Hate the new Evernote

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

"Justifiably?"  When (except for iOS) you can install a complete fix in 20 minutes or less?

That's more due to the way that App Stores Work,  but since Android is less secure than Apple,  sideloads are a possibility.  See https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/ -or-
https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2259282 for the historic APKs

And knowing how mobile app stores work, Evernote shouldn't have released v10 before it was ready (or before making it very clear to users what they were in for), knowing full well that people who rely heavily on the mobile app could experience significant workflow disruptions.

I know all about the android apk's because I've been providing those links in this forum. But neither you or I can say that an Evernote apk from a third party website if free of malicious software. The only party who can guarantee that is Evernote, and they aren't providing users with a v6 apk, nor are they explaining why they aren't doing so. Taking a risk on a third party app site for a note taking app is not acceptable for some users.

But you are, of course, free to dismiss user complaints as non-justified, while you sit back in the comfort of v6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

So we're accepting this is a real deal now?  While T&C's protect a company from most things,  playing fast and loose with your data during a current subscription is not one of them.  Last time I had a provider 'suggest' another company was ready to look after my account because they were going out of business,  I had to opt IN to that deal a couple of months before it happened. 

If you have any concerns about your Evernote data,  just keep a regular backup (possible through the Legacy options,  the last public releases and third party apps like Backupery and CloudHQ).  You will almost certainly have time to get a final copy before you pull the plug if that's what you want to do,  but you're covered if not.

And if anything happens you don't like - go find your friendly local Data Protection body;  those fine people have the power to impose some eye-watering fines if they want to.

In any event all of this is just locker-room chatter - and don't forget that Evernote's hungry young competitors will be relishing this fuss and palaver,  and possibly adding a bit of fuel to the fire from time to time. 

The more uncertain Evernote's users are,  the more likely they are to move away to someone more deserving of their subscriptions.  Us paying users are quite a valuable resource. 

Which is why it's so dumb of Evernote to leave everyone hanging!

am all fine with what you are saying, it's simply that I do not trust EN any more after what I have experienced over the last few months - both product as well as communications wise....I do have backups I could re-instate in the very unlikely case I would want to come back, but I do not want to leave my data with EN even on the pure speculation of them considering data mining...wild guess? probably, but would you have guessed in august or september what was about to come?

am very happy with Devonthink with all my use cases and will very likely stay there for the coming years...never would have thought that could happen just a few months ago considering my enthusiasm for EN, but so be it....

• Like 2
5 hours ago, toao said:

if we follow this train of thought you will likely not know about a transaction until it is official, which might or might not be too late for saving your data from google

This is unnecessarily and unhelpfully alarmist, IMHO. History shows that there is always advance notice (often months and months of notice) before a major change such as that. And as I said earlier in the thread, Google does not monetize in any way its G Suite products, of which Evernote would almost certainly become part of were it to be acquired by Google.

• Level 5

With Google I am not that sure about GSuite privacy. I run a Pi-Hole on my network, so I see what queries are going out in the background when I call an URL.

Recently somebody send me a GDrive link to download some content. I pasted it to my browser (not Chrome ...) and opened it. Then I took a look at the Pi-holes log (which I do sometimes just to learn about tracking habits). Oooops - there were with that very time stamp several communication attempts with Google analytics servers (all stopped, of course).

The GDrive link opened fine and let me download the content, so this was not an access / security feature. It was good old „G“ snooping on who was calling a Google address, trying to learn more about that IP, device and in the end the user.

All of that is hoarded, for years backwards, just in case it could serve in the future to tag this user even more precisely with whatever marketeers think they can send to enlighten my day.

Conclusion: They track every contact - you can trust that they do. This is the only trust I put into these companies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been reading this thread with a growing sense of foreboding, which has in turn created a growing rage, and finally, resignation (literally).

I've been using EN since 2008 on Mac, Windows and iOS - but mainly on a Mac. It's never been been feature-level across all platforms but has been a joy to use - until now. I have a very slick (IMHO) GTD workflow that works for me. It involves using tags and only really works because I can see a lot of information on a small screen.

The release of 10 has blown that out of the water because of a UI designed for 5yr-olds and loss of features. I've only just noticed because I got a new Mac and was landed with 10.5.7. I've downloaded the legacy app for now, but the clock is ticking.

Some years ago I moved all my non-GTD notes to OneNote because of some other inane design decision (I got fed up with the awful text editor), but EN has been a great GTD app. However, now I've taken the decision to migrate before my plus subscription expires next month and have cancelled the auto-renewal.

During the downgrade, I was asked to give my reasons. They were simple "I've lost too much productivity developing work-arounds for the poor design decisions and implentation in V 10. Basically, don't trust you with my data anymore"

I've started to review alternatives. All I need is a very good GTD app. Even if it means I have to-key, I won't loose as much as I have with V 10. I've looked at DevonThink before. It's good, but Mac-only which is no good. I'm about to look at Joplin.

• Like 2

Why do people assume that migrating to a non-EN platform requires all notes migrated to new platform at once?

Can it not be just take 10% of notes which are most useful and then pull other notes as and when required?

If you have not accessed any note in last 1 year may be those are not important OR you can just leave it in EN and refer back when necessary?

I personally use 3 different apps. Over a period I have moved my stuff out of EN. I still have few hundred notes in EN but it won't be end the world if I lose them.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Vidalia said:

Why do people assume that migrating to a non-EN platform requires all notes migrated to new platform at once?

Can it not be just take 10% of notes which are most useful and then pull other notes as and when required?

Agreed. In fact, for longtime EN users with lots of notes, your approach makes a lot more sense. Why move thousands of notes to a new platform all at once when you can move a few dozen notes (e.g., the notes you're currently using) and create new notes on whatever app you're test driving? If the test drive proves disappointing, it's very easy to move that handful of notes back to EN, and you can rinse and repeat for the next app you want to try. If the test drive is great, you can move the rest of your notes over at your leisure. 

I get that some people are upset and want to leave EN, but moving everything at once to a new note app that you haven't used as a daily driver for some time is a risky move and could compound the stress created by v10 disruptions to workflows. 

