Hate the new Evernote

On 2/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, cbm967 said:

Still can't get along with EverNote 10

Why put the add tag section separate to the "Move to Notebook" section?  They should be together.

Evernote 10 looks pretty but has lost the usability completely.  People who use Evernote a great deal often use list view to get a good list that can easily be viewed.  The new design in Evernite 10 is set with too little information viewable on a page.  Looks nice but *****!

I have been forced to use Legacy version of Evernote in the hope the Company sees sense.  If Legacy dropped, I will be forced to find something else.  So disappointed as loved Evernote as it was.

had an issue with sync, so did the usual thing, moved the *.exb file and expected to sync my legacy version with the cloud. However is no longer happening and support is no longer available if you use an older version. Now I am stuck with the 10 version, which is a total disaster. Definitely I need an alternative for Evernote ... After almost 15 years. I never understand how EN can kill their own product. 

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for nothing. In one swoop you have completely destroyed my workflow and 7 years worth of an information database. Many moons ago with the idiotic limitation of 250 notebooks I was forced t

You destroyed Evernote with this new version. Why don't you think twice about ***** people's lives? Everything that has changed has changed for the worse. I have been using it since 2012. The worst ve

Clugey, slow, and my colored tags are gone. Are there any alternatives that I can  transfer my Evernotes into?

Posted Images

>However is no longer happening and support is no longer available if you use an older version.

Have you tried having 10 and Evernote Classic installed? it might sync to 10 and then you open via Classic

The bottom line is that they have kicked out the Windows version. The 10 version is, in fact, not a windows version. It's a web version because no longer your data is saved on a *.exb file. 

I suppose this comes with many limitations to which we got so used for so many years. This also explains why the 10 version is awfully slow while I have an internet connection of 600mbps. 

How to kill your own product? The perfect case study is Evernote. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, pcryan5 said:

>However is no longer happening and support is no longer available if you use an older version.

Have you tried having 10 and Evernote Classic installed? it might sync to 10 and then you open via Classic

I have both installed. On the 10 version, I have 32000 notes, and on the Legacy version 822, which are the notes that I last updated. And Sync is not running, and when I click on it, only the last updates appear. My *.exb file was 180GB, and now it is 1 Gb.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, dxb77 said:

I have been using Evernote for years , my digital life is in this product and its BEEN amazing

The new version is terrible

Its not an improved UI 

Its hard to create quickly note after note

For the first time since using Evernote I am loosing notes and I never had that, I have lost several now

Freezes many times

When you open notes you cant enter text in the body or title frequently

Hangs

Search is slow and seems to be less accurate than it was before and it was awesome before

I have been responsible for app development in the past and I would have shot my team if they did this but also if they now don't see the issues and are rapidly fixing them. Such a shame its an amazing product but has more competitors and while very painful for the first time I am thinking about moving to another product !!

Keep me updated if you find a windows alternative. I love to hear about it. 

• Like 3
On 2/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, H Siewert said:

Created a forum account just to say that the new desktop app for Windows is pretty poor. It is very slow, and the note layout on the screen is undesirable.

I've reverted to legacy, and am hoping for some design improvements.

On a positive note, Thank You for creating an app that I use and benefit from almost every day.    

Watch out with the Legacy version. I had sync issues. Moved my *.exb file and expected it to get synced but with the Legacy version it is no longer happening and I am obliged to be stuck with version 10 because no longer support for Legacy. Terrible! And legacy was so great!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I am obliged to be stuck with version 10 because no longer support for Legacy. Terrible! And legacy was so great!

The Legacy version 6.25.2 is coded to work alongside and in sync with EN10.  There's no reason I'm aware of that it should not re-download the EXB file if necessary.  The previous public version is 6.25.1 which is still available but will update itself again unless you cancel that in options. 

If you check the location of your Evernote files in 6.25.x and sign out of Evernote,  then rename the Evernote folder to Evernote.old and sign back into Evernote,  you should get another copy of the database from the server which should be fully in sync with EN10 since AFAIK it's the same database...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

The Legacy version 6.25.2 is coded to work alongside and in sync with EN10.  There's no reason I'm aware of that it should not re-download the EXB file if necessary.  The previous public version is 6.25.1 which is still available but will update itself again unless you cancel that in options. 

