Evernote Helper missing in new version?

quivver
Go to solution Solved by Nick L.,

Idea

I just upgraded from the legacy 7.x version of Evernote Mac app to the latest v10.0.10 build 1838 on my macOS Catalina running latest security updates...  After logging in, I can no longer see the Evernote Helper functionality that lets me clip screenshots and save to new note in the Helper service in the task bar.

image.png.d56721df6179e818224b1c2e5773e22c.png

image.png.842b1a5c2930c727fc9b8c137313724d.png

I double checked and it appears the app has proper access to the Screen Recording settings under the Security & Privacy settings of the the macOS System Preferences.  I should also point out that I had early closed Beta access to test out the new 10.x release.  I have deleted the old Beta and installed the latest public release from the main site.

Was the Evernote Helper functionality removed in this new release or am I having some odd issue / bug?

Any help appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 replies to this idea

I've gone back to the legacy version for Mac. The newest Mac version is a disaster with even more usability pain experienced yesterday. This was so frustrating and disappointing, which was probably amplified because I've had a positive experience with the rebuilt iOS app. My confidence in Evernote's project management and leadership took a big hit the past few days.

Evernote is represents a methodology. It is to people's personal, professional and academic livelihood as exchanges are to money markets. You don't mess around with half-baked trading/infrastructure availability code updates that jeopardize client's relative livelihood/commerce/confidence. I'd guess that you're headquartered in Cleveland because of how cavalier leadership is about delivering a consistently quality product with emphasis upon a fluid transition between product evolutions. One of the first ways to ruin any chance at that is the failure to communicate known impactful changes to key features, which this thread and many others are surely pointing out.

This seems to be your fatal flaw Evernote. If you cease to exist, it'll be squarely due to inadequate lifecycle standards and execution compounded by ineffective communication. But I'll have long since booked passage aboard another vessel when the once mighty SS Evernote goes down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kavinraj said:

EVERNOTE HELPER (Screenshot) is very critical for my work. 
After updating Evernote on my Mac - I spent a lot of time breaking my head - finding the Evernote's Screenshot tool.

Evernote Helper is included with the latest Version 10 release150946379_ScreenShot2020-11-08at9_30_07PM.png.c7f8e6e4008b840252fcf85dbef5fd3c.png

Screenshot functionality is included

Anyone got an idea where I can find the screenshots I took with Evernote Helper?

Prior to the update, I could click on the toolbar icon (on Mac) and it would open a window with all the screenshots one after the other. After the update, this has gone and so have all the screenshots I was foolish enough to keep in there...

5 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Evernote Helper is being re-written from the ground up and will be available in the app in an update soon. Thanks! 

Soon as in days? Or soon as in "downgrade to 7.x for now"?

I'm two hours in to EN10 and can't see this as a viable product for my (fairly simple) workflows.

Dave

I just installed v. 10.0 and noticed that now I have two EN create note icons in my menu bar (see attached image). They're both there only if my EN desktop app is open. If I click on the left one, it takes me from whatever window I'm in to my EN desktop app. Then, if I click it again I get a short menu with three choices: Open Evernote (but it's already opened), New Note, Quit Evernote.

If the EN desktop app is not open, there's only the one icon on the right. If I want to create a note and click on it, I get a drop down window, but I can't create a note, that is, I can't get the cursor in it to begin typing.

Is this a know bug or is there something wrong with my setup. I've always used that icon frequently to create notes when looking at various browser windows or different screens, and it doesn't seem usable now.

TIA for your help,

Martin

1886311471_ScreenShot2020-10-08at10_38_49AM.jpg.0a3ddf26ab3c4d1dd2680aeb1decbe07.jpg

• Thanks 1

My issue with the new helper is that when I click on the icon, I cannot just start typing a new note right there.  The new note gets opened in the Evernote app.  I love being able to write quick notes in the menu bar without even having the app up and running.  

Also the helper is only open when the app is running.  The last version, the helper always ran so I wouldn't even have to be running the full application to capture a quick thought or screenshot.

Please fix this.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, cowright said:

My issue with the new helper is that when I click on the icon, I cannot just start typing a new note right there.  The new note gets opened in the Evernote app.  I love being able to write quick notes in the menu bar without even having the app up and running.  

Also the helper is only open when the app is running.  The last version, the helper always ran so I wouldn't even have to be running the full application to capture a quick thought or screenshot.