I wonder if 200 million is the number of active users, or total number of accounts. I know that in the past 12 years, I’ve created at least 4 separate accounts that I can recall - tried once, forgot about it, then a year later created a new account.. then created another with work email... then created a new one when I ran into issues and wanted to start from scratch...

I suspect that the actual number of active users is more like half of that. 

• Like 1

I've been using the new EN for a few months and it so SLOW and unresponsive I hate it. I've had to many other things on my plate to figure it out. Yesterday, I finally came to the forums and looked into it, and realized it's not me, or my computer, its the app. That's a relief. I downloaded and installed Evernote Legacy and it is positively peppy compared to the new EN. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Recently somebody send me a GDrive link to download some content. I pasted it to my browser (not Chrome ...) and opened it. Then I took a look at the Pi-holes log (which I do sometimes just to learn about tracking habits). Oooops - there were with that very time stamp several communication attempts with Google analytics servers (all stopped, of course).

That's really interesting. Was it a consumer GDrive link, by chance? I'm guessing that an enterprise (G Suite) Google Drive link would not have the same communication attempts. Or if it does, there would be an innocuous reason for them, such as temporary security-related logs that get deleted quickly and don't get used for advertising.

6 hours ago, garethhowell said:

Basically, don't trust you with my data anymore

Not disagreeing. One hard lesson (boy I'm old) 45+ years in computers taught me is trust no one with your data. The list of computers that simply disappeared overnight is endless.

I remember this infamous finger to users from Circus Ponies "If you need a copy of NoteBook 4.0 (3.x and earlier don’t run on OS X El Capitan) or need technical support, you can try sending an e-mail to support@circusponies.com. There’s a chance someone will respond but no guarantees."

• Sad 1
On 1/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, CalS said:

Bingo!  I think the same way.  I don't believe they understood all the ways folks were leveraging the product to get that $70 worth of value.  I've seen some inklings of that realization in the bits of communication so far.  Spun for sure, but there.  Again, here's hoping they right the ship. 

I use EN primarily as a method of record keeping. My wife has her own business and I keep all receipts in Evernote. Electronic receipts can be emailed directly into EN. I have a rather complex system of tags set up, and it works well in EN. I can change the creation date to match the date on a receipt (unfortunately, this became a bit harder with V10).

So far, unlike others, I've had no major problem with V10. I've looked at other software, and anything with the same capability costs as much or more. So in comparison, $70 seems reasonable.

I've looked at Joplin, which is open source and free, but it feel really clunky compared to EN

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, Piotas said:

Joplin team is so fast, it takes hours to patch an issue, not weeks (like in case of Evernote); I use Joplin for new NOTES as well, but for HTML dumps (like grabbing current state of web page - my job consist of IT sales so I have to grab a lot of public tender pages etc) I still use Evernote, because I can dump there more MBs compared to Joplin.

We are moving to Joplin as we speak.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jlady said:

I use EN primarily as a method of record keeping. My wife has her own business and I keep all receipts in Evernote. Electronic receipts can be emailed directly into EN. I have a rather complex system of tags set up, and it works well in EN. I can change the creation date to match the date on a receipt (unfortunately, this became a bit harder with V10).

So far, unlike others, I've had no major problem with V10. I've looked at other software, and anything with the same capability costs as much or more. So in comparison, $70 seems reasonable.

I've looked at Joplin, which is open source and free, but it feel really clunky compared to EN

Use cases do drive how we view the new product.  Glad the new works well for you.  There are too many features missing of which I have become accustomed.  Kind of like going from a $70 steakhouse dinner to a $70 fast food burger for me.  Value proposition not nearly as compelling.  Hence I sit on 6.25.1 and observe the proceedings for now.

I do hope they bring back the bits of feature that folks are requesting, maybe clamoring for, if that isn't too melodramatic.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, TaskClone said:

Can't really disagree with that.  If you're going to punch me in the gut, tell me first.  I won't want to hear it, but it's better than the alternative.  

I'm on the developer side and I guarantee you every time Evernote or OneNote sneeze, we catch a cold.  Right now, syncing doesn't work the same with their new apps.  It sucks and impacts our bottom line.

Just wanted to update that while it was a painful period for us, Evernote's engineering team did fix the sync/webhook issue created with the new apps.  My company and clients are grateful it's over notwithstanding it would have better if it never occurred. 

I continue to believe in 18 months, biting the bullet will be judged the best decision for Evernote.  I wished they had done a much much better job of communicating and not feeling they need to be so secretive about roadmap.  If they told us more about roadmap I don't think it would impact their competitive situation one bit.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, TaskClone said:

I wished they had done a much much better job of communicating and not feeling they need to be so secretive about roadmap.  If they told us more about roadmap I don't think it would impact their competitive situation one bit.

Exactly. Almost everyone gets that unifying the codebase was a pill that had to be swallowed. And Evernote power users are a very patient bunch. Waiting until they had v10 closer to feature parity with v6 and had most of the bugs ironed out, even if it took another 6 months would have been fine. Instead, by foisting this beta onto an unsuspecting public in the form of a general release and breaking many workflows, they have destroyed perhaps the most important aspect in the relationship between note app user and note app developer - trust.

And for what? Any attempt to protect their competitive position has backfired as they will have much larger number of Premium subscriber losses than if they had simply waited another 6 months to release v10. And they'll be forced to support v6 for at least 6 months following the v10 release, so they gained nothing, and lost much.

The v10 release is worthy of a business school case study. An unforced error that the competition is taking great advantage of.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, tavor said:

The v10 release is worthy of a business school case study. An unforced error that the competition is taking great advantage of.

Evernote is already a frequent case study.  I'm sure this whole episode will spawn many more.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, TaskClone said:

Evernote is already a frequent case study.  I'm sure this whole episode will spawn many more.

My note here is totally irrelevant,  but I got an intriguing update email from another company yesterday which is a bit of a model in emotional intelligence...  It's from the developers of JV16,  a Windows 'cleanup' utility.  Note the subtle sales message and the discounts at the end...

I'm very happy to announce the release of jv16 PowerTools - Next Generation - Build 1024 BETA.

