Lost Functionality: Unable to insert date/time in note title using the shortcodes

steve49589

Idea

Shift/Command/D works to add today's date in the body of the not, but we lost the functionality to add in the title of the note. Same with Shift/Option/Command/D for the time.

I use that every day as I create a note based on each day of the week. Update was pushed to me overnight, and it's the first thing I noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 replies to this idea

Bumping this request.

This is functionality they just took away. Most likely because they "think" nobody is using it. I use it literally every day, multiple times a day.

This is one of the reasons I'm still on legacy.

Bring this back!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/23/2020 at 3:34 AM, steve49589 said:

Unable to insert date/time in note title using the shortcodes

Personally, I use a script to format the date/time and paste where-ever
My scripting tools are Applescript and Keyboard Maestro

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I use a script to format the date/time and paste where-ever
My scripting tools are Applescript and Keyboard Maestro

I'm not a coder, plus your suggestion to pay $36 for Maestro just to get the shortcuts that already worked in Legacy does not work for me at all.

All over this forum I'm seeing reasonable people bringing up very reasonable issues with the new version of Evernote. To me, it looks like the staff at Evernote could not give a da**.

• Thanks 1
Just now, DTLow said:

Is there a reason you're not still the Legacy product?
Installation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I'ver reverted to legacy, but the iPhone version updated automatically and that's a big issue since you can not revert back and they seem to ignore pleas to release the Legacy App as a second version on the App Store.

I've also experienced notes and photos just completely disappearing when added from my iPhone.

I'm shopping for a different app now since they just don't seem to get it.

• Thanks 1

They did bring this feature back - sort of - at some point.

Previously when using Shift/Command/D or Shift/Option/Command/D, Evernote would add a space after the date or time. They added the ability to add the date and time into the note's title, but nowhere does it add the space after the date or time.

These are the little things that should have been caught when they went to fix it, but no.

Still disappointed and still running Legacy.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If they bring the space now, another user will claim he just wants the date and time, and no "unwanted" spaces added.

It is the same with starting with the cursor in the title or in the note body - there are titlers and there are typers. No way to satisfy everybody.

Anyhow, you can see by the huge time span between December 2020 and now without any other posts that we are not discussing the hottest topic in town here.

You're right. It's not a hot topic. It's just functionality that was there - and is there - in Legacy that some of us became dependent on. They just tossed it out and changed it for no reason. Just like they did with the search functionality. Screwed that up too... 

• Thanks 1

Whether something is a hot topic DOES NOT translate to its importance This kind of inference is really insulting to long-time Evernote users like me (more than 10 years).

Case in point, I didn't participate in the countless complaints about what is "broken" in the new Evernote because what Evernote did and this forum just depresses me, eg. giving me "Tasks" functionality that I really need but taking away many productivity functionalities that I've enjoyed over the years.

Don't take things away, period.

If Evernote wants to take something away, give users an option in Preferences to put it back, this is BASIC CODING DECENCY.

What's worse is, on Evernote forums, there seems to be an army of "brand ambassadors" or "apologists" who keep making excuses for Evernote instead of having more empathy towards those who are effected. Enough of this.

@steve49589 Don't be discouraged, there are many others like you who are in the same boat, despite unhelpful comments that you may have received.

4 hours ago, Evernoteren said:

Whether something is a hot topic DOES NOT translate to its importance This kind of inference is really insulting to long-time Evernote users like me (more than 10 years).

Case in point, I didn't participate in the countless complaints about what is "broken" in the new Evernote because what Evernote did and this forum just depresses me, eg. giving me "Tasks" functionality that I really need but taking away many productivity functionalities that I've enjoyed over the years.

Don't take things away, period.

If Evernote wants to take something away, give users an option in Preferences to put it back, this is BASIC CODING DECENCY.

What's worse is, on Evernote forums, there seems to be an army of "brand ambassadors" or "apologists" who keep making excuses for Evernote instead of having more empathy towards those who are effected. Enough of this.

@steve49589 Don't be discouraged, there are many others like you who are in the same boat, despite unhelpful comments that you may have received.

As you are obviously not aware, the functionality to add dates and times to the note title using the keyboard shortcuts was returned 2 or 3 versions ago.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

A lot of functionality has returned with the releases, as this one. Then there is legacy, either for use cases that still require it, or just for the different look & feel. And there are new functions unseen in legacy (not just tasks).

There is no birth right that any software will remain unchanged forever, just adding functions (and bloating things). Access to one’s notes was and is assured.

IMHO after more than a year it is time to come to terms with v10. Everybody can see where it stands and where it goes: Accept it & continue, dislike it & decide to stay or leave.