Alternatives to Evernote 10

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10. The information has been compiled from the discussions in this forum.  

Notion, OneNote, Keep It, Nimbus, Roam, Standard Notes

Please update the table with what you know. 

I would request the Forum moderator to make this post editable. Thank you. 

I have made my decision. I wish you all the best with yours. 

OneNote
Notion 
Keep It
Nimbus
Roam
Standard Notes
offline storage
yes
no
yes
no

sync button

no

yes

sorting of notebooks
automatic
drag and drop

title", "created date" and "update"

search
fast
fast
fast

OCR
yes
no

tags search
no
yes

batch note import
yes
yes

clipping

yes

document storage

cache location
data drive
system drive

supported
yes
yes

zero knowledge encryption

no

own data

no

price/month

$0

$4.99
expensive

show attachments

Excel

Word

PDF

views

card view

yes

no

list view

yes

yes

speed (compared to EN10)

faster

faster

colour tagging

yes

yes

save searches

tags support

yes

web clipper

yes

yes

Outlook clipper
no
no
no
no
no

send email copy

no

search function

tags

yes

within notebook

yes

within stacks

no

features

notes

yes

tags

yes

stacks

yes

print capability

single notes

no

multiple notes

no

sort

creation date

yes

modify date

yes

title

yes

ascending

yes

descending

yes

relevance

shortcut keys

yes

Electron app
no
yes

yes

Window 10 app

yes
?
yes

Mac OS app

yes
yes

Note count shown
on notebook

no

yes

can open multiple notes

no

no

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, waspnwisky said:

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10. The information has been compiled from the discussions in this forum.  

OneNote
Notion 
Keep It
Nimbus
Roam
Standard Notes
offline storage
yes
no
yes
no

sync button

no

yes

sorting of notebooks
automatic
drag and drop

title", "created date" and "update"

search
fast
fast
fast

OCR
yes
no

tags search
no
yes

batch note import
yes
yes

clipping

yes

document storage

cache location
data drive
system drive

supported
yes
yes

zero knowledge encryption

no

own data

no

price/month

$0

$4.99
expensive

show attachments

Excel

Word

PDF

views

card view

yes

no

list view

yes

yes

speed (compared to EN10)

faster

faster

colour tagging

yes

yes

save searches

tags support

yes

web clipper

yes

yes

Outlook clipper
no
no
no
no
no

send email copy

no

search function

tags

yes

within notebook

yes

within stacks

no

features

notes

yes

tags

yes

stacks

yes

print capability

single notes

no

multiple notes

no

sort

creation date

yes

modify date

yes

title

yes

ascending

yes

descending

yes

relevance

shortcut keys

yes

Electron app
no
yes

yes

Window 10 app

yes
?
yes

Mac OS app

yes
yes

Note count shown
on notebook

no

yes

can open multiple notes

no

no

Hi. I don't know that the post can be made editable by anyone else. At least, not by me. Sorry. 

• Level 5

Notes of other users can't be made editable.

One way to do something like this would be to create a publicly shared document in one of the cloud services, and place the link here. However, this means anybody can access, alter and probably delete it.

• Like 1

I would suggest adding Evernote as a column to this table, as that is what we're actually comparing all the others to. Right?

As a side note, I'm hugely disappointed in the V10 of Evernote, but recently paid for my annual subscription. I'm going to be watching all these comparison threads closely and if Evernote doesn't come up to at least the same level of features, reliability, speed, etc as the other higher-ranked options within a few months, I probably will jump ship, too. 

