Version 10 - Scansnap no longer works

For years I've had my ScanSnap printer scan directly to Evernote without issue.  I just installed Evernote version 10 and now I get an error.  I've attached photos of the error and the versions I'm running.  Is there any fix for this?  

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 11.29.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 1.38.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 11.34.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 11.29.56 AM.png

• Like 1

I have the same problem with it for Windows 10.  For the moment I have downloaded the "legacy version" and am running it as well as the new version.  They sync automatically.  My Scan Snap scans happily to the "legacy version".  But the whole event has made me worry about Evernote for the future.  I tried to find a way of alerting fujitsu but so far have not found an email address.  As a big company they might be able to exert some pressure on Evernote.  I also have used the feedback button in the new version to send some very clear adverse feedback to Evernote about this.  

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, john.blackie said:

I have the same problem with it for Windows 10.  For the moment I have downloaded the "legacy version" and am running it as well as the new version.  They sync automatically.  My Scan Snap scans happily to the "legacy version".  But the whole event has made me worry about Evernote for the future.  I tried to find a way of alerting fujitsu but so far have not found an email address.  As a big company they might be able to exert some pressure on Evernote.  I also have used the feedback button in the new version to send some very clear adverse feedback to Evernote about this.  

Funny just this morning I deleted version 10 and reinstalled 7.14.  Are you saying you can have both versions running at the same time so Scansnap will scan to the old version and everything will sync to the new version 10?  This seems like a huge oversight to me as scanning to Evernote is such a core part of the functionality and how I and presumably many others use it.  I would think this is a simple software fix once someone at Evernote and/or Fujitsu care to fix it.  

• Like 1

I installed the Legacy version and didn't see any signs of v10 the way it seems other people are able to see both, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the Legacy version just to be sure.  I made sure to restart, and still no luck doing any of the following:

-scanning to Evernote via ScanSnap Organizer

-copying and pasting a PDF into an Evernote folder (via ctrl short-cuts or pulldown menu) 

-establishing an import folder and copying PDFs into it.

So I can't get any PDFs into Evernote now, even with Legacy.

• Like 1

Yes ScanSnap is extremely useful, better and faster than taking multiple photos. Especially if you have lots of paper to scan as I do. Another massive feature missing from  version 10. They’ve left so much out really this isn’t Evernote any more but a very poor copy indeed.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

Responding to a different thread I shared the following which might assist others. I have ScanSnap Manager and version 10.5.7 working quite nicely together. It required an update from ScanSnap/Fujitsu which is where the bigger issue lie.  The ScanSnap Manager update isn't easy to locate but using version 7 with Mac or Windows allows it to have EN 10 as an option in the scanning destination.  Works every time for me ;)

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 6:51 PM, weemaple said:

I installed the Legacy version and didn't see any signs of v10 the way it seems other people are able to see both, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the Legacy version just to be sure.  I made sure to restart, and still no luck doing any of the following:

-scanning to Evernote via ScanSnap Organizer

-copying and pasting a PDF into an Evernote folder (via ctrl short-cuts or pulldown menu) 

-establishing an import folder and copying PDFs into it.

So I can't get any PDFs into Evernote now, even with Legacy.

if you wanna do like a skype screen share, I can probably get you going again; I installed the legacy last year. It worked fine side by side the current edition. And scans went into whichever notebook I was clicked on at the time via scansnap to application.

Thanks PinkElephant; however, it looks like I'm using the latest version of ScanSnap (ScanSnap manager Version 6.5 L61) for my scanner.

If anyone knows how to get the latest version of EN (10.7.6.0) to work, correctly, with the ScanSnap application (ScanSnap manager Version 6.5 L61), please let me know.

• It seems that EN has resolved some issues, i.e., it no longer creates a new notebook with each scan.
  • But it doesn't allow me to scan directly into the specific folder I'm clicked on in in EN; it only scans into my "default" EN folder.
  • And it hasn't brought back the functionality of "Import Folders" 

Like many Evernote users, my ScanSnap/Evernote broke last year with the update to EN Version 10.xxxxx. If it worked at all, you could no longer scan to a specific notebook; and for every scan, it would create a new notebook. 

