How do you rename a Stack?

Seth Stark

Idea

55 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, cyphorious said:

Title says ist all: I am unable to rename stacks. 

That's IMHO a pretty basic feature. Am I overseeing this, or this actually not possible in v10?

Make sure you're working in the Notebook page (click the Notebook icon in the sidebar)1627367319_ScreenShot2020-12-03at03_29_50.png.d33ad7bb8478c54353c3048e10f4530c.png

Right-click a Stack

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/29/2021 at 7:16 AM, dekren said:

I'm not sure how long this has been an issue but I noticed that I am unable to rename notebook stacks.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:51 AM, Phil Clark said:

Agree with dekren.  Lack ability to rename stack name (can rename notebooks just not over aching stack title)

1 hour ago, dekren said:

I'm also unable to create new stacks. Pretty bizarre.

Screenshot from my Mac after right-clicking on a stack1826830034_ScreenShot2021-03-31at10_37_54.png.58720097904f8ea2c982c7c80ecfd542.png

Note I'm working in the Notebook page; not the sidebar

To open the Notebook page, click on the notebook icon in the sidebar

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 8/12/2020 at 6:52 AM, Seth Stark said:

I am using Mac OS , Evernote version 7.14, using Chrome

In both desktop and web versions, I cannot figure out how to simply rename a Stack.  How do you rename a Stack?

On the desktop version, access the Notebooks page by clicking the Notebook icon, or View>Notebook

Clicking on the stack name should put you in edit mode
You can also right-click the stack name  1865091914_ScreenShot2020-08-17at3_36_15PM.png.31f746a189aaf3db64ea4a6755ae254d.png

• Level 5*
On 8/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, Geri said:

I am in the same boat as the OP.  I feel like I used to right-click and see the Rename option.  But now, I just see 

1 hour ago, Randy Zeitman said:

Only choice is to expand/collapse stack.

You're working in the sidebar

Switch to the Notebook page

• Evernote Expert

You show that you are using an old beta 6.19  I'm not sure if this will work with that version.  The current version is 10.1.7.

In that version, double click the Notebook label in the left hand sidebar column and the Notebooks window will be displayed. Alongside the stacks (which should appear at the top of the list) is a three dot menu option. Click that and one of the options included is Rename Stack.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

You show that you are using an old beta 6.19  I'm not sure if this will work with that version.  The current version is 10.1.7.

In that version, double click the Notebook label in the left hand sidebar column and the Notebooks window will be displayed. Alongside the stacks (which should appear at the top of the list) is a three dot menu option. Click that and one of the options included is Rename Stack.

Ugh .  I JUST today was asked to update it and I did.  That's why I was wondering if I was even in the right place .  Thanks.  

Yet another egregious bug in 10.1.7 - this is becoming surreal...

Ok - when I right click on a Stack or Notebook in the navigation pane I'm not getting a drop down menu - nothing happens. (My mouse is working fine)

So I looked in the file menu for a rename option - nothing there.

So I tried F2 - the old rename shortcut. The docs say it should still work in 10+, but nothing happens.

So as far as I can tell, there is literally no way to rename any item in the navigation pane.  Words cannot express ...

I note that when I click the Attributions item in the Help menu nothing happens. Yet another bug, but this one is rational - if I was involved in this release I would want to hide my name too.

I see that your MD has been on the media spinning the outcry as conservative users who are resistant to change. All that does is fan the flames. I've been using software intensively for decades, and this is quite literally the worst release I have ever seen. That's what we are objecting too.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Scotpip said:

So as far as I can tell, there is literally no way to rename any item in the navigation pane. 

I think you will find the options you are looking for are available from the three dots next to each notebook or stack in the main notebook window.

image.png.6891aa10787f4f5c0ed67bc237af8f9a.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't seeing that menu.

Looks like you have to set it up manually. You have a number of columns there that I wasn't using. HIdden features are not good features.

Can't check - I've given up on this release and downgraded. The 8 second lag when I move a note from one book to another is enough to make the release unusable on its own.

• Like 3

"Unable to rename notebook stack"

Received this error after upgrading to 10. But after I remove the stack, assign a notebook to a NEW stack, this bug is gone.

All NEW or UPDATE stack name is now working, which is weird workaround.

By the way, thank you for an awesome product. loving it!

