How to go back to Legacy Version

Go to solution Solved by Lemayp,

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Installing the Version 10 product will overwrite an existing Evernote app
You could try renaming your 6.25 app to "Evernote Legacy"

So then how does it work when you reinstall 6.25? Or is there something special about the version 6.25 reinstalled from that link at the top of this post?

And what would I rename? All the directories? Just the .exe files?

I want to try out the new version, but I'm a little nervous about it. From this thread, it sounds like people are successfully running them in parallel, but I want to be able to keep using 6.25 as my primary version if I don't like the new one, as I'm doing now, and I'm nervous about messing things up, because I rely on Evernote for *everything*. What is the best way to go about doing that?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, justacat said:

What is the best way to go about doing that?

I upgraded to version 10, which as expected overwrote my legacy installation    
The local legacy database is not deleted

I then installed the official Legacy app from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote   
I'm satisfied using the Legacy product

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I upgraded to version 10, which as expected overwrote my legacy installation    
The local legacy database is not deleted

I then installed the official Legacy app from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Thanks. That's what I thought, I was just wondering if there was a more streamlined way (i.e., not having to reinstall the Legacy app).

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the "official Legacy app" and the version I'm using now, which is the last Windows app before v.10 was released (6.25.1)? I saw in an earlier post a reference to a green vs. gray icon and 6.25.1 vs. 6.25.2, but I'm wondering if there is any actual functional difference.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, justacat said:

I'm wondering if there is any actual functional difference.

Along with the icon change, the app is renamed to Evernote Legacy    
The app will not auto-upgrade

Version 10 unacceptable. After having run major corporate software product development groups for more than 30 years I thought I would explain why v10 sucks.

Many years ago someone had the bright idea to rewrite Evernote but had no idea what they were getting into. Typically this evolves from a very extensive product upgrade design but as the project keeps going over target dates and budgets, features keep getting cut. After years of work; millions are spent; and corporate users are upset, there seems no choice but to deliver something. Unfortunately, what left is much less than is what's already available. The old "putting lipstick on a pig" version is released with the idea it can be updated to catch up. Unfortunately, the "new" underlying foundation is so inadequate the resulting new version is almost always doomed to fail. This has happened hundreds of times to software product groups run by people who have little or no good experience with history and evolution of large scale software projects.

Norm @amazingword

• Like 2
On 2/16/2021 at 8:05 AM, NormP said:

This has happened hundreds of times to software product groups run by people who have little or no good experience with history and evolution of large scale software projects.

My experience tells me it is mostly because the decisions are made by people that don't use the product themselves, extensively that is.
On paper it looks ok, also benefits are nice... (low cost, some result, quick win) conclusion  -> In production, customer loves it.
Most large companies don't really interact with their customers, sure they have feedback sessions or community boards. But this is a nice feature, not a real priority.. 
"We know better than the customer" syndrome. This is why large companies get in trouble, they forget why the company was a success.

It's a natural lifecycle...
What CEO Ian Small needs? Somebody who is not afraid to say NO. Someone who challenge the CEO decisions... and is not afraid of the FIFO style of management (Fit In or F*ck Off). Don't know if Evernote is run this way, but some large companies are / did....

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I'm using Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra) and the Legacy version of Evernote downloaded from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote won't run on it. Is there a Legacy version that will work with Mac OS 10.12.6?

Couldn't say. You might be better asking in the Mac forums where there will be others with Mac experience :)

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There is only „the“ legacy version.

If your MacOS is too old to run it, this is the end of legacy for you.

Maybe you can find an older version that works for you, for example here:

https://www.oldapps.com/mac/

10.12.6 is from 2018 or so.. ..this can never be to old... Thats ridiculous for something like note taking... Even on 2000 software it should run... It is text and images, what justifies the latest os or frameworks... Please keep it simple, ev should work on any os since 2000... If not than, can not even write it down. 

10 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I'm using Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra) and the Legacy version of Evernote downloaded from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote won't run on it. Is there a Legacy version that will work with Mac OS 10.12.6?

I suggest you upgrade to a newer version of macOS if possible. Sierra has been completely unsupported with zero security patches for over a year and a half. In today's world, falling behind on security patches makes it so much more likely that you will become infected with malware or a virus.

4 hours ago, ArjenC said:

10.12.6 is from 2018 or so.. ..this can never be to old... Thats ridiculous for something like note taking... Even on 2000 software it should run... It is text and images, what justifies the latest os or frameworks... Please keep it simple, ev should work on any os since 2000... If not than, can not even write it down. 