Please fix this.

Evernote Helper for Evernote 10 is coming in the next few updates. Stay tuned. 

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

Evernote Helper for Evernote 10 is coming in the next few updates. Stay tuned. 

Should be notified, it's a regression. At least put your answer in the bullet that appear when attempting to add quick note or use the screenshot capture. It should be fine to read "it's comming in a few updates to make it even better".

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ebretteville said:

Should be notified, it's a regression. At least put your answer in the bullet that appear when attempting to add quick note or use the screenshot capture. It should be fine to read "it's comming in a few updates to make it even better".

it's in the release notes. 

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-11%20at%2011.35.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure of the name... I think its called the 'Evernote Helper.'  It sits in the menu bar.  One could use it to do screengrabs and to jot down quick notes to later save into Evernote.  It seems to be missing.  Will it return?

image.png.7c7da13d37557539a4d90d1977f72313.png

• Like 2

Hi everybody,

I have just updated my Evernote and can't find how to activate this option. Before, I could be in a different window but still go up to my toolbar and find the Evernote Elephant icon if the app was open. When I clicked on it, a small note would appear to write whatever I wanted or copy-paste from the window I was using without actually having to move to the Evernote window... Now, when I click on the elephant icon, it takes me directly to the Evernote app...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most used feature for me was the evernote helper, especially now as I'm typically making meeting notes while a VC is running.  I chose to update my app and to my surprise this features is no longer available?  Basically I upgraded and lost features?  What's the plan here, Evernote?  I've been a user for almost a decade and now you're going to make me look for an alternative?

• Like 4

Evernote staff: this MacOS release is reckless. Long time user here too. How on earth can your quality process involve releasing into production what's effectively a beta where crucial--even basic--aspects are missing? Tabs taken away? Layout and style options missing? 'Recent notes' forced back into the sidebar without ability to remove them. And...quick-note functionality held hostage by a combination of poor design philosophy, feature vision/execution, and development capability?!

This reminds me of too many prior upgrades when I joined the first wave of fools only to get burned in return for my dollars and eagerness to demonstrate loyalty through early adoption. Well congratulations, you got me again. Do not underestimate the seriousness of undermining loyalty and quality of experience (and therefore value) by willfully removing key features. If you insist on doing this moving forward--and I have every confidence that you do--please seriously consider adding to the start of all new version installs (I refuse to call them upgrades at this point) a very obvious warning about what key features will be lost or altered, even if it's for an interim period in the roadmap.

Any time customers, especially paying customers, even create the idea to revert to a prior version, you've screwed up. Sometime around 2014-15 Firefox became such a flaming heap of trash with poor usability that it easily drove me to Chrome as the predominant option for good. This is analogous. Hooray for the improved backend but don't get it twisted: clear function first, looks second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, yma said:

This is unbelievable, I use the screenshot functionality multiple times daily, and now it's gone. Screenshotting is vital to my business.

We're told the Evernote Helper app is pending
In the meantime, you might be happier running the Legacy version

• Thanks 1

This feature is one I used every day and is a major reason I used Evernote.

Please bring it back to 10.0.+ version!!! 🙏

EDIT: I have rolled back to version 7.14 for this feature, thankfully it retained my notes I had stored in there.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.58.33 PM.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know how much longer we're going to have to wait for this basic function to be restored? It won't be many more days before I just have to leave Evernote for a full-functioned system that actually works when a new release comes out. It's a shame, but this kind of shoddiness from the Evernote team really leaves me 'in the lurch' without features I use every hour. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/7/2020 at 4:09 PM, Nick L. said:

Evernote Helper is being re-written from the ground up and will be available in the app in an update soon. Thanks! 

Can you please provide a rough timeline as to what "soon" means. Soon is very subjective. For someone that uses this as a critical feature, "soon" is ASAP. For someone who views this as less than important "soon" might mean sometime in the next 6 months. 

• Level 5*
On 10/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, Adam S. Nolan said:

Can you please provide a rough timeline as to what "soon" means.

Evernote Helper was implemented in yesterday's 10.2.4 release

Evernote Helper should be included i 10.2.4, according to the release notes, BUT it's still missing 😠

This drives me crazy, i use the clipper more times every day for business and very soon i will have to waste my time, rolling back to V7, @Evernote release-team, where do i send the invoice?

