Why Does Version 10, an "Upgrade," Have Less Features

Pastor Wynn

Idea

Well, I upgraded to version 10, and regret doing so.  It has less features than before.  Why would any company release an "upgrade" that has less features than the previous version?  That absolutely makes no sense.

For starters, the tabs feature is gone.  That is a feature that many of us used on a daily basis!  

Also, the former version permitted an adjustment of preferences.  However, there are no "Preferences" menu options now.  I had the auto-list function turned off on the previous version.  I used an Evernote for my daily task list.  When I type "1." I do not want Evernote automatically assuming it is a list and indenting it.  However, in V10, I cannot turn that feature off.  

There are numerous features that are no longer available, which other commenters have referenced.  However, if we cannot have a return of Preferences and Tabs, then I will be looking elsewhere. I have been a Premium subscriber for many years now.  I would hate to leave EN, but when essential features are stripped, what other choice do we have?

To anyone from EN...Please read your consumer's comments.  Many of us are VERY unhappy with your less-features upgrade.  Get EN back to functionality.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

30 replies to this idea

I've become so frustrated with trying to work with EN Desktop Version 10, that I've downloaded and installed the "Legacy" versions.  At least all of the functionality is there.  
I realize that this is not a viable long-term solution because EN will probably not support it too far in the future.  Also, as a long-term Premium Subscriber, it does not make sense to continue with an out-dated app that won't be supported.

I will check and see if EN responds to the massive call from numerous subscribers to bring back full functionality to the desktop version. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Pastor Wynn said:

Why would any company release an "upgrade" that has less features than the previous version?  That absolutely makes no sense.

Evernote has not released an "upgrade"  to a previous version
This is a .0 release of a new product; a base framework for upcoming addition of features

If you're interested in the previous product; it has been renamed to Evernote Legacy and can be downloaded at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Hey, everybody talks about „digital minimalism“.

Now EN take this serious, axes a lot of „fat“ functions and what happens: People are complaining, where have my features gone, can’t work like this etc.

If it really is „0 hour“ for the new EN, something stronger can emerge. If however several missing function are not released in due course, it could well be the point where minimalism turns into starving, viewed from a cash flow perspective. I am sitting on the legacy fence and watch the game to evolve.

• Like 3

PinkElephant, this is not about the cutting of "fat" features.  These are essential features for many of us.  The product that we purchase on an annual basis no longer functions as it did.  Yes, I always welcome new iterations and improvements.  However, the apps I purchase and use should not be reduced in useful features, but they should always be increased.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
11 hours ago, Pastor Wynn said:

this is not about the cutting of "fat"

This new Program that they have released is so different and so poor that to me it is Evernote in name only. On the desktop this app is totally unusable to me, when I start it the first time it always hangs (10.1.7) so I have to force quit it and the second time it actually starts, it so slow it’s impossible to use productively. It has 35 missing keyboard shortcuts, some of them essential to a good workflow, the tags are worse, harder to organise, the sync is unreliable. I can’t be bothered to list everything wrong, there’s just too much. Plus the threat to stop the Classic “working version” on the Evernote web site is simply dismaying. This is no way to treat people. It's like they don't use their own product. 

I am so upset about this "upgrade".  I have 12 Evernote accounts for different businesses etc.  I used to be able to hot swap between all of them, scanning documents daily etc.  Now it is limited to 5 total accounts you can add?  What the *****!!! Why would there be a limit.

I use Evernote mainly for document storage - putting notes within some documents etc.  Anyone know a different system where you can have multiple accounts and easily swap through them?  I will now spend unnecessary time logging in/out of accounts throughout the day EVERY ***** DAY.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If you follow this Forum over time, you hardly can avoid a sense of deja vu:

• please make the clients more uniform
  • make font handling on OS platforms identical
  • yes, dark mode in Windows, or I leave EN
  • and multicolor textmarkers are a killer feature

OK, they listened to us users, and what have we got: v10

It is at least an eye opener for what is really important with EN. Hint: It is not the text marker ...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

the tags are worse, harder to organise,

But tag users are only 2% of the users. The more I think about this statistic the more I realise that although it is an interesting statistic it is not an informative statistic. A better question would be what percentage of paying users use tags? I suspect that would be a very different number but if EN even know the answer they're not going to tell us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes I agree Mike P,

I'm sure that anyone using Evernote (98+%)  not using tags simply don't understand how valuable, powerful and easy to use they are. It should be a feature they are pushing, not minimising, talking down and making them harder to use.

