Difference between 'legacy' version and last v6 for Windows

I read something somewhere that the "legacy" version differs from the last known good version 6  (6.25.1.9091). Whatever it is I read sounded an alarm bell that made me stick with v6. Does anyone know the differences between the two aside from the fact that legacy is apparently getting updates?

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I believe the legacy icon is black so you don't get confused between two green icons, I'm still using the 6.25 as well as the new client.

haha.. that wasn't the change I was thinking of. I thought it related to syncing or exporting or I don't know, it was important enough for me to avoid legacy.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, lisec said:

I found it!  

I don't think that answers the question you were asking, what is the difference between the legacy version and the last pre-v10 version?  Gaz's comment, as I understand it, points out that v10 is using a new database, so if you want both a pre-v10 version and the v10 version installed, two versions of the database will be downloaded doubling the amount of space used.  That will happen whether you use the last pre-v10 version or the legacy version.  It is possible that the icon change may be the only difference.  If it isn't, I would be interested in knowing the changes too.

It answers my misunderstanding of what he was saying 😉

I thought that installing legacy auto installed *both* legacy and win 10, thereby increasing the space taken on the drive. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Until there is a clear definition of what is in the "legacy" 6.25.2 version I am sticking with the last version I have, 6.25.1 .  6.25.1 is working plus the chaos in the V 10 cluster thingamabob makes sitting on the sidelines seem the right thing to do at this point.

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Until there is a clear definition of what is in the "legacy" 6.25.2 version I am sticking with the last version I have, 6.25.1 .  6.25.1 is working plus the chaos in the V 10 cluster thingamabob makes sitting on the sidelines seem the right thing to do at this point.

That's what I'm doing as well. As long as it still syncs, it's good for me.

• Like 1

I forget exactly where I read it, but version 6.25 will no longer be updated (hence the "legacy label"), they are focusing on the new version 10.

I am under the impression some old timers in the forums have been through this before, totally revamped program and editor, etc.

8 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I forget exactly where I read it, but version 6.25 will no longer be updated (hence the "legacy label"), they are focusing on the new version 10.

I am under the impression some old timers in the forums have been through this before, totally revamped program and editor, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, legacy is 6.25.2 and the previous version is 6.25.1, so in effect they are both 6.25.  I thought I read today that there was an update to the legacy version although I don't recall what was changed.

32 minutes ago, lisec said:

If I'm not mistaken, legacy is 6.25.2 and the previous version is 6.25.1, so in effect they are both 6.25.

Correct.

32 minutes ago, lisec said:

I thought I read today that there was an update to the legacy version although I don't recall what was changed.

From https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

"There will be no future updates or bug fixes in older versions of Evernote, including Evernote Legacy. If you are having trouble with this app, our Support team may recommend that you update Evernote to the newest version."

20 hours ago, CalS said:

And 6.25.2 is evidently not an upgrade - I'm on 6.25.1 and doing a "Check for updates" says "nope!".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was using version 6.25.1 and stopped updating. I migrated to version 10 and regretted it deeply. Also because I lost the sync of notes during about 10 days of version 6.25.1. Can the Legacy version help? Has anyone been through this?

• Level 5

Can’t check right now, but legacy should be identical to the last released version of the Windows / Mac client before the release of v10.

Always make sure everything is synced and on the server before removing or upgrading software, This means in this case make sure your stuff from v10 is synced before „sidegrading“ (because v10 currently is not really an upgrade).

Install legacy, and it will download everything from the server. It runs on its own database, so if you leave v10 installed (which is possible), you have your Notes in 2 installations on your PC.

• Evernote Expert

As far as I can tell the legacy version varies only in the colour of the icon which appears on the desktop/system tray.  It did seem to change my import folders too.  I had previously set them so that they cleared after the import (source | delete) and installing the legacy version appeared to set them to be retained (source | keep) but that's the safer option and it was easy to reset.

• Haha 1