You can download it here: <link removed>

This is a BETA version of our upcoming, next generation jv16 PowerTools.  We are releasing this to ask for your feedback. What do you like, what do you dislike?  Do you notice any bugs? What would you change to make it a better program?

Almost exactly one year ago we released the then new jv16 PowerTools with a dramatically changed user interface and more reduced set of features. You, our beloved users, did not entirely love that.

We got a lot of negative feedback about these decisions and based on this, we had to take a long hard look on what we'd done.

First, we've rebuilt the entire user interface. Not only that, we changed the plans of what we want to do with jv16 PowerTools.

In short, we will take the product more towards how it all started, as a set of easy to use but advanced tools, focusing on doing things Windows cannot do.

Making Windows better, basically.

I must be entirely honest with you - the last year was very difficult for us. Not only the things happening around the world and the economy, but the fact that we spent a long time building a new product and at the end, you did not like it. Not only was that hard mentally, it was also difficult for our bottom line.

In fact, I received the numbers from accounting today and last year our sales did not even cover our costs. And the only person I can blame for this is myself. I made the decisions and they were not correct. I can see that now.

But now it is time to look forward.

We spent a lot of time on developing this next generation of jv16 PowerTools. Not only the new user interface, but every single feature is now improved and refined. In terms of accuracy, safety and, of course, performance.

That being said, please remember this is still a BETA level software and it will have bugs. You should only use this version in a system that you can restore in case something goes wrong.

There are two major features that did not yet make it to this first BETA version.

We have a brand new Internet Optimizer and brand new Automatic Updates features. Both rebuilt from scratch to address the issues you have been reporting. These two features are not yet included in this version. They are 99% done and will be included to the next released BETA version.

I hope you will give this version a try and let us know what you think. Because, you are the reason why we are doing this.

And if you like where we are going with jv16 PowerTools, please consider buying a license. After the release of this new version, we will probably need to increase the prices of any new licenses to try to cover our costs and buying now would secure you the lower price point. Thank you.

Get a Lifetime License for just $30 USD 

(Please note our in-store 30% discount does not apply to this offer)

All my best, Jouni.

Evernote,  please note!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

My note here is totally irrelevant,  but I got an intriguing update email from another company yesterday which is a bit of a model in emotional intelligence...  It's from the developers of JV16,  a Windows 'cleanup' utility.  Note the subtle sales message and the discounts at the end...

Evernote,  please note!

Unbelieveable!!
I envy JV16 users 😳

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

This is a well done mea culpa.  I would be interested to know how well they communicated the changes they took before they rolled out the poorly received version.  Acknowledging they screwed up is one thing.  Far better to accurately and honestly communicate changes before they occur, especially if they may negatively impact their customers.

• Like 1

It is Jan 16 and I am on version 10.6.9 on a Mac. It continues to get worse. Evernote. has turned into complete garbage. It is so buggy that I am looking to move into other alternatives. Evernote has let us all down, their interface gets worse, performance is horrible, and they do not seem to give a *****. 

• Level 5

Very nice to read a post so full of emotion, and so devoid of any information. But maybe you don’t have anything of value to share anyhow ?

From my observation EN is clawing back to offer working v10 clients. The v10 client is not yet back to feature parity, which impacts some use cases more than others. Everybody who needs to run EN with a complete feature set can install legacy on Mac and Windows.

Running legacy and new client side by side lets determine if the own use case is already supported. By this any user can make an informed decision when to switch. And you get 2 clients for the price of one 🙃

Who urgently needs a discontinued feature like local notebooks has to find an alternative. But maybe this is only needed for this part of the total EN usage, not for the whole account. As long as legacy is available there is time enough to search and test.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Very nice to read a post so full of emotion, and so devoid of any information. But maybe you don’t have anything of value to share anyhow ?

From my observation EN is clawing back to offer working v10 clients.

Since you're a big fan of information perhaps you'd like to share with the rest of the class your evidence that EN is indeed "clawing back to offer working v10 clients." Because a lot of people keep using words like "slow", "buggy", and the like. When someone complains they find 10.6.9 unusable on a Mac that is in fact useful information. It might not be at the level of detail to help developers fix problems or to warn users which particular features to avoid, but it's not the ****ing job of paying customers to help a company debug software that should never have been released in such a state.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, GrumpySwede said:

It is Jan 16 and I am on version 10.6.9 on a Mac. It continues to get worse. Evernote. has turned into complete garbage. It is so buggy that I am looking to move into other alternatives. Evernote has let us all down, their interface gets worse, performance is horrible, and they do not seem to give a *****. 

1 hour ago, rts said:

Since you're a big fan of information perhaps you'd like to share with the rest of the class your evidence that EN is indeed "clawing back to offer working v10 clients." Because a lot of people keep using words like "slow", "buggy", and the like. When someone complains they find 10.6.9 unusable on a Mac that is in fact useful information. It might not be at the level of detail to help developers fix problems or to warn users which particular features to avoid, but it's not the ****ing job of paying customers to help a company debug software that should never have been released in such a state.

I'm curious, do you both find 10.6.9 to be worse than earlier versions? If so, I hope you will consider reaching out to support (if you're subscribers) to note the problem so that they can fix it.

For my part, progress is a little uneven but each new version seems to be a little better than the last. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

For my part, progress is a little uneven but each new version seems to be a little better than the last. 

Agreed. My main concern is that the EN 10 updates seem to have focused more on adding features than on basic stability and operability. I only hope that adding more features is not confounding the efforts to achieve stability.

(For me, one of the priceless features retained in EN 10+ is Version History, since I use EN as my main work environment. EN is my second brain.)

• Like 1

Ah, this discussion has brought back such nostalgic memories for me!

Here is what I wrote to Evernote in 2012:

I'm just writing to let you know how much me and my wife both hate the new version 5. We have been using Evernote for quite some time, and much of our life is organized around the tool, so the fact that it is now crashing all the time, has become much more confusing, and is generally working terribly is a cause of great stress for us. There is no need to write us back on this. Please just do your best to get things working well again and to reverse the worst of the user interface decisions.

