Evernote after the first week of use.

Vitaliy Grinchuk

Idea

I immediately apologize for the clumsy language, English is not my native language.

I've been using Evernote for 9 years. During this time, the "elephant" has become my main working tool. In the beginning it was rather difficult to switch from the tree structure of folders to tags, but in the end it played a decisive role. During this 9 years, I saw a lot that happened with Evernote: good and bad, but there was always movement forward. They often write about productivity on their blog and it's true. Evernote allowed you to work very quickly with any amount of information, take notes with cross-tags, customize the interface for yourself, and much more. Now, unfortunately, I see how Evernote is degrading.

I like the new design of notes. I like the new tag bar. I like the new text highlighting. Everything else makes me angry. Because Evernote doesn't want to be productive anymore.

For example, colored tags. If you are using Evernote for more complex tasks than saving recipes, color tags are a very good way to handle multitasking. A quick glance at a work notebook allows you to visually assess what needs to be done and what has already been done. Yes, I can open the tags panel or enter the tag into the search, but is it more productive than not clicking anywhere at all?

click.thumb.jpg.e7e8213ba3e3c5cb520d413f2174da63.jpg

Stupid 4096 character limit when selecting tags. For 9 years I have accumulated more than 30,000 notes, most of which I need for work. For orientation by notes, I use tags and tag groups. Let's say the recent debate between Trump and Biden includes 4 tags: Donald Trump, Joe Biden, electoral manipulation, debate. All of these tags are included in larger groups. For example, Politicians / US Politicians / Donald Trump. The sub-tag "US Politicians" contains over 100 names. Now I cannot select them all at once because there is a character limit. I am asked to add a parent tag to a note. Wonderful. Now instead of 4 tags, I'll add 7 or 8. This is very productive.

Wonderful "productive" design of the new Evernote. Thanks to the developers, I now see half the information in the sidebar. But a third of the panel is given for elements that are not needed there at all. God, this is counter-productive! You were probably not picked up on the street, but you graduated from some design school, read books about ergonomics and interfaces, user experience?

click2.thumb.jpg.2de4243f19bb684df7eecb8ec1747be7.jpg

I also got a new, productive way to sync. I am typing, a sync error occurs and the typed text disappears. Excellent. Return local notebooks.

I use Evernote on several devices, but mostly on a 13-inch laptop, which is convenient to carry around in my bag. This is quite a powerful laptop on which I edit videos, photos and play Warcraft at the highest graphics settings. But it is overheating right now when I type this text. I don’t understand how a note taker can consume more than 1 GB of RAM. It's just text, not a 3D rendering of the model.

Hey guys, you are killing Evernote. You made the right decision to standardize all versions, but the implementation just sucks. Maybe you should remove productivity articles from your blog and replace them with gardening articles?

• Like 7

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Thanks for posting your perspective - from user to user. I have decided to stick with the „legacy“ version on Windows and Mac for the next time. Unfortunately there is no way back on my iOS devices. It is not all negative, but some issues are really annoying.

If you need specific changes for your workflow, think about posting support tickets, one ticket for each headache. The forum is mainly user-to-user, so probably a support ticket is a better way to send structured information to EN.

Whether basic design decisions will be altered I have my doubts. But hope always dies last ...

P.S. Everything o.k. with your language skills ! No need to excuse yourself, what for ? For a change ask how man native English speakers master at least one foreign language ...

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for posting your perspective - from user to user. I have decided to stick with the „legacy“ version on Windows and Mac for the next time. Unfortunately there is no way back on my iOS devices. It is not all negative, but some issues are really annoying.

If you need specific changes for your workflow, think about posting support tickets, one ticket for each headache. The forum is mainly user-to-user, so probably a support ticket is a better way to send structured information to EN.

Whether basic design decisions will be altered I have my doubts. But hope always dies last ...

P.S. Everything o.k. with your language skills ! No need to excuse yourself, what for ? For a change ask how man native English speakers master at least one foreign language ...

I have no doubt that the developers will fix minor bugs. But globally, this is a different product. Not the product that the 10 Evernote Alternatives wrote about. Now Evernote has become an alternative to itself. I do not see any other way to convey outrage to the management of the company, except for the forum and public messages. You are absolutely right - technical support will not help with this.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

Stupid 4096 character limit when selecting tags. For 9 years I have accumulated more than 30,000 notes, most of which I need for work. For orientation by notes, I use tags and tag groups. Let's say the recent debate between Trump and Biden includes 4 tags: Donald Trump, Joe Biden, electoral manipulation, debate. All of these tags are included in larger groups. For example, Politicians / US Politicians / Donald Trump. The sub-tag "US Politicians" contains over 100 names. Now I cannot select them all at once because there is a character limit. I am asked to add a parent tag to a note. Wonderful. Now instead of 4 tags, I'll add 7 or 8. This is very productive.