It's nice when software stays compatible with older operating system versions, but unfortunately isn't always possible. Evernote utilizes the Electron framework, which itself is based on Chromium. Chromium just dropped support for macOS 10.10, so a future version of Electron will presumably also drop support for 10.10, and all apps that utilize Electron will have to do the same.

I'm not sure why they have dropped support for 10.12, but there could be other software components or APIs which they utilize which won't work on 10.12. Or, perhaps they've made the business decision to drop support for end-of-life Operating Systems (and 10.12 has been unsupported for quite some time, as I mentioned above).

@Paul A. I know how it works 😀. But it's ridiculous that you build you software for note taking (capturing text and files) on a framework that requires customers to update to one of the latest OS... or hardware for that matter... where will it stop? 
For games I can imagine that you need up to date hardware for rendering and calculations.
And I know Electron and learning every day more about it's capabilities... But in all honesty 🤔

The choice Evernote made for using Electron as it's foundation is purely a financial one, and that's understandable.
But I question myself if it is the best choice for Evernotes customers because of the level of needed resources (memory, cpu / gpu, ect) when using Electron.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I cannot move on from version 6.25 to the new (rewritten) version 10.   Just because some features, like email clipping are just not available anymore in version 10, and next we see a lot regressions.  Bug that did not exist in version 6.25 which appeared in version 10.  Logic, since this is a new development and it will take some more dot releases to get these fixed, but I would not push the community so hard to leave version 6.25,  so called legacy.

I have been looking to an alternative like Nimbus, just in case version 6.25 should stop working within one year from now.  But I still believe/hope that waiting a couple of new releases is worth it.

Has there been made a list of functional differences between Evernote and V10? Would be nice to see how many the differences are and then potentially watch if the company behind the software will make any efforts to bring functionality back.

• Level 5

Not to my knowledge. There have been lists when the whole v10 - trouble started in September last year, but I am not aware they were maintained over a longer period of time.

Probably most people who still run on legacy have one or a few very specific reasons that still don’t work with v10.

High on that list are probably import folders, scanner support, Apple script, audio, solid export options, reliable search, working on a large number of notes at a time, TOC, local notebooks and presentation mode. This is just from memory.

If I add missing features in iOS, there is the Apple Watch App and missing widgets.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, nanomatrix said:

My latest problem with Evernote's Legacy version is that it won't import more than 200 MBs at a time and my exb files are 600-800megs in size.

Go to the file hippo site and look for version 6.25.1.  This is the last actual pre V10 version, Windows anyway.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Go to the file hippo site and look for version 6.25.1.  This is the last actual pre V10 version, Windows anyway.

Evernote_6.25.1.9091 appears to be a worse option than the 6.25.2.9198  legacy version from Evernote's website since "The action exceeds the 25 MB limit." for this version.

All of which raises the question, "How do you reduce the size of a file if Evernote won't open it?"

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, nanomatrix said:

Evernote_6.25.1.9091 appears to be a worse option than the 6.25.2.9198  legacy version from Evernote's website since "The action exceeds the 25 MB limit." for this version.

All of which raises the question, "How do you reduce the size of a file if Evernote won't open it?"

As a premium subscriber you shouldn't have the 25MB limit for a single note.  I don't have the issue and am still using 6.25.1.  You could try using revo uninstaller to completely remove EN and then reinstall.

Well I got 6.25.1.9091 to say that it would accept 200 MB limit, but that's it. 

It's hard to support a product that tells you to reduce the size of one of it's files without giving you a way to do it.

Just found this thread. Very useful. I have just installed the legacy version macOS.

For me, the having to be connected at all times is a game changer - a very negative game changer. When I was traveling, at home with my poor or non-existent connection, and at other times, it just does not work. This is ridiculous.

Yes, I've been told, before you go offline, make sure EN is already open. Yeah, yeah.... that works until you have to restart the app or the computer. Then all of a sudden, if no internet, no EN. It's a dumb option for using a computer with plenty of storage space. Okay, do like MS Office 365 and ping once in awhile to verify I have an account, that's fine, but at least MS understands how to utilize non-connected computers.

I'm so frustrated by this, I'm likely going away from EN and I've been a paid premium user for many years. I got my whole office on EN, and have advocated for it for years. I've probably got over 100 people on it. But when I go, my office will go with me. I'm not trying to threaten, I'm trying to reason and find a solution. And don't even get me started on how useless the tech support is right now too. It's like they don't even know their own product....

