Search gramma - no ”” search possible

hello,

I am writing in search button ”seventh house” but it gives me notes in return which has the word seventh and the word house but not in the exact phrase ”seventh house”

It stopped working in v10 or I do sth wrong?

36 minutes ago, Rafal108 said:

hello,

I am writing in search button ”seventh house” but it gives me notes in return which has the word seventh and the word house but not in the exact phrase ”seventh house”

I can reproduce this behaviour. While it finds notes containing either words it normally only highlights the words in the note if both words together. That's not much help, just an observation. I know the search is trying to be clever and perhaps a little more fuzzy than we are used to. However I would have thought that the two words next to each other would put it at the top of the list when sorted by relevance.

Overall I would expect phrases in quotation marks to be searched for as a unit - like in every other search I have ever used!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Rafal108 said:

hello,

Hi.  It's entirely possible that the search grammar is very basic at this point.  You may want to switch back to the Legacy version to get a full feature search.

Since others say they can reproduce it, it must be so, but in my testing, phrase search works as intended, Windows ToC gives different results than "Windows ToC" (exact phrase), a few other combinations gave me the same results.

We know the program is buggy, but could it be the version?  I am currently using 10.1.7

Though I must admit, I do most editing in the legacy version, using v. 10 mostly for browsing and testing, until I am confident v. 10 won't break my data, so that might be why I have not seen this.

I also am no longer able to search for a phrase. Prior to upgrade to 10 I was able to enter one double quotation mark " followed by phrase and press Enter and search would return all notes that contained that phrase. Now it does not do so even though I can see a note with that exact phrase in the title. Perhaps it takes some time for the new Evernote to index new notes. I search for phrases frequently so I am reverting to previous version which is not as pretty but it works.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Pete Nikolai said:

I also am no longer able to search for a phrase. Prior to upgrade to 10 I was able to enter one double quotation mark " followed by phrase and press Enter and search would return all notes that contained that phrase. Now it does not do so even though I can see a note with that exact phrase in the title. Perhaps it takes some time for the new Evernote to index new notes. I search for phrases frequently so I am reverting to previous version which is not as pretty but it works.

Interesting. I assume search is done on the server so i'm not sure that a change in version makes much difference. It's possible however they can make changes to search without any changes to the client software. I'm not really seeing much difference. The use of only one quotation mark is interesting. I am finding it quite inconsistent. Sometimes it works quite well and other times it seems to just ignore the quotation marks. Here are some results of a search:

evernote search   65 notes found. The words highlighted in the text of the note or if it is in the title in the note list. All notes included both words or in one case the word search and the tag Evernote.

"evernote search"        9 notes all containing the phrase "evernote search". The phrase is highlighted. It includes one with the phrase "evernote - search" but it's not highlighted

"evernote search       Still 9 notes but now all the words are highlighted independently as well as together

I've done other searches (for example "of focus") where the results containing the phrase are scattered through the list. That may be because you EN doesn't allow you to  search for of by itself.

It's disappointing that the basic search trick of enclosing a phrase in quotation marks idoesn't seem to work consistently in an app which prides itself on it's search function.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

The forum is user to user, to share our experience (and sometimes emotions …).

When you have an issue, contact support, or use the feedback function of a client.

Just tried some search variations myself. Not what I expected - the „.“ seemed to have no effect at all.