I have a few notes that are stuck on importing. They have been importing for more than a day and a few hours on my iPhone running latest iOS 14.1They each shared through the safari share sheet to en. One was a webpage, one a screenshot, and another a PDF. 

anyone else running into this?

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Can you tell a little more about how you try to send web content to EN ?

For me, it works, for some pages better, for others less and for some only nonsense. But it creates notes.

An alternative could be to set the web page to reader mode (if possible), select share, select print. A print dialogue will open, showing the pages.

Now pinch outward with 2 Fingers, this will create a pdf. It opens on top of the print window. Now select share again, and EN. Enter a note title, select a notebook. Confirm. When you open EN the next time, the new note will be created with an attached pdf, containing the web site. No active links this way.

Don‘t stack clips waiting for import, best way is to open EN briefly after each clip and wait until the new note is created.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Can you tell a little more about how you try to send web content to EN ?

For me, it works, for some pages better, for others less and for some only nonsense. But it creates notes.

An alternative could be to set the web page to reader mode (if possible), select share, select print. A print dialogue will open, showing the pages.

Now pinch outward with 2 Fingers, this will create a pdf. It opens on top of the print window. Now select share again, and EN. Enter a note title, select a notebook. Confirm. When you open EN the next time, the new note will be created with an attached pdf, containing the web site. No active links this way.

Don‘t stack clips waiting for import, best way is to open EN briefly after each clip and wait until the new note is created.

Does it work for you in the iOS app using the share sheet? I am not talking specifically web pages, but actual files as well. At this point I am not going to try using the share sheet option again as the one way that I have found to work for sure is email into EN - which really defeats the purpose of sharing directly into the app.

Getting stuck on importing is a bug that EN is aware or per a ticket I had going on. I was told it could take up to 24 hours..... so I am not sure if they know it can drag on for 4+ days as my phone is still trying to import from Monday.

They are all stuck from using the iOS share sheet and selecting Evernote as an option. I have tried clipping/sharing a pdf directly from safari - still trying to import. I have shared a image/screenshot and that is still trying to import. Each way was tried twice as neither showed as importing/imported within a few minutes of opening up Evernote after clipping.  I think a webpage is still trying to import, but I ended up doing that on my Mac so I honestly do not know. App shows 4 clips remaining and I have no way of finding out what 3 of them are....

• Level 5

Just tried it in the Files app: Selected a mind map file, long press, share to, Evernote, Title plus notebook, done.

Went to EN, once the app was active it notified me about the import. Took a moment, the new note appeared, title and attachment were inserted, done.

iPhone 11 Pro max, iOS 14.1, EN iOS v10.1

If things may have gotten stuck, shut down your iPhone completely (switch it off). This will clean out RAM and quit all pending jobs. Restart it, boot it up, try again.

Because it seems to me as well that EN v10 is still not stable, probably import one by one, switching between the source and the EN app to make the share downloading before starting the next one.

Not great, but probably better than getting stuck again.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If things may have gotten stuck, shut down your iPhone completely (switch it off). This will clean out RAM and quit all pending jobs. Restart it, boot it up, try again.

Done - multiple times. First rule of troubleshooting - restart :) It did not clear any of the pending uploads. 

I think I am going to end up uninstalling and installing it to phone again. And then the joy of downloading offline notebooks again 🙂

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tried it in the Files app: Selected a mind map file, long press, share to, Evernote, Title plus notebook, done.

This is good to hear that it is working for you. I am on same iOS version though my imports were tried on previous EN version before 10.1 was released. Maybe 10.1 fixed the importing without any mention (general bug fixes) in release notes?

• Level 5

Yes, not really great at the moment. Went through uninstall once as well, because of an undeletable note that was created by - surprise - a sharing that went bad.

Downloaded 10.1. yesterday, it feels much smoother. Hopefully EN gets this sorted out, the sooner the better.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I confirm I have the same issue here. 

Saving a capture juste taken to Evernote always end in 

<sync icon turning> Importation of "Unknown.pdf"

XX captures remaining.

Uninstalling reinstalling is not a solution! 

For the moment my workaround is pushing thought the personal Evernote email to add a new note.

Capture d’écran . 2020-11-20 à 09.20.09.png

Same here. Saw this in EN several weeks ago but didn’t realize what it was until now. I have 8 notes stuck and I don’t know what they are. Frustrating because I save articles for school research. It bothers me this issue has carried in for so long without a fix. Hope a fix arrives soon. I use this feature a TON!

5172600B-C07D-46B8-A99E-BC7D4CD67F4F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Not good to have time invested and see it stuck there. If you uninstall, the queued content is gone.