Here is my workaround for now: 

So for scanning purposes, I took the advice of the forums, and downloaded EN Legacy (6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)) version last year (you don't need to uninstall the latest version of EN either). Since then, I've able to use my ScanSnap IX500 scanner along with the ScanSnap software (ScanSnap manager Version 6.5 L61) to scan directly into whichever notebook I am clicked on in Evernote.

Side note: I've never been able to accomplish this in the web based version of EN but would be interested to know if anyone ever has.

Just a reminder, for this to work, the ScanSnap application location needs to be properly defined in ScanSnap:

image.png.efd8943314499b72bc149fb55c6fcffb.png

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, for this to work, you have to go into your ScanSnap settings and define the location of the your respective EN app(s) by going to "Add or Remove", then clicking on "Change" or "Add", and then navigating to where your EN application program (.exe file) is located.

Not that yours are necessarily exactly where mine are, but for a starting point, on my Windows 10 machine, Evernote apps are installed these folders: 

EN Legacy (Desktop standalone Legacy):

• C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Local\Apps\Evernote\Evernote Legacy
  • Once in that folder, look a file called "Evernote" of the type "Application" or ".exe" and select it.

My EN Version 10.7.6.0 (the Windows/App Store Version): 

• C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_10.7.6.0_x86__.....\app
  • Likewise, once in that folder, look a file called "Evernote" of the type Application" or ".exe" and select it.

After selecting the application location, I recommend you giving the app a unique name. I.E., I called my EN Legacy, "Evernote Legacy"; and I called my Windows Store App EN, "Evernote 10.7.6" or whichever version you linked to.

image.png.d1cf15fab01cdfe2653b840945db01ac.png

**And last, for this to work:  you need to be in the actual application you have selected in the ScanSnap Application settings. In other words, to get the ScanSnap scanner to actually scan into the specific EN Notebook you are clicked into, you need to have the Legacy version selected in the ScanSnap application settings; and you also need open the the actual Legacy Version of EN and be left-clicked on the said Notebook you want the scan to go into.

FYI: you can run the web based EN, the latest desktop or windows store EN 10.7.6 version, and the desktop EN legacy version, all simultaneously, side by side at the same time. And you will need to run at least 2 of them side by side, because, there will be certain formats and many cool new features which just won't work for the legacy version. The EN legacy version is, for most intensive purposes, a scanning hack; and also a hack to bring back "Import Folders" for the time being.

Of note, for the last few years, every time EN came out with an update, the EN/ScanSnap linkage would break and I would have to go back into the ScanSnap settings and redefine the location of the new version of EV is located; otherwise, it would not scan into my EN period, let alone to a specific folder; therefore, there are pros and cons of the Windows Store version since it does auto update on its own.... and you may not be in a place where you want to chance an auto-update breaking your EN.

Regardless, it's a good idea to save the file location, ironically, in an Evernote Note so you don't scratch your head every 3 to 6 months when you might have to repeat this auto-update cycle (surprising how much I can forget in a few months time).

Feature request to Evernote: please work on a fix for this, so that every time EN updates, we don't have to redefine the application location for ScanSnap to scan to.

Hope all this helps!

Best,

Jody

• Level 5

The 64bit-versions of ScanSnap Manager have a 7.x - release number. If you are on version 6.5, it is still a 32bit piece of software.

So no idea to get this to work with recent software. On the Mac it is very simple: With MacOS Catalina and newer, 32bit apps will not even open. Windows tries to be backwards compatible as hell, but this not necessarily means old apps will run together with modern software.

Currently I would stick with legacy for scanning. Import folders are announced for future v10 releases. It will probably be easier to get the scanning job redirected to EN v10 when ScanSnap just needs to know to send it to a folder, and the import does the rest.