I heard that a certain chap who's first name begins with "I" in the company doesn't actually use tags himself and has only been in the company just over 2 years anyway. Sometimes fresh eyes aren't what's needed but instead some experience and knowledge of your own product, plus some respect for your users that actually know how to use it.

I never thought of myself as a power user, I know I'm not, but Wow I didn't think I was in the 2% that knows that tags are a good thing.

• Level 5
39 minutes ago, Mike P said:

But tag users are only 2% of the users. The more I think about this statistic the more I realise that although it is an interesting statistic it is not an informative statistic. A better question would be what percentage of paying users use tags? I suspect that would be a very different number but if EN even know the answer they're not going to tell us.

I totally agree. Whenever somebody complained  about the lack of nested notebooks for organizing notes the answer was: tags should be used for organization purposes and I liked the idea because tags are closer to the way our brain works. Therefore, my workflow is completely dependent on tags and works very well. If this workflow were destroyed this would be the end of Evernote for me.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, DTLow said:

This is a .0 release of a new product; a base framework for upcoming addition of features

If you're interested in the previous product; it has been renamed to Evernote Legacy and can be downloaded at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

New product? Funny, the "about" screen says I'm running version 10.1.7. I got emails and in-app messages urging me to "Update now." And "Evernote Legacy" is not Coke Classic, it's a legacy version that is no longer supported. The apologists on the forums are doing a great job of damaging the brand when they make excuses and tell paid subscribers like me that they're wrong for wanting this feature or that, or such-and-such an issue is not really a flaw, it just means you don't understand the program (funny, I thought the iOS app, for example,  should be more useful for, uh, taking notes). I've been using Evernote for more than 10 years. The new desktop version is missing features that were essential to my workflow. Maybe not enough customers used them to justify including them in this version, but I'm not "wrong" to want them..

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Curt Wohleber said:

And "Evernote Legacy" is not Coke Classic

That would be a great analogy - Evernote reversing direction and reinstalling Evernote Legacy as their product
It the meantime, Evernote Legacy is working for me

19 hours ago, Pastor Wynn said:

There are numerous features that are no longer available, which other commenters have referenced.  However, if we cannot have a return of Preferences and Tabs, then I will be looking elsewhere. I have been a Premium subscriber for many years now.  I would hate to leave EN, but when essential features are stripped, what other choice do we have?

I've been a Premium subscriber for more than a decade, and this update is a disaster. It's normal for people to grumble when a new version of an application comes out, but I'm missing features that were integral to my workflow. I created templates so I could enter multi-paragraph text without adding/removing extra line breaks when moving content in and out of Evernote. Those templates don't work anymore, taking away what was already a cumbersome workaround. I can't check off Reminders in list view. No preferences menu?

• Like 2

DTLow, I may have chosen an incorrect term in saying "Upgrade."  However, when a company produces a "new & improved" product, it is considered an upgrade from what was.  However, in this case, the new iteration of the product is a less functional app.

Going back to the legacy version is not really a viable option for a paid subscriber, since EN no longer supports it.

One of the functions of a forum like this is to, hopefully, inform the company as to issues and improvements.  They cannot exist without their customers.  Therefore, it is both wise and prudent for them to at least give an ear to what is being said.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Pastor Wynn said:

However, when a company produces a "new & improved" product, it is considered an upgrade from what was.

Agreed - Evernote lied about version 10 being an "upgrade"

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It is not correct to say EN would not support legacy any longer.