If you check the location of your Evernote files in 6.25.x and sign out of Evernote,  then rename the Evernote folder to Evernote.old and sign back into Evernote,  you should get another copy of the database from the server which should be fully in sync with EN10 since AFAIK it's the same database...

It seems to work, so far, still syncing. Thanks. However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file. In other words, the 10 version is nothing else than a polished web version? This explains why it is so slow and so limited in features. Does that mean that EN will finish with creating a desktop version?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, pansovic said:

However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file.

Confirmed - the local offline database is no longer a single .exb file   
Data is distributed over various folders, with attachments stored in separate folders for each note

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.    
Macs always used distributed folders

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Data is distributed over various folders, with attachments stored in separate folders for each note

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.  Macs always used distributed folders

So, it is still locally stored on the PC? But why version 10 is so slow? The idea should be that it has access to the local files and sync with the EN servers without connecting to the EN servers for each note.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, pansovic said:

The idea should be that it has access to the local files and sync with the EN servers without connecting to the EN servers for each note.

Be advised the local database is only used for offline access     
Evernote is a cloud service, accessing data on the servers   
I'm not sure this causes slowness by definition

• Level 5

The legacy desktop versions sync to their local data base, and then in the background to the server.

v10 syncs to the server (like any browser does), and then it syncs back to the local data base. I am pretty sure that at least part of the lagging / responsiveness issues are related to this approach. Maybe it helps to go offline before starting massive editing  - which of course it no good for the day to day use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd soldiered on with Evernote 10, hoping that sense would prevail and the missing features I'd been regularly using would return. Finally I bit the bullet and installed the legacy version - and what a relief to see all those features I'd been missing return.

It would be good to know how long the legacy version might be supported, as I certainly won't be renewing my long-standing subscription if forced to go back to version 10 without all of these obvious features.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pansovic said:

It seems to work, so far, still syncing. Thanks. However, I noticed that the 10 version is no longer using the *.exb file. In other words, the 10 version is nothing else than a polished web version? This explains why it is so slow and so limited in features. Does that mean that EN will finish with creating a desktop version?

To confirm that I got back all my files through Legacy. Back to normal. Uff. Thanks Gazumped

• Like 3
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

The single .exb file (SQLite database) was a Windows feature.    
Macs always used distributed folders

So, can we download our information and put on an external hard drive? And where is that information?

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The legacy desktop versions sync to their local data base, and then in the background to the server.

v10 syncs to the server (like any browser does), and then it syncs back to the local data base. I am pretty sure that at least part of the lagging / responsiveness issues are related to this approach. Maybe it helps to go offline before starting massive editing  - which of course it no good for the day to day use.

And does that approach has advantages besides the obvious disadvantage of slowness?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, pansovic said:

And where is that information?

Windows          C:/users/<youraccount>/appdata/roaming /evernote
Mac                     /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

• Thanks 1

Biggest issue for me is performance. I have an i7 desktop and it's sluggish.   I've a google pixel 5, a new mobile phone and the performance is atrocious.   

I'm guessing from looking around under the hood that this new version of the app was made in Electron?   Javascript coding desktop apps is never going to make for great performance but this is another level of slowness.   It's just ridiculous, it's a note taking app, it should be about the fastest program possible yet it performs like I'm using photoshop to edit multi-gigabyte images.  

I mean seriously, just how many real world users did evernote test this app with? I just don't understand how it was released.      And knowing that it was made in this slugging platform I can't see the speed really improving.   

Another lost user.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, pansovic said:

And does that approach has advantages besides the obvious disadvantage of slowness?

Probably the advantage for EN is that they can focus on the app itself, and the user interaction. The issues with the OS are handled by the underlying framework, which is basically a browser. So the idea is it will work wherever a browser works.

If you see a better balance between coding spend on improving the app / functionality vs. the coding spent on simply keeping things running as an improvement, this is an improvement.

If you see performance, it probably is a mixed blessing.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you see a better balance between coding spend on improving the app / functionality vs. the coding spent on simply keeping things running as an improvement, this is an improvement

If lots of your customers leave your product because they can't stand the downgrade of user experience then this is not an improvement. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Yes, if ...

They true figures of conversions and drop-outs knows only EN management. I have never seen so many Premium users going to the forum in the last months, if this does tell anything.