But this will probably happen anyhow.

For the future I propose you keep the app running, and switch between sharing and importing, to avoid a large amount of unprocessed data to build. Not as smooth, but I had no further issues since doing it . And worst case you only loose one share, and can reproduce it easily.

This issue should be returned to open status as the "Solution" is a work around with resultant loss of data involved.

Please address this. 

The number of Topics now listed in the iOS En v10 forum that relate this issue or some aspect of it is getting over the top.

Please Evernote Staff can we have a statement about this issue and the plan to address it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same importing issue - i am increasingly concerned about evernote as my central repository - these type of bugs should be addressed on a timely basis - they are not. I am looking for alternatives

• Like 1

I am a 10y Premium User

I have been trying to resolve this bug for weeks without reinstalling the app on ios to avoid losing the queued documents (which I cant reference back)

I cant wait for a new release and add notes to this black hole of queued items.

I have to uninstall, reinstall and loose all my queued docs now.

More generally:

I have been dissapointed with the lack of progress at Evernote before the last release,

I find the new release very buggy (with other issues like: when you remove a “todo” tag on a note, it will still appear on your “tag:todo” filtered list ...

These issues should have been corrected in a timely basis ...

Anyone with experience Notion  (or another strong contender) ? and transfering database from Evernote to Notion ? 

Any feedback most welcome. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same issue here. Very disappointed to be losing the unsync'ed notes but seems like uninstall is the only option that worked for people in this thread. Evernote team - please, don't just ignore this issue, I see quite a few frustrated premium subscribers here.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, buckethead said:

Uninstalling and reinstalling worked to clear the stuck notes. If anyone else is having the same problem wait a day or two to see if they import and then reinstall to fix. 

I’m new to this type of online help. I’m wondering why Evernote doesn’t answer how to fix. Why do regular users have to figure it out between them?

Just joined Premium yesterday. Downloaded 3 pdf’s using Ipad version and the importing wheel is still spinning. Also spinning on iPhone.

Do I have to reinstall on all devices? Will I loose my already synced data? 

• Level 5

What you can try before uninstall/reinstall: Close all apps from the home screen - no app running. Then switch the iPhone completely off, wait a little, and switch it on again. Now don't open any other app, just EN. If you are lucky, it will import and sync now. Maybe needs some minutes to do so.

You can try a forced restart as well, after manually closing all apps. This takes the reset of memory on step further, so maybe the pending import will get lost.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

I wound up backing up my iPad and iPhone then deleted and reinstalled the app.Tried using same method but only sent one pdf. Same problem. After another delete and reinstall I chose another path to successfully import the pdf to Evernote. I uploaded to my email and then used my Evernote email address to send the pdf. It worked. 

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What you can try before uninstall/reinstall: Close all apps from the home screen - no app running. Then switch the iPhone completely off, wait a little, and switch it on again. Now don't open any other app, just EN. If you are lucky, it will import and sync now. Maybe needs some minutes to do so.

You can try a forced restart as well, after manually closing all apps. This takes the reset of memory on step further, so maybe the pending import will get lost.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

I tried this 2 times.  Once closing all background apps and powering off the ipad.  The other, I tried force closing Evernote and rebooting ipad.  In both cases, it's still saying importing "unknown.pdf" 4 clips remaining.  I waited 15 minutes for the files to import with no luck. 

3 hours ago, Trudy said:

I wound up backing up my iPad and iPhone then deleted and reinstalled the app.Tried using same method but only sent one pdf. Same problem. After another delete and reinstall I chose another path to successfully import the pdf to Evernote. I uploaded to my email and then used my Evernote email address to send the pdf. It worked. 

So it sounds like a defect in the Evernote share clipper in IOS? 

• 1 month later...

Yup, pretty much what you gotta do: uninstall, reinstall, at least until they figure out what is going on. Still waiting on an import folder for the application  version, so who knows when they'll fix this issue. 😁

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tobycarver said:

Yup, pretty much what you gotta do: uninstall, reinstall, at least until they figure out what is going on. Still waiting on an import folder for the application  version, so who knows when they'll fix this issue. 😁

Since reinstalling 2 months ago (and losing 5 posts) the problem hasn't happened, but then I never let more than 1 or 2 posts queue up before doing a synch. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

iOS is running all apps in sandboxes, and only allows „boxed“ content to be transferred between, via the share menu.

Probably initially the memory allowance of the EN app was a little short of what was needed. This was resolved. But still if there is more on the plate than EN can chew, it chokes. So I think it is currently best practice not to test system limits, by piling a lot of pending shares on top of each other.