This breaks my heart, as I was once an Evernote evangelist to friends, family members, and co-workers. Now I literally tell them to stay away. Sad.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, waspnwisky said:

This will take some work to maintain, but will be helpful to others.  I would also suggest adding DEVONthink, Apple Notes and Bear to the list, and maybe posting this on Google docs.  Posts here aren't editable by anyone other than the poster.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I do love the drama of these threads - if you've made your decision why don't you just carry on with what ever you've decided to do?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I found this comparison helpful. There are bits and pieces all over the forums. Many people in Evernote currently feel overwhelmed. I have found Notion to be very good. I will not be updating the table here but somebody else might like to put it on Google Drive or such. One correction to the table should be made - Notion costs $5 per month for unlimited file uploads (PDF, etc) and that will be needed. I hope you find it helpful. This forum is the best place for people looking for solutions. Forums are often monitored by product development too. This table could benefit many. 
Notion shows that Electron does not need to be slow. This is a killer for me as is using an unsupported product. Evernote 10 has no roadmap and with missing functionality resulted in the collapse of my workflow. 
The paradigm of a desktop app is flawed too. Notion is just as fast, if not faster, in a Chrome browser. Chrome is the new OS - why talk about Windows 10 or Mac OS - everything runs in tabs in Chrome. In a browser, you can have any number of tabs open for Notion - not surprisingly. Integration between web apps is through APIs - work like a dream. Why download/upload the data when it is already in the cloud. 
 I was stuck in the daily routine did not consider other options. I have probably wasted too much time stuck with a dated concept. I am grateful,  however, that I have come to realise that. 
I have made my decision. I wish you all the best with yours. There are so many good apps out there. 🙂

5 hours ago, Metrodon said:

I do love the drama of these threads - if you've made your decision why don't you just carry on with what ever you've decided to do?

I for one find it useful to get others perspectives, and benefit from their experience.  I'm in the same boat - I think v10 is fundamentally broken and I've reverted back to Legacy while I look at alternatives.  I've been a rusted on (10 year) subscriber, but I've lost all confidence in the product with v10.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, waspnwisky said:

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10.

For myself, I consider the top alternative to Evernote 10    
is Evernote Legacy

I'll  monitor v10 and possibly switch after this initial work is completed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, DTLow said:

is Evernote Legacy

I thought so, too, initially, but have now migrated to Devonthink as I have simply lost trust in EN. will be hard to win folks like me back to EN even if they get their act together eventually. so many of us have / had a strong emotional bond with EN, which is odd to say about a piece of software, yet it holds true for me. but once one realizes that other tools are good, too, maybe even better this is likely becoming a one way street...

but then again, hey, I have migrated my data away, de-installed the EN browser plugin and the mobile app and am still posting on the EN forums, so maybe not all is lost (yet)...:-D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, toao said:

so many of us have / had a strong emotional bond with EN, which is odd to say about a piece of software, yet it holds true for me.

This is so true for me too!! So odd but it really is true. Right now I am messing with Nimbus and I think it does a lot of things right but I just can't bring myself to leave Evernote. Is it the elephant, is the colors, is it my 28K notes? :) I don't know but I am really hoping for V10 to be a great app very soon and I am not feeling this unease anymore.

• Level 5

Currently many of us have discovered that EN legacy although not really developed further in 2 years is not so bad in the end.

Plus I see potential in v10, not for every use case and every user, but at least for me.

So for the time being, I use a combination of v10 on iOS and legacy on Mac and Windows. There is no need to rush things, while v10 evolves. I have doubts regarding several aspects that are important for me, but maybe there will be some positive surprise for a change. Our expectations have been hung low enough for this during the last weeks !

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

is Evernote Legacy

I also agree that Evernote legacy is still much better than Evernote 10.xx (I am working with a premium and business account). The EN10 has broken some key mechanisms. In order to use a number of tags repeatedly for the same type of notes it was possible in the previous versions of windows 10 Evernote client to recall the notes by a saved search. A new note or document could easily be dragged to the saved search resulting in adding the note while copying the tags of the other notes. We are using this features daily if not hourly.  This is no longer working.

Also the hide unassigned tags button has disappeared while using ctr-alt-T, which makes managing tags between notes undoable.

Than search which is the reason to be for Evernote is now in some small little box on the side......

To mention a few things.....

There's a thread on Reddit as well which is attempting a similar exercise.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/j87fb9/please_help_me_find_the_evernote_alternative/

I think it depends what you're using it for - I tend to use OneNote for note-taking (ie. study notes and similar), and also use it for meeting notes at work, and EN for basically records management - receipts, filing of letters and stuff, tax paperwork.    

