Cannot select more than 50 notes

cheesybrit

Idea

New Mac version gives error "You cannot select more than 50 notes". Previous versions allowed me to select all of my 1700+ notes. 

Any ideas? Is this a new feature? Can it be overriden?

v 10.1.7 build 458354 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26

Premium user

• Like 4

62 replies to this idea

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  New version,  limited features;  expected to increase later,  but meantime the Legacy version will give you the usual access,  v10 is limited to 50.

Ouch. That's a problem. I didn't see any indication that the new version had limited features. I want the full-fat Evernote that I have been paying for since 2008 :D 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, andreasbisiach said:

In V10 is no longer possible to select more then 50 Notes.

Can this be changed/fixed? It seems like a weird limitation

We're told it's a temporary restrictriction

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

If you can't select more than 50 notes, how can you back up your entire database of notes to a .enex file?

The 50 note limit doesn't apply when exporting notebooks1125690654_ScreenShot2020-11-09at4_33_52PM.png.f0e84c370496c1aec7bb059b9a0c4982.png

Personally, I'm using the Evernote Legacy product   
- no limit on note selection    
- export format option for html and enex   

Warning: Large .enex files can cause import problems

Warning: Export format does not include all metadata
                 (no notebook info; no note-id)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The 50 note limit doesn't apply when exporting notebooks

Good to know - Thanks!1125690654_ScreenShot2020-11-09at4_33_52PM.png.f0e84c370496c1aec7bb059b9a0c4982.png

>Ditto

>That's dumb! Does it include images and other media?

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

That's dumb! Does it include images and other media?

Yes    
In .enex format, images and other media are encoded within the file     
In  .html format, images and other media are exported in native format (.jpg, .pdf,  etc.)

• Like 1

Bump +1

Just wanted to relabel a bunch of notes I had searched for and could not. My 10 minutes of trying 10.4.x are over, back to legacy again and waiting for a working, fully featured EN 10.x... :(

On 11/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, DTLow said:

The 50 note limit doesn't apply when exporting notebooks1125690654_ScreenShot2020-11-09at4_33_52PM.png.f0e84c370496c1aec7bb059b9a0c4982.png

I just came back to the thread. My reason for exporting multiple notes is to back up all of my notes (and hopefully, the structure - stacks, tag hierarchies). Unfortunately, you apparently can't export all notebooks - you can only do it one at a time, and stacks not at all - unless I am missing git. I have about 75 notebooks in multiple stacks.

As a long time software architect and developer, I prefer not to trust my notes only to Evernote (or any other cloud service, for that matter), since a bug in their server could just wipe out all my notes. Ditto if they go out of business suddenly.

So, a separate backup is best. They may be not what to support this because it facilitates moving to other vendors. And yet, the lack of this feature is the only reason I have been considering a different vendor!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

I have about 75 notebooks in multiple stacks.

Hi.  Various online services can export notes and notebooks to various formats for backup purposes - see https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-backup-evernote-to-google-drive/ for more on that. 

There is no practical way yet (AFAIK) to multi-select and export from notebooks in any client... yet.  

It is possible to export notes by individual notebook in the desktop versions - select "export Notebook" by right-clicking the notebook name from the notebooks page. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

Unfortunately, you apparently can't export all notebooks - you can only do it one at a time, and stacks not at all - unless I am missing git. I have about 75 notebooks in multiple stacks.

Confirmed; one notebook at a time     
Personally, I use an applescript on my Mac which cycles through stacks/notebooks   
Again, this is only supported by the Evernote Legacy product

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Mesoman said:

Unfortunately, you apparently can't export all notebooks - you can only do it one at a time, and stacks not at all - unless I am missing git. I have about 75 notebooks in multiple stacks.

As a long time software architect and developer, I prefer ...

You are aware that a backup is only to be trusted when you have successfully performed a restore ?