With a follow-up in 2013:

This is just to say that the situation is still terrible. Version 5 is no longer crashing, but the user interface is still so much worse than it was before. For instance, to title a note, one must now be at the top of that note. So it is not possible to, for instance, visualise some important information in the note (such as the date of a bill) while typing the title, unless by luck that information just happens to be right at the top (often it is not). It makes me so sad that this tool that I use every day and that is key to my life has become so cumbersome to use. No need for you to send a reply -- I just wanted to let you know.

So, while, in 2021, I prefer to use the Legacy version 7 for Mac rather than the latest version 10, what I really really want is a Legacy version 4, which, IMHO, was before all the bad design decisions started being made.

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, GrumpySwede said:

I’m not having any technical issues using Mac 11.1 and EN V 10.6.9. (IMac 16GB)

What are you encountering?

thanks!

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, rts said:

Exactly.  We're not beta-testers.  Obviously Pink is at the very least biased, and probably "involved" with the company in some way.  Marketing/brand promotion or otherwise why have so many posts on this forum defending Evernote's mishaps and incompetence? 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

ROTFL

And you must be an agent of the evil Empire „xxx“ (everybody replace xxx by the service you love the most). 

It is very simple: Since iOS 10.3 (or better 10.4, with working offline content and send a note by mail) plus the working legacy client nothing has really changed compared to say last summer. At least not for me:

My setup is working and efficient, and I am waiting for a new working client to get released. I really don’t understand 50% of the high adrenaline posts here, as if anybody was forced at point blank to install v10 on their desktops. The 50% I do understand are those (like me) who got caught by an auto-updating iOS app, that was a desaster.

But I forget: We are in an Internet forum, so raging about chicken feed is the standard these days. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since iOS 10.3 (or better 10.4, with working offline content and send a note by mail)

For me, iOS 10.4 eventually allowed me to download virtually all of my note attachments for offline viewing. However, Search only returns fewer than 5% of the notes that I know have a particular search term. Is offline search behaving for you in iOS?

• Level 5

Yes, offline search works better than online for me.

If I search online, content in notebooks shared to me only shows place holders, no content. When I go offline (flight mode) these notes are found and displayed.

My impression is that the server based search still has an issue, especially with shared content. They find less content (hit count), and the notes in shares from others to me will not display, neither in the search results list nor when (blindly) trying to open one of the shadow notes.

Maybe try going to flight mode, and repeat your search.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, offline search works better than online for me.

THX. It's good to know that offline search can work. Time for a Service Ticket.

(FWIW I am not seeing any problems with online search on macOS or iOS.)

• Level 5

If you have a notebook that was shared to you by somebody else, try to use search to find content in it.

Nope, won't do.

Which is bad - my wife and I share for example 2 notebooks with recipes. Sorry dear, no dinner today, couldn't find that recipe we were sure existed ...

If you download these notebooks to offline use, suddenly the results are there ! The other option is to use legacy, where the search works as well.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:49 PM, Paul A. said:

I'm curious, do you both find 10.6.9 to be worse than earlier versions? If so, I hope you will consider reaching out to support (if you're subscribers) to note the problem so that they can fix it.

I have stopped tracking v10 iterations because I find other hobbies more rewarding. And it would be a hobby at this point. (I use PC and Android devices, so PinkElephant's cheerful Mac/iOS reports are irrelevant to my situation.) I check this forum from time to time to learn from other people's workflow and alternative product reports. As a Premium account holder I'm using the Legacy grace period to verify Joplin meets my needs. EN as a company has simply lost my trust.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, rts said:

EN as a company has simply lost my trust.

I'm on PC and Android (and Linux!) too - using (Win and Android) the old Legacy apps - actually they're my last updated public apps from last year*. 

I didn't even bother to update after the first few unhappy reports started to drift in.  I volunteered (so far unsuccessfully) to test the new Linux client - which apparently is in Beta now - because I can still operate as normal in the other apps,  and I'd be interested to see how the new thing is shaping up. 

I don't intend to move all my daily tasks onto v10 though until I absolutely have to.  I totally agree with your attitude (apart from the Joplin bit) - there's absolutely no benefit here in being an early adopter!

* because I have a LOT of notes,  I'm also limited (apparently) to the 'old' Web UI which is a pain.

• Like 1

I don't usually comment on products or do stuff like this because it's too troublesome. But seriously Evernote has been my main source of management for my thoughts and decisions for 7 or 8 years. So I need to contribute to this. Basically the new Evernote is obviously bad and the creators know it. The old one was great, it was what we needed. Every document or note or reminder or task I depended all on evernote because it was reliable. Now there's so many changes it's an entirely new app.

Stay true to your roots man seriously. We liked the app because of the old layout and format. It was well thought and catered for the users. Now it's clearly catered for something else, not the users. And so many limitations from the colours to the sorting of the notes and such. The flexibility of the previous version was why we liked it and kept using it for years. It's ridiculous how so many software products went down such a route.

I'm going back to the legacy app until you bring back the aspects that everyone liked. If the legacy app can't be used any more I'm migrating. I hope those of you who are unhappy will leave too when the time comes to prove our point. Assuming they still need our business by then.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2020 at 3:10 AM, Paul A. said:

I need more time to play with version 10.0.10. There is lots to like, but I am astonished at some of the design decisions. Here's one quick example:

image.thumb.png.ddb0f08b822b81d46beb5757d373e468.png

Btw, just in the time it took me annotate the above image I ran into a bug three times where it reverted a change I made to one of my comments every time I tried to open the image to copy and paste it into the forum.

Agree that search is less intuitive and "harder to do" than it used to be. Search is probably the most important feature of evernote second to creating a note maybe. A whole top bar should be devoted to searching for notes and the search text automatically highlighted in the notes that match (as it currently does) so I can quickly flick through results and then access/edit the one I want. Perhaps a big green + on left of the search in case you want to create a new note. I'd remove the whole lefthand black tab or make it optional. I'd rather just see the notes sidebar filtered by the search term (on the fly not after pressing return and it should autocomplete terms based on previous searches) or just all notes if no search term provided. Also for the last few months I've also had to restart evernote if I've left it open for a long while, otherwise I have blank notes (but the title works for whatever reason).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, this is the worst brain damage feature reduction, brain damaged degrading design upgrade I ever seen, looking for other providers, anyone can recommend some other apps, I will take my money somewhere else.. if they do not change back.

