[Feature Released in 10.8] Return note links to a single click

scollins01

Idea

Internal note links don't seem to be working as efficiently as before:

1. Clicking a link pops up a link (evernote:///) instead of going directly to the note as in previous versions. Requires two clicks to move between notes.
  2. Copying internal note link by rt click, Ctrl+right click "internal note link" OR in the note options, copies the HTTP:// link. All new links open in a browser.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 replies to this idea

16 hours ago, scollins01 said:

1. Clicking a link pops up a link (evernote:///) instead of going directly to the note as in previous versions. Requires two clicks to move between notes.
  2. Copying internal note link by rt click, Ctrl+right click "internal note link" OR in the note options, copies the HTTP:// link. All new links open in a browser.

This ws requested in the beta version forum. You can type ctrl-click to avoid the two-clicks. A nuisance nonetheless. It should've been engineered the other way round: one click to jump to the target, ctr-click to get the link context menu (which is great as such).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, scollins01 said:

This is unbelievable, a vast step backward in everyone's workflow. I can't believe anyone at all wanted this "feature"! It doesn't even make sense in the Web version, yet here it is thrust upon us in Windows.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, doktorzirb said:

This ws requested in the beta version forum. You can type ctrl-click to avoid the two-clicks. A nuisance nonetheless. It should've been engineered the other way round: one click to jump to the target, ctr-click to get the link context menu (which is great as such).

Ctrl-Click opens the linked note in a new window instead of jumping to the note. So the solution to moving between notes is to continue opening new windows? I open notes in a new window to keep it onscreen. Why would I want it to be default?

I don't pull pages out of physical book if I flip to a page referenced in a footnote. I go to the page. If I want to link or jump back I put my finger as a link.

Signing off on this behavior appears to be pushing for a release to stay in the public eye. Maybe its a trying to adopt a new workflow, but you don't go backward in order to setup a delivery cycle. If someone felt this was optimal behavior for note linking then it should have been made an option not default. I don't want to click a link to see the link address. I already know its a link. Its underlined in blue. Just take me there. 

• Like 3

Just updated to the new Windows Desktop version. And now I can no longer open the internal links in the desktop app itself. It just shows the link and when I click it opens the note in the web app. And this is not what I want. I would not need a desktop version if evrything is opened in the web version anyway.

What can I do about this?

internallink.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, stephmag said:

Just updated to the new Windows Desktop version. And now I can no longer open the internal links in the desktop app itself. It just shows the link and when I click it opens the note in the web app. And this is not what I want. I would not need a desktop version if evrything is opened in the web version anyway.

What can I do about this?

internallink.jpg

I'm not sure why this is happening. It doesn't happen for me for links I've added in the new version or in the legacy. I do vaguely remember this being mentioned somewhere as something that is being worked on but I can't find the reference at the moment.

image.png.190139684216d3b0b57e9a4a91f5c09a.png

Here it happens in any case. If I am Ctrl clicking, it just directly opens the web browser. It is the same with all the links and notes I produced with the new version. There just are no longer any links not leading to the Web-Version. If I get the internal link by right clicking it is a web link. Therefore, no salvation... 

And this is completely killing my workflow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stephmag said:

Here it happens in any case. If I am Ctrl clicking, it just directly opens the web browser. It is the same with all the links and notes I produced with the new version. There just are no longer any links not leading to the Web-Version. If I get the internal link by right clicking it is a web link. Therefore, no salvation... 

And this is completely killing my workflow.

This is really weird. I've tried every way I can think of to generate a note link. If I then paste it directly into EN it is always a classic link. If I post it elsewhere it is always the web link. I assume this is the expected behavour.

What is your workflow? Can you describe how you are generating the links.

I am working on a desktop, a laptop, tablet and mobile phone. My main work place is the desktop. Up to now (with the EN versions from ten years ago up to last Friday)  I mostly used the desktop version like this: I produced a new note, clicked it right, said "Copy internal link" and put this link into another note. And when I later clicked the link, the note opened exactly in the app used which means desktop on the desktop and Android App on the Android phone. It never opened the Browser. And that is exactly what I want. I want to stay in the App.

Another funny thing: If I produce such a link on my desktop with the new EN version and put it in another note and open this note on my laptop where the old version is installed, it opens correctly, which means in the app and not in a browser.

15 minutes ago, stephmag said:

I mostly used the desktop version like this: I produced a new note, clicked it right, said "Copy internal link" and put this link into another note.

So I assume you are doing the same thing in the new version. As I say,  when I do that I get an internal link  and when I click it I stay in the app as expected. 

18 minutes ago, stephmag said:

Another funny thing: If I produce such a link on my desktop with the new EN version and put it in another note and open this note on my laptop where the old version is installed, it opens correctly, which means in the app and not in a browser.

This doesn't surprise me. Even if you deliberately paste an evernote web address into the legacy client it is clever enough to open it in the EN desktop app.

