#1 Problem with Version 10 is Severe Slowness

I am a very-long-time Evernote user.  I was looking forward to Version 10 because it was supposed to improve the one area where I thought Evernote was weak, and that was search.   (I can usually find things faster by going back to Google even if it was already saved in Evernote.)

I've been using Evernote 10 since the day it was available.  The search function is much better, but I am stunned at how incredibly slow everything else is.  I tried to reorganize a bunch of notes yesterday and it was like slogging through molasses.   Creating a new note is very slow, and even adding a tag or changing the title of an existing note is slow.  If you try to change multiple notes (in succession, not simultaneously), the slowness multiplies, because it seems as though it's still doing something with the previous note when you've moved on to try and do something with the next note.  When I made changes to multiple notes in a row, it wouldn't even show the changes correctly in the list of notes.  The title or tag had changed in the note itself, but the list of notes still showed the old title and tags.  I thought it might be the fact that program was trying to constantly sync every change with the web, so I disconnected the computer from the internet and tried again, but the speed was only marginally better.   And when I reconnected to the internet, the syncing process took nearly an hour, even though I had only made about two dozen changes in names & tags.   I did this on a machine with an i7 processor, 16GB memory, 1TB hard drive, and Windows 10, so it's the software, not the machine.  The program makes me feel like I'm back on a 386 processor with 20MB of memory, which is not a fond memory.  

So I installed what is now called the "Legacy" version, and did the exact same types of tasks.  Instantaneous response to every change I made.   I am not exaggerating when I say that what I can do in 5 minutes on version 6.25 will take an hour to do on version 10.  I love version 6.25 of Evernote, but not version 10.

I'd be willing to live with some loss of minor features and to wait for various bugs to be fixed and missing features to be added, but I can't possibly use this program when it runs this slowly.   I'm not surprised that it's running this slowly, since every note seems to be stored in a separate file on my hard drive now; I have 40K notes and there are 40K files, whereas under the old version everything was in one .exb file.  What worries is me is that if this is new data structure that was designed to make Evernote better, it will never be faster.  Maybe it works fine for people with a few dozen notes, but I use a separate ToDo list program that could fill that need.  I've looked at all of the other note-taking programs (OneNote would be free for me to use and it's been on my computer since I first started using Evernote), but I think Evernote has far better features.   But great features are useless if it takes an hour every time one wants to use them.

I would really like to hear from someone at Evernote to tell me what to expect.  If there is a reasonable hope that Evernote 10 can get back the speed and basic functionality of Evernote 6, then I am quite happy continuing to use the legacy version until then.  But if it's never going to get much better (at least for someone who has a lot of notes), then I would rather know that NOW and start transitioning to a different note software now, even if it's inferior, than to invest a lot of time adding and organizing stuff in Evernote only to wake up one day and find that version 6 will no longer work.

Could someone at Evernote tell us what to expect, please?? 

• Like 5

Keen to get a response here also.  I've very quickly established that the new version is unusable for me, and installed the legacy version while it's either fixed, or I work out how to migrate to something else.

• Like 2