The destroyed many useful functionality, and introduce the useless home page that is just horrible.
You upgrade to improve and enhance, not to make product worse and make unuseful.

This is shocking, who the hell is in charge of this brilliance upgrade.. 

Everything was in one page, the short cuts , the task bars that you put your favorite functions there, etc...

Now you need to jump around to get what you want. This is truly heart broken. 

I hope someone from evernote give us options to add the functionality back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, coolways said:

Man, this is the worst brain damage feature reduction, brain damaged degrading design upgrade I ever seen, looking for other providers, anyone can recommend some other apps, I will take my money somewhere else.. if they do not change back.

The destroyed many useful functionality, and introduce the useless home page that is just horrible.
You upgrade to improve and enhance, not to make product worse and make unuseful.

Everything was in one page, the short cuts , the task bars that you put your favorite functions there, etc...

I find the web and android clients to be greatly improved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Add iOS to the list - not yet feature parity, but it has gained other features, and since 10.4 it is running stable and on newer devices with a good performance.

It's helpful to hear about your personal experience PE, but I think it's a mistake to generalize, since I (and I suspect many other users) have had a very different experience. Obviously, we all have a unique combinations of configurations and databases.

In my case, I have observed the EN 10+ series on 4 mac's with a variety of OS's (from a trusty 10-year-old iMac running OS 10.13.6 to a spanking new M1 macbook running OS 11.1).

Overall, I have found a steady improvement in performance between the EN 10 updates, and when EN is running well, it now performs about as well as Legacy (with the benefit of some new features). I now have fewer problems with failed launches, white screens, blank notes, strange hyeroglyphic characters, and glacial performance. So I'm encouraged by the work going on behind the scenes, but we still have a way to go regarding stability.

I have refrained from filing a support request, partly because their support system appeared to be overwhelmed for a while, but mainly because I haven't had a problem that I could reliably reproduce (the definition of instability).

[Currently running EN 10.7.6].

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, everybody has his own experience. And you are talking MacOS, whereas my post was discussing the state of the iOS client.

It is not that I would put the new iOS client above everything. First the way to what it does today had started with a near disaster, and was too long. Second there are still important features missing, like the Apple Watch client, widgets and app icon menu options, better search & sort options, tables, pdf Zoom & page operations etc. Third for real progress I would expect the app to support split screen and multi note operations - at least on the iPad.

The old iOS app was not beyond weaknesses, and EN iOS v10 made good compared to this level: Tag hierarchy now supported, better offline notebook support than before, improved editor etc. Thus I am happy about how things are evolving regarding the iOS client.

For the Mac I see EN v10.7.6 farther away from being a stand alone option for me, so I am mainly still working on legacy.

I've signed up to this forum because it seems there's no way of actually telling Evernote how much they've ruined a great program. I now have constant conflicting notes, infuriating popups about what's coming up and horrendous syncing issues. I've paid for this since 2014 and I am so close to ditching it. You've over engineered it a note taking app. Fix it.

Created a forum account just to say that the new desktop app for Windows is pretty poor. It is very slow, and the note layout on the screen is undesirable.

I've reverted to legacy, and am hoping for some design improvements.

On a positive note, Thank You for creating an app that I use and benefit from almost every day.    

Hello @Georgemes  I initially had the same feelings - Also I have used evernote forever and I am struggling massively with the changes as one of my main workflows is broken and no one seems to at all understand how important this is. Also, the syncing is not right ..  It feels like they are trying to seemingly sync every keystroke to the cloud and this can't possibly work in real life...  However, I am not going to give up with finding someone to listen and understand how critical these things are.

Many of the other issues I had have been almost fixed with the newest version so I have hope that the product will recover and be even better than it was.  I don't think they can reproduce in the lab the way evernote works in the field when someone has 30K + notes and 40+gb of data and using the product in realtime.

The only way to ensure this is that you have to put in bug reports for the things that are broken: https://evernote.com/contact . Click on the 'access additional support options' and submit a bug report.

• Like 1
  • DTLow changed the title to Feedback - Not happy with the Version 10 prooduct

I have been using Evernote for years , my digital life is in this product and its BEEN amazing

The new version is terrible

Its not an improved UI 

Its hard to create quickly note after note

For the first time since using Evernote I am loosing notes and I never had that, I have lost several now

Freezes many times

When you open notes you cant enter text in the body or title frequently

Hangs

Search is slow and seems to be less accurate than it was before and it was awesome before

I have been responsible for app development in the past and I would have shot my team if they did this but also if they now don't see the issues and are rapidly fixing them. Such a shame its an amazing product but has more competitors and while very painful for the first time I am thinking about moving to another product !!

• Like 3

Still can't get along with EverNote 10

Why put the add tag section separate to the "Move to Notebook" section?  They should be together.

Evernote 10 looks pretty but has lost the usability completely.  People who use Evernote a great deal often use list view to get a good list that can easily be viewed.  The new design in Evernite 10 is set with too little information viewable on a page.  Looks nice but *****!

I have been forced to use Legacy version of Evernote in the hope the Company sees sense.  If Legacy dropped, I will be forced to find something else.  So disappointed as loved Evernote as it was.

• Like 2
On 2/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, coolways said:

I’ve switched to Apple notes. Fast and free and not bloated like Evernote (which I’ve used since 2009....). Happy with my choice now n

• Like 2
On 2/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, cbm967 said:

Still can't get along with EverNote 10

Why put the add tag section separate to the "Move to Notebook" section?  They should be together.

Evernote 10 looks pretty but has lost the usability completely.  People who use Evernote a great deal often use list view to get a good list that can easily be viewed.  The new design in Evernite 10 is set with too little information viewable on a page.  Looks nice but *****!

