Can't view. note content - New Mac app

Hi - I can't access the note content of my notes in the new version of EN for mac. The notes are there, reminders, notebooks etc, but when I click to open a note i am presented with a blank note,

Any ideas?

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Dantray said:

Hi - I can't access the note content of my notes in the new version of EN for mac. The notes are there, reminders, notebooks etc, but when I click to open a note i am presented with a blank note,

Any ideas?

You mentioned the "new version" of Evernote. Did you mean Evernote 10?

• Like 1

I also have this and have no idea how to fix it.  What does "log in with apple" mean? I just opened Evernote as usual and I can't see any content, although all of the notes appear to be there.  Oh this is on the computer (Mac) version, by the way. iPhone version seems to show content OK.

• Like 1

Today I opened evernote and searched for someone's name. All the documents in the search results were blank.  I clicked on various notes in the list, but nothing! I panicked, thinking that my evernote database had been wiped out. I then quit evernote and reopened it. Fortunately, now all the documents are visible.

I am on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

v 10.1.7 build 1902 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

on a sidenote, where are we supposed to report bugs? Do we do it here in this forum, as I am starting to accumulate a small list but some are quite severe. I have been a paid evernote user since 2015.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, Dantray said:

Yes Evernote 10. 

I am logging in with email, not apple or google, if that matters.

Okay, this was posted in the "Legacy" Evernote forum, I've moved it into the Evernote 10 group where it belongs.

I upgraded to the desktop version 10.2.4. When I open it, I see all my notes in the snippets column, however, if I click on one, nothing appears in the note window other than notes I created by typing directly in a new note. But I can't see any of my other notes: things that I screen captured, images that I imported, nothing at all!  If I use the online version, I can see everything.

So, essentially, I have no more desktop Evernote. I'm on the Premium Plan. I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7

I've downloaded 10.2.4 a few times already and it's always the same thing -- I can't see my notes other than the snippets. I depend heavily on Evernote and have for years, and am at a total loss about what to do.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a fix. I tried to download the legacy version but it gets an error message when I try to open it. I no longer have my version 7.14 to install.

I see from this thread that others are having the same problem and so far there is no solution. How sad. I guess I'll have to look for another note app after all these years. What a bummer.

• Like 3

Same issue here.  I updated to 10.2.4 on my MAC last night.  I have access to notes but many are not displaying content correctly that wasn't directly typed into the note via the EN app itself.  For example, pdf docs, photos, etc.  If EN can't ensure access to my content across upgrades, it makes no sense to continue use of this application,.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Since this is a problem others are having and not just me, it makes one wonder what kind of QA Evernote is doing before releasing so many new features. It's really hard to understand how QA could have missed a problem of this magnitude. I've just imported all my notes into DEVONThink 3 and will be using that from now on. I'd prefer to use EN for a variety of reasons, but, as explained above, it seems no longer feasible.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

For those of you still experiencing this issue, and have not updated to the most recent release, please do so.

If you are on the most current version, do you have a large account with a lot of notes?

The reason I ask is that for larger accounts, it may take some time for everything to load/sync.

Generally, this process should take just a few minutes. However, I have seen instances of it taking north of an hour for very large accounts with notes that contain a lot of content, attachments, etc.

Let me know as this will help me further investigate into this issue.

• Like 1

Yes, same issue here as well.  It's endless trying to load - then it says relaunch over and over again.  Please help - can't access very important info - I can't even use on the web browser version   this is a world of hurt   SOS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Using Evernote 10.5.7 app on an iMac with OSX 10.14.6 Mojave.

All the notebooks are listed in the left column of the app, but on clicking a notebook at least half don't list the notes they contain. Instead I get "Sorry we're having some trouble. Try reloading the page" but that doesn't help. So the desktop app is unusable. Logging in via the website everything seems to work as expected.

Seems to be a common problem. Has it been fixed yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing here. This happens on both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 10.16.1, on two separate MacOS devices. If I exit Evernote and relaunch, note content will again display, but when I come back later, they do not.  I'm on Evernote 10.5.7 build 458420 public.

• Level 5

BigSur is currently 11.1 - there is no release MacOS with a version number of 10.16.

The current EN client for Macs is 10.6.9. I think there was something mentioned in the release notes about the problem you describe. I would install the new version, and try again.

I am having the exact problem on my Mac with  Evernote (10.6.9). I  can no longer use Evernote on my Mac, (Catalina 10.15.4,) and in desperation have to use my iPad which is most unsatisfactory and  especially when I am paying as a premium subscriber. I can find no way to communicate with Evernote. Unfortunately I have not long renewed by subscription. Up until now I have sung the praises of Evernote and as a result many I know now use Evernote. However, until problems like this are solved and good communication is offered I will no longer recommend Evernote and will strongly reconsider finding an alternative when my subscription is up. I thought the problem was my computer and have wasted much frustrating time trying to solve the issue. I am so disappointed as up until recently I have found Evernote fantastic to use for so many things. 

I've also been having this issue, and I'm in the newest version (10.6.9). From what I can tell, it happens when I've left Evernote open for a little while. I'll come back and try to open a note, and nothing comes up. But, if I close and restart, things seem to work again.

Same issue here for months now.  Only remedy is to reboot the app.  Can't go on like this.

Can someone from Evernote PLEASE acknowledge this issue and provide some useful guidance?

Much appreciated - 

Frustrated in MA

I am running Evernote 10.8.4 and believe I'm running into this issue nearly every day now. It's extremely frustrating. The Evernote app remains running on my computer at all times, when I come back to it the next day, creating a new note results in a blank screen. This blank screen has no Title or Body that I can type in. The only way to fix this is to restart Evernote. 

