Could not add tray icon

I first reported this problem several build ago, but I still have it. I get an error dialog during installation "Could not add tray icon, error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.." This ONLY occurs during installation, and I no longer have 3.5 running. Evernote launches successfully, but with no tray icon. If I exit Evernote and re-launch it the icon appears.

I should mention that I usually have over 30 tray icons.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had kind of the same error message after upgrading to 4.0.01.2927 (107812) Public about a week ago.

Every time I start my Windows I get the message "could not add tray icon, error: the operation completed successfully". :?

So all I could do is kill "evernoteTray.exe" and restart Evernote. This start it up OK, and also restarts the EvernoteTray.exe.

Please let me know if you have any solution to this "problem" (tho' I'd rather call it an awkward behaviour).

Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lately, on booting my system (Win7 Home Premium 64-bit on an HP Slimline Pavilion s5380t), I receive the following message when Evernote attempts to load:

"Could not add tray icon error: an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"

However, if I then manually start Evernote, the tray icon appears and the program functions normally.

My Startup Manager lists both Evernote Clipper and Evernote Tray as items launched at Windows startup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Same here. Only on PC (XP): When starting Windows I get the message "Could not add tray icon, error: the operation completed successfully". :)

So all I could do is restart Evernote. This start it up OK. On Mac no problems. Ofcourse :)

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same issue.

Does anyone know whether this is a Windows 7 issue, an Evernote issue, or anything more about it? Evernote is the ONLY software launch at startup that gives this error message. And no other startup software has done it in the past. Only since I've had Evernote starting when Windows starts.

Thanks.

Gary

Is there some reason that you're still running on version 4.2.2? Version 4.3.1 is in release (4.3.1.4479 - 144118).

Actually, sorry, I didn't pay attention to the title of this thread. I'm running v. 4.3.1.4479 (144118). I just did an auto update to that today from an earlier version of 4.3, I think it was -- whatever version was just before the current.

In that earlier 4.3 and in the current 4.3, I'm getting the same error message as was mentioned in the opening post of this thread:

""Could not add tray icon error: an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"

When I click "OK" on the error message, the Evernote icon, which appears to be in the tray, disappears from the tray and Evernote is not running.

Any ideas about why this happens? And it isn't every time I start Windows; only about 1/4 of the time or less, I would say, when I either start up my computer or restart the computer.

After I get this error message, if I start Evernote manually, it loads and puts the icon in the tray and all appears to be running as it should.

Truly odd, I guess. :(

Thanks.

Gary

• 2 months later...

I just had the same issue I posted about above back in April.

I'm running Evernote 4.4.2.4912 (156554) Public on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer. It did exactly as I said above when I started my computer this morning:

I booted the computer, left the room a few minutes, and came back to find this Evernote error message on my screen:

"Could not add tray icon error: an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"

And just as before, when I clicked "OK" on the error message, the Evernote icon, which appeared to be in the tray, disappeared from the tray and Evernote was not running.

When I clicked the Evernote shortcut, it started, minimized to the tray, and seems to be functioning all right.

To my remembrance, this is the first time it happened since my post above in April. I cannot think of anything I've changed or reconfigured on my laptop that might be the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yet another "me too". Currently running 4.6.4, it's been happening, every time I boot the computer (I think - most times, anyway), for...a long time. Months, if not a year. I have Evernote set to start with Windows; I can't tell if it actually does. I get the error message (about the token), then go to my shortcut and start it. The icon then appears in the system tray, but not until then. I've never seen the error except at boot.

Win 7 Pro (actually, it started while I was on Win 7 HP, I upgraded).

On Win7 Ultimate x86_32-bit, I get this error "Could not add tray icon, error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.." when I log on. Using version 4.6.4.8136.attachicon.gifEvernote.jpg

I just got this same error message running 4.6.4.8136 on my Win 7 Ultimate running on my 64-bit machine.

Anybody know what's causing it? How to resolve it?