Because if you try a restore, you see that the note - notebook - relation was not saved. This means when you export more than one notebook at a time, you end up with your notes on a heap, lacking the notebook information.

So exporting notebook by notebook makes sense, best name the export file after the notebook it contains to keep track.

Of course it is not a practical way to export 75 notebooks by manually selecting one after the other and send them to a file. Currently the legacy client will allow to perform this by scripting. V10 doesn’t (yet ?) allow scripting.

So you either run legacy with an export script, like @DTLow is describing, or you reduce massively the number of notebooks used. You could probably do with less than 10, replacing most of the notebook assignment by using tags, with the notes in a large notebook. Tags will export and be restored.

P.S. You can edit the config.json file of you EN installation to rise the upper note selection limit. Just be aware that this change will reset with a v10 update, so you need to do it again after every update.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are aware that a backup is only to be trusted when you have successfully performed a restore ?

Yes, I am aware - I'm a software developer.  It is decades of experience with servers that has me wanting my own copy of everything. Enex is XML and not hard to parse, if things got to a really bad state - such as Evernote going under.

On legacy, I export by simply selecting "all notes", clicking on one, and the CMD-A on the Mac keyboard, and then do an "Export note." That exports all notes trivially.

Of course, if Evernote were serious, they'd provide flexible, sensible export options, or even just local backup options. 

".S. You can edit the config.json file of you EN installation to rise the upper note selection limit. Just be aware that this change will reset with a v10 update, so you need to do it again after every update."

Interesting.There is no config.json on my mac, and I have both versions installed. I wonder if they stuffed it into something els eon the Mac.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed; one notebook at a time     
Personally, I use an applescript on my Mac which cycles through stacks/notebooks   
Again, this is only supported by the Evernote Legacy product

Hi - tks. See my response just above. I export them all at once, no script needed. But if they support AppleScript on the new one, your suggestion would be a decent work-around. Ultimately, this is all a workaround the Evernote not providing the ability to just say "backup to a local file."

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Mesoman said:

On legacy, I export by simply selecting "all notes", clicking on one, and the CMD-A on the Mac keyboard, and then do an "Export note." That exports all notes trivially.

This loses the notebook assignment   

• Level 5

Backing up should be done by notebook. The information in which notebook a note is located is lost on export. You end up with a heap of notes instead of an orderly structure.

A complete notebook can be exported from v10, independent from the number of notes. Choose a file name for the export file that tells about the notebook.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, NicoSwitzerland said:

I still have this limit

On 5/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, PinkElephant said:

A complete notebook can be exported from v10, independent from the number of notes.

If you're exporting for backup - do it by notebook,  not selected individual notes. If for other reasons - move notes into one notebook 50 at a time and then backup the notebook...

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 8:50 AM, PinkElephant said:

They currently keep it in place to avoid a possible runaway action between device and server.

(Then code a better way to detect possible runaway actions between device and server when actions with greater than 50 notes are selected. And when it does cancel and put up a nice message ... sorry, you selected too many items, try again with half as many.

• Level 5

In fact I am running with a limit of 500 - it can be altered if you know how to do it. I have no issues with the raised limit. So I think it is more a precaution than a real life problem. 

But I doubt most users will even notice - where is the use case to permanently select more than a handful of notes at a time ? And if you just use it on occasion, it is no drama to act in 2 or 3 loops of 50 each.

To me this discussion looks a lot like insisting out of principle, not because there is a reason.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

But I doubt most users will even notice - where is the use case to permanently select more than a handful of notes at a time ? And if you just use it on occasion, it is no drama to act in 2 or 3 loops of 50 each.

To me this discussion looks a lot like insisting out of principle, not because there is a reason.

Mine is still at 50 notes. 

Real-world use: to be able to create a table of contents note for a larger notebook. For instance, I have a notebook with 700+ notes of books I want to read. I created a TOC with links to each one to access easily. You can only do it in blocks of 50 which isn't the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination but would be great to be able to do. 

