Provide ability to set Default Font

Mr.P

Idea

56 replies to this idea

This has bothered me for a while and I (sort of) found a solution.  

In your Note, set the font how you like it and click the drop down next to "Normal Text".  Select "Update 'Normal text' to match".  This will make the set the default font for that page.  From what I can tell, the update only applies to that page.

Hopefully this helps a little.

image.png.25048eee9dd51a099296cedac59024ef.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hello all,

This has been discussed before in regard to earlier versions, but I can't find anything on 10.0 and above. Any help is much appreciated!

When I go to "preferences," the only option I am given is "Save Data at Log Out." There is no way for me to select a default note size. Also, ever since the "upgrade" (really a downgrade), all my notes have been transformed into 16-point font (they'd previously been 11- or 12-point). It seems I am now obligated to manually change the font of previously existing notes 😑

Finally, even when I "select all" (particularly when using a table) to try desperately to force Evernote NOT to use 16-point font, the font nonetheless reverts to 16-point font whenever I create a new row or column, or when I delete content from an existing column where 12-point font was used. Endlessly frustrating…

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Glad to see the ability to change default font size is still being responded to by online support as a "requested feature"....two years later with no sign of implementation forthcoming. 

This is a huge problem and I am trying to figure out a way to communicate this best to Evernote's support team. Fonts no longer match between iOS and the Mac app. Literally the 6 choices on the iOS app are not options on the Mac app, so when you're using the iOS app your notes look ridiculous. You have two different fonts on lists. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, paon said:

There is no way for me to select a default note size.

You are correct that the stripped-down v10 does not include any preferences...yet.  They will come back.  Meanwhile (apart from iOS) there's the Legacy version.

• Like 1

I'm trying to change the default font (type, size...) for all new notebook. This should be a pretty core functionality but I can't find it.
Moreover, I try to select the whole notebook and change it to the type of font I want but as soon as I change the line, the font goes back to the default one.
The app doesn't even have a preferences menu (it only shows the option to "save data at log out). I can't even find an "update app" option.
Anybody knows if this is just a (huge) bug in the new desktop app? (I'm using 10.3.7).

Thanks!

• Level 5

All fonts that are installed on devices are bound to this very Computer. A Windows computer comes with a font license for Windows fonts, a Mac with Mac fonts, etc. Legaly if you want to use a font from your PC on your Mac, you have to buy it. Nobody does, but a company like EN can’t simply steal the fonts from one computer and deliver it to all the  others, just because a user picked it.

If you want to show a note looking the same on all devices, the only way is to install the fonts right into the app. EN has done this, the Platform neutral feature was high on the list of items requested here in this forum.

Now the app does come with a (small) set of preinstalled fonts. The selection is not large, just enough to translate the big font families into an „EN“ font. Be it Arial, Calibri, Helvetica or San Franisco, in EN all will show as „San Serif“. It is now platform neutral, looks the same on all devices.

In other words, it is not a bug, it is a feature.

If you need font control, use a word processor or page layout program, and store the document as attachment in a note.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

All fonts that are installed on devices are bound to this very Computer. A Windows computer comes with a font license for Windows fonts, a Mac with Mac fonts, etc. Legaly if you want to use a font from your PC on your Mac, you have to buy it. Nobody does, but a company like EN can’t simply steal the fonts from one computer and deliver it to all the  others, just because a user picked it.

If you want to show a note looking the same on all devices, the only way is to install the fonts right into the app. EN has done this, the Platform neutral feature was high on the list of items requested here in this forum.

Now the app does come with a (small) set of preinstalled fonts. The selection is not large, just enough to translate the big font families into an „EN“ font. Be it Arial, Calibri, Helvetica or San Franisco, in EN all will show as „San Serif“. It is now platform neutral, looks the same on all devices.

In other words, it is not a bug, it is a feature.

If you need font control, use a word processor or page layout program, and store the document as attachment in a note.

I just want to change the default font size from 16 to 18. Doesn't seem like a crazy feature. ;)

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Release notes mention that preferences will follow in due course,  but meantime there is (AFAIK) no flexibility in font choices.  What you see is what you get.

Crazy to release a version like this (which is clearly a beta) without a proper warning. 

This is really unbelievable. Losing control over fonts, not just for new notes but for all of my existing notes, is really tragic. I hope there is a plan to rectify this soon, otherwise there's no reason to continue using this.

• Like 1

I am facing the problem as stated by others too. The new version of Evernote doesn't have default fonts feature. My notes in older version of Evernote were in different fonts and size, now I would have to manually change them, that too with very limited options at my hand. I request everyone team to kindly look into this matter and resolve this issue as soon as possible. It would end up may users like me give up Evernote eventually, I apprehend.