Personally I am running on legacy on my Mac, and have a v10 tester running alongside.

In my work and personal life all Evernote PREMIUM and BUSINESS people left and switched to other applications. They (some of them) still have their subscription until end date of their subscription date. This will ensure the transition to other workflows.

So in the coming months the count of paying customers will drop somewhat, don't know the %.

But the real damage is done already and will visible in the coming months ..None of the persons I know will advice Evernote as a stable and great product anymore, and this is the real damage.. Evernote cannot repair this damage, 9+ years of loyalty for most of my colleagues  towards Evernote and they left due to the lack of proper communication and support to them... the end-users. Not only because of the big failure with version 10 release.... it is all about poor communication and expectations.

This forum is the last option to communicate with this company. So that's why more and more people are on this forum. This signal should be a red signal to Evernote Management, but it isn't... 

• Like 9
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

In my work and personal life all Evernote PREMIUM and BUSINESS people left and switched

For myself, we are all still using the Evernote Legacy product
There's some testing going on but the opinion is that the Version 10 product isn't ready for general use

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

I am on Mac legacy Version 7.14.1 (458325 Direct) with auto updates disabled. Seems fine to me. I was not that traumatized by the new release as EN is not my core app as it is for many. I found the new version stable but visually distracting. Legacy works fine for me.

30 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

In my work and personal life all Evernote PREMIUM and BUSINESS people left and switched to other applications. They (some of them) still have their subscription until end date of their subscription date. This will ensure the transition to other workflows.

So in the coming months the count of paying customers will drop somewhat, don't know the %.

But the real damage is done already and will visible in the coming months ..None of the persons I know will advice Evernote as a stable and great product anymore, and this is the real damage.. Evernote cannot repair this damage, 9+ years of loyalty for most of my colleagues  towards Evernote and they left due to the lack of proper communication and support to them... the end-users. Not only because of the big failure with version 10 release.... it is all about poor communication and expectations.

This forum is the last option to communicate with this company. So that's why more and more people are on this forum. This signal should be a red signal to Evernote Management, but it isn't... 

Totally agree, but to what have you changed? The search of Evernote is rather top of the game. Have you found a satisfying alternative? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

2 hours ago, ArjenC said:

100% agreed. I've said before the biggest thing EN broke with v10 was user trust. And unlike a broken or missing feature, trust doesn't get fixed with an update. I stopped evangelizing for EN years ago when I realized that they don't take beta testing very seriously. But even I couldn't have imagined they would unleash this v10 abomination on their users with such little communication/warning. 

And to your point, as awful as the initial v10 product was, had they managed the release and communication better, they could have put v10 out there for people who wanted to try it, and done so without upsetting so much of their userbase. I think daily users of Evernote would have been content to wait out 6 months in v6 for a finished v10 product (with many running v10 side by side to try it out) - I certainly would have. But this horribly managed/communicated rollout has prompted me to look elsewhere and I'm now using Joplin as my daily driver (and amazingly, this open source project has features that Evernote does not, including features that have been highly requested for many years on this forum). And depending on what happens with Evernote, may move all of my notes out when they discontinue syncing v6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, pansovic said:

Totally agree, but to what have you changed? The search of Evernote is rather top of the game. Have you found a satisfying alternative? 

For work we switched to the MS product, this is not perfect but less frustrating and the focus is back on our real work. But it has it flaws too, like every product I assume.

For personal use I'm still searching what fits the best. For now I us the MS product for new content and Evernote for historical use. Less than ideal, I know, but don't want to import 10k+ items in a new application before I've decided.

In the end, I would have liked Evernote to deliver the quality they stand for. That's why I waited for so long to acknowledge that Evernote failed big time, not only with V10 but in trust... 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, pansovic said:

I've used EN merely for note taking, not for archiving all kinds of attachments and media files.  And after trying Notion, Nimbus, Simplenote, OneNote, and Google Keep, I'm quite happy with the switch to Joplin.  Importing all my EN notes worked great, and it lets me work just as efficienty as EN Legacy did, and the deal-sealer for me was that I'm able to add my third device (Kindle Fire) without paying.  So far, search works just as well and quickly for my needs.  I've had to learn a bit about markdown, but actually I enjoyed that part of the transition experience.  And the plugins are great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so disappointed that they have removed the microphone - one of the main reasons I love Evernote. I can use the original version on my Mac but don’t know how to get it for my iphone and iPad. Does Evernote even bother to read any of these threads and see how unpopular their new version is?