An open source alternative is Joplin, which I'm going to have a look at: https://joplinapp.org/

• Like 1

If you by some reasons willing to try some Evernote alternatives this is a list with the best of them.

The legend:

• T.ransition. App has a transition mechanism from Evernote (e.g. *.enex import with metadata).

• O.S. App works and can sync between all OS (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS).

• H.ost. The app can be used with self-hosted storage for notes in a case if development been stopped or cardinally changed the view of the product.

• R.ich. App has a rich editor that means you can add pictures, docs, links, change fonts, lists.

• F.iltering. App has extensive filtering and searching mechanism (e.g. "-tag:A tag:B any: tag:C tag:D todo:False")

• S.earch. The app can search all text in notes and attached documents.

• M.anaging. App has some tools for managing tags if you have many of them (e.g. trees of tags, a separate window for tags).

• C.lipper. App has a browser clipper and a snapshot tool.

• V.iew. App has a cards view like Old Evernote has and simple separated window for one note.

• E.xport. The app can export and import the database in a format comparable with other note-taking apps.

• B.ig. The app can handle large amounts of notes at once (e.g. moving, changing tags, merging, deleting).

• P.rivate. App has encryption or some private solutions that prevent developers from reading your content.

So if you see these letters UPPERCASE, it means the app has a feature; otherwise, it doesn't. In the beginning, all letters will be lowercase. If you see all letters lowercase and the app name doesn't have a link, it means I haven't checked this app yet. Please, help me if you can.

• 10 TOhRFSMCVEBp Evernote Old

• 10 TohRFSMCVEBP Keep It (see post)

• 9 TOHRFSmcvEBP Joplin (see post)

• 7 tOHRFsmcVEbP Turtl

• 6 TOHRfSmcvebP Standard Notes

• 6 TOhRFsmcVEbp Notion

• 6 TOhRfSmcvEbP Amplenote (see post)

• 5 TOhRfSmCvebp Nimbus Note

• 5 TOhRfSmCvebp OneNote

• 5 tOhRFSmcvEbp Workflowy

• 5 toHRFSmcvEbp TiddlyWiki

• 5 toHRFSmcvEbp Obsidian

• 5 toHRFSmcvebP Trilium (see post)

• 4 TOhRfSmcvebp Evernote New

• 4 toHrfSmcVebP SilentNotes (see post)

• 3 TOhrfSmcvEbp Simplenote

• 3 tOhRfSmcvebp DropBox Paper

• 3 tOhRfSmcvebp ProofHub

• 2 tOhRfsmcvebp Clipto

• 2 tOhRfsmcvebp WizNote

• 2 tOhrfSmcvebp Google Keep

• 2 tohRfSmcvebp Remnote

• 1 tOhrfsmcvebp Nebo

• 1 tohRfsmcvebp ClickUp

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Noteshelf

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Boostnote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Tettra

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp CintaNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notejoy

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Quip

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Box Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Todoist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp GoodNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Milanote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Squid Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zotero

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Day One

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zoho Notebook

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp WhizFolders

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp NoteLedge

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zim

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp CherryTree

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Paperwork

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notezilla

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp TagSpaces

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Dynalist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Leanote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Polar

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp QOwnNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zenkit

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp SynapBook

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Org-Mode

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp WeDo

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Supernotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Checkvist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Nuclino

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Omni-Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Taskade

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notability

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Cryptee

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Slite

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notable

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp ColorNote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Cronycle

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Laverna

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Falcon

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Scrivener

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Airstory

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Lumhaa

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zettlr

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Hugo

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp FSNotes App

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp SilentNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp GigaNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Typora

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp notebooksapp.com

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Bear

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Roam

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Codegiant

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp DEVONthink

Original post you can find here

Thanks. Does anyone have first hand experience with Joplin? I'm really unhappy with the latest version. It's clear that they did not think through tags at all, and those of us who use them as a hierarchy (because EN doesn't have a decent notbook hierarchy for no good reason) are in trouble.

