Export PDF option missing from Evernote v10.1.7

Hey team, 

So I recently update to v10.1.7 of Evernote and was writing my notes as usually, when I notice I no longer had the option of exporting my note as PDF under the File tab on Windows 10. I was using v6 before the update and I enjoyed this feature quite heavily. Please advise on how to export my notes as a PDF in v10.1.7 now. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

@sm788 Several users are installing the "legacy" version parallel to Evernote 10 to access functionalities that might be missing in version 10. If you can't find the export to PDF than you should consider installing such version in parallel. It is extremely easy to perform such installation.  Here is the link for the instructions: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

As others have reported, after upgrading printing to pdf option is broken. I'm now on version 10.1.7 on macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.7) and the Export to PDF function is gone and Print as PDF produces a document with headings and no content. This is major, when will this be fixed please, or is there a workaround?

If this is not possible how can I go back to my previously installed version please, as this function is critical for my work.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 3:51 AM, comonty said:

Hi all,

As others have reported, after upgrading printing to pdf option is broken. I'm now on version 10.1.7 on macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.7) and the Export to PDF function is gone and Print as PDF produces a document with headings and no content. This is major, when will this be fixed please, or is there a workaround?

If this is not possible how can I go back to my previously installed version please, as this function is critical for my work.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Problem is that when you try to export from print..it puts all content in only one page. Earlier versions werer easier to do that it worked. 

I am also having this problem and I can't seem to find an answer or response from Evernote team.  I do not have the time, know-how or energy to be running parallel systems or even try to install an older version.  Please Help!

Here to bump this topic. I used to be able to right click on a note with photos and the entire note would convert to a PDF. This is a huge miss and I also dont have time to install older versions. Super frustrating that relied upon functionality is missing in an 'upgrade'. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On my swiss knife I only use the corkscrew ...

Now they introduced screwed-caps. I have to get rid go my swiss knife, worthless.

Wait, there are other tools on my swiss knife. What a discovery !

P.S. For scanning and converting it into a pdf, EN is not even in my top 100 for THIS job. And for sure not by paying for Premium - there are plenty of free tools to do that specific job.

A lot of us like our swiss knife with a corkscrew. Not sure what the sarcasm is for. Evernote is not only a file cabinet, it has been focused on allowing users to easily capture content for a long time now.

The scanning experience is already good in my opinion, and I feel like it has improved with v10 on Android. I feel no need to use a separate app for scanning. Most people don't want hyperspecialized apps for every task. And it is important to be able to easily turn the result into a pdf format. It is the standard / most commonly used file format for document sharing.

People like to be dramatic about their complaints but I think it's ok if it helps Evernote become a better product

• Level 5

Comments like above are fairy telling, either people are really using an app for a purpose it was neither build for in first hand nor optimized (the EN scanner is in fact very weak in features and performance), or they are placing a misleading information about their real use of the app. The ability to scan something and export it as a pdf is for sure not a key function of EN, even if the app could be used to do this a a certain point in time. If you don‘t believe me, go to the EN web site and search for this „feature“ to be promoted in any way. Not there, no surprise.

Both approaches do not help to solve problems for yourself and other users in the forum, left alone develop the app further.

There have been quite a few issues raised on the forum about printing (which surely is a core feature). Once those get solved (sensible pagination etc) then it will be very easy to export to pdf using an external pdf printer (like primopdf) even if the original pdf export functionaility is not restored.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

There have been quite a few issues raised on the forum about printing (which surely is a core feature). Once those get solved (sensible pagination etc) then it will be very easy to export to pdf using an external pdf printer (like primopdf) even if the original pdf export functionaility is not restored.

That is what makes it really annoying. One should at least be able to print to pdf, but even that doesn't work properly.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

the app could be used to do this a a certain point in time

Yes, and some people liked it that way. Not everyone likes Evernote for the same reasons and features than you do. If they took away something you're using every day, you'd most likely be posting "WHY???" rather than "oh right, I'll just use an external app"

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

the EN scanner is in fact very weak in features and performance

Works very well to scan documents IMO. Perhaps it doesn't suit your needs but I certainly do not feel the need for an external app for that purpose on Android. On iOs, I guess I would be using Scannable as it integrates very well with EN.