• Level 5

Hopefully it is fixed. I would still not throw a large number of imports on the app, all pending whether app is opened next.

Better to let the app import after sending a few import chunks that way. Else if one gets stuck, the whole pile is probably lost. To allow the import, just open the app and wait until the little „x clips waiting to be imported“ window closes. Then wait again until the green markers have vanished. The green markers say „this note still needs to be synced“, not „it has synced“, as some assumed by the green color.

Only after the sync is through and the green markers have vanished, the new notes are on the server as well, safe and ready to sync to other devices.

Not sure if this is really fixed ...

Version 10.6 & iOS 14.4.1.
Attached screenshots from iPhone, trying to merely imput 2 standard photos.Activity log says "failed because ... does not exist".

See time displayed in screenshots ... frustrating. (WLAN connection was just fine all the time.)

IMG_6571.PNG

IMG_6572.PNG

IMG_6573.PNG

IMG_6574.PNG

Evernote is still hung up trying to import 4 clips.  I am running 10.6, I have uninstalled, shut down and reinstalled yet Evernote is still trying to import 4 clips.  How do I stop this?  There was a previous post for this same issue and it was closed because it was supposedly corrected in version 10.6.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:40 PM, Sharon E said:

Evernote is still hung up trying to import 4 clips.  I am running 10.6, I have uninstalled, shut down and reinstalled yet Evernote is still trying to import 4 clips.  How do I stop this?  There was a previous post for this same issue and it was closed because it was supposedly corrected in version 10.6.

My iPhone screen says “importing .pdf....29 clips remaining”! Has been like this for awhile and keeps on adding more clips to the error page!! HELP!

Problem is NOT solved. In my case EN has serious trouble importing a 90 Kb standard PDF file. it's trying for over half  a day now. Had to use the uninstall - reboot - install workaround to get rid of this file. So far I'm not able to import ANY file on my iPhone.

I see others are still having trouble with this feature on iOS. I have to say that after the last time I uninstalled/reinstalled, along with an additional update, I have not had this problem (I am currently on EN version 10.7 (1112006)). Over the past week, I exported several PDF and PowerPoint documents from a Moodle shell into a specific notebook and they all imported just fine. I open EN and watch as the items I selected for import are processed. At times, I had up to 19 items to import. This is on my iPad Pro (10.5-inch) with iOS version 14.4.2. I am sorry others are still experiencing this issue. It was frustrating for me especially in light of the fact that the new version of EN for Windows has yet to add import folders.

15 minutes ago, tobycarver said:

I see others are still having trouble with this feature on iOS. I have to say that after the last time I uninstalled/reinstalled, along with an additional update, I have not had this problem (I am currently on EN version 10.7 (1112006)). Over the past week, I exported several PDF and PowerPoint documents from a Moodle shell into a specific notebook and they all imported just fine. I open EN and watch as the items I selected for import are processed. At times, I had up to 19 items to import. This is on my iPad Pro (10.5-inch) with iOS version 14.4.2. I am sorry others are still experiencing this issue. It was frustrating for me especially in light of the fact that the new version of EN for Windows has yet to add import folders.

Hmm..uninstalled EN two times today. After reinstalling the very first file got “stuck” and didn’t import. A’m about to uninstall & install for the third time today.  I’m also on 10.7 (1112006).

Tablet iOS Version 10.7.1

Had a couple of files idling on 'importing'  a month or 2 ago and just kept it that way as there was no solution to fix this. I didn't use that tablet anymore and only added clips/notes via my laptop (that does not have this issue). I just waited for a solution in an updated Evernote version.

This week I forgot about it and added clips via the iOS tablet device. Noticed newly added clips just pile up (or queue up) behind the file that is "stuck" in the importing process.

Now I have 19 clips stuck in that "idling" importation state and no way to access those clips (or remove the clip that is causing this). Don't want to lose those and hope there's a fix soon

I just canceled my premium subscription and deleted my account months before the renewal date. Don’t care EN doesn’t do refunds. EN didn’t solve a problem...it created a lot of new ones. 
Restart the device to get the share menu work again. 
Delete EN and reinstall EN to get clips imported. 
Copies of notes on a regular basis. 
Horrible formatting of Some imported clips. 
No thanks, not anymore. 

Hi,

is there any update on this issue?

will it be resolved?

is it an issue that can’t be resolved? 