• Level 5

You can change it to say 500. I did not succeed in raising it above 1.000 - there seems to be another limiting factor. But 500 is not really an issue, and as I already said, it runs smoothly on my MacBook Pro.

The only operation that runs surprisingly slow on v10 is moving a note to another notebook. There with 500 you can take a coffee break while the machine is munching on one note after the other. Tagging in comparison is fast, maybe even faster than legacy.

• Level 5

The key is to modify a .json config file. This description works on a Mac - it should work in a similar way on Windows as well. The file is located in this path - it is the /Evernote folder which is created when installing v10:

/users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Evernote/config.json

The limit can be raised to 500 or more. It will run longer, but requires fewer actions. With 1.000 or close to it it stopped working, so there may be another limit.
  1. Quit Evernote 10 
  2. Open Finder
  3. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  4. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  5. Locate the folder titled Evernote and open it
  6. Save a copy of the config.json file with an addition like .OLD as a safety copy.
  7. Open the config.json file in a text editor
  8. The "qa" section must be changed to this. If there is no QA section, add this code before the end of the config.json file, inside of the last bracket:
"qa": {
"multiSelectionLimit": 500
}

9. Set the number of notes you wish to allow.  There is a limit of about 1,000 maximum so there's no benefit in going for a larger number.  I have it set at 500.
10. Save the amended file and restart Evernote 10.

To speed things up you can go offline before doing operations on a lot of notes. Remember after going back online it needs time to sync all changes with the server. Don’t use EN while it is still syncing, if possible.

It is possible that after an update the selection is set back to 50 and the config file needs to be changed again. In some updates it was resetted, in others not. If the selection of 50+ stops, you know you need to modify the settings file again.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The key is to modify a .json config file. This description works on a Mac - it should work in a similar way on Windows as well. The file is located in this path - it is the /Evernote folder which is created when installing v10:

The limit can be raised to 500 or more. It will run longer, but requires fewer actions. With 1.000 or close to it it stopped working, so there may be another limit.
  1. Quit Evernote 10 
  2. Open Finder
  6. Save a copy of the config.json file with an addition like .OLD as a safety copy.
  8. The "qa" section must be changed to this. If there is no QA section, add this code before the end of the config.json file, inside of the last bracket:
}

9. Set the number of notes you wish to allow.  There is a limit of about 1,000 maximum so there's no benefit in going for a larger number.  I have it set at 500.

To speed things up you can go offline before doing operations on a lot of notes. Remember after going back online it needs time to sync all changes with the server. Don’t use EN while it is still syncing, if possible.

It is possible that after an update the selection is set back to 50 and the config file needs to be changed again. In some updates it was resetted, in others not. If the selection of 50+ stops, you know you need to modify the settings file again.

Thanks for the info but not workable for an average user. I need to be able to works with clients who can do this. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Depends on your clients …

It is nothing more than copy and paste a short text into a text file, at the right position. But of course, if a user is afraid of touching a system it is maybe better not to try. I am not sure about how specific the rest of this file really is. Case it is the same it could be an alternative to simply copy & paste the entire file into the EN folder.

But I don’t know, not my field of experience.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:48 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  New version,  limited features;  expected to increase later,  but meantime the Legacy version will give you the usual access,  v10 is limited to 50.

It's now two years later. How much longer might we be waiting for this legacy feature to reappear?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, PinkElephant said:

In fact I am running with a limit of 500 - it can be altered if you know how to do it. I have no issues with the raised limit. So I think it is more a precaution than a real life problem. 

I routinely select several hundred notes at a time in Legacy.

Example: I download several hundred documents and import them to Evernote and want to give them all a particular tag.

Example: I recognize a feature in my existing notes that deserves tagging, so that I can more easily locate those notes in the future. I find several hundred notes that share this feature through a combination of searching on tags, searching on text, and manual winnowing. Then I select those several hundred notes and tag them.

Doing this tagging just 50 notes at a time would be excruciatingly slow.