Please do the needful.

i am so frustrated with this, too! Where is the UX/UI team? don't they understand the very basic thing about note taking is for a long body of text it HAS to be serif!! Have you ever read an entire book in Sans Serif?? Also, font 16 which is the default one is TOO BIG, while 14 is TOO SMALL, i need 15!! I can't believe they keep updating without compromising this smallest and basic detail. 

I am also incredibly frustrated by this and all app developers who think that adding their own cute fonts makes the app unique, it sucks and is not functioning. Not to mention the cut and paste is consistently frustrated by formatting of source materials of external apps.

• Level 5

IMHO the new editor is quite a step forward, and I don’t need a basket full of fonts to take a note. If I want fonts and font control, I use a real DTP program or at least a good word processor.

But if you want to stick to old habits, here you go:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Warning: Nobody knows for how long legacy will continue to work.

• Like 1

I understand that Evernote thinks it's super important to limit the fonts, because apparently everyone is syncing and sharing notes with all kinds of other people, and cross-platform unity has been requested. Fine. 

But isn't there a way to allow that to be the default behavior, but also build in a secret power-user setting to allow people to, you know, pick their own fonts? This is a major issue for me, so much so that after years of paying for Evernote, today I downloaded some alternatives to play around with (Keep It looks like it works with my workflow)

The issue I'm having with the new Evernote is that the new 16pt default text size is too small for me to read. Only workaround is to magnify the window view which does make the fonts larger on screen, but because its magnified it also makes most of my notes run off the right side of the window and I have to scroll horizontally to see the rest of the note. (I mostly use tables to organize notes)

Please bring back the feature for default text size! I would think text size is fundamental. If the letters are too small and its hard to read the note....what's the point of using the software? 

Fundamentally I'm using it to read and review... aren't I?

The issue I'm having with the new Evernote is that the new 16pt default text size is too small for me to read. Only workaround is to magnify the window view which does make the fonts larger on screen, but because its magnified it also makes most of my notes run off the right side of the window and I have to scroll horizontally to see the rest of the note. (I mostly use tables to organize notes)

Please bring back the feature for default text size! I would think text size is fundamental. If the letters are too small and its hard to read the note....what's the point of using the software? 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, danzip said:

The issue I'm having with the new Evernote is that the new 16pt default text size is too small for me to read.

That’s exactly what I was pointing out. It’s too small for many people and they won’t let you change it. How dumb is that!

Evernote is trying too hard for us, paying customers, to just go away. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, danzip said:

This is exactly why I reverted back to EN for Mac 7.14 after seeing what happened to my notes in v-10.

• Level 5*

Is everyone voting away at the top left here?  There are only 14 in favour of this so far..

As is their normal practice,  Evernote haven't said whether they're sticking with a limited choice of fonts and font sizes,  or will widen out their options when it fits their priorities.  Logic would suggest that this IS a fundamental option for any word-based application,  but with Evernote this year - who knows. 

On the bright side,  no-one has said this won't happen...  

• Like 1

I would just like to know what their plans are. Are they going to offer more fonts in the future and which fonts. There are a few that are pretty easy to copy between all programs. I don't need every font out in the wild but how about at a minimum the severely limited fonts available by GMail + Times New Roman.... or maybe the fonts that are available on this forum.

image.png.59888b848f957e928f6ad46ba844c122.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, SparksinTexas said:

I would just like to know what their plans are. Are they going to offer more fonts in the future and which fonts.

Evernote has been very clear about their plans for the list of fonts, however they only list generic descriptive names

• Like 1

Since we do not know when the EN developers will give us a more flexible and multi-device management of our fonts, I found the easiest way is to install EvernoteLegacy in addition to your version of EN. I close down EN and open EvernoteLegacy. I have not tried what happens when I leave my version of EN open.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Here I can create and fix all my font needs. Then close EvernoteLegacy and use the latest version (in my case 10.8.4) with all its improvements.

• Like 2

Yes, PinkElephant, our EN files are too valuable as to risk further conflicts. It is easy to close down EN, use the Legacy client, fix the font problems, and then open the files in EN again and have the pleasure of the perfection that we require.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Alex9999 said:

I"m dyslexic and this is wiping me out. I need large opendyslexic back please! 

Hi. We're mostly users here - better to raise this with Support to make your point.  Another reader has pointed out that if you can install the Legacy Desktop version somewhere and create new notes in that,  the fonts assigned in Legacy will carry over to v10. 