I have been forced to use Legacy version of Evernote in the hope the Company sees sense.  If Legacy dropped, I will be forced to find something else.  So disappointed as loved Evernote as it was.

had an issue with sync, so did the usual thing, moved the *.exb file and expected to sync my legacy version with the cloud. However is no longer happening and support is no longer available if you use an older version. Now I am stuck with the 10 version, which is a total disaster. Definitely I need an alternative for Evernote ... After almost 15 years. I never understand how EN can kill their own product. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is that they have kicked out the Windows version. The 10 version is, in fact, not a windows version. It's a web version because no longer your data is saved on a *.exb file. 

I suppose this comes with many limitations to which we got so used for so many years. This also explains why the 10 version is awfully slow while I have an internet connection of 600mbps. 

How to kill your own product? The perfect case study is Evernote. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, pcryan5 said:

>However is no longer happening and support is no longer available if you use an older version.

Have you tried having 10 and Evernote Classic installed? it might sync to 10 and then you open via Classic

I have both installed. On the 10 version, I have 32000 notes, and on the Legacy version 822, which are the notes that I last updated. And Sync is not running, and when I click on it, only the last updates appear. My *.exb file was 180GB, and now it is 1 Gb.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, dxb77 said:

I have been using Evernote for years , my digital life is in this product and its BEEN amazing

The new version is terrible

Its not an improved UI 

Its hard to create quickly note after note

For the first time since using Evernote I am loosing notes and I never had that, I have lost several now

Freezes many times

When you open notes you cant enter text in the body or title frequently

Hangs

Search is slow and seems to be less accurate than it was before and it was awesome before

I have been responsible for app development in the past and I would have shot my team if they did this but also if they now don't see the issues and are rapidly fixing them. Such a shame its an amazing product but has more competitors and while very painful for the first time I am thinking about moving to another product !!

Keep me updated if you find a windows alternative. I love to hear about it. 

• Like 4
On 2/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, H Siewert said:

Created a forum account just to say that the new desktop app for Windows is pretty poor. It is very slow, and the note layout on the screen is undesirable.

I've reverted to legacy, and am hoping for some design improvements.

On a positive note, Thank You for creating an app that I use and benefit from almost every day.    

Watch out with the Legacy version. I had sync issues. Moved my *.exb file and expected it to get synced but with the Legacy version it is no longer happening and I am obliged to be stuck with version 10 because no longer support for Legacy. Terrible! And legacy was so great!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I am obliged to be stuck with version 10 because no longer support for Legacy. Terrible! And legacy was so great!

The Legacy version 6.25.2 is coded to work alongside and in sync with EN10.  There's no reason I'm aware of that it should not re-download the EXB file if necessary.  The previous public version is 6.25.1 which is still available but will update itself again unless you cancel that in options. 

If you check the location of your Evernote files in 6.25.x and sign out of Evernote,  then rename the Evernote folder to Evernote.old and sign back into Evernote,  you should get another copy of the database from the server which should be fully in sync with EN10 since AFAIK it's the same database...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

The Legacy version 6.25.2 is coded to work alongside and in sync with EN10.  There's no reason I'm aware of that it should not re-download the EXB file if necessary.  The previous public version is 6.25.1 which is still available but will update itself again unless you cancel that in options. 

If you check the location of your Evernote files in 6.25.x and sign out of Evernote,  then rename the Evernote folder to Evernote.old and sign back into Evernote,  you should get another copy of the database from the server which should be fully in sync with EN10 since AFAIK it's the same database...

It seems to work, so far, still syncing. Thanks. However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file. In other words, the 10 version is nothing else than a polished web version? This explains why it is so slow and so limited in features. Does that mean that EN will finish with creating a desktop version?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, pansovic said:

However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file.

Confirmed - the local offline database is no longer a single .exb file   
Data is distributed over various folders, with attachments stored in separate folders for each note

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.    
Macs always used distributed folders

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Data is distributed over various folders, with attachments stored in separate folders for each note

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.  Macs always used distributed folders

So, it is still locally stored on the PC? But why version 10 is so slow? The idea should be that it has access to the local files and sync with the EN servers without connecting to the EN servers for each note.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, pansovic said:

The idea should be that it has access to the local files and sync with the EN servers without connecting to the EN servers for each note.

Be advised the local database is only used for offline access     
Evernote is a cloud service, accessing data on the servers   
I'm not sure this causes slowness by definition

• Level 5

The legacy desktop versions sync to their local data base, and then in the background to the server.

v10 syncs to the server (like any browser does), and then it syncs back to the local data base. I am pretty sure that at least part of the lagging / responsiveness issues are related to this approach. Maybe it helps to go offline before starting massive editing  - which of course it no good for the day to day use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd soldiered on with Evernote 10, hoping that sense would prevail and the missing features I'd been regularly using would return. Finally I bit the bullet and installed the legacy version - and what a relief to see all those features I'd been missing return.

It would be good to know how long the legacy version might be supported, as I certainly won't be renewing my long-standing subscription if forced to go back to version 10 without all of these obvious features.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pansovic said:

It seems to work, so far, still syncing. Thanks. However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file. In other words, the 10 version is nothing else than a polished web version? This explains why it is so slow and so limited in features. Does that mean that EN will finish with creating a desktop version?

To confirm that I got back all my files through Legacy. Back to normal. Uff. Thanks Gazumped

• Like 3
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.    
Macs always used distributed folders

So, can we download our information and put on an external hard drive? And where is that information?

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The legacy desktop versions sync to their local data base, and then in the background to the server.

v10 syncs to the server (like any browser does), and then it syncs back to the local data base. I am pretty sure that at least part of the lagging / responsiveness issues are related to this approach. Maybe it helps to go offline before starting massive editing  - which of course it no good for the day to day use.

And does that approach has advantages besides the obvious disadvantage of slowness?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, pansovic said:

And where is that information?

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

• Thanks 1

Biggest issue for me is performance. I have an i7 desktop and it's sluggish.   I've a google pixel 5, a new mobile phone and the performance is atrocious.   

I'm guessing from looking around under the hood that this new version of the app was made in Electron?   Javascript coding desktop apps is never going to make for great performance but this is another level of slowness.   It's just ridiculous, it's a note taking app, it should be about the fastest program possible yet it performs like I'm using photoshop to edit multi-gigabyte images.  