Thank you @PinkElephant for the hack that has allowed me to raise the selection limit to 1000 notes. This was one of the key legacy features that was preventing me from moving off of Legacy. I will now try v10 again.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Yes, I think it still works as described. The trouble is that it is frequently overwritten by a new release. And then it needs to be changed again. So personally I don’t raise it always any more - I just raise it from time to time when I really need a selection of more than 50 notes. Often it is OK to run it in groups of 50 or less.

However I think EN should lift or even remove this weird limitation.

• Like 2

@PinkElephant Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. I tried doing this hack but it looks like Evernote reverts the "qa" section on startup, meaning I can only select 50 notes. I can't lock the file since Evernote needs to make changes to it.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

• Evernote Expert

I tweaked the multiselectionlimit in config.json to 500 and it is never overwritten.  It has remained at 500 since the very earliest days of v10. I seem to recall that setting it to 1000 was more than the maximum allowed.  I don't recall but I think I found 900 worked.  But to be honest I never run foul of even a limit of 50 so 500 is far more than I need.

• Like 1

I found out what my issue was, if this helps someone else:

I was one pair of closing brackets too short.

Make sure not to overwrite the final "}" in the config.json!

Overall mine looks like this:

{
  "dev": {
    "mainUrl": "http://localhost:3003",
    "isFleEnabled": true,
    "ceVersion": "",
    "isOfflineSearchEnabled": null,
    "isNapLoginEnabled": null,
    "tracingEnabled": false,
    "checkForLocalNotebooks": null,
    "isNetLogEnabled": null,
    "conduitWatcherCacheEnabled": true
  },
  "general": {
    "defaultServiceHost": "https://www.evernote.com",
    "forceUpdateOnStart": true,
    "popupNoteWindowLimit": 20,
    "isSentryEnabled": true
  },
  }
}

Got it working now, THANKS SO MUCH!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip, @PinkElephant! This allowed me to select and export all of my ~2k notes at once - works like a charm.

In case it doesn't work for someone else reading this - make sure you quit Evernote completely before/after making the change. At first I didn't realize Evernote was still running in the background even after I closed all the windows, then I noticed the tray icon. Quitting it via tray made the config tweak work.

• Like 1

To resurrect a little bit of an old thread here - I just tested to see if I could export everything from Evernote in an .enex file, and it worked.  Her the instructions on modifying the config.json file, I set it to 25000, as I have over 24,000 notes. This is with the latest version of Evernote, not the legacy version. I then clicked on one note (this is on a Mac), did a  Cmd-A to select all, and lo and behold all 24,000+ notes were selected! On My M2 MacBook Pro it took less than 20 minutes or so to export the file. 

I am testing import into Apple Notes and Microsoft OneNote next. Some prelim results on both look good, although it does not appear Apple Notes honors the noteboo/notes hierarchy I had in Evernote.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

it does not appear Apple Notes honors the noteboo/notes hierarchy I had in Evernote.

ENEX files don't contain any notebook metadata, hence the usual suggestion to download notebooks to separate ENEX files so that information can be retained.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can export any notebook, independent of its size. The note selection limit only applies to an individual selection of notes. The limit stands at 100 these days.

No you are wrong - I just exported over 24000 individual selected notes by modifying the config.json file. It worked perfectly importing them int both Apple Notes and OneNote.

1 hour ago, Don0819 said:

I just exported over 24000 individual selected notes by modifying the config.json file.

I'm exporting about 2,500 now just for kicks to see how long it would take. (It's at 7% after about 5 minutes.) Fortunately they added a progress bar back in the 3rd quarter of 2022 else you'd never know when it was going to finish.

• Level 5

If you go to the engine room, you can. I have proposed this as a workaround myself.

But for a normal user, it‘s 100 individually selected now by default.

