External links should not require two clicks

Just upgraded and discovered that external links now require two clicks. The first click brings up the little link interface and then the link there must be clicked to actually go to that website. Is there a way to avoid the link interface and just go straight to the website? If I want the interface then I could right-click on the link or select it and Ctrl-K or something else but when I click on a link I actually want to go to it.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Pete Nikolai said:

Just upgraded and discovered that external links now require two clicks. The first click brings up the little link interface and then the link there must be clicked to actually go to that website. Is there a way to avoid the link interface and just go straight to the website? If I want the interface then I could right-click on the link or select it and Ctrl-K or something else but when I click on a link I actually want to go to it.

ctrl-click may help. For me it opens the website but doesn't normally bring it to foreground. This was raised in the beta but like so many things was never sorted before release.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
28 minutes ago, Mike P said:

ctrl-click may help. For me it opens the website but doesn't normally bring it to foreground. This was raised in the beta but like so many things was never sorted before release.

Yes, this is the same in the current Web version where it was implemented quite some time ago. In previous versions you could use a right click to edit the link. The current way is awful. A link should always need one click only to follow. I don't know any other application or Web-page where a double click is necessary.

• Like 5

Wanted to chime in on this odd behavior... it's not only external links but the internal Evernote links. I depend on linking my daily to do log notes to Evernote internal links where I add more details about that specific work item. I'm constantly copying internal links and pasting them everywhere else as a convenient way to link from note to note. This inefficient need to do more than a single click in the new version is killing my productivity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Pete Nikolai said:

I have the same issue with hyperlinks. It is so irritating that I've stopped using the new EN and installed the legacy EN version 6.25

• Like 1

Same, I use internal links A LOT, and double-clicking is so backwards... This, + inability to remove formatting via a shortcut lead me to start looking for alternatives to Evernotes...

I use integration of Airmail to Evernote. On iOS now, When I click on “Open in Airmail” I see that long 2nd link that needs to be clicked on. Sadly, when clicking on that 2nd link (which shouldn’t even be needed), NOTHING happens. Previously, this worked great- clicked on “Open in Airmail” brought me directly to that email in Airmail. 

• Shane D. changed the title to External links should not require two clicks

Not only is it two clicks, you have to click your link, then mouse over to the new link that appears, and then click that again. It's really unwieldy. Can there at least be an option on how to handle links? I have lists of links that I need to click on each day for separate classes and this really slows down my workflow. 

• Thanks 1

I have also downgraded my evernote because of the impact of this feature on my workflow. I would love to go back to new version but only after this fix. Otherwise I really like many of the new features! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Two clicks for internal links is terrible! I noticed that my older internal links still work with one click and are a lighter shade of green on my Mac. There must have been some logic behind this change, but it was not communicated to users. Please, Evernote, at least give us the option to create one-click links.

I just updated the Windows app to version 10.4.4 and am dismayed that clicking a link (to either another evernote or website) does not immediately open the url.  Now one must go through the process of clicking a link, waiting for the popup option to edit it, then click the displayed url to navigate to the intended information is cumbersome and un-intuitive.

Please change the default link behavior back to the previous Evernote version and as every electronic document viewer I have used to immediately navigate to the url.

• Like 1