I mean seriously, just how many real world users did evernote test this app with? I just don't understand how it was released.      And knowing that it was made in this slugging platform I can't see the speed really improving.   

Another lost user.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, pansovic said:

And does that approach has advantages besides the obvious disadvantage of slowness?

Probably the advantage for EN is that they can focus on the app itself, and the user interaction. The issues with the OS are handled by the underlying framework, which is basically a browser. So the idea is it will work wherever a browser works.

If you see a better balance between coding spend on improving the app / functionality vs. the coding spent on simply keeping things running as an improvement, this is an improvement.

If you see performance, it probably is a mixed blessing.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you see a better balance between coding spend on improving the app / functionality vs. the coding spent on simply keeping things running as an improvement, this is an improvement

If lots of your customers leave your product because they can't stand the downgrade of user experience then this is not an improvement. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Yes, if ...

They true figures of conversions and drop-outs knows only EN management. I have never seen so many Premium users going to the forum in the last months, if this does tell anything.

Personally I am running on legacy on my Mac, and have a v10 tester running alongside.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

In my work and personal life all Evernote PREMIUM and BUSINESS people left and switched

For myself, we are all still using the Evernote Legacy product
There's some testing going on but the opinion is that the Version 10 product isn't ready for general use

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

I am on Mac legacy Version 7.14.1 (458325 Direct) with auto updates disabled. Seems fine to me. I was not that traumatized by the new release as EN is not my core app as it is for many. I found the new version stable but visually distracting. Legacy works fine for me.

30 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

In my work and personal life all Evernote PREMIUM and BUSINESS people left and switched to other applications. They (some of them) still have their subscription until end date of their subscription date. This will ensure the transition to other workflows.

So in the coming months the count of paying customers will drop somewhat, don't know the %.

But the real damage is done already and will visible in the coming months ..None of the persons I know will advice Evernote as a stable and great product anymore, and this is the real damage.. Evernote cannot repair this damage, 9+ years of loyalty for most of my colleagues  towards Evernote and they left due to the lack of proper communication and support to them... the end-users. Not only because of the big failure with version 10 release.... it is all about poor communication and expectations.

This forum is the last option to communicate with this company. So that's why more and more people are on this forum. This signal should be a red signal to Evernote Management, but it isn't... 

Totally agree, but to what have you changed? The search of Evernote is rather top of the game. Have you found a satisfying alternative? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

2 hours ago, ArjenC said:

But the real damage is done already and will visible in the coming months ..None of the persons I know will advice Evernote as a stable and great product anymore, and this is the real damage.. Evernote cannot repair this damage, 9+ years of loyalty for most of my colleagues  towards Evernote and they left due to the lack of proper communication and support to them... the end-users. Not only because of the big failure with version 10 release.... it is all about poor communication and expectations.

This forum is the last option to communicate with this company. So that's why more and more people are on this forum. This signal should be a red signal to Evernote Management, but it isn't... 

100% agreed. I've said before the biggest thing EN broke with v10 was user trust. And unlike a broken or missing feature, trust doesn't get fixed with an update. I stopped evangelizing for EN years ago when I realized that they don't take beta testing very seriously. But even I couldn't have imagined they would unleash this v10 abomination on their users with such little communication/warning. 

And to your point, as awful as the initial v10 product was, had they managed the release and communication better, they could have put v10 out there for people who wanted to try it, and done so without upsetting so much of their userbase. I think daily users of Evernote would have been content to wait out 6 months in v6 for a finished v10 product (with many running v10 side by side to try it out) - I certainly would have. But this horribly managed/communicated rollout has prompted me to look elsewhere and I'm now using Joplin as my daily driver (and amazingly, this open source project has features that Evernote does not, including features that have been highly requested for many years on this forum). And depending on what happens with Evernote, may move all of my notes out when they discontinue syncing v6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, pansovic said:

Totally agree, but to what have you changed? The search of Evernote is rather top of the game. Have you found a satisfying alternative? 

For work we switched to the MS product, this is not perfect but less frustrating and the focus is back on our real work. But it has it flaws too, like every product I assume.

For personal use I'm still searching what fits the best. For now I us the MS product for new content and Evernote for historical use. Less than ideal, I know, but don't want to import 10k+ items in a new application before I've decided.

In the end, I would have liked Evernote to deliver the quality they stand for. That's why I waited for so long to acknowledge that Evernote failed big time, not only with V10 but in trust... 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, pansovic said:

I've used EN merely for note taking, not for archiving all kinds of attachments and media files.  And after trying Notion, Nimbus, Simplenote, OneNote, and Google Keep, I'm quite happy with the switch to Joplin.  Importing all my EN notes worked great, and it lets me work just as efficienty as EN Legacy did, and the deal-sealer for me was that I'm able to add my third device (Kindle Fire) without paying.  So far, search works just as well and quickly for my needs.  I've had to learn a bit about markdown, but actually I enjoyed that part of the transition experience.  And the plugins are great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so disappointed that they have removed the microphone - one of the main reasons I love Evernote. I can use the original version on my Mac but don’t know how to get it for my iphone and iPad. Does Evernote even bother to read any of these threads and see how unpopular their new version is?

• Level 5

For the iOS app:

To insert an Audio attachment into an existing note:

• Open a note.
  • Click somewhere, the soft keyboard opens. Hit the blue + keyboard top left.
  • Select Audio - they even show your beloved microphone symbol 😉

For a new audio note:

• Click on the up arrow beside the green new note button
  • Select Audio - with microphone

This will create a new note, open it and start the audio recording right away.

Personally I use the app JustPressRecord. It grabs audio, plus has a transcription (audio to text) mode on the iOS device. And it has an Apple Watch app - the EN watch app was removed with v10, and is still missing.

• Thanks 1

My main issue with the recent upgrades is - Iphone 10 pictures now are chopped into 2 uneven bits when trying to print or print to pdf.

It was previously working fine, I've been using Evernote premium to take pictures and send through to a colleague.

