Can't sign in & retrieve my notes; Mac Evernote Update forcing me to create a new account

After installing the update today, the app "created" a new account under my email address rather than updating my existing account.  When I sign in with my password, I still get a new, empty account, so I cannot retrieve my synced notes.  My real account shows in the sync list, but i can't sign into it.  I tried deleting the "new" account to get to my existing account, but every time I open Evernote it forces me to create a "new" account.  I tried rolling back to the earlier version, but the thread on this board on that topic says it's impossible to do that because the Apple store won't make more than one version available.  I'm up against a deadline for submitting a manuscript and need my notes.  Suggestions/solutions please.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Are you able to view your notes using the web (www..evernote..com)?

No, I can't.  The page took about 3-4 minutes to load, and when I tried to sign in i got a "Sorry, we're having trouble" message.  I thank you for your quick reply!

mbj

39 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Not a Mac user,  so please excuse a possible dumb suggestion.  Can you log out of the empty account you're now using,  and log back in with your original user details?

Thanks, but no luck.  No suggestion is ever dumb :-)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, mary b-j said:

That might work!  Should I uninstall the current Evernote first?

Not necessary, The two versions can run side by side

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, mary b-j said:

Just checked my space.  Not enough room for both.  I'll uninstall the new one and install the legacy version.  Stand by!

To be clear, my uninstall process is    

1. Delete the app
  2. delete the database
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, mary b-j said:

Where will I find the database?

My legacy database is stored at   /Users/<user>/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

To be clear, my uninstall process is    

1. Delete the app
  2. delete the database

DTLow, I proceeded before I read your last post, and that might be why I'm still having trouble.  Where will I find the database? BTW, I just read the help file on the Database.  I worry that if i delete it on my Mac, it will not be available on my other computer, which is a PC.  BUT--to continue--when I installed the legacy verson i had the same problem:  It asked me to sign in, and when I did it did no recognize my Mac.  Said I'd have to delet a device to continue using it.  The device I'd have to delet is the  Mac I'm working on!  I'm so confused!!!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, mary b-j said:

Said I'd have to delet a device to continue using it.

This is the device limit for Basic accounts - you're only allowed two devices (web access is counted as one device)

Deleting the database on the Mac will not impact the PC
The master data copy is stored on the Evernote servers (except for Local Notebooks)

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is the device limit for Basic accounts - you're only allowed two devices (web access is counted as one device)

Deleting the database on the Mac will not impact the PC

First of all, I really appreciate your patience!  I didn't know that the web counted as a device!  When I tried to open Evernote on my Mac--the new version and the legacy version--and then signed in, I was asked which device to stop syncing.  It gave me three:  the PC, the Mac, and the newly installed Mac (which is the same as the other one!)  If the web access counts as a device, i don't understand why both my Mac and the PC are shown in my account as devices.  However, it appears that my choices are 1)pony up for the upgrade (which I can't afford), or 2) decide whether I want to use either the Mac or the PC when I'm offline and/or 2) access my notes via the web on the other computer when i'm connected to the internet.  Is that correct?