This is a regression from the old version. It was more convenient before right clicking than having to go to the Notebooks menu. We lose a lot in productivity with this new method. It's incomprehensible

• Like 5

Thankfully renaming a notebook is still  possible. TIP: you need to open "My Notebook List" by clicking on notebooks as shown below, then use F2 or the three dots menu to rename. It is possible to rename stacks as well, but it is like using shovel instead of a spoon to eat lunch. Nothing happens when you press F2 or right click a notebook. It is weird and counter intuitive way to rename

Screenshot 2020-10-30 090053.jpg

Same issue here:  A) unable to rename a notebook stack, and B) renaming individual notebooks from the three 'dots' isn't very logical or obvious.

I'm using the Windows 10 app, not online.  My screen looks like the black one (pic above), nothing like the light grey (1st pic further up - is this the iPad version?)

I actually quite like most of the Evernote redesign but there are a few simple features that seem to have got lost along the way...

Here's a screenshot, sorry it's heavily blurred but hopefully gives context.  Labels A, B, C in red.

A:  Notebook stack, with a number of sub-notebooks.  Can't right-click, which would be the intuitive option.  When I left-click to select, I now know to look for three dots at position C, but nothing appears other than 'sort options' and 'view options' buttons

B:  Individual notebook.  Can't right-click.  When I left-click to select, the three dots do appear at position C.  Not an intuitive place to put rename options, but at least it's there once we know where to look.

Screenshot1.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mark. said:

A:  Notebook stack, with a number of sub-notebooks.  Can't right-click, which would be the intuitive option.  When I left-click to select, I now know to look for three dots at position C, but nothing appears other than 'sort options' and 'view options' buttons

You can only rename stacks from the main notebooks window. See my post on this thread on 21st October. I've copied the screenshot here:

image.png.6891aa10787f4f5c0ed67bc237af8f9a.png

2 hours ago, Mark. said:

Hi Mike, my screen doesn't look like the screenshot you posted.  How can I navigate there?  Are you using the Windows 10 app?

Yes I'm using the Windows 10 app. You need to click "Notebooks" in the left hand sidebar. For completeness there is an equivalent menu for tags obtained by clicking "Tags". Neither of them are obvious.

First, it's been nearly impossible to find any help on this topic. Second, when I do find help, it's not helpful. I keep reading, "Right click". Well, that does absolutely nothing. No menu comes up. There aren't three dots next to my stacks, either, even when I hover the mouse/pointer over the stack I want to rename. I'm on a MacBook. It's OS is 14.0.2. The Evernote version is 10.5.7. 

And please don't tell me I have to move all my stuff around to make a new stack. That is absurd. Especially as I JUST subscribed to premium, which I'll have no problem canceling if that's all the response I get. How incredibly inept to "update" a software but make an extremely basic function like renaming unusable. To make me pay for something I have to do more work on, using time I don't have.

I'm including screenshots of both the app and the website. This is fully expanded sidebar. I can't demonstrate the lack of dots when I hover my mouse but trust me, they never show up, and nothing at all happens when I right click.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 8.13.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 8.13.49 AM.png

1. Click 'Notebooks'
  2. You will see the list of all Stacks and Notebooks within them
  3. To the right hand side of the Stack you want to rename, click the 'three dots'
  4. Select the Option Rename Stack
  5. Type a new Name
  6. Click Save
  • Like 1

It still took me a minute but I figured out what you meant and did it. Thank you for the help.

But I've had to do this a couple times the past few months, and call me stupid but I can never remember. Why can't I just right click the name and change it? It would really be nice if Evernote would make this simpler, just allow us to select the stack or notebook in question on the sidebar and change it as we go.

But again, thank you. I fixed the stack I was looking at.

I can't answer the why we can't do that, there may be a technical reason, it may have been tried and ruled out by an earlier test group - it is the same on the 4 platforms I use though, Web, PC, Mac and iOS [don't go anywhere near Android] - and at the end of the day thats the end result they were shooting for 'uniformity'.  It's maybe muscle memory required 😀

Pink Elephant: Thanks for educating us how to rename and delete stacks.

General comment: Holy virgin mother of God.  You've got to be kidding me.  Those features couldn't be more buried in the UI if you planned it at the design stage.  But wait!  It's a brand new version, so this 'feature' was planned at the design stage!

Hey Evernote team:

1.  Some really nice features in version 10.  However, you released version 10 way too soon without sufficient usability testing (as evidenced by the confusion here, and on other topics).  As a former software exec, I have seen this all the time.  The developer attitude is "let's make it cool!" instead of "let's make it work."

2.  Bring back right-clicks in Windows.  I'm reasonably certain that the right-click is a basic Microsoft Windows application development requirement (that has been ignored here).

Cheers.