Haven't tried it,  but it might help until the company sort themselves out...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/20/2021 at 9:37 PM, AKMasdcasdcdsacsdcsdcasdca said:

Pleaseeeeeeeeee Help.

I CANT SEE THE TEXT IN THE CODE BLOCK. PLEASE HELP

Please repost your query in a new thread - this one is about fonts, not code blocks. And please specify your device, OS, Evernote version and explain in full detail what you're trying to do and what is happening.

2 minutes ago, possertive said:

So still no way to set default font?

Am here cause I wanted to increase default font size too.

The default is too small.

This can't be that hard to add.

The standard solution is well documented in other threads.

• Change the settings for the font styles (large header, medium header etc) to how you want them.
  • Save the note as a template.
  • Use the template for all new notes.

Same can be achieved by just saving the note and duplicating it or copying it if you prefer.

After all, the “standard solution” is merely a work-around. CS has confirmed to me that the development team is aware of the requests of so many, namely to give us back full font control, including setting of defaults. 
All kinds of fancy stuff is being implemented, instead of the basics. The few font styles offered is obviously not good enough for those whe need full formatting capacity. 
Install EverNote Legacy if you need full formatting. So far running the two EverNotes simultaneously works flawlessly. Although I prefer to run one or the other to avoid possible saving conflicts. 

• Level 5

25 votes in 10 months is not really boiling hot stuff. Reading through the thread it then splits in 2 main issues:

- Full font control 

- Control of default font size, mainly for medical reasons 

Personally I don’t support bloating the font selection again. The EN editor is lean & functional, and should stay that way.

About the default font size: This request being an accessibility issue has my sympathy and support.

• Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, Eric J said:

This has bothered me for a while and I (sort of) found a solution.  

In your Note, set the font how you like it and click the drop down next to "Normal Text".  Select "Update 'Normal text' to match".  This will make the set the default font for that page.  From what I can tell, the update only applies to that page.

Hopefully this helps a little.

image.png.25048eee9dd51a099296cedac59024ef.png

Found myself with the same font default size problem and Thanks Eric for the temporary solution.

So select a portion of text within the note, select the desired font size and the go to NORMAL TEXT and click UPDATE NORMAL TEXT TO MATCH.

As Eric J said it will work for the current note.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, javalife said:

support! i cannot believe all my notes lost their fonts. i need system fonts back.

I'm actually about to do the same.

EverNote is worse than Apple. The competitors give out Evernote's premium features for free, and much sooner. Instead, Evernote makes people wait for simple features such as setting a default Font Size. Ridiculous. Switching back to OneNote for now and looking into Bear as it supports Code Snippets and Markdown. 

I also use BoostNote to store CodeSnippets, if anyone is a programmer needing a clean app to store their Code Snippets, try BoostNote out! 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ditch-evernote/

• Level 5

The linked article mainly says

• The Free plan has limits 
    Wow - what a surprise …
  • Other apps have features EN does not have
    Fair enough - if you need these features, go and use another app. But don’t ask to convert EN into yet another piece of bloatware by adding every feature any other app may have. We have enough of these apps full of options (Hello, MS Word, listen …) nobody but YouTubers explaining them to us seem to use.
  • If you want to use EN power features, you need to invest effort
    True, if you want certain results, you need to work to achive them.

So, I feel intellectually underwhelmed and stay with EN. If you need to set fonts because you need to set fonts, and that is what you are searching in a note app, then go watching.

BTW, about your key argument with Apple Notes: Have not found a possibility on my iPad to select a font for Apple Notes. Not only no alternative default font, there is only a selection of normal text or monospaced. Compared to this EN is a fonts powerhouse …

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, vcvf said:

Glad to see the ability to change default font size is still being responded to by online support as a "requested feature"....two years later with no sign of implementation forthcoming. 

Sad that this still has to be mentioned,  but

1. This is not a request forum,  or a democracy.  Evernote notes new ideas and works towards implementing them if and when it makes business sense to do so.
  2. Evernote has 200M+ users (something like two thirds the population of the US) so any changes are planned out in detail and a long time in advance.
  3. Evernote doesn't pre-announce changes,  so it's "requested" until it's delivered - which might be in two weeks ot two years.  Nobody knows...
  4. If you really need a feature now,  and Evernote doesn't have what you need,  go find different software.  Things won't be delivered overnight (see 2 above).
  5. If you can use a work-around,  then by all means vote for this feature,  but please don't post "are we there yet" reminders - it won't help!
  • Like 1