Adding a tag to multiple notes

I selected 10 notes at random and added a single tag to them all using the blue multi-select menu. I did this three times on different notes. It took between 12 and 15 seconds (yes seconds not milli seconds) from pressing save to complete the operation. I tried the same operation in  the legacy version and it was instantaneous but obviously still needed to sync. Also using the legacy version a search for the tag immediately brought up the 10 notes whereas in the new version it took some additional time for indexing etc. And this is an improvement how exactly? This is not rendering a complex 3D model. This is adding the same short string of text in 10 places in a database.

• Like 2

I’m experiencing exactly this and it makes the new app unbearable to use. The old app does all these things virtually instantaneously. 
Everything the new app does without exception is much much slower, less intuitive, simply broken or totally missing. It’s staggering what they have come out with. I understand it was written from scratch, well it’s a poor copy indeed, not worthy of the name Evernote. Developers, I’m not joking when I say this new app is unusable, doesn’t that bother you? It should. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, performanceext said:

I'm having an issue of even creating tags. Do you have steps for doing this? I can only select from preexisting ones.

Easiest way is from the main tags menu which you get to by clicking the tag icon in the sidebar. You can then use the create tag icon or use the three dots menu beside an existing tag to add a tag within the hierarchy. You can also do things like drag tags around to create or change the hierarchy.

image.png.2d7edc4175cb68e4729c9c3d7beb0c72.png

You can also create tags on the fly at the bottom of a note. If you type something which is not an existing tag EN will create the tag.

17 minutes ago, performanceext said:

Thank you for your quick response!

Here's what my screen looks like when I select the tags option:

image.png.18e0f27092d5ca768ec5b990e0018009.png

There's no image.png.3ae9d4c681aeebf3d2b4a8bfa68a3305.png . I've also tried creating tags on the fly at the bottom of the note and it doesn't give me the option either. 

Something about being a business subscriber perhaps? Are you in a shared notebook where you do not have permission to add tags? Try a different notebook or create one and see if that helps. I have to admit I don't know much about the business subscription so I could be completely wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't able to add tags to my own notebooks/notes I created. After a few days of checking, the option to add a tag finally showed up. 

This is a major problem with EN, as nothing seems to be consistent through all platforms. It's disappointing that this product was released and we're paying for it, but it isn't delivering on the most basic level.

23 minutes ago, performanceext said:

It's disappointing that this product was released and we're paying for it, but it isn't delivering on the most basic level.

To preserve my sanity, I'm paying for 6.25 and continuing to beta test a product that EN are pretending is not a beta.

• Haha 1

If I was new to note taking apps and compared EN v10 to OneNote, I would choose OneNote. After 11 years as an a happy EN premium user, I'm sorry to say that. However, after taking v10 for a test drive, I'm back to v6. Regarding tagging, this is the ticket I've opened with EN:

The new app has two main UI tagging changes that make it very clumsy and difficult for me to switch to using it.

In the old app, the "Left Panel" only had a single drag bar which made it easy to scroll through my hierarchy of tags. The entire "Left Panel" gave visibility to my tags from the top to the bottom of the panel. In the new app, a second drag bar (specific for tags) has been embedded into the main drag bar. First, the embedded scroll bar makes the "Left Panel" very clumsy. Second, it severely limits how many tags can be seen at once. I estimate it's only a quarter of the tags that can be seen at once, compared to the old app. I suggest EN remove the embedded drag bar so users can use the entire "Left Panel" to scroll through their tags, like in the old app. Also in the old app, next to each tag was the number of notes assigned to the tag: this has been removed in the new app. I suggest EN put that functionality back in the new app.

The next UI tagging change is in the "Assign Tags" pop-up window. For years (I think since the beginning of EN), tags were listed alphabetically in this window. Now they are listed by tag hierarchy structure. Also, the "Hide unassigned tags" option has been removed. I suggest EN gives users the choice to use either the old alphabetic list (including "Hide unassigned tags" option) or select to use the new hierarchy list.

Maybe EN is trying to make the UI screen look clean and sexy. But for me, EN is a tool and needs to be functional. In the new app, EN has definitely tried to cram too much into the "Left Panel". And completely changing the "Assign Tags" pop-up window's list functionality is an unpleasant experience. For me, the new app makes using EN very clumsy and more time-consuming. For now, I will stay on the old version. Hopefully, EN will put back the legacy methods to navigate and manage tagging notes. If not, I will probably stay on the old version for as long as possible.

If any of this is unclear, I will be happy to provide more information. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Duhtch said:

Also in the old app, next to each tag was the number of notes assigned to the tag: this has been removed in the new app.

That has been reintroduced and is certainly in 10.3.7

1 hour ago, Duhtch said:

I suggest EN gives users the choice to use either the old alphabetic list (including "Hide unassigned tags" option) or select to use the new hierarchy list.

I agree it should be a choice. Sometimes seeing the hierarchy is useful.