The only way I could get Evernote to run was to go back, click on the icon and get it to restart. Then it did and seems to be working all right at the moment. I Googled the error message and found this forum thread.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Gary

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I've just experienced this issue as well.  Has anyone found a resolution to this on their own?  First report of this error that I found in the forum (via Google) was Sept 28, 2010... reported on version 4.0.0.2401 (101958). In that Google search I found at least 3 other forum posts specifically on this subject. Two were acknowledged by Evernote - one of them even stating they replicated the issue there and were working on it. I believe that one was in 2011. 

Here it is over 3 years later and it's still happening in v. 5 [5.0.2.1392 (269392) Public].  Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a brand new machine.  Personally installed Win 7 3 days ago. Evernote was fine until this evening.  Luckily it will works, but I've had to remove it from my startup until this is resolved.  If anyone has found a resolution, I would appreciate your info.

Thanks,

B

• 1 month later...

I started having this issue recently, too.  First it was 'just' that the tray icon was blank until I manually started Evernote.  Today I now get the error message when Evernote tries to start ("Could not add tray icon, error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist..").

was Windows 7 Pro v6.1

Evernote v.5.0.3.1614

Am going to submit a bug report  I know there may be reports already submitted, but just to make sure EN folks know it's still a problem.

argh.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, several years and versions later and this is still occurring. (My version is 5.2.1.3108 (271108) Public) I did not find any solutions for this related to Evernote but I did find a solution related to Microsoft Management Console (MMC). I tried the solution and it worked but for some reason it froze my system and I had to do a hard reboot.

The error is due to dll files being unregistered or the registered ones are a different version than what is referenced by Evernote. This is known as DLL H-E-double hockey sticks.

WARNING: There is the possibility that other software will stop working or work improperly after performing the following solution. I applied this solution about a half hour ago so I do not know if I will have any issues. It would be best if someone from Evernote replies to this and specifies which DLLs need to be registered. You do the following at your own risk. You have been warned.

You may want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote instead of applying the following solution as it should register the correct DLLs on installation. I did not try it but it should work if the problem DLL(s) is/are specific to Evernote and are not standard Windows DLL(s).

The solution may be found at http://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token-that-does-not-exist/. 

Basic steps:

1. Create a System Restore Point (I have never actually seen this work but if something goes wrong you may get lucky.)
  2. Open a command prompt window
    Start > Type CMD in the "Search programs and files" box and press enter
  3. Type the following command and press enter
    cd c:\windows\System32
  4. Re-register all of the DLL files in the system32 directory by typing the following command and press enter (NOTE: Sometimes the single quote marks are the incorrect character when copied and pasted into the command window. If you have any problems type the command instead of using copy and paste.)
    for /F %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s
  5. Restart to make certain that the error is gone
Hope this helps

post-190861-0-09486500-1395930668_thumb.

post-190861-0-06957900-1395930672_thumb.

• 5 months later...

Same problem with the latest windows version, can we please have fix that does not involve playing round with re activating dlls.

I am a long time user and ever since windows 8 it has been one problem after another. Can we please have a version that runs as it should and stop the constant updated?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

No recent update that I'm aware of,  but I just joined the 'could not add tray icon' club on startup.  First time I've ever seen this message in some years of Evernote use!  No icon,  no Evernote.  Used the Start menu to run the application manually,  and things seem to be back to normal.

• 11 months later...

I have a brand new laptop running Win10 Home x64, and I just started receiving this same error! Interestingly the tray icon appears despite the error.  I'm running the latest version 5.9.x.  My older desktop is running the same Evernote version and does not display this error.  Prior to doing an in place upgrade to Win10 Pro x64, I was running Win7 Pro SP1 x64 and had never seen the error.  It's a royal pain, as it pops up repeatedly.  And I can't believe there's been so solution in all the years this error has been occurring.  Evernote's a great app, but .....  grrr.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was there ever a fix?  I see this issue started in 2010 and there have been several posts over the years with different versions.  I'm using Win10 Pro and Evernote version 6.1.2.2292 (302292) Public.

This is a handy app but the error pop up is annoying.

• Level 5*

Don't see what the payment issue has to do with anything - paying subscribers seem to have this problem too.  Have you tried the restart route?  Reinstalled the app?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived