How to go back to Legacy Version

Go to solution Solved by Lemayp,

Hi there,

I made the mistake of updating my work laptop's (Windows) Evernote to version 10. I can't use it. 80 percent of my notes are command output and code, so not being able to set a default monospaced font like Consolas just makes it UNUSABLE. All my notes look horrible now.

Help! Please! I need to go back. Can't find a download of Version 6 anywhere.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 5

Great, thanks! That has worked.

I hope that being able to set a default font will be included in later versions of 10.  Is there somewhere I can log a feature suggestion, if it hasn't already been made? I would think it had, just looking at the number of people complaining about the lack of font selection in v10.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Steve Klinghoffer said:

I have that running version 10 and the legacy version of Evernote is not a good idea.  My version 10, for example, could not add notes while the legacy version was running.

@Steve Klinghoffer This is an unexpected behavior and should be raise toward Evernote.  I am using both versions in parallel since day 1 and I haven't experienced any problem to add notes from EN 10 while the legacy version is running.

3 hours ago, Steve Klinghoffer said:

I have that running version 10 and the legacy version of Evernote is not a good idea.  My version 10, for example, could not add notes while the legacy version was running.

That's odd, I am able to.  They use separate local resources. 

Although personally I use version 10 as beta testing and looking at my data, I don't trust it for new data because of the instant sync, which in my experience causes problems in pretty much all previous versions.

Thank you for providing the Legacy link. I use import folders for the three companies that I work for, and the update doesn't support this right now. I have had Evernote since 2009 and been on beta testing groups, etc. I am very disappointed with this update and can't believe they released it as is. If I wasn't so ingrained in this program, I would definitely stop using it.

• Like 9

wow v10 sucked.  that didn't take long.  6 minutes total time from upgrading the app, to realizing that it doesn't do what I want, to downgrading and deleting v10.  I'm back up and running now.

• Like 9

Yes, and on top of that it looks exactly like Tusk now. Is copying Tusk really the best they could come up with? They should have added a warning that this new version is not as good as the old one so people could abort before installing. I'm rolling back.

• Like 8

I deleted V10 because the changes make the tool unusable.

I downrev'd back to version 6 located on CNET. (I won't add a link, but go to CNET and search, you can find it)

• Like 4
On 10/22/2020 at 8:24 AM, Lemayp said:

@Steve Klinghoffer This is an unexpected behavior and should be raise toward Evernote.  I am using both versions in parallel since day 1 and I haven't experienced any problem to add notes from EN 10 while the legacy version is running.

Folks shouldn't work with both versions at the same time.  We don't know if v 6/7/10 have the same database structure.  What if one has more of fewer "columns" than the other?  You'd lose or gain information based on the version you use.

If you're a heavy user, downgrade to what you know,  until you know v10 (or 11) supports everything you've been doing.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, JoeM49 said:

Folks shouldn't work with both versions at the same time.  We don't know if v 6/7/10 have the same database structure.

It's a single database on the Evernote servers (master version)

Locally, there are two different database structures maintained on the device   
The v10 database is optional, and used for offline access

I see no problem using the two versions at the same time      
Avoid simultaneous edits the same note

• Like 1

I definitely prefer the old version. This new updates doesn't really work well for me. 

Is it okay if I continue using Evernote Legacy? I wonder if there will be any problem syncing...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 10/25/2020 at 9:15 PM, AngelQH said:

Is it okay if I continue using Evernote Legacy? I wonder if there will be any problem syncing...

No problem using a legacy version; syncing continues to work well

There will be a time in the future when the legacy version is no longer functional
Hopefully by then version 10 will be ready for use

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Hopefully by then version 10 will be ready for use

Finger crossed till then. But I just hope they will revert back to the old version. The old version is way user-friendlier..🙁

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, AngelQH said:

Finger crossed till then. But I just hope they will revert back to the old version. The old version is way user-friendlier..🙁

For reasons that CEO Ian Small has outlined in blog posts and interviews (e.g., here and here), they are not going back. They have built an entirely new code base to be used for all platforms (rather than maintaining separate ones for Windows, Mac, Web, etc.), and there is no reversion from that. What we can hope for is that features will be restored to the Windows program, performance will improve, and eventually new and better features will appear.

• Like 4

I'm glad there's a legacy version available. I've reverted back, and it feels like coming home from a war.

