Can I run both Evernote 10 and Legacy at the same time?

From what I'm reading, there are some huge issues with Evernote 10 that sounds like problems to me. I won't rehash them here, but I wanted to know...

Can I run v10 along with my current Windows (6.25.1) version? How does the new version save the note files locally? Is it different? Will the new one ***** up the legacy version?

My note file on my PC is 4.7GB...will that get duplicated or moved or altered in some way that I can't get back?

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Jeff510 said:

Can I run both Evernote 10 and Legacy at the same time?

Yes, you can install the Legacy version to run along with v10

>>How does the new version save the note files locally? Is it different?
     Will the new one ***** up the legacy version?
     will that get duplicated or moved or altered in some way that I can't get back?

v10 is a completely new local storage structure
Yes, total storage will be duplicated
No, legacy data should not be impacted - warning v10 data will not include Local Notebooks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Can someone confirm that as of 7/5/2021 Legacy and v10 can still be run on the same machine. In case it currently matters I am currently running only v10.

Unlike many others in the forums I'm actually happy overall with 10, as well as the latest mobile and tablet versions. However due a few of the v10 issues it would be quite handy to be able to run either on as needed.

Thank You

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ZZZ said:

Can someone confirm that as of 7/5/2021 Legacy and v10 can still be run on the same machine.

Confirmed - no problem running both products on a Mac

• Like 1

Win 10 - Every time I try starting Evernote Legacy, Evernote 10 starts up and goes haywire. It keeps flashing up a screen saying "Failed to import notes", over and over. The only way out seems to be to get the Legacy version closed. This has happened over the past month or so, including with the latest EN build just installed today. I haven't seen any other reports of this problem so assume there must be something odd about my setup. I have 35K notes, mostly in one Notebook, the default notebook set for the recently implemented Import Folders option. There is only one small text file currently in my Import Folder. 

Any ideas?

• Level 5

There seems to be a dependency in the install sequence. V10 should be installed first. My procedure would be:

Uninstall … both clients.

If you have any local notebooks, take care of them. When uninstalling make sure all data files are gone as well. The safest way to do it is by an uninstaller, like Revo Uninstaller.

Then restart your computer.

Install EN, v10 client first. Use the direct download from the EN website. Log in, let the    initial sync run. Test it a little to make sure it works.

Then install legacy from this source:

Open it the first time with v10 closed. Log in, sync, test it a little.

Now try both together.

Can‘t tell for sure it works with Windows. Did work on a Mac.
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There seems to be a dependency in the install sequence. V10 should be installed first. My procedure would be:

Uninstall … both clients.

If you have any local notebooks, take care of them. When uninstalling make sure all data files are gone as well. The safest way to do it is by an uninstaller, like Revo Uninstaller.

Then restart your computer.

Install EN, v10 client first. Use the direct download from the EN website. Log in, let the    initial sync run. Test it a little to make sure it works.

Then install legacy from this source:

Open it the first time with v10 closed. Log in, sync, test it a little.

Now try both together.

Can‘t tell for sure it works with Windows. Did work on a Mac.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's pretty drastic sounding and something I'd rather avoid having to do. I was mainly just using EN Legacy to be able to export the most recent few weeks of notes, typically a couple hundred or so. I've reset the limit in EN 10 from 50 to 500 and will try exporting from v10 next time - will see how that goes.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have a Professional (private) account running in the Legacy version (Windows desktop - Evernote 6.25)

Now my office subscribed to Evernote Teams and:

1. private and business accounts will run separately

2. in the office we will start Evernote Teams from scratch - no import from private accounts intended.

My question: can I run my private account in Evernote Legacy and have my Teams account installed in the new Evernote 10?

Thanks!

Thank you @PinkElephant

I currently have Legacy running. I understand that I have to uninstall Legacy first, then install Evernote 10 (teams account) and then reinstall Evernote legacy (private account).

I'll try it.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. I'd like to give v10 a try

I've already installed both version but I'm currently only using Legacy and don't want to mess my actual system.

Is this still possible to use Legacy alongside with the v10 without damaging Legacy notes and / or tag structure?

• Evernote Expert

Yes, the two versions will exist side-by-side on your computer.

The process is relatively simple even though a little fiddly...

1. Ensure you have a copy the installation programs for both versions.

2. Install v10
v10 usually hides access to the older versions of Evernote. If your current Legacy app appears to disappear then the easiest option is to go to step 3. You can mess around and find the original Legacy program and recreate the program shortcut but...

3. Reinstall Legacy

4. The keyboard shortcuts may clash so reset the shortcuts that you intend to use that apply to both versions in whichever version you wish. For example the screen clipper shortcut in both versions is Ctrl+Alt+S so they will clash. If your plan is to use Legacy as your primary application then change the keys in v10 and vice-versa.

• Evernote Expert

No, you don't need to uninstall Legacy. Just install V10 and then, if you can no longer find the Legacy version, just reinstall it.

If both are already installed and working without problem then fix the shortcuts and of you go.