And your export is lacking all notebook information, so you may have exported a pile of them, but you only get them imported as a pile as well, without the information, which note belongs into which notebook. You can work around this by tags, but again tagging everything in a notebook makes at least as much work, than exporting by each notebook individually.

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

And your export is lacking all notebook information

Actually also not true. It's missing notebook information, which is important, but that's true of any export unless you do it yourself notebook by notebook. It still has created/updated date, author, reminder, tags, tasks, location, and source URL. Just like any export.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:56 AM, affectski said:

Thanks for the tip, @PinkElephant! This allowed me to select and export all of my ~2k notes at once - works like a charm.

In case it doesn't work for someone else reading this - make sure you quit Evernote completely before/after making the change. At first I didn't realize Evernote was still running in the background even after I closed all the windows, then I noticed the tray icon. Quitting it via tray made the config tweak work.

As far as I can tell this isn't working any more; Win 10, Evernote 10.63.3. I've had it set to handle 500 notes for a long time and checked that it is still set to 500 in the json file. However, Evernote refuses to select more than 100 notes.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, PinkElephant said:

}

This worked on a Windows 10 PC

Replaced:
 "qa": {}

with

"qa": {"multiSelectionLimit": 500}

File was located at
"C:\Users\Clay\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\boron-config-template.json"

Update then restart Evernote. If it doesn't "take" make sure evernote has completely shut down (might need to restart computer or kill the Evernote process)

On 5/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, PinkElephant said:

1. Quit Evernote 10 
  2. Open Finder
}

This workaround used to work for me, but no longer. Now, in version 10.78.2 for Mac, even if I have multiSelectionLimit set to 500 in my config.json file, when I try to select more than 100 notes, I get an error message: "You cannot select more than 100 notes."

Since my workflow requires me to occasionally go over large sets of notes and retag them, this, along with the impending termination of Legacy, may be the constraint that finally forces me off of Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't know why we still have the limit to be honest.  I'd suggest you raise this with Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - to see if they can raise the number to a useful level.  Until then I use a temporary tag to get around the limit.

1. Search for 100+ notes,  tag as required
  2. Repeat search using -tag:<name>,  process next 100
  3. Repeat as necessary...
  • Like 1
On 3/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, oxuson said:

This workaround used to work for me, but no longer. Now, in version 10.78.2 for Mac, even if I have multiSelectionLimit set to 500 in my config.json file, when I try to select more than 100 notes, I get an error message: "You cannot select more than 100 notes."

Since my workflow requires me to occasionally go over large sets of notes and retag them, this, along with the impending termination of Legacy, may be the constraint that finally forces me off of Evernote.

I have the same problem. 😞 Sometimes I want to change tags on hundreds, sometimes thousands of notes. I believe they now change notes remotely as primary try and that costs a lot of time. I read somewhere someones suggestion to go offline with Evernote, and that changing lots of tags is much faster then en syncs later. I also read somewhere they are going to change the way metadata like tags will sync, thus supporting lots of changes in ONE call instead of a zillion seperate API calls to the back-end. I long for the speed of Legacy for a proper GTD or TSW workflow with lots of data/notes in projects. Earlier you could edit the max amount in config.json. I always changed that to 5000. It worked better than changing in batches of (then) 50 or (now) 100. I hope someone finds that setting back......

On 3/17/2024 at 12:18 PM, gazumped said:

Until then I use a temporary tag

I do the same, but it is f******* slow... I want Evernote as a proper and fast second brain to use all day with my ADHD combined with my COO job handling tens of projects with LOADS of data and subs every day with 30+ people all day....

• Level 5
1 minute ago, MvdH said:

I do the same, but it is f******* slow... I want Evernote as a proper and fast second brain to use all day with my ADHD combined with my COO job handling tens of projects with LOADS of data and subs every day with 30+ people all day....

What I sometimes do before initiate multi note operations: Take the client offline. I use an app TripMode on the Mac that does this job very easily by toggling a switch for the app.

The operations run significantly faster without syncing. The syncing happens when I restore connectivity.