Legacy is not discontinued, which would be the case if the server link would be severed. So basic support is still done, it simply is not developed any longer. As long as you keep your OS up to date, there are no know issues that would prohibit the use of legacy, be it personal or professional.

This is not a long term perspective, but it works for the time being.

That an app will be rolled out with a new set of features in a new version is nothing new. We usually expect „more“, but in this case we have got „other“. There are improvements long requested by users here in the forum, implemented in v10. And having the same app on different platforms is good as well. This is the positive side.

What I dislike is that there are many other features that were discontinued without proper lead or warning, or even a strategy for users to make the transition. Among these were core functions, and some very important for power users (like scripting and import folders, outlook and scanner support etc.). For me this is the main issue, not to use a little longer a legacy version that has all the features I need for my use case. In this respect v10 is a downgrade in everything but the release counter number.

With your use case, the chance to use legacy may be different, and you may come to a different conclusion.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Pastor Wynn said:

Going back to the legacy version is not really a viable option for a paid subscriber, since EN no longer supports it.

6.25 is the best alternative to 10.0 as best I can tell for my use case anyway.  So it is a viable option though not clear for how long.  It should be long enough to see the first set or two of "around the corner" feature add backs,  That should provide some insight as to whether this cluster will get fixed. 

In the meantime we can research alternatives as much as we may not want to have to use them and still be productive.

• Like 3

I'm not a power user and haven't looked through all the feature differences. But the new Evernote doesn't even show up as an *option* in my Mac's "Share" menu. I'm an academic and use Evernote to upload lots of pdfs of books and articles so I can use Evernote as a kind of Google through my own academic library. It's basically useless to me without the ability to conveniently upload pdfs into notes.

I appreciated the link to the "Legacy" version. As soon as I installed that, the Legacy version popped back up in my share menus. So, that seems to be the only workaround for me. I hope they will put the new Evernote into the Mac share menu at some point. Seems like such an obvious thing.

I am also terribly disappointed in this new version 10.1.7.  I have also been a premium subscriber for years.  I miss the ability to add tags from the top, and especially to tap on the notebook name above the note and move it from there, rather than having to go to a pull-down menu from there.  My biggest problem, however, was that I bought a new computer at about the same time as this new release, and getting Fujitsu's ScanSnap to work with it has been a nightmare.  After multiple hour-long sessions with Fujitsu's support we finally got it to scan directly to Evernote, however it scans to a newly created notebook each time!  

• Like 1

Upgrading to the old version right now - I thought I'd somehow put Evernote in idiot mode and was looking how to diagnose imported folders stopping working, but the feature is gone.

I just went to cancel my autorenewal as this is a bad sign for the future - but confused:

Message below suggests I'll immediately go  to Basic. Subs elsewhere typically say they'll continue on until expiry (which is June 2021).

Anyone tried?

image.png.f6dbb3bdc5c30685833548c26cb0bfcf.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, jontyc said:

Message below suggests I'll immediately go  to Basic. Subs elsewhere typically say they'll continue on until expiry (which is June 2021).

The Basic downgrade is not immediate.  It will occur on your renewal date

• Like 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, Billbert said:

I am also terribly disappointed in this new version 10.1.7.  ... and getting Fujitsu's ScanSnap to work with it has been a nightmare.  After multiple hour-long sessions with Fujitsu's support we finally got it to scan directly to Evernote, however it scans to a newly created notebook each time!  

This is what will happen currently with v10: A new notebook with each scan.

The only workaround is to install the legacy client, and use it at least for scanning.

This is needed until EN fixes the broken scan-to-EN capability. One of many open ends with v10 !

On 10/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, DTLow said:

This is a .0 release of a new product; a ba

I do agree, from my point of view v10 is a DOWNGRADE of features with some features that makes it not usable at all. For example shortcut to screenshot (ALT-S) is ALREADY USED ON POLISH KEYBOARD (as S cedilla) - as a polish user I cannot have Evernote running because it starts screenhot while I am typing.