• Level 5

For the iOS app:

To insert an Audio attachment into an existing note:

• Open a note.
  • Click somewhere, the soft keyboard opens. Hit the blue + keyboard top left.
  • Select Audio - they even show your beloved microphone symbol 😉

For a new audio note:

• Click on the up arrow beside the green new note button
  • Select Audio - with microphone

This will create a new note, open it and start the audio recording right away.

Personally I use the app JustPressRecord. It grabs audio, plus has a transcription (audio to text) mode on the iOS device. And it has an Apple Watch app - the EN watch app was removed with v10, and is still missing.

• Thanks 1

My main issue with the recent upgrades is - Iphone 10 pictures now are chopped into 2 uneven bits when trying to print or print to pdf.

It was previously working fine, I've been using Evernote premium to take pictures and send through to a colleague.

The output i need is a PDF and this is pretty much unusable without the added task of now rotating each picture manually (this solves the cutoff issue) but isnt viable for our workflow

On 12/2/2020 at 8:45 AM, WilliamL said:

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable. It’s getting exhausting now cause here’s the thing - if you want to leave, that is your choice, no judgement, we are customers and have the right to use what we feel suits us best. 

Legacy on Mobile? Nope... and once in V10 the switch back is a real thing with 10k+ notes. Doubled notes, out of sync notes and even missing notes... I went that route and with some help all is restored (i think) so i could leave and migrate to other solution.

So not for all customers it is bad / buggy software, but for me this is not the software of choice...

• Level 5*

Legacy on Mobile Android is (relatively) easy.  Download an APK from one of these - 

Android original 8.13.3 

Search online for how to install if you're in doubt; likewise how to turn off automatic updates on the Evernote app.

I'm still using the old version.

In iOS the situation doesn;t seem so bad now with the latest updates...

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Legacy on Mobile Android is (relatively) easy.  Download an APK from one of these - 

Android original 8.13.3 

Search online for how to install if you're in doubt; likewise how to turn off automatic updates on the Evernote app.

What?  Installing via third-party application is an good option for you? Nope, this is asking for security troubles. (maybe this is why i read more and more: My account is hacked?)  
How can you assure the provide APK files are legit and why do you think APK installing is off by default on Android. 

Shouldn't Evernote provide a legacy option for mobile and other platforms? They should know by now that v10 is big failure for some of their customers. And if you try to reach support all they can answers is: working on it, cannot help you ... legacy is not supported... big help... not.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ArjenC said:

Installing via third-party application is an good option for you?

Like most things in life,  caution and moderation is required. But my priority is not to complain that someone else should do something,  but to get things done as expeditiously as possible.  If installing a third-party APK does the job,  it's a valid option.

And the default in Android is to download only from the Play store. It's only a setting - which gives Google a monopoly on installations.  From recent evidence it doesn't offer that much protection against malware...

• Like 1

I know that APKMIROR is as safe as it can get, but installing APK files from sources on the internet is not risk free. For normal every day people it is impossible to determine if the source is safe, this is one of the way's how accounts get hacked.

So installing via third-party solution should not be a option, because of the security risks. 
Lots of people store all their passwords in Evernote, what if a compromise APK file gets installed? 

Nope I really hope Evernote provides a work-around solution for the users that need a work-around. That's the least they can do (and should do in my opinion)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If installing a third-party APK does the job,  it's a valid option

It seems that the plan is clearly to phase out these classic versions of the apps...  after all, why would they keep them running if the new versions has clearly been driven by the desire for the exact opposite from the EN side, ie to streamline development.   (at the huge cost of performance, features and stability).

How can installing a third party APK be a valid solution?  Both in terms of security issues and simply due to the fact that it seems to be putting off the inevitable and at some point the app will start to fail to function or support will be blocked.  