Sorry not to be able to help. You are not alone but it's obviously not happening to everybody. I found where I had read about this issue before:

I need to post internal (classic) note links (evernote:///...) not only to notes within Evernote but also to another application, namely MyLifeOrganized.
I want to click such a link in MyLifeOrganized to open the corresponding note in the Windows desktop version of Evernote rather than the web app.
With Evernote 10, I don't seem to be able to do this anymore.

Same problem here. Actually some of the links seem to work as shareable links that opens in the browser, while other work like internal links, even if all links in question were creating using the 'create internal link' option. This seems really odd, and it really breaks the workflow for me as I use internal link all the time to navigate back and forth between notes.

• Evernote Expert

When I create internal notelinks using the right click mouse, select the option, paste into a new note OR Ctrl+Alt+L, paste into a new note, the resulting links open inside the Windows application.

Interestingly, if I click the link, then select open using the mouse the note opens inside the application - ie the linked note takes the focus.

If I Ctrl+Left Click the link then the note opens in a new window.

Ctrl+Right Click opens a different menu but open then opens the note in the application with focus in the linked note.

I confess that I'm on the continuing Beta trial so my experience may vary from the current 10.1.7 release

• Like 3

Just upgraded and discovered that external links now require two clicks. The first click brings up the little link interface and then the link there must be clicked to actually go to that website. Is there a way to avoid the link interface and just go straight to the website? If I want the interface then I could right-click on the link or select it and Ctrl-K or something else but when I click on a link I actually want to go to it.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Pete Nikolai said:

Just upgraded and discovered that external links now require two clicks. The first click brings up the little link interface and then the link there must be clicked to actually go to that website. Is there a way to avoid the link interface and just go straight to the website? If I want the interface then I could right-click on the link or select it and Ctrl-K or something else but when I click on a link I actually want to go to it.

ctrl-click may help. For me it opens the website but doesn't normally bring it to foreground. This was raised in the beta but like so many things was never sorted before release.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
28 minutes ago, Mike P said:

ctrl-click may help. For me it opens the website but doesn't normally bring it to foreground. This was raised in the beta but like so many things was never sorted before release.

Yes, this is the same in the current Web version where it was implemented quite some time ago. In previous versions you could use a right click to edit the link. The current way is awful. A link should always need one click only to follow. I don't know any other application or Web-page where a double click is necessary.

• Like 6

Wanted to chime in on this odd behavior... it's not only external links but the internal Evernote links. I depend on linking my daily to do log notes to Evernote internal links where I add more details about that specific work item. I'm constantly copying internal links and pasting them everywhere else as a convenient way to link from note to note. This inefficient need to do more than a single click in the new version is killing my productivity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Pete Nikolai said:

I have the same issue with hyperlinks. It is so irritating that I've stopped using the new EN and installed the legacy EN version 6.25

• Like 1

I use integration of Airmail to Evernote. On iOS now, When I click on “Open in Airmail” I see that long 2nd link that needs to be clicked on. Sadly, when clicking on that 2nd link (which shouldn’t even be needed), NOTHING happens. Previously, this worked great- clicked on “Open in Airmail” brought me directly to that email in Airmail. 

Not only is it two clicks, you have to click your link, then mouse over to the new link that appears, and then click that again. It's really unwieldy. Can there at least be an option on how to handle links? I have lists of links that I need to click on each day for separate classes and this really slows down my workflow. 

• Thanks 1

Two clicks for internal links is terrible! I noticed that my older internal links still work with one click and are a lighter shade of green on my Mac. There must have been some logic behind this change, but it was not communicated to users. Please, Evernote, at least give us the option to create one-click links.

• Like 1

I just updated the Windows app to version 10.4.4 and am dismayed that clicking a link (to either another evernote or website) does not immediately open the url.  Now one must go through the process of clicking a link, waiting for the popup option to edit it, then click the displayed url to navigate to the intended information is cumbersome and un-intuitive.

Please change the default link behavior back to the previous Evernote version and as every electronic document viewer I have used to immediately navigate to the url.

• Like 3

I just want to chime in and add my voice to the sea of frustration out there regarding this loss of capability inside of Evernote. It is a huge leap backwards. It's extremely frustrating to work inside of Evernote now without this hyperlink capability. 

Can anyone point me to the previous version of Evernote prior to this latest v10?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Looks like something is off with the automated update of your version.

My current windows version is:

v10.8.4
Editor: V 118.1.15148
Service: V 1.28.1

I would suggest you re-install Evernote 10, if your version is still at 10.2.

13 hours ago, tm87 said:

Looks like something is off with the automated update of your version.

My current windows version is:

v10.8.4
Editor: V 118.1.15148
Service: V 1.28.1

I would suggest you re-install Evernote 10, if your version is still at 10.2.

Agree with tm87 - single click in external links works OK with v10.8.4

You definitely need to update - you may be missing out on other recent enhancements/fixes

On 2/13/2021 at 1:45 AM, AdmiralP said:

Agree with tm87 - single click in external links works OK with v10.8.4

You definitely need to update - you may be missing out on other recent enhancements/fixes

Yeah I failed to update and it looks like I have the single click behavior

10.8.4-win-ddl-public (2349)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

Alright trying the new Evernote now and see if I hit anymore productivity blockers.