Command-Tilde No Longer Working to Switch Between Windows and Open Notes

Usher19

Idea

With the update to Evernote 10 I'm no longer able to use the keyboard shortcut command-tilde(~) to switch from one open window to another. I'm not sure why this is happening but it's making it harder for me to work on multiple notes at one time. PLEASE FIX THIS!

v 10.0.10 build 458340 public
Editor: v107.3.13847
Service: v1.20.21

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 replies to this idea

I have no idea, but I'm right there with you!

There are a lot of problems with the new version but little things like this truly make it a headache to create and edit notes. I suspect it's due to the fact that v10 is no longer a native Mac app.

Problem impacts me as well. I'm trying to use Evernote as part of a GTD workflow, for which my weekly review involves a detailed checklist and making updates across multiple project files. The inability to switch between open windows in the Mac client is a real impediment to this process. The only option that appears to be working for me right now is using the Window list from the menu bar.

This is driving me crazy.  I often have several notes open at the same time and can no longer flip between them.  It takes ages to identify the right note peering at icons of open files in desktop view and hovering the mouse over them.  I've also lost the ability to share notes directly via email and even the print note command is more difficult to find.  This was a really bad upgrade.

I've recently upgraded to 10.4.3 via the App Store (from a legacy version) and this still seems to be an issue... has it been fixed and then reintroduced between 10.3.7 and 10.4.3?

It's one of the most commonly used standard Mac keyboard shortcuts so it's a real jolt not to be able to use it within one specific app. I assume they're doing something strange with widow management as notes opened in their own windows don't show up in the "Window" menu bar either.

21 hours ago, Thomas Demers said:

I'm running 10.4.4 and it doesn't work. This is a standard OS function across most operating systems.

Current version of Evernote is 10.5.7. Try updating to the latest and see if that makes a difference?

If it doesn't, I would suggest everyone having this problem try uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch. And of course, verify that Cmd-~ is working for all your other apps.

I'm experiencing this issue as well:

v10.5.7 build 458420

MacOS Catalina (10.15.7)

I have also deleted and reinstalled the application, including all of the contents of folders found here:

`~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote*`

Edited by panth13
Adding more detail to issue.

I am using a standard Apple Wireless Keyboard, US English, connected via Bluetooth.

Thank you for your assistance, but it doesn't look like the bug you speak of is related to standard keyboard layouts like mine.

I guess it's just another reason to be frustrated with the change to an Electron app. I'm holding out hope that it will eventually be as speedy and dynamic as the old native version that I loved.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 2/2/2021 at 10:49 AM, global-citizen said:

The command-tilde works in all other apps EXCEPT Evernote.  (yes, I am using Evernote in "Normal" view.) 

@global-citizen  Strictly speaking, I'm using cmd with the key at the same time as the key that has ~ and  ` on it (not shift-`)

This is shortcut is set within: System Preferences / Keyboard / Shortcuts 

There should be a checkmark to allow cmd` to:    "Move focus to next window"

[mac OS 11.1, macbook M1, EN 10.7.6]

• Thanks 1

I am running: `10.6.9-mac-mas-public (458440)`

And I am also having this issue. It seems like in-app window management is an electron issue.

Perhaps the Evernote developers could help fix this? 

This is a major pain point. Much like not being able to open multiple main windows.

• Like 2

10.8.4-mac-mas-public (458463)

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1

command ` does not work - for Evernote ONLY.

Update. I tried downloading direct form Evernote, rather than from the Apple store -

1.8.4-mac-ddl-public (2394)

Evernote forgot all my setting, login etc - but command ` does work

So - what are they doing that breaks Applestore rules...

I may be imagining it - but this version does seem less slow than the Apple Store one.

2 hours later - McAfee detected malware in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache

W97M/Downloader.bbl

vbaProject.bin

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote

does not exist on my home machine that is still using the App Store version

Edited by crayboy
Update
  • Like 2
On 10/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, Usher19 said:

With the update to Evernote 10 I'm no longer able to use the keyboard shortcut command-tilde(~) to switch from one open window to another. I'm not sure why this is happening but it's making it harder for me to work on multiple notes at one time. PLEASE FIX THIS!

v 10.0.10 build 458340 public
Editor: v107.3.13847
Service: v1.20.21

On 11/6/2020 at 9:10 AM, Charles Roberts said:

how is this the only mention of this problem!?!?!?! this is a critical issue for me as well

how is anyone able to navigate through notes and/or how else are people using this program (genuinely interested if there is some other/better way to do things)

On 11/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, chocobochicken said:

Problem impacts me as well. I'm trying to use Evernote as part of a GTD workflow, for which my weekly review involves a detailed checklist and making updates across multiple project files. The inability to switch between open windows in the Mac client is a real impediment to this process. The only option that appears to be working for me right now is using the Window list from the menu bar.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:24 AM, SuperNote said:

I've recently upgraded to 10.4.3 via the App Store (from a legacy version) and this still seems to be an issue... has it been fixed and then reintroduced between 10.3.7 and 10.4.3?

