Evernote 10: paradigm shift required

Here is my experience of Evernote 10 after 5 days. 
40 years ago, as a young student, I work on a dumb terminal in batch mode on a PDP11. The jobs ran overnight and were ready the next day. 
In batch mode, nothing happens immediately. You work through what you need to do carefully and double-check everything is right because much time is lost if it must be done again.
Evernote 6.25 and earlier versions were very fast with a good PC as the data was local and the changes instantaneous. I got into the habit of just typing away and if there were any problems I would fix it up later. Speed is of the essence.
That is the benefit of immediacy. Getting it right becomes an iterative process. Ctrl-z just reflex.
Now we have Evernote 10 and I find I am back into batch mode. Updating a record (note) takes just as long, whether I make ONE change or TEN. Writing to the server is a slow process and it can take minutes to get back to you. Better get it right the first time. 
Adding a tag becomes an adventure. For example, I thought it nice to add the tag YouTube to the notes that contain video. 
With 6 years of data and 11,000 notes. Some have 50,000 notes or more and 14GB data. 
SELECTION LIMIT
The first problem is the 50 note select limit but this can be fixed. Evernote 10 does not have a settings menu yet but the settings are there in a local JSON file. Edit the JSON file to increase the limit from 50 to 5000 or whatever works best for you.
TAG SEARCHES
To find the notes I used the following search: YouTube -tag:YouTube tag:video. Find me the notes containing video from YouTube which have not already been tagged. Sure, the search is trivial but it is a test.
The display of the search results was weird as the first note had the tag YouTube on it. (I could not reproduce this problem.) The presentations of notes with Evernote 10 is laggy. Tens of seconds pass for the search results to stabilise. Until then things seem to keep popping up. It seems though the old search syntax does work though. Negations (-tag:YouTube), in particular, are not offered within new search menu. The search seems to function by narrowing down the options - boolean AND function - with types tag, notebook, and text. 
GLOBAL SELECTION
Could I now select all notes? The note list scrolled way off the screen or will I still get the first screen full typical for browsers? Ctrl-A marked 398. There is no select all button that I can tell. I added the tag YouTube to the notes, which require considerably more left button clicking than I used to- what previously was done completely with the keyboard. 
COFFEE BREAK
A nice little sand timer appears the screen, giving me time to think about what I had just achieved. I went and grabbed my salad and returned to the computer to watch it some more. The fan on the computer was quite loud. This is hard work. After a bit, it was finished. 
TESTING THE RESULT
Applying the same search now no gave me a NULL list. It seems to have worked. 
WORKAROUND
While the sand timer is running, you cannot do anything else on Evernote 10 in that window. Evernote 10 does not permit tabs but multiple instances of Evernote 10 in a new window is possible. I can alternate between jobs that are running, checking occasionally, to see if they are cooking.
I am not sure whether I would call Evernote 10 a productivity software but it does work and only crashes sometimes. Nothing happens fast, nothing is immediate. If this is what "cloud" means, then my feelings are mixed. We sacrifice performance so that it will work on our smartphones. 

• Like 4