Worth pointing out that when you do select more than one tag it finds notes which contains all of those tags with no simple option of searching for notes that contain any of the tags. Do you have many notes that contain every single one of your 100 US politicians tags? They have made a very strange decision here.

25 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Worth pointing out that when you do select more than one tag it finds notes which contains all of those tags with no simple option of searching for notes that contain any of the tags. Do you have many notes that contain every single one of your 100 US politicians tags? They have made a very strange decision here.

I have a lot of notes that contain at least one of the children's tags included in at least one major subgroup. And for me it is fundamentally important to have full access to the category. I study propaganda and if it is an easy task to find "Chinese posters of the 40s", then it is already difficult to look through all the propaganda posters - because there are more than 50 tags in the subgroup by country and period. I understand that this is my personal experience and is less important for other users. But there is one more thing. I use Ukrainian and Russian, where words are one and a half to two times longer than English ones. This is a real problem for me.

3 minutes ago, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

I understand that this is my personal experience and is less important for other users.

I think most tag users would like the flexibility to easily to search for notes containing tagA or tagB or tagC rather than being forced to only search for notes containing tagA and tagB and tagC.

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

I think most tag users would like the flexibility to easily to search for notes containing tagA or tagB or tagC rather than being forced to only search for notes containing tagA and tagB and tagC.

That's what I'm talking about: I want to be able to view all notes containing any of the tags in a subcategory. I don't need to look at the notes containing all the tags. I want to do it in one click, I do not want to add additional tags to the note. Just expand the entire list with no character limit. At 6.25 this works great.

• Like 2

As a student for my Masters and for my teaching certification I used the elephant clipper that stack screen shots that I personally wanted and stacked them in the dropdown "little elephant" window. I would then "Save to Evernote" at the conclusion of the lecture. I don't see that working anymore. I can take one shot of the screen and I have to save it immediately. What happened?! Is there no way to stack screen clippings (not screen shots, mind you)?

• Level 5

@barker.brandon@gmail.com 1st issue change or have changed your forum user to something else than your e-mail address. In any public forum bots are collecting e-mail-users for spamming and other malicious uses.

2nd are you talking about the Windows or the Mac client ? This thread is about windows, the function you describe is probably the EN helper on a Mac. This function is among those not yet implemented in v10, but on the list for future releases.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

ask how man native English speakers master at least one foreign language

7 hours ago, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

I use Ukrainian and Russian, where words are one and a half to two times longer than English ones. This is a real problem for me.

As one of those native English speakers in the U.S., I agree with these perspectives. Programmers who come out of the giant monolingual bubble of the U.S. are likely to fail to understand how things work elsewhere in the world, as also evidenced by the posts here regarding spell-checking for people who use more than one language, not just the Windows system language.

I used to teach Greek classes in a theological seminary, where the U.S.-born students were often very anxious about learning a "foreign language," let alone an ancient one. Invariably there would be one or two students from African countries in the class, and I would ask them how many languages they could speak. 4 or 5 was the typical answer. I tried to use this to encourage the worried students that knowing and using more than one language is a normal human experience. Even in the U.S., Native Americans in the state of New Mexico, for instance, ordinarily use 3 languages: Tewa or another indigenous language, Spanish, and English.

Sorry for the thread drift! I think that @Vitaliy Grinchuk and @PinkElephant are pointing out significant issues for a program used internationally but developed primarily by monolingual English speakers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We use Evernote in the Business Edition. It is not quite cheap. Many employees also don't have the Premium Version for their private things. After the accounts were disconnected and after downloading the Windows app and the iOS app, nothing was the same anymore. Notebooks and stacks from the business area were in the private area. Some partly empty. These disappeared after tapping. Some notebooks can not be removed. We quickly deleted the new apps for Windows and iOS before they did any damage and are working with the legacy version. Unfortunately, we no longer have our notes with us on the road. Digitalization doesn't work like that, Ian! A company has to rely on the tool, otherwise it is abandoned! We have spent hours on the video and in the forums, installing, testing and uninstalling. It just doesn't work as it should. Also, in Windows I can't keep personal and business open at the same time. There is also no real support. There is also no outlook how it will go on. We are more than annoyed!

• Like 1