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Think of the v10 client as a browser, and of the local data as a sort of cache. This pretty much explains what it can do, and what it doesn’t.

From my experience the offline notebooks in the iOS client is currently the more reliable, stable way to use EN offline. Or of course the gold standard, the desktop legacy client !

Yeah, well.... the iOS app has been sketchy for me also. It took me two months to get the offline notebooks to download. I'm not exaggerating. And then periodically, when I don't have an internet connection I get a black screen in the iOS app and nothing will load until I get a connection. At least one other person is having this issue also 

So, yeah, I'm getting tired of Evernote. If it's going to only work like a browser, I'll likely hang around until the legacy version no longer works. Sad, but for those of us that aren't privileged enough to have an always on connection, this is crazy....

This latest update is not ok. Its greatly putting stain on business. its riddled with bugs, features are no longer easily accessible making it longer and slower to get things done. It freezes up constantly. There are so many issues with it I cant submit that many support tickets. Just please rollback the recent rollout. I love you evernote for many years but our relationship maybe coming to an end. 💔

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Mike OPM said:

Just please rollback the recent rollout.

You can do just that. The legacy version is readily available

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike OPM said:

Just please rollback the recent rollout.

You didn't indicate version #s or platform/device   
I merged your post with an ongoing discussion    
The legacy product can be installed from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote (Mac/Windows)

So, can anyone say how long the "legacy" version is going to be able to be used? When do they stop supporting it or when does it break on my macOS? It's my only lifeline that is keeping me at EN for now....

• Level 5

Nobody knows, I don't think even EN knows.

What can happen is that Apple breaks it, with always tighter requirements for app security. Or EN withdraws it. In both cases I would expect several months of transition time before the plug is pulled.

ugh.... I guess I should download everything before that happens..... because the new version you can't even do that...yet...

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, rogw said:

I guess I should download everything

It's always wise to have data backups    
I have a weekly full export in html format, using the Legacy product on my Mac

The Version 10  product downloads data for a local offline database, and supports export in .enex format    
Entire notebooks can be exported

Im mainly having issues with the Android app rollout. The document/camera scan feature is the most important part of evernote for me but the newest version is riddled with bugs. THe camera freezes when trying to scan or continues to say scanning for document and never captures it. And at the rare moments it does work its extremely slow and laggy. The doscument scan feature use to be on the front page and easily/quickly accessible. Im using a galaxy s9.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's always wise to have data backups    
I have a weekly full export in html format, using the Legacy product on my Mac

The Legacy product downloads data for a local offline database, and supports export in .enex format    
Entire notebooks can be exported

What’s the advantages to the HTML vs ENEX format?

• Level 5

ENEX exports one big file, containing all the information of say a complete notebook. To open it, you need a program that can handle this information. Many note takers can do it, because everybody is eager to import files from EN users ...

HTML is an open format, mainly used for web sites. Here each note exports individually, the attachments are saved in folders, and can be opened with every web browser. But it is not as compact as an ENEX file.

Each export option has it's use.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, rogw said:

What’s the advantages to the HTML vs ENEX format?

As per @PinkElephant   "Each export option has it's use"
It's important that you know the uses of each

For backups, I use HTML export so I can directly access a note using a web browser app
This access does not require the Evernote app

I have no use for a backup in .ENEX format
I might use the export option if I was transferring data or switching to a different service

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm posting my complete displeasure here with v10.  If the development team, as directed the the CEO, wants to consolidate their code bases for efficiency, that's fine.  But you cannot do while breaking and removing all the features and functions YOU either could not get into schedule or decided no one was using.  I've been developing software a long, long time and I've never seen anything like this.. page after page of comments about how bad this is.  I do not care if the CEO believes he's dong the right thing.  He's missed the bar with many customers complaining about lost features and missing functions.  For instance, who thought it was a good idea NOT to keep the ability to relocate the Evernote Database?  I'm a paying customer almost since Evernote appeared and this v10 change are not acceptable.   And if you drop support for the legacy versions until v10+ is on par with 6.x, then customers are going to be up-in-arms. 

Some else said this earlier... so I'm quoting, "What CEO Ian Small needs? Somebody who is not afraid to say NO. Someone who challenge the CEO decisions."  This was a really, really bad one.