The new version had so much missing and changed the way I work so much I just couldn't tolerate it. No tabs, no paste as raw text, weird search, missing hotkeys... the list goes on.

Ping me when v10 reaches parity!

• Like 3
On 10/22/2020 at 8:39 PM, Don Dz said:

That's odd, I am able to.  They use separate local resources. 

Although personally I use version 10 as beta testing and looking at my data, I don't trust it for new data because of the instant sync, which in my experience causes problems in pretty much all previous versions.

So the database folders are not shared, but you will have two different directories with basically the same data? Also I wonder if it is possible to use the /DebugMenu switch in v10. I rely heavily on swiching this way as I have 40-50 different accounts.

I am not sure that I can recommend running the new version alongside the legacy version.

I tried it but the "instant sync" function in the new app appears to be unable to cope with my intermittent internet connection. As a result, I suspect that it has created corrupted notes (eg a new note from which I lost all recently added text that reverted to the initial blank "untitled note", which I deleted but which then wouldn't stay in the trash, however many times I tried to delete it). This appears to have caused the legacy version I had reinstalled to stop syncing all together.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the legacy app but the Windows uninstaller doesn't actually remove all related data, so I had to resort to a third-party uninstaller to make sure all remnants of Evernote and related data were removed, and then resync my thousands of notes. Take note, anyone who needs to do this.

I will not be reinstalling the new app alongside any time soon, even though sticking with the legacy app, with no support from Evernote, is going to become unsustainable sooner or later.

I do not like v10 either.  I've downgraded two machines after they decided to upgrade automatically.  v10 is great for grocery lists and small items but I think making it prettier was considered more than function.  But to me Evernote has been going down hill for some time.  We moved most everything to ClickUp in January and it's been great.  We were losing too much data and too many issues with "can you move focus from note so I can add notes" issues.

• Like 1

Hey, Evernote, where is my header when I print my notes !!!!!!??? Also, I can only export notes in .enex files ?  It's like it assumes anyone, anywhere, anytime has access to Evernote for anything. I paid for my subscription to work on my notes offline, put information together in one note and have it be readable. Not everyone is going 100% paperless or wants backups in evernote files.

Plus, now I can't touch my clips from webclipper because they're "html content". I could already do that with a screenshot of the page without paying for Evernote! Sure, there's the option to remove the formatting and make it editable. Have you seen what that looks like ? It's like going from a Word document to a Notepad .txt format.

How do I go back to the other version until you bring back what made Evernote THE  one-stop app for notes ? Or I want my money back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, C.F. said:

How do I go back to the other version until you bring back what made Evernote THE  one-stop app for notes ? Or I want my money back.

For the Legacy version, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, neverever said:

EN, WTF, how do I change SETTINGS for the local folder of my offline notes?  WTH, this is the worst version ever!!!  WHY WHY WHY!!!

You're posting in the discussion for the Legacy version
What "SETTINGS for the local folder" did you need to change

I went back to the legacy version as well. One upside in all this mess is that I've come to appreciate how great of a software product the old Evernote was. I just hope that they didn't fire most of their senior Windows and Mac developers and replaced them with mediocre Javascript/Typescript developers based on the assumption that a single code base + a bunch of can-do spirited, younger, and self-proclaimed full-stack developers, armed with Electron, would eventually build a better product that evolves a lot faster.

The problem with this line of thinking, which I believe might have been at least one of the contributing factors behind this botched up overhaul is that, Evernote is a mature freemium product with a lot of existing longtime paid customers, and not an open-source project. Inactivity is not cool, but at least it's far better than eagerly undermining their own product that used to work fine, and breaking or removing the features that earned them paid customers. At least they could have delayed the public release, as it looks like Evernote will remain in this beta-version state for the foreseeable future. Time will tell, but my guess is that it will go down in the history of software development as a cautionary tale showing how an ill-advised move driven by some higher-ups with no love for either the product or the tech behind it, combined with lack of due diligence can lead to a complete disaster.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I'd be seeking out the designers and architects and product managers, not the coders.  Stuff does tumble downhill.

I'm not sure why EN chose to update in a such a poor manner. The functionality is terrible. All of our carefully organized and color coded business notebooks are gone. Finding anything is a nightmare - if it even possible to do so.

Is there any way for a user to roll back to the previous version? This version is wholly unusable.

v10 is just terrible.... so bad that I'm going to explore other fast/simple note taking programs. 