BEWARE. If you use tag hierarchies, you may have noticed that some notes can no longer been seen by browsing it. Browsing to a tag that is not at the bottom of the hierarchy will not show you notes with that tag - only subsidiary tags. That means that notes you could previously find have vanished from their normal place, and if they only have that one tag, have vanished from the tag hierarchy entirely.

And, it is not easy, given the weak tags UI, to find those notes and fix them. You can only find them with a search. The procedure is:

• Bring up the overall tags directory (click on "Tags" in the left pane).
  • Look for tags that have non-zero notes and subsidiary tags. Those tags have hidden notes.
  • Create a new tag that will hold the hidden notes
    • As far as I can tell, you can only do that by adding the tag to a note, then finding the tag in the summary, clicking on the "..." and moving it to where it needs to be. Drag and drop are missing, as is the right mouse button functions, for pretty much the whole weak tags UI!
  • Now go to the search bar and put in the tag they are hiding under. A list of notes will appear - SOME of which are of interest
  • For each note
    • Put in the new tag where they will live
    • remove the old tag
2 hours ago, Katz said:

Yes, I've chosen Joplin as the closest alternative to Evernote. You can ask any questions if you need. Or you can use Joplin discussion.

Joplin is looking like a front runner for me.  Can I ask, do you use a document scanner?  A pretty major part of what I do with EN is scan in any mail and receipts and use as a virtual filing cabinet/records management system.  I'm trying to see if anyone has any feedback on this use case, although I might just have to have a play around on it and see how it goes.

38 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Can I ask, do you use a document scanner?

I use an Android phone for scanning, so my choice is Adobe Scan. I like it much better than Evernote because of accurate clipping and the ability to scan into one PDF or separate JPGs. For example, I scan all receipts using my phone into JPG and then paste it into Joplin.

But another alternative is do it automatically, that is discussed here.

23 minutes ago, Katz said:

But another alternative is do it automatically, that is discussed here.

Legend, thank you.  That looks like I'll need to do a little tinkering, but will probably do what I need.  Appreciate the tip!

Anyone tried Trilium? Its a really good note taking app. I have been playing around with it but it does need setup as I installed it on my server. But, there are features missing compared to Evernote. I think its a given that there are no note apps that will match Evernote pre-v10. But its good enough!

Check it out: https://github.com/zadam/trilium

I have just uninstalled the new Evernote 10 for Windows and reinstalled what is now called Legacy Evernote. 

Evernote 10 on Windows is completely unusable.   Waiting several minutes after startup before being able to see any note.  Several minutes more to switch from one note to another.  Search function never responds.  It is much quicker to use Evernote in a Web browser (by the way, I have a very fast Internet connection so that is not the problem with the new Windows version).  

Then I found that import folders were no longer supported, a feature that I have depended heavily on for years, especially for direct input from my scanner..   This is a showstopper.

Also it is not clear that I could ever re-open my locally archived notebooks (material that I no longer want to appear in the app or searches).

If the "Legacy", ie functional, version is not developed in future, I will have to stop my subscription after 10 years and move all my notes to OneNote (which I already use at work).   

For those, like me, who have become disgruntled Evernoters (in my case, Premium since mid-2008), and who have been sorely disappointed with these latest "upgrades" to v10 on all platforms, I've been searching for a suitable alternative.  I've been looking for something that does what Evernote has traditionally done well - act as a brain/memory extension.

I've played with Notion, DevonThink, OneNote, Apple Notes, Roam Research, and a few others.  None of these quite fits the bill as a close Evernote replacement, either on my Macs, on my work Win10 PC, my iPad, or my iPhone. In each of those, something is missing - eg offline notes and notebooks, ability to email INTO your account, or email a note OUT OF your account, etc etc.

I have now come across the app which comes closest by far to the spirit of the golden years of Evernote.