It's one of the most commonly used standard Mac keyboard shortcuts so it's a real jolt not to be able to use it within one specific app. I assume they're doing something strange with widow management as notes opened in their own windows don't show up in the "Window" menu bar either.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, Louis G said:

This  is a big problem for me as well. I will not be able to use Evernote until it is fixed.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Demers said:

I'm running 10.4.4 and it doesn't work. This is a standard OS function across most operating systems.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, panth13 said:

I'm experiencing this issue as well:

v10.5.7 build 458420

MacOS Catalina (10.15.7)

I have also deleted and reinstalled the application, including all of the contents of folders found here:

`~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote*`

What's everyone's keyboard layout? There's a long-standing bug in Electron (the underlying framework used by Evernote for v10 on desktop) that affects users of certain keyboard layouts:

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/17287

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, weeannabee said:

cmd tilde works for me on all other programs except evernote - it's totally frustrating - why has this not been fixed? (10..5.7)

3 hours ago, Ovi said:

Another thing to fix please. This is even worse than that removing the multiple TAB option.

IS ANYONE FROM EVERNOTE EVEN READING THROUGH THESE THINGS!!?!

Is there anything potentially unique or different about your location or keyboard configuration? As I commented before, there are some known bugs in Electron (the framework on which Evernote desktop is built) which could be impacting the Cmd-` functionality. For example:

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/21847

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/17287

One workaround to consider trying would be to try binding a different key combination and see if that works. To do so, go to macOS settings, then Keyboard, then choose a new (unique) key combination for "Move focus to the next window":

image.thumb.png.731480728b6e9a708bd46f4f77f97092.png

Beyond that, I would suggest that anyone experiencing this issue who wants to get to the bottom of it share as many details as possible about their computer, operating system, location / language / keyboard settings, keyboard configuration, etc. This is an issue that appears to be affecting a small number of people, so by crowd sourcing details of everyone's configuration, it may be possible to hone in on a cause or a workaround.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:20 PM, Peter Olins said:

Command-tilde (cmd-~) is working fine for me with mac EN 10.6.9 — just remember that the page must be in "normal" view, rather than full-page view. This applies equally to multiple windows in other mac apps.

Hmm. I am running 10.6.9-mac-mas-public (458440) Editor: v116.1.14913 Service: v1.26.7

This is on macOS Big Sur 11.1.

The command-tilde works in all other apps EXCEPT Evernote.  (yes, I am using Evernote in "Normal" view.) 

Peter, did you do any other config changes that might influence this? 

As others have said, reinstalling by downloading directly from Evernote.com fixed the issued for me as well, after first logging out of Evernote, uninstalling the App Store version completely with CleanMyMac X to get all related hidden files, then reinstalling. 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:33 AM, Peter Olins said:

@global-citizen  Strictly speaking, I'm using cmd with the key at the same time as the key that has ~ and  ` on it (not shift-`)

This is shortcut is set within: System Preferences / Keyboard / Shortcuts 

There should be a checkmark to allow cmd` to:    "Move focus to next window"

[mac OS 11.1, macbook M1, EN 10.7.6]

Ok, so this process worked for me.

Logout of your Evernote (selecting the "Keep a LOCAL backup" option on the way out). 

Go to www.evernote.com and select Download to get latest version (in my case it was 10.8.5-mac-ddl-public (2367) )

It will ask for your email/userid and password and then opens up with all the notes still there. (So seems there is no data loss - NOTE: I am an Evernote PREMIUM user so your mileage may vary. )

Now CMD` works! 

BUT (YOU SHOULD BE AWARE) it seems that customized preferences are reset to defaults (e.g. the All Notes middle column being thumbnails but I prefer a list).

So make sure you have some time to tweak all the settings back to how you like them. 

Let's see how long this fix works for! ;)