Either way an answer would be welcome, so I can or delete the queue by reinstalling (and lose clips) or wait for a solution/update

thank you for letting me know

• Level 5

I did not have an issue with this for a long time, but some weeks ago a shared clip got stuck on my iPad. It was a pdf created in Safari and then shared to EN. Instead of importing, it showed briefly up when I started the app, looked as if it tried to import, failed every time and disappeared.

Other shared clips were not stopped by this, they imported just fine. Even the same content as in the shared clip was imported when I recreated and send it a second time.

So I decided to take no action on the single clip hanging in the clipping inbox. It showed for some time every time I opened the app or imported something else. Just a nuisance. A few days ago, after installing the EN 10.8 release from the AppStore, the blocked clip disappeared by itself, and has not returned yet.

What lessons do I take from this ?

Importing content by sharing is still sort of shaky. So better not queue up a long import inbox, in case it gets really stuck. Open the app in between, and let all clips import before adding more.

Sometimes things correct themselves, or better are solved by updating.

Hi all, I am having this problem too.  Is there a way to see which clips are remaining to be synced?  At least that way I could manually re-clip to EN on another device. Right now, EN on my phone has been stuck on the same number of clips remaining for weeks and I don't want to un/reinstall and lose those clips without knowing what they are first.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, tobycarver said:

Same here. Saw this in EN several weeks ago but didn’t realize what it was until now. I have 8 notes stuck and I don’t know what they are. Frustrating because I save articles for school research. It bothers me this issue has carried in for so long without a fix. Hope a fix arrives soon. I use this feature a TON!

5172600B-C07D-46B8-A99E-BC7D4CD67F4F.jpeg

ditto here 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We've been able to reproduce this issue, and working to implement a fix.

I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

Please continue to let us know on this thread if you're encountering this issue.

I have this issue on Android with evernote 10.9. 

I have noticed that there seems to be a 'state machine' error on in the import feature in Evernote.  I am using the app (version 10.9) on an Android phone. I routinely use the 'share' feature from the phone browser to save articles (I have tried three different internet browsers on the phone and they all do the same thing, so I suspect it is Evernote, or perhaps the Android operating system and not the browser, that causes this condition.)  The symptom appears when that I 'share' an article from the browser to Evernote; and Evernote shows the 'banner' with the spinner icon in the 'Notes' section while it is importing the note. (1) if I navigate away from  the Evernote app before the import finishes, it does not finish the incomplete import in the 'background', but only upon later returning to Evernote 'Notes' section, whereupon it continues showing the 'importing...' banner ... and (often) completes importing only after Evernote has been left open in the foreground for a sufficient time for the import to fully complete.

However, (2) it seems that there is a 'cache' somewhere that 'remembers' prior imports.  When I later go back to the phone internet browser, find some new article, and try 'share -> Evernote' to import the next one, the dialog box in Evernote opens and it still shows the title of some previous article (let's call it article 'X' -- which had actually successfully imported previously many imports ago.)  If I don't hit cancel and choose 'save', it will duplicate the import of article X and make a redundant copy of this previously imported article in Notes.

If I do hit 'Cancel', then return to the Internet Browser, and then 'Share -> Evernote' again, this time the import state machine will begin working to import the new article.  However, even after successfully doing so, and after some time later, the next time that I go to 'share -> Evernote' to import another new article, I will see the import dialog appear again with the same previous article 'X', which I first have to 'cancel', then return to the internet browser, and then hit 'share -> Evernote' again to successfully import the new article. 

It does seem that if I "quit" the Evernote app (using the 'close app' feature in Android) and then re-launch it, the stuck 'Article X' import seems to be cleared...until the next time the bug occurs with some future article, which then becomes the 'stuck' import default article. I'm not certain of this (the state error being cleared by terminating and then re-launching the app) having only tested it briefly, but it may be a valid 'state clearing' condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently updated to Evernote 10.9 on my iPhone XS, running the latest iOS. Since updating, I can no longer clip anything from Safari into Evernote. It tells me I have clipped the article, but when I open Evernote, it’s not there. 

Shutting down Evernote and restarting it has no effect.

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I recently updated to Evernote 10.9 on my iPhone XS, running the latest iOS. Since updating, I can no longer clip anything from Safari into Evernote. It tells me I have clipped the article, but when I open Evernote, it’s not there. 

Shutting down Evernote and restarting it has no effect.

I just uninstalled then reinstalled the app. I can now clip notes from Safari again.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Yes, you loose everything stuck in the import loop. It is in a sandbox where only EN can access it (iOS restriction), and once the app is uninstalled, the sandbox vanishes as well.