The output i need is a PDF and this is pretty much unusable without the added task of now rotating each picture manually (this solves the cutoff issue) but isnt viable for our workflow

On 12/2/2020 at 8:45 AM, WilliamL said:

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable. It’s getting exhausting now cause here’s the thing - if you want to leave, that is your choice, no judgement, we are customers and have the right to use what we feel suits us best. 

Legacy on Mobile? Nope... and once in V10 the switch back is a real thing with 10k+ notes. Doubled notes, out of sync notes and even missing notes... I went that route and with some help all is restored (i think) so i could leave and migrate to other solution.

So not for all customers it is bad / buggy software, but for me this is not the software of choice...

• Level 5*

Legacy on Mobile Android is (relatively) easy.  Download an APK from one of these - 

Android original 8.13.3 

Search online for how to install if you're in doubt; likewise how to turn off automatic updates on the Evernote app.

I'm still using the old version.

In iOS the situation doesn;t seem so bad now with the latest updates...

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Legacy on Mobile Android is (relatively) easy.  Download an APK from one of these - 

Android original 8.13.3 

Search online for how to install if you're in doubt; likewise how to turn off automatic updates on the Evernote app.

I'm still using the old version.

In iOS the situation doesn;t seem so bad now with the latest updates...

What?  Installing via third-party application is an good option for you? Nope, this is asking for security troubles. (maybe this is why i read more and more: My account is hacked?)  
How can you assure the provide APK files are legit and why do you think APK installing is off by default on Android. 

Shouldn't Evernote provide a legacy option for mobile and other platforms? They should know by now that v10 is big failure for some of their customers. And if you try to reach support all they can answers is: working on it, cannot help you ... legacy is not supported... big help... not.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ArjenC said:

Installing via third-party application is an good option for you?

Like most things in life,  caution and moderation is required. But my priority is not to complain that someone else should do something,  but to get things done as expeditiously as possible.  If installing a third-party APK does the job,  it's a valid option.

And the default in Android is to download only from the Play store. It's only a setting - which gives Google a monopoly on installations.  From recent evidence it doesn't offer that much protection against malware...

• Like 1

I know that APKMIROR is as safe as it can get, but installing APK files from sources on the internet is not risk free. For normal every day people it is impossible to determine if the source is safe, this is one of the way's how accounts get hacked.

So installing via third-party solution should not be a option, because of the security risks. 
Lots of people store all their passwords in Evernote, what if a compromise APK file gets installed? 

Nope I really hope Evernote provides a work-around solution for the users that need a work-around. That's the least they can do (and should do in my opinion)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If installing a third-party APK does the job,  it's a valid option

It seems that the plan is clearly to phase out these classic versions of the apps...  after all, why would they keep them running if the new versions has clearly been driven by the desire for the exact opposite from the EN side, ie to streamline development.   (at the huge cost of performance, features and stability).

How can installing a third party APK be a valid solution?  Both in terms of security issues and simply due to the fact that it seems to be putting off the inevitable and at some point the app will start to fail to function or support will be blocked.  

In my opinion what EN have done is disastrous and it seems like you've drunken way too much of their Kool-Aid gazumped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO they should "republish" the old mobile apps, under a different name if needed rather than fall back on "oh the application stores don't let us give you an old version of the existing app" excuses. I've managed to dig up a couple of old iPads and the older EN versions that were on them is wonderful in comparison and totally removed V10 apps from newer devices, not that I used mobile apps that much. My personal phone is running an older version of Android so is "safe" from getting V10 as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, skim1124 said:

I've used EN merely for note taking, not for archiving all kinds of attachments and media files.  And after trying Notion, Nimbus, Simplenote, OneNote, and Google Keep, I'm quite happy with the switch to Joplin.  Importing all my EN notes worked great, and it lets me work just as efficienty as EN Legacy did, and the deal-sealer for me was that I'm able to add my third device (Kindle Fire) without paying.  So far, search works just as well and quickly for my needs.  I've had to learn a bit about markdown, but actually I enjoyed that part of the transition experience.  And the plugins are great.

For simple text notes, Joplin is indeed great.

I've been an EN user for maybe five years. Basic to Premium to Plus to Premium. With the latter change, and for the privilege of paying significantly more, I was welcomed with an upgrade for the worse. Not the first time I have experienced this.

Being a large elephant, I am not gifted technically, but I do have a long memory. Weakly managed companies allow themselves to be dominated by transient salespersons and/or equally transient IT experts, neither of which group has any real grasp of the value of the product customers like and continue to pay for in cash and loyalty.  

Witnessing the disappearance of so many practical features, and their replacement by purposeless gloss, is sufficient to spook this elephant to another watering hole.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Heffalump couple of weeks ago Ian Small was interviewed by Francesco D'Alessio  (keep productive, youtube). He was trilled about the way Evernote is evolving (even with some small glitches'), it seems they are convinced that they are doing the right thing. And this is worrying for some of their users... 

But I cannot imagine that the current state of development is ok for the senior dev's... it is buggy as **** , not something to be proud of. Maybe for alpha or beta 1 release... but not for production release .

Edited by ArjenC
Name of interviewer corrected
  • Like 4

I totally agree. I'm using only Evernote Legacy for Windows OS because it's so much faster, minimalistic, better constructed and more customizable.

To be short, the "New Evernote" is:

1. super slow;
  2. super bugged;
  3. super dumb; and
  4. less customizable.

For instance:

1. It takes too long to load not only it's main window, but also notes on new windows;
  2. It inadvertently ads line breaks when I copy and paste something inside a source-code box;
  3. When we click the tray icon it opens a "new note" window instead of opening the main window (it could, at least, have an option to change this behaviour, but it doesn't);
  4. It doesn't even have a damn "Settings" window! So we can't change pretty much anything (even things that we could before), like: (i) the tray icon click behaviour that I mentioned; (ii) the default font style (I prefer "Sagoe", which was used on the old version, but the new version automatically set it to "Sans Serif", and we can't change it); (iii) the spelling languages (in the old version we could add as many languages as we wanted).

The only downside of the legacy version is that it doesn't have the "dark mode". So, in my opinion, if the Legacy Evernote had the "dark mode" implemented, it would become the definitive Evernote version.

Edited by Felipe Abou
Added a number 4 to my list.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1