I have the same issue. A new MacBook Pro - When I put the app on the computer, all notes are searchable, but when I open them the content is completely blank. Very frustrating. I can login online and see it, but I am used to having everything on the app. It works fine on my older laptop.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also having this problem. I am using the Evernote uploader on my desktop with a MacBook running the latest version of OSX, Mac OS 11.6.  I am running Evernote desktop 10.22.3, The title of the notes (filename) is present, but none of the content or files are present. When I check the web version of Evernote, the content is not there either.

The product was running correctly early in the day on Saturday 10/2/2021, but in the afternoon, stopped running correctly and lost about 3 hours of note uploads.

I checked on it today (Sunday, 10/3/2021) and the product did not resume uploading or correct the missing file information.  The web version also did not have the missing information.

_SyncLog.dat

• 1 month later...

I am on Monterey and just uninstalled EN and installed the 10.26.5 version. i have notes with no content and my largest notebook says "Notebook not Found." All of this is visible on the web and on my IOS devices, just not the Mac app. Perplexing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, Dantray said:

Any ideas?

Facing same issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

For those of you still experiencing this issue, and have not updated to the most recent release, please do so.

If you are on the most current version, do you have a large account with a lot of notes?

The reason I ask is that for larger accounts, it may take some time for everything to load/sync.

Generally, this process should take just a few minutes. However, I have seen instances of it taking north of an hour for very large accounts with notes that contain a lot of content, attachments, etc.

Let me know as this will help me further investigate into this issue.

I have updated to the latest release but am not seeing any change after an hour./..

How do you contact support?

I'm at the end of my rope here. The MacOS app has been limping for the last year and this last month it went over the cliff: I've reinstalled the latest Evernote client 4 times with the same result -- either can't access any of my notes or I can only access a smattering of them (with the rest replaced by a spinning green progress circle that never resolves). 

And now, even the web Evernote is broken.

WTF happened to Evernote?

...and what platform are people moving to? I'm curious to know what the smoothest migration options are.

• Level 5

My Mac client works fine. Maybe your local database took a shot. You can try this to rebuild it:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
Else the support option is here (and in 3 other places, 2 of them maybe a bit obscured):

Thank you, I don't think the issue is with the transfer. I think the issue is with the Evernote app on Macbook Air. I read in one of the forums that when you have a lot of notes it can take awhile for them to sync. It seems like that is what is happening....

Thanks PinkElephant,

I've done as you've suggested, having removed the EN data. I'm restarting the mac now.

Interestingly, I'm unable to get to support using the link you've provided. That's the place I've gone hundreds of times before, in search of a customer support option. Here's what happens: At the top of the page it perennially says "You have logged out of evernote," even if I just went through a login prompt to get to the page. When I click the "Log in" button at the top, it takes me straight to my Evernote notebooks -- not to the support page.

I'll let you know how the reload goes, assuming I can find my way back to this forum post.

Thanks,

Mark

w00h00! That did the trick - my MacOS Evernote client seems to have all my notes in it; nothing is hanging.

Thank you PinkElephant. This is huge. 

...if anyone has ideas on the customer service issue (inability to reach customer service because of circular authentication loop), I'm all ears.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for the feedback.

About the customer service link: Just tried it on my iPad - worked just fine. It opened the appropriate page, I entered my login, and could enter the ticket. I have not send it, but everything until then worked as it should.

Maybe there is something in your browsers change blocking the access. To test it you could use another browser (for example Firefox). Deleting the browser cache (website data) for Evernote.com might do the trick as well.

If you run a mobile client, support is in the apps settings, support, issue ticket as well.

I'll add that I updated to the latest version of 10 (been on 10 for a while) and EN crashed (I do have a log if anyone is interested. I did try to look at the log but didn't recognize the libraries being used, guessing they're internal). So I tried restarting my computer (but not the steps PinkElephant stated above) and tried restarting the client and it started this massively long cycle of an arrow around an elephant (I want to call it the elephant beachball) so I gave up on it after a couple of tries of restarting it. So for grins and giggles I found the link to download it directly instead of using the Mac App Store and lo and behold that did the trick. That or EN had parsed enough of my data to finally start working. But it works now. All of that would be fine if it could be included in the release notes (expect a very long reindex of the database or something more user friendly maybe). The crash wasn't fine and I think someone needs to look at why it happened. If it's my fault then fine I'll shut up and move on. If it's otherwise it could point to a build issue, though I'm unaware of your build process as I've never played with Electron code and presumably some Javascript library (Angular, etc). Anyway, hope this helps someone or if I'm wrong I hope I'm able to help out a developer there somehow. And now I want to reverse engineer an Electron app :) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting. Interesting that the AppStore version seems to have cause problems. This pops up with some frequency, so maybe there is really a permission gap when this version is installed.

The forum is user2user, we do not deal with log files. Beside this, we do not want to deal with log files, because they usually contain personal information (like note titles).

If you want EN to take a look, contact support.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for posting. Interesting that the AppStore version seems to have cause problems. This pops up with some frequency, so maybe there is really a permission gap when this version is installed.

The forum is user2user, we do not deal with log files. Beside this, we do not want to deal with log files, because they usually contain personal information (like note titles).

If you want EN to take a look, contact support.

Yeah I know about the support folks and I have contacted them. I just keep forgetting that not everyone is a developer in life! :) And good point about the personal info, thanks for the reminder! It's the lack of filter for us ADHDers that causes that for me. Anyway, onto my next adventure!

• Like 1