Agreed. And I don’t fee like I’m just a whiner. If v10 isn’t up to speed and they drop the legacy version, I’m probably gone. 

• Level 5

Hope you will not be gone - just using another software that suits you better.

v10 currently is good for 70 or 80% of my use cases - for the rest I rely on legacy, for the time being.

Well I love Evernote. But I have times when I am not connected to the internet. Then it won’t load. It’s gotten better on iOS but not perfect. In macOS it’s been horrible. That is just a show stopper. 

• Level 5

Offline use is one of the use cases for legacy I was thinking of as well.

Actually it is worse with v10 when on a changing connection (like in a train) than having no connection. This is because syncing can’t be influenced in v10 - it starts to do it when it catches a whim of internet, be it as bad and fragile as it comes.

On 3/21/2021 at 6:30 AM, skywalker said:

I'm posting my complete displeasure here with v10.  If the development team, as directed the the CEO, wants to consolidate their code bases for efficiency, that's fine.  But you cannot do while breaking and removing all the features and functions YOU either could not get into schedule or decided no one was using.  I've been developing software a long, long time and I've never seen anything like this.. page after page of comments about how bad this is.  I do not care if the CEO believes he's dong the right thing.  He's missed the bar with many customers complaining about lost features and missing functions.  For instance, who thought it was a good idea NOT to keep the ability to relocate the Evernote Database?  I'm a paying customer almost since Evernote appeared and this v10 change are not acceptable.   And if you drop support for the legacy versions until v10+ is on par with 6.x, then customers are going to be up-in-arms. 

Some else said this earlier... so I'm quoting, "What CEO Ian Small needs? Somebody who is not afraid to say NO. Someone who challenge the CEO decisions."  This was a really, really bad one.

I share your frustration.

My initial reaction was like yours -- totally unacceptable. But I've been posting words to that effect for months *before* v.10 came out...and yet I'm still here. The fact is, the legacy version does enough things right that the cost of transitioning to a new system (worst of all: the cost of the unknown unknowns of the new system) keep me locked in to Evernote. That isn't an Evernote problem, that's a systems problem!

I looked to these forums for hints about the plan to fix v10. And I found them -- little thanks to Evernote themselves, who were quite shy about disclosing what is apparently their v10 game plan: Roll "beta preview" quality apps (aka alpha tests) with some new (but hardly compelling) features into production, then start restoring missing features (i.e. get to beta) while slaying bugs (beta). Implied by all this: EN apps will always be perpetual beta, they'll never attain stable release status.

And that's OK. For $5/mo (I guess I'm grandfathered in to Premium?) I can get by with that.

The problem now is, progress on these (barely stated, implied, & perhaps even alleged!) goals is painfully slow.

It would help a great deal if @Ian Smallcould confirm that perpetual beta is the plan, and give us a roadmap for restoring missing features, and set some expectations about what missing features will be dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Call it agile software development. Core functionality is released initially, more is added after short development „sprints“, with a high frequency of releases. 

Part one of that (assumed) strategy ran on a sandbar of bugs, so the first cycles were more about bug fixes than feature enrichment.

The last releases brought some features, missing ones as well as new ones. The Home dashboard was a nice new option on desktop and web, table management a new feature for the mobile clients.

IMHO there is forward momentum now, better than the continuous stalemate we had before v10. When on desktop, nobody needs to complain - there was legacy before, there is legacy as an option now. The new iOS client is already better than the old one, as is the new web client. Only Android users go through some hard times, as did iOS users initially.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion - I don’t understand the underlying pessimism of many posts.

• Like 1

You make good points. The iOS version is better now and mostly fixed things. I’m having less problems on macOS. But still really buggy for the one app I use daily. 

• Level 5

For me it is still a mix of legacy and v10. But my use is shifting to more v10, less legacy, which is an effect of v10 getting better. IMHO it is more a lack of certain features in the desktop version as it is today than bugs that makes me returning to legacy.

Still a way to go on the desktop app - but why bother more than necessary ?

Of course. V. 10 is the future. I’ve always been an early adopter because it’s the only way forward. I’m not too bothered by changes. But it’s a mix for me as well. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I should have looked for this long time ago, and all this long I've been suffering with what Evernote calls Progress.
Thank you for sharing this thread.

How on earth they release a mess like v10?

They remove the sync button, and the damn thing doesn't sync, how does one force sync?

I used to advocate Evernote to all friends and family, now I curse every time I use it.