BASIC things like double click to open it from the tray? Gone

No longer starts with Win10 automatically?  Gone.

The basic option to go tools-preferences->options?  Gone. 

I hope whoever is in charge at evernote is reading this... because the best thing you could do right now is an immediate rollback.  I see people are reverting and installing old versions... yeah, why should I have to waste my time chasing down older/better software and finding the "right" version to install.   The right software is the one that works out of the box without having to hunt for basic functions. 

• Like 3

It's good to know I'm not alone in my dislike of v10. I used it for about 15 minutes and decided it wasn't for me. I reverted back to the legacy version. Evernote, I can understand wanting to maintain a single codebase for all platforms. Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, do us all a favor and make sure it is at least as good as the previous versions before you release it into the wild. Your entire user base should not be a beta group. The new version clearly isn't ready for primetime.

I, too, am finding V10 unusable. I'm in the midst of archiving journal entries I've written over the years. To organize them, I type the Created date to the original date I wrote the entry. Worked great with the older version of Evernote by simply typing over the Created date with the correct one--but now... I have to click on Three Dots, Click Note Info, and have to use the clumsy date picker interface to scroll to the correct year, month, and day?

Evernote took a perfectly functional interface and made it useless to me. Thankfully there's the legacy option (for now).

On 10/30/2020 at 5:48 PM, C.F. said:

Hey, Evernote, where is my header when I print my notes !!!!!!??? Also, I can only export notes in .enex files ?  It's like it assumes anyone, anywhere, anytime has access to Evernote for anything. I paid for my subscription to work on my notes offline, put information together in one note and have it be readable. Not everyone is going 100% paperless or wants backups in evernote files.

Plus, now I can't touch my clips from webclipper because they're "html content". I could already do that with a screenshot of the page without paying for Evernote! Sure, there's the option to remove the formatting and make it editable. Have you seen what that looks like ? It's like going from a Word document to a Notepad .txt format.

#MeeToo moment

Feedback to Evernote - version 10 is terrible and as a long time user really really disappointed with this version which is the first time I'm saying this. Broke my Outlook plug-in which I use daily, extremely slow, and the note options on where the tags are, new title location, and the slowness of clipping in screenshots  is just plain bad. Thankfully the legacy version is still available - installed it and deleted the abomination of v10 off my machine and I'm back to happy land now. Please have better focus on user experience going forward as this new experience is just plain bad - don't know how to better describe it.

• Like 1

Thank you SO MUCH for providing this link - it's a true life saver! I gave the new version a fair test. I suffered for a week, trying to give it a fair shot and myself the chance to get used to it. But as many others have said, it is unusable. The keyboard shortcut to switch between notes is gone and so many sync conflicts!! I've relied heavily on evernote for years, so very thankful for the legacy version! 

My feedback to Evernote... 

I have used Evernote for many years now.  However, this new version has me very worried.  As many people in this forum have found, It significantly lacks in features and usability from the legacy version.  My worry is that the legacy version stops being maintained/available before key and fundamental features make it to the new version (which at the moment is a long way from being fit for purpose).

Please could Evernote confirm:

1. How long will the legacy version be maintained and supported?
2. What is roadmap for the new version, including timing for features that currently exist in legacy but that have not yet been developed in the new version?

I rely heavily on Evernote, and am concerned enough at the moment to be importing all my notes into Onenote as a safety backup (which, as an aside, I am finding is a pretty impressive tool as well). 

Please, Evernote, can you provide some detailed information on your plans.

Thank you.

This post may or may not be approved to appear, but at least the content will be seen and hopefully considered by an Evernote individual.

I LOATHE Ver 10 for all the reasons already cited, in addition to a few of my own personal preferences. This half-baked, deficient product is an insult, especially to the more experienced and proficient long-time users. Notice than the menu bar on this very message box offers more options than Ver 10's new or existing Evernote entries!

Sadly, since reverting to legacy is only a temporary solution which will eventually be unsupported, I'm forced to start hunting now for an Evernote replacement. After all these years, using on it Blackberry, Windows and Android, Evernote has been my "right hand man". It is with tremendous regret that I must now contemplate an amputation. I haven't felt this cross and forlorn since the end of Palm OS or Blackberry OS 7. 😠 😭

I absolutely will not risk my data by using the two versions concurrently. So, I need some assurance that my synced data will be arranged and formatted just as before once I downgrade.

