year now, so EN telI us.:

you don't want any paper waste because of ecologie ?

you dont care about consummers ?

you have no more developers , only commercial team ?

one (more) hangry client

• Level 5

They are moving, like with adding this preview, but in fact it is sort of watch a tree grow. You never noticed a movement, but one day you sit in the shadow where you used to have sun.

To tell EN, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.