Releasing a new version, and leaving out essential functions, for "will be implemented later" makes your release planning look like some pre-beta, that was released by mistake  !!

Just to add to the chorus of voices here... Helper is part of the basic functionality of the app workflow for many, including me. I do a lot with taking screen shots in order to document processes. It is THE feature that I use in the app. 

No kidding - I have sent many hundreds of users to Evernote as part of the MBA program where I teach because this is (was) simply the best tool to make the most of online MBA classes. 

This was not a good call, at all. Please fix it asap. I'm going to have to send folks into the OneNote ecosystem until you do. 

• Thanks 1

After updating Evernote on my Mac - I spent a lot of time breaking my head - finding the Evernote's Screenshot tool.

I have no point in using Evernote Premium - without Evernote Helper. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, kavinraj said:

I have no point in using Evernote Premium - without Evernote Helper. 

But why this DOWNGRADE?

but - it is not popping on the current window - it moves to Desktop and then opens. So practically not able to do screenshot.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote Helper is included with the latest Version 10 release150946379_ScreenShot2020-11-08at9_30_07PM.png.c7f8e6e4008b840252fcf85dbef5fd3c.png

Blauhelm, it sounds like you've updated but that helper still exhibits the same behavior as the "legacy" version--which is disappointing. Did you hit the "Save to Evernote" button in helper? Try typing a character into the helper note/text box and then save it. Now, see if it populates within the app after syncing. This is a fun little quirk that's caused many moments of concern for this Mac user for a very long time.

If you clipped but hadn't yet done "Save to Evernote" then yes, the items should persist through profile sessions/reboot. All I can think of in defense of the devs is that maybe your screens are in-memory/disk and it's a display problem? Regardless, helper is a crucial aspect of the app and I feel for ya. Thanks for sharing. I'm still reverted to the legacy version and won't rush to upgrade despite staff posting development promises as readily available solutions and other nonsense. This is the second time since becoming a paid member in 2014 that I've thought to review alternatives, but the most serious I've been.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, Forever Note Farms said:

Blauhelm, it sounds like you've updated but that helper still exhibits the same behavior as the "legacy" version--which is disappointing. Did you hit the "Save to Evernote" button in helper? Try typing a character into the helper note/text box and then save it. Now, see if it populates within the app after syncing. This is a fun little quirk that's caused many moments of concern for this Mac user for a very long time.

If you clipped but hadn't yet done "Save to Evernote" then yes, the items should persist through profile sessions/reboot. All I can think of in defense of the devs is that maybe your screens are in-memory/disk and it's a display problem? Regardless, helper is a crucial aspect of the app and I feel for ya. Thanks for sharing. I'm still reverted to the legacy version and won't rush to upgrade despite staff posting development promises as readily available solutions and other nonsense. This is the second time since becoming a paid member in 2014 that I've thought to review alternatives, but the most serious I've been.

Thank you for your reply, Forever Note Farms. Unfortunately, none of this seems to have worked and it looks like my old screenshots are gone. Oh well 😞

On 11/8/2020 at 11:33 PM, DTLow said:

I create 99% of notes from the Helper and I rely heavily taking *INLINE* screenshots and annotating them. Version 10 kills this functionality, opting for saving screenshots as notes (why?) which is a horrible workflow. I don't want your scratch pad, I want the helper to create a new Note with the ability to take screenshots inline.  At the very least, offer an option for "Use Legacy Menu Helper".  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can’t use my scratchpad, as I can’t use yours or @DTLow s. Just to be precise with our wordings, and DTLow is another user, just like you and me.

You can have the legacy scratchpad, by installing the legacy client. And that is it. V10 won’t give you the legacy client, since it is a completely different platform. Take your choice …

On 6/11/2021 at 6:35 PM, intrsoul said:

I create 99% of notes from the Helper and I rely heavily taking *INLINE* screenshots and annotating them. Version 10 kills this functionality, opting for saving screenshots as notes (why?) which is a horrible workflow. I don't want your scratch pad, I want the helper to create a new Note with the ability to take screenshots inline.  At the very least, offer an option for "Use Legacy Menu Helper".  

Precisely !

@Nick L. you commented above more than 6 months ago that the Helper was being rewritten, what stage are we at right now?

I am seriously considering switching from Evernote to another app even though I was an early member since I dont believe you are listening to users anymore....