Secondly, I am profoundly grateful to those who provided instructions on how to escape this shockingly inadequate nightmare. As someone above said, it will be like coming home from a war.

Sorry to be so emphatically negative, but my post and in fact this entire thread are only a small sample of user displeasure. I can't even repeat here what some of my real life colleagues are saying!

I am really disappointed in Version 10.  I was really excited when the invite popped up when I launched the app today. But, as soon as it installed I immediately jumped to find Preferences to make sure my settings were still in tact, as well as find out if anything new was available. 

I was super confused when I couldn't find them so came here to see what I could learn. And all I can say is it seems that Evernote WAY UNDERESTIMATED just how important Preferences are to so many users for an abundance of critical reasons.

Did they not see how much users interacted with those settings or did they just not care?

I can't understand how there can be no plan or roadmap to bring them back IF the company understood the importance of them.  But could they really be running their operations in that much darkness? I doubt it.  So that means the rationale leans towards the idea of Evernote not caring...which feels really bad. 

Were conflicting priorities the problem? If so, you'd think they would have been clear about the lack of preferences from the get go upon release of Version 10 - to warn their loyal user base. But they didn't do that. In fact, I've not yet seen an officials statement from Evernote about this critical issue. 

Based on the dated feedback I see here, it been weeks since v10 was available for download. That's plenty of time for Evernote to come up with a response or warning ahead of pushing announcements out to its users - inviting them to download this new version. 

The lack of communication is sort of worse than the omission itself. 

Also, Evernote isn't the most perfect app, but have stuck with it because it was pretty awesome when I first began using it a few years ago. Since then I've put a lot of energy and time into making it "home base" for just about all aspects of my life, so I don't take lightly the thought of changing to another solution.  However, most recent situation with Evernote has moved me to consider the idea of a move. 

Perhaps leaving out Preferences won't impact me too terribly, but it bothers me that they didn't care if it would or not. It bothers me too that it's impacted others so terribly too and I've seen no real answers from Evernote to those people. 

So what could happen next? What critical feature or function might be deprioritized by Evernote without a care for it's loyal users and paying customers? I'm not sure I want to stick around to find out.

• Like 2

I came here to find this exact same answer. The new desktop app is half-baked web wrapper B$. horrible performance and bad hotkeys. total waste of development time imo. it's like i'm fighting against evernote to take a note. IT WAS NEVER like that before.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, trainerdave said:

3 minutes into v10 and I knew it would be a clunker.  I'd rather power through "not responding" hangs than watch spinning sync wheels delay every click and keystroke on v10! 

💯💯💯💯

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, carycature said:

Sadly, since reverting to legacy is only a temporary solution which will eventually be unsupported

I don't understand these posts   
I'm still using the Legacy product, and have no issues  
Yes, eventually I'll have to switch.  Why should I be upset/concerned about this today?   
Why are you using the Version 10 product when it's clearly not ready for general use?

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Why are you using the Version 10 product when it's clearly not ready for general use?

Evernote is getting more and more aggressive at pushing users to upgrade. You should rather ask "Why are Evernote releasing a Version 10 which is clearly not ready for general use?"

• Like 1
On 11/13/2020 at 10:59 PM, mlu said:

You should rather ask "Why are Evernote releasing a Version 10 which is clearly not ready for general use?"

They need more beta testers? (Oh! Did I just say that in my outside voice?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fully agree. 

With my several years of experience with EN, I never had this level of horrible experience with EN. It is crashing several times. A while ago, I just finished a long note, with a confidence that it would sync to Web automatically. Almost at the end of the note, it crashed and when I restart it shows the note was not synced. 

In the earlier versions, I was able to color the note books for quick reference. Now, all that feature is gone! 

Very frustrating experience with the update.

• Level 5*
On 11/6/2020 at 12:45 PM, Steven-Michael said:

Is there any way for a user to roll back to the previous version? This version is wholly unusable.

To download the Legacy product, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

1 hour ago, dcon said:

They need more beta testers? (Oh! Did I just say that in my outside voice?)

There were plenty of beta testers. What they announced was the need to see the new platform in wide use.  However, it was badly communicated. It should have been clear that this is a basic platform that is being rebuilt and that many functions would not be present. Althought it was announced, it wasn't clear that version 10 and version 6.25 would exist at the same time and that it would not suit everyone to make the switch.