Check out Notejoy.  No, I'd never heard of it either, until somebody among all the Evernote disgruntled on Twitter mentioned it, and I've been giving it a try.  They are due to release a direct Evernote import utility in the next month, and they are just about to add the feature of being able to email a note to somebody else.  You can already email anything you want INTO Notejoy.

I've been on real-time chat with one of their team, and they seem extremely responsive and keen to get more widely known, and to fill in the gap left by the demise of Evernote as we knew it.  From what I've seen so far, in about a week of playing with it, it really does seem about as close as I've got to a true Evernote replacement.  In addition, it DOES allow you to have video clips in notes, unlike Evernote where most of my clips that contain video are stored as either a blank frame or just a URL.

Check out Notejoy - I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever. I hadn't even heard of them until a few days ago.

https://notejoy.com/?r=3dbadf18dbff

EDIT: Extra disclaimer - I just discovered that the referral link above carries a small credit towards Notejoy subscription if it results in somebody else joining, which I didn't know when I posted the above.  Hence this extra disclaimer.  But don't let that put you off (it's actually a good thing).  Just overnight (in my time zone) they added the ability to directly email notes to other people, who do not need Notejoy to receive and read them.

https://notejoy.com/releases?id=261

On 10/30/2020 at 1:37 AM, jowett2001 said:

Then I found that import folders were no longer supported, a feature that I have depended heavily on for years, especially for direct input from my scanner..   This is a showstopper.

Hello, it sounds like your use case may be similar to mine.  Much of what I put into Evernote is scanned receipts/documents from a Scansnap scanner.  How have you found that works with OneNote - are you able to give any tips?  For instance, at the moment I have a Filing and a Receipts folder for each financial year, and I just dump them in there and tag as needed (eg. if it may be something I can claim on tax it goes into Tax 2021 folder).  

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Much of what I put into Evernote is scanned receipts/documents from a Scansnap scanner.  How have you found that works with OneNote - are you able to give any tips?  For instance, at the moment I have a Filing and a Receipts folder for each financial year, and I just dump them in there and tag as needed (eg. if it may be something I can claim on tax it goes into Tax 2021 folder). 

Outlook  OneNote tips should be discussed in the Outlook OneNote forums   
My use in Evernote   
- a single 'Filing Cabinet" notebook
- Receipts (scanned or email) are tagged with !Type-Receipt     
- Also tags for vendor and budget category    
- A !Taxyyyymmdd tag if appropriate   
- The note title is prefixed with the subject date

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Outlook tips should be discussed in the Outlook forums   
My use in Evernote   
- a single 'Filing Cabinet" notebook
- Receipts (scanned or email) are tagged with !Type-Receipt     
- Also tags for vendor and budget category    
- A !Taxyyyymmdd tag if appropriate   
- The note title is prefixed with the subject date

I'm not sure what you mean about Outlook?

Thanks for your response, but I'm trying to get an idea of how to do what I'm currently doing in Evernote in OneNote, since Evernote is now broken and I am looking at alternatives.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Big Trev said:

I'm not sure what you mean about Outlook?

Thanks for your response, but I'm trying to get an idea of how to do what I'm currently doing in Evernote in OneNote, since Evernote is now broken and I am looking at alternatives.

Currently there seem to be two main strategies: Move away to other apps or use legacy EN apps until v10 gained maturity.

Both are in fact playing with the future, the first by switching to often smaller, less established competitors (or large ones with a history, like MS), the other with the ability of the EN team to get things fixed and improved.

Personally I am currently fine with using legacy. Where I transitioned (iOS) I was positively surprised by the latest release 10.1. Not yet there (or even close), but moving to a stable and feature-rich app.

Yes, 10.2 seems encouraging to be honest. If it means a slow trickle of returning functionality, I'll wait. With the appsumo Nimbus deal, I've taken a serious look at Nimbus and I've really got new doubts from what I've read. It's just not there yet.

Right now, then, as you put so well @PinkElephant , I'm considering either jumping to Joplin (not Nimbus, now) or waiting for the elephant. I've no imminent renewal deadline though, so I can wait for a while.