Evernote is an alpha solution and should be OPTIONAL evaluation version for premium users. Fortunately I downgraded to Evernote Legacy to use the app.

Since 2010 I never had a reason to be unhappy with evernote. Now I am.

If they kill legacy evernote while not implementing basic features of into new app, I see no other option than migrate 10 years of my notes into another platform.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Piotas said:

If they kill legacy evernote while not implementing basic features of into new app, I see no other option than migrate 10 years of my notes into another platform.

I'm seeing basic features in version 10
The critical feature for me is scripting - Applescript on the Mac platform

• Like 1

...and 6 weeks later, the application still prompts folks to 'upgrade' only to experience the same frustration and disappointment.  From now on, I read the forums before I upgrade.  Back to legacy it is...and maybe a different notes solution...

• Like 2

This thread is old, but still so relevant. Evernote abandoned users like me who've paying for and using it since its early days.

They'll be taking the Google approach to legacy support for 9. In other words, in a year or so they will drop support entirely and probably block access for version 9 and below.

I for one will be stuck with an app that is no longer supported, and upgrade path that is no good due to all the missing features, and 10 years worth of Evernote data locked into some odd XML format with no way out. 

I suffered with Evernote shortcomings (like the horrific editor) for years thinking they would get around to fixing them. Instead, I got the finger. I just hope by the time they kill v9, there is a way to migrate my old data into a better platform.

• Level 5
25 minutes ago, Harry Slaughter said:

This thread is old, but still so relevant. Evernote abandoned users like me who've paying for and using it since its early days.

They'll be taking the Google approach to legacy support for 9. In other words, in a year or so they will drop support entirely and probably block access for version 9 and below.

I for one will be stuck with an app that is no longer supported, and upgrade path that is no good due to all the missing features, and 10 years worth of Evernote data locked into some odd XML format with no way out. 

I suffered with Evernote shortcomings (like the horrific editor) for years thinking they would get around to fixing them. Instead, I got the finger. I just hope by the time they kill v9, there is a way to migrate my old data into a better platform.

So, if I read you rightly, you're still using Evernote v. 6.25 (there never was a version 9), which indeed is no longer being updated or given tech support; you refuse to upgrade to v. 10 because of features that were missing two years ago, but many of which are back in place now, along with an array of features that v. 6 never had; you find the v. 6 editor to be "horrific" but refuse to upgrade to v. 10 to test its editor, which I find vastly improved....

IMHO (which, I know, you did not ask for), before you accuse Evernote of giving you the finger, you owe them the courtesy, at least, of trying v. 10, in the Web version if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When version 10 was released, I was as disappointed as you. However, now I see that creating a common source code base has been the right decision. All versions on the different platforms are identical to use with the same features. And after some time the frequency of releasing new features increased a lot. I think that now the application is even feature-richer than the legacy version. I am very happy with it and the new features being released much more often than in the previous versions. What are the features of the legacy version that you are still missing in the current version 10?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Harry Slaughter said:

Evernote abandoned users like me

Evernote has not "abandoned users"   
Accounts are still supported; client software is still functional (Legacy and Version 10)   

>... 10 years worth of Evernote data locked into some odd XML format with no way out.

The data formal is enml; basically html  
I had no problem exporting my data
(using my Mac and the Legacy client software)

• Level 5

The problem of @Harry Slaughter is likely not the features of the current v10 clients.

His likely problem is that his device is still on Android 9 - and v10 needs at least Android 10 to be installed. So he feels left out of all the exiting new stuff, forced to run the legacy EN Android client ver.8.

From how I see it, there is little hope that the v10 release will be rolled backwards. The problem is less EN, the problem is the bad update policy of Android device makers. Especially the older and the cheaper devices often got no or only 1 OS update. Android 9 released in August 2018.

If there are no further updates offered for the device, the only solution is to get a newer phone. Not a good solution to be sure, and bad on sustainability - but given the meak Android updates by many producers probably the only option. iOS owner don‘t know that problem: EN needs at least iOS 13 - which means that all devices back to 2014 are supported.