For me the issue has been poor communication.

• Like 2

I just wasted half of my day dealing with this huge downgrade in quality. I have reinstalled the legacy Evernote product and am happy that it still works well. The "upgraded" product was horrible. I am going to explore alternative note software because if I get forced to use what I tried out today, I am done with Evernote. 

Hi guys ( @Nick L.@DTLow? @Shane D.?)  can you provide a link to the latest "normal" version for Windows as well? Not "legacy" version with ugly gray icon. Latest pre-10 version for Windows with normal green icon. Thank you in advance.

(BTW this is latest normal - with green icon - version for macOS: http://cdn1.evernote.com/mac-smd/public/Evernote_RELEASE_7.14_458244.zip)

• Like 1

I now installed the Legacy version. Feels good to have all the good funtionality back. I hope that Evernote will make an effort to bring all functionality back to the new code base. This was not a good expericence to upgrade

On 11/13/2020 at 5:42 AM, tirmaosn said:

My feedback to Evernote... 

I have used Evernote for many years now.  However, this new version has me very worried.  As many people in this forum have found, It significantly lacks in features and usability from the legacy version.  My worry is that the legacy version stops being maintained/available before key and fundamental features make it to the new version (which at the moment is a long way from being fit for purpose).

Please could Evernote confirm:

1. How long will the legacy version be maintained and supported?
2. What is roadmap for the new version, including timing for features that currently exist in legacy but that have not yet been developed in the new version?

I rely heavily on Evernote, and am concerned enough at the moment to be importing all my notes into Onenote as a safety backup (which, as an aside, I am finding is a pretty impressive tool as well). 

Please, Evernote, can you provide some detailed information on your plans.

Thank you.

I noticed that you said you were importing all of your notes into Onenote. I need to do something, I can't use the new version, my notes show up but when I click on a note, I can't see the content of the note. I have no idea how to export from Evernote or import elsewhere. I was thinking about upgrading to premium, but this mess changed my mind. I can see my content if I go online to Evernote.com and login in, but I prefer to use the computer app. Does onenote work as well as Evernote? 

On 10/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, DTLow said:

I can't get it to work once downloaded. I get a popup note stating the side by side configuration is incorrect. After reading all of the comments here, I was previously thinking about upgrading, now I am looking to see what other options there are to Evernote. This was an awesome program, now I can't even use it. When I click on a note, none of the content is there. So I go online, when I click on devices, there is nothing there either. The other day, it showed my devices, now I can't even see that. Looks like you guys want to lose all of your customers based on the comments I am seeing.

thank you so much for providing a way to use the "classic" Evernote-Version.

Release "10" leads only to uninstallation, too many issues to name it here.

Happy to have a working release - release 6 - again.

I'm going back to the legacy version so thank you for instructions and download link.

Coming from an avid evernote user who has used the product since 2012 and been a paid member since 2014. I'm completely bewildered what Evernote are thinking pushing users onto v10. Basic features such as the manual 'sync' button and 'options' is no where to be seen, no more coloured notebooks and the tagging has been moved to the bottom. 

I've used Evernote for Windows for so long without thinking or paying attention, so now that I've installed the 'legacy' version it feels wrong, too. 

There are things I think I used to do that don't do what I thought they did now. 😬 

I'm almost sure it's my imagination...

On 11/21/2020 at 2:37 AM, gregorylohr said:

I noticed that you said you were importing all of your notes into Onenote. I need to do something, I can't use the new version, my notes show up but when I click on a note, I can't see the content of the note. I have no idea how to export from Evernote or import elsewhere. I was thinking about upgrading to premium, but this mess changed my mind. I can see my content if I go online to Evernote.com and login in, but I prefer to use the computer app. Does onenote work as well as Evernote? 

I have been using OneNote for a couple of weeks, and it takes a little getting used to (just because it is different, and I have been using Evernote for many years now).  However, the more I use it the more I like it.  I have not come across anything I need that it can’t do, and there are quite a few things I think it does better. The move over was really easy... Only challenge was that I had to unencrypt (in Evernote) and then re-encrypt (in OneNote) a few notes with encrypted content.

I am still using both for the moment but am now in a position where I would be quite happy moving solely to OneNote.