• 3 weeks later...

Long time user of evernote, very disappointed that I can't print PDFs. I have all my medical and musical notes stored in one useful place, and now can't export PDF and print.what?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the most ridiculous product development I have ever experienced.

I'm so glad Evernote switched to this new buggy slow piece of javascript bundle that's the new apps. So they can deliver new features faster, right? Well I guess they forgot to tell us that they'd be removing 90 % of the useful features while leaving something as lovely as Work Chat. I mean I can't even create a note from the context menu in iOS. Half of my searches are either not returning anything, or returning incorrect results. Opening notes results in infinite loading indicators half of the time.. Laughable.

Oh well, Evernote was such a great product once.. I think it deserved another shot. Alas, I won't be coming back anytime soon. :(

• Like 1
On 3/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, PinkElephant said:

Comments like above are fairy telling, either people are really using an app for a purpose it was neither build for in first hand nor optimized (the EN scanner is in fact very weak in features and performance), or they are placing a misleading information about their real use of the app. The ability to scan something and export it as a pdf is for sure not a key function of EN, even if the app could be used to do this a a certain point in time. If you don‘t believe me, go to the EN web site and search for this „feature“ to be promoted in any way. Not there, no surprise.

Both approaches do not help to solve problems for yourself and other users in the forum, left alone develop the app further.

This seems somewhat disingenuous, given that there was an Evernote-branded Fujitsu ix-500 scanner sold for years—obviously the purpose of the device was to scan and store files electronically, with the native format being PDF.

Indeed, you've commented on it:

And regardless, I hardly think people are making this up—why would they? I, for one, used to export my entire Evernote database as PDFs as an emergency backup. It's a bit hard to understand why this obviously sensible feature has been discontinued.

• Level 5

Taking things out of context doesn’t help.

My first quote is about the build in scanning ability of the app. There are better scanners apps for the phone, and the EN scanner (software) often uses jpeg as format, not pdf. 

Has nothing to do with a piece of hardware like an ix500, EN edition or standard.

For which emergency do you prepare by exporting everything as pdf ? A pdf sucks if you use it on notes that have an attachment, like a scanned document. You have the note with a symbol that says „look, the original note contained a pdf“. If you export the attachment only, you loose the content of the note 

If you want an universal format for access, it would probably be best to export as HTML. It exports note and attachment, and can be read with any browser. If you want the ability to transfer data to another (similar) app use ENEX.

Adding my voice to this list. A really useful feature that I have valued up until now and view as 'part of the package'.

Would be great if this could be elevated to Evernote for consideration in future updates.

• Level 5

You want to export a pdf attached to a note, or the note itself as pdf ?

In v10, if you want to export an attachment from a note, open it, right click into the notes body and choose „Save attachments“ from the drop down menu. Or click on edit, then on the attachment (gets a blue border line), then on the download arrow below it.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You want to export a pdf attached to a note, or the note itself as pdf ?

I at least am talking about exporting a note as pdf. I have to say it is hard to imagine an application that allows attachments that would not allow you to then access/export those attachments. Sounds like one of those write-only memories.

• Level 5

You can want to export a note as itself (text, sketches, pictures, tables, the like). This uses in most apps the print function, and that is still a weak point in v10. Here use the legacy client, it works way better.

To export the attachment the tools are there, as described.

You will very rarely find any app that exports the note (= container) and the attachment (=content) on one go into a pdf. To export a whole note with all parts, you can use the HTML export function.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You will very rarely find any app that exports the note (= container) and the attachment (=content) on one go into a pdf. To export a whole note with all parts, you can use the HTML export function.

That's definitely not my use case. I don't think I have ever encountered a PDF with embedded attachments, so it is not something I would expect.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In v10, if you want to export an attachment from a note, open it, right click into the notes body and choose „Save attachments“ from the drop down menu. Or click on edit, then on the attachment (gets a blue border line), then on the download arrow below it.