This is no reason not to uninstall, because there is AFAIK no recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

one more thing

had to delete (in Evernote) the 1 note that (allegedly?) blocked the importing/syncing

it was the one at the bottom of the sync list (chronologically the 'oldest' one)

all the notes in the queue kept idling until i removed that one (in my case a newsletter), then everything really synced immediately

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 6:06 AM, belgiumbart said:

one more thing

had to delete (in Evernote) the 1 note that (allegedly?) blocked the importing/syncing

it was the one at the bottom of the sync list (chronologically the 'oldest' one)

all the notes in the queue kept idling until i removed that one (in my case a newsletter), then everything really synced immediately

How were you able to access this sync import list and delete the problematic note? I have a queue of about 20+ clips that got bottlenecked before I realized what was happening. I would love to manually access the notes that are stuck on my phone and just re-sync them on my laptop (since I can't even see which notes are not importing). This is the only reason I have not deleted and reinstalled the app -- I haven't wanted to lose what's already in the import queue and have not been able to see what I'd be losing.

Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

• 5 months later...

I’m struggling with this too - for me it’s not PDFs rather links from Safari/Instapaper etc. oddly, Evernote iOS gives me the tally of links being imported from my iPhone clips, EN iPadOS gives me the tally of clips being imported from iPad clips. Like @Matt Miranda above I’m loathe to simply uninstall & reinstall if o lose the details of the clips I’m waiting to import.

Thanks friends …

update 2: App Store says Instapaper app hasn’t been updated in about a year,  so I presume its share extension still passes along the same info in the same format as before this issue appeared. 

update: FWIW, the same Instapaper articles import into Evernote just fine on macOS using Web Clipper 7.18.0. 

I’m having the same issue @Sky Blue Thinking describes with Evernote on iPad getting stuck while importing articles shared from Instapaper. Occasionally get first article in queue imported successfully, across multiple attempts after forced quits, but then import stalls again. Have only gotten eight articles saved over eight days, which is less than one day’s imports, based on my typical usage. Deleting and reinstalling Evernote didn’t help. 

Started around 22 December 2021. Happens on both iPad and iPhone. Both devices are running Evernote 10.23.1. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Edited by EricPSmith
Add Mac info, Instapaper info
  • Level 5

Contact support about it.

Since you are sharing from services that store the original website (if I understood your workflow correctly) it could as well be Instapaper changed something on their service.

Sometimes it can be a bugger to find such a problem between 2 services.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to contact support about this issue, but I don’t see a way to do so. When I go to the contact web page while signed in, the email and phone options are disabled, leaving me only this community forum for support. I understand this limitation on free accounts, but it prevents me from dealing with them directly about what appears to be a legitimate Evernote bug. 

• Level 5

EN decided to provide direct support only to subscribers. Company policy, since Support always needs staff to provide it it is probably a major cost factor.

Then you have to see if somebody from the forum has an idea. Maybe it raises your chances if you open your own thread, mentioning problems with clipping from Instapaper in the thread title.

The general „stuck on import“ seems pretty much resolved, given there are nearly no new posts about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 6:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

The general „stuck on import“ seems pretty much resolved, given there are nearly no new posts about it.

I still have this issue, despite having latest version….I get this same message for months now without clipping or saving other notes, emails etc.  I’ve left it because I don’t know what to do about it??

F7FB328D-D059-47D2-9071-C918383DBE05.jpeg

7 hours ago, Triciar said:

I still have this issue, despite having latest version….I get this same message for months now without clipping or saving other notes, emails etc.  I’ve left it because I don’t know what to do about it??

Have you uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled it? I have not seen a stuck on importing issue for a loooooong time.

• Level 5

„… 17 clips remaining“ says it all.

How does clipping on iOS work ?

It sends web content through sharing from the browser (or other sources) to the EN app. Each one is running isolated in a sandbox, and can only communicate through the sharing.

The receiving app needs to run, fetch what is in its sharing inbox and convert it into content.

Here a lot of clips were pushed into the sharing pipeline. None was received while clipping continued. Now the receiving app has hit a problem. Since it works sequential, none of the queued clips can bypass the problem clip.

Consequence: The clips are most likely lost.

If you uninstall the app, they are lost for sure. Deleting the app deletes the inbox queue as well.

You can try to keep EN running - eventually it will make the import after a longer wait. Set the „autolockscreen“ to never, make EN the active app, wait.

In the future stop clipping after a few clips. Open the app and wait while it imports. You can still have a problem clip, but you won’t loose a truckload of clips.

Or use the much better EN WebClipper on PC or Mac.

• Thanks 1