• Level 5

When discussing UI, always keep in mind this version of EN is practically a browser session, in which the EN client is nested. I am no developer, but probably this restricts the GUI capabilities to those the framework (browser environment) allows for. When I right click on an item in a browser window, I do not get the OS options, but the browser options. Since EN should be as similar as possible on different platforms, they will probably not follow Windows or Mac GUI design principles.

This is not to say I like it this way, but many things in the new client obviously are following their own internal rules.

It may have been tried and ruled out by an earlier test group - it is the same on the 4 platforms I use thoughweb, PC, Mac and iOS [don't go anywhere near Android] - and at the end of the day that's the end result they were shooting for 'uniformity'.

How to get to "the Notebook Page":  In the left panel, the folder that contains all notebooks and note stacks is labeled "Notebooks".  Clicking on that folder brings you to a completely different page (there is no View > Notebooks in my version of Evernote 10.9.10 on Mac).  This page lists all the notebooks and at the far right is a three-dot "more" menu.  That is where you can rename the stack.  

Let me correct my post slightly.  The page lists all of the note stacks, and to the far right each has its own three-dot menu that, when hovered over, says "more actions". It's a pretty cool page. You can expand the note stacks to see the notebooks, you can expand the notebooks to see the notes, and they all have a corresponding "more actions" menu.

7 hours ago, Greg Watkins said:

The page lists all of the note stacks, and to the far right each has its own three-dot menu that, when hovered over, says "more actions".

And, in more recent versions, you can also right click the notebook or stack to get similar options.

• Like 1

whoops, hit send too fast.

10.10.5-mac-ddl-public (2487)
Editor: v120.1.15587
Service: v1.31.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

No sure how long its been going on but I noticed the problem after the most recent update.

Yeah that worked, thank you. I never work in Notebook view so it hadn't occurred to me. Would be nice to be able to do that from the sidebar but at least I know how to do it now!

• Like 1

It seems Evernote is reducing functionality to match Evernote on the Mac.  Over the years I have gotten a bunch of Mac users to adopt Evernote, but it was always so clunky to explain to them how to do things like rename notebooks, because right clicking was not made available to them in the Mac version.   Looks like Evernote has decided to make the Windows and Mac versions converge by a least common denominator approach.

This is unfortunate.  The core concept  of a graphical user interface is that you see something of interest, and you interact with it to explore, edit it or activate it.  Right clicking was an obvious action for a hand on a mouse, double clicks good too. 

Now, with the new Evernote,  you see/find a notebook in the sidebar, and realize you should change its name.  Stop -think what type of things this is - a note book.  Traverse the GUI to find where Notebooks can be managed - the Notebooks root.  Which, if you are a long down your sidebar, will be off screen.  But navigate there.  Then find the note book you wanted to work on (not helped by the bizarre defaulting inside Note Books) , then finally right click it.  Clearly a more efficient interface than right clicking the Notebook in the sidebar.

Many thanks to DTLow for describing the new required SOP! - I was stumped.  Had not thought of the sad Mac SOP.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Seattlitte said:

Which, if you are a long down your sidebar, will be off screen. 

Did you notice my sidebar view in the screenshot    
I run with a minimal sidebar; all icons are in view   
I longpress mouse-over a notebook/tag icon for tree navigation

38 minutes ago, tsmartin said:

Is there not an option to be able to rename a stack in Windows V10?  You can right click in the Legacy version and there is a rename option.

What like this:

image.png.96e6111e0316e20a1cae10339bb3f211.png

You need to be in the main notebook screen obtained by clicking notebooks in the sidebar. You can't do it from the sidebar anymore.

• Like 1

It's completely ridiculous that there's a thread this long re: renaming a stack.  Why did the developers make it so hard?  Why can't you just right-click a stack and rename it??  I've had Evernote for many years and the interface is still baffling.  The hoops you have to jump through just to reorganize notes into stacks is insane.  How hard is it to code drag-and-drop?

On 1/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, sdeez said:

Why can't you just right-click a stack and rename it??

Like this?

image.png.c64ac4ce62efd92dd82d8ba1890c15e0.png

This is from the sidebar on Windows v10.30.6 (but also is there in Mac v10.31.6). Perhaps they added it recently? I can't remember the last time I tried to rename a stack.

• Level 5

Go to the notebook section in the side panel, click on notebooks.

Select the stack in the notebook view, click on the 3 dots, choose rename from the dropdown menu.

So far the same. The Mac client lists in addition F2 behind the rename option - but it does not seem to work.

Maybe another Mac user can give it a try.