That fixed it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I often need to print a note complete with header either as pdf or as paper. In den Windows 7 -Version that worked perfect but now in this 10.13.4 Version it is really annoying. The printing runs over the paper- surface, header is missing, i have no more any control how the print comes out. I feel loosen like i did in the late 80-ies with ms-DOS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm done with EN. No way I can continue to pay money for a slowly degrading service. This thread was started in Oct 2020 and we're still in the same position? It baffles me that they roll out new "features" while continually axing the most basic fundamental functionality. I haven't seen anyone from EN on these topics even acknowledge that this is a thing.

• Level 5

It was not removed, because this would mean they destroyed something that existed.

v10 has a completely (100%) new code base - there was nothing destroyed with pdf, it was not yet developed, tested and released.

Another post said it is expected with 10.16 or 10.17.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 8:21, agsteele dijo:

It seems that the export to PDF is tentatively set for v 10.16 or 10.17

Great! I'm quite new to Evernote, been using it for just three or four months, and I really like the program's interfase and options. I have the legacy and the 10.16.7 version installed. I'll hope they'll soon incorporate the option to export PDFs, since I only use the legacy version for that purpose, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour,

J'ai une version 10.16.7 et cette fonction n'est plus présente pour exporter en PDF

Les options  par clic droit sont

image.png.51bfc3afdef0d4286b57aff7c94d6def.png

ou par Fichier \ Exporter la note 

image.png.4e0c8b95c8948ba25a060b2490b57cc9.png

Une fonction aussi importante ne disparaît pas par erreur ou oubli, cela soulève donc quelques questions de monopolisation du service.

Aucune information sur la question dans des messages en provenance d'Evernote ou j'ai pas vu ce qu'il fallait voir.

Les solutions : 

Exporter un PDF

Clid droit sur le PDF d'une note puis Enregistrer sous

Nommer le fichier en forçant son extention .pdf 

image.png.6b4571db80347b87e787994ab07e51a7.png

Ca fonctionne aussi pour les autres images en .png

Pour les notes comprenant textes et images : Greenshot : https://getgreenshot.org/ impression en PDF ou enregistrement images.

En espérant que ça puisse aider quelques personnes.

• 2 weeks later...

Позор протосто. Какой смысл покупать подписку если я не могу ее тупо в PDF сбросить, просто не понимаю как так можно, идиотизм.

Выберу другой редактор.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe this feature was removed! Evernote just gets worse and worse and the fanboys come in and scold you even though you may have been a paying customer for years longer than them!

Still don't understand why Evernote seems to runs lower and slower with each update. Really need to move to something else.

• Level 5

OK - don’t need to be a fanboy to call BS what it is: BS.

The v10 client was completely recoded - little wonder there were not all features available at the initial release. This is why EN released a stable, not updating legacy client together with the new version. Together they were and are feature complete - everything available, can be installed and used side by side on desktop.

Since the initial release, v10 has evolved, gaining new features, regaining old ones. As of today we are counting 19 releases for desktop, 15 for mobile in less than a year. Legacy is only needed for a few things now, among it advanced printing and pdf export.

So stop the Blabla, because it is not covered by fact. If you have something substantial to say as many others here, go ahead. Critical or not plays no role, but if it is misleading, you should expect some headwind again. 

Since you are looking elsewhere anyhow, I rather say farewell.

Isn't this topic redundant now as the Export to PDF feature is working on my Windows version (since v10.17 ?)

Single or multiple notes can be exported to PDF at the Personal Level, and Progessional or Teams plans allow the export of whole notebooks as PDFs.

2 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

Isn't this topic redundant now as the Export to PDF feature is working on my Windows version (since v10.17 ?)

Single or multiple notes can be exported to PDF at the Personal Level, and Progessional or Teams plans allow the export of whole notebooks as PDFs.

I believe so

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

v10.3. is very old and dead - today version 10.32 got released. They have even added a nice preview function for the new PDF recently.

Update to the latest version, and if it is still not working, you can come back here.