In my opinion what EN have done is disastrous and it seems like you've drunken way too much of their Kool-Aid gazumped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO they should "republish" the old mobile apps, under a different name if needed rather than fall back on "oh the application stores don't let us give you an old version of the existing app" excuses. I've managed to dig up a couple of old iPads and the older EN versions that were on them is wonderful in comparison and totally removed V10 apps from newer devices, not that I used mobile apps that much. My personal phone is running an older version of Android so is "safe" from getting V10 as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, skim1124 said:

I've used EN merely for note taking, not for archiving all kinds of attachments and media files.  And after trying Notion, Nimbus, Simplenote, OneNote, and Google Keep, I'm quite happy with the switch to Joplin.  Importing all my EN notes worked great, and it lets me work just as efficienty as EN Legacy did, and the deal-sealer for me was that I'm able to add my third device (Kindle Fire) without paying.  So far, search works just as well and quickly for my needs.  I've had to learn a bit about markdown, but actually I enjoyed that part of the transition experience.  And the plugins are great.

For simple text notes, Joplin is indeed great.

I've been an EN user for maybe five years. Basic to Premium to Plus to Premium. With the latter change, and for the privilege of paying significantly more, I was welcomed with an upgrade for the worse. Not the first time I have experienced this.

Being a large elephant, I am not gifted technically, but I do have a long memory. Weakly managed companies allow themselves to be dominated by transient salespersons and/or equally transient IT experts, neither of which group has any real grasp of the value of the product customers like and continue to pay for in cash and loyalty.  

Witnessing the disappearance of so many practical features, and their replacement by purposeless gloss, is sufficient to spook this elephant to another watering hole.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Heffalump couple of weeks ago Ian Small was interviewed by Francesco D'Alessio  (keep productive, youtube). He was trilled about the way Evernote is evolving (even with some small glitches'), it seems they are convinced that they are doing the right thing. And this is worrying for some of their users... 

But I cannot imagine that the current state of development is ok for the senior dev's... it is buggy as **** , not something to be proud of. Maybe for alpha or beta 1 release... but not for production release .

Edited by ArjenC
Name of interviewer corrected
  • Like 4

I totally agree. I'm using only Evernote Legacy for Windows OS because it's so much faster, minimalistic, better constructed and more customizable.

To be short, the "New Evernote" is:

1. super slow;
  2. super bugged;
  3. super dumb; and
  4. less customizable.

For instance:

1. It takes too long to load not only it's main window, but also notes on new windows;
  2. It inadvertently ads line breaks when I copy and paste something inside a source-code box;
  3. When we click the tray icon it opens a "new note" window instead of opening the main window (it could, at least, have an option to change this behaviour, but it doesn't);
  4. It doesn't even have a damn "Settings" window! So we can't change pretty much anything (even things that we could before), like: (i) the tray icon click behaviour that I mentioned; (ii) the default font style (I prefer "Sagoe", which was used on the old version, but the new version automatically set it to "Sans Serif", and we can't change it); (iii) the spelling languages (in the old version we could add as many languages as we wanted).

The only downside of the legacy version is that it doesn't have the "dark mode". So, in my opinion, if the Legacy Evernote had the "dark mode" implemented, it would become the definitive Evernote version.

Edited by Felipe Abou
Added a number 4 to my list.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ArjenC said:

And if you try to reach support all they can answers is: working on it

Are they?
My impression is they're busy developing new features...

2 hours ago, Heffalump said:

I've been an EN user for maybe five years. Basic to Premium to Plus to Premium. With the latter change, and for the privilege of paying significantly more, I was welcomed with an upgrade for the worse. Not the first time I have experienced this.

Being a large elephant, I am not gifted technically, but I do have a long memory. Weakly managed companies allow themselves to be dominated by transient salespersons and/or equally transient IT experts, neither of which group has any real grasp of the value of the product customers like and continue to pay for in cash and loyalty.  

Witnessing the disappearance of so many practical features, and their replacement by purposeless gloss, is sufficient to spook this elephant to another watering hole.

Let me know when you find your new watering hole. Happy to replace EN, but I haven't found any satisfaction in Google Keep, Notes, etc. Have you?

10 hours ago, ArjenC said:

For work we switched to the MS product, this is not perfect but less frustrating and the focus is back on our real work. But it has it flaws too, like every product I assume.

For personal use I'm still searching what fits the best. For now I us the MS product for new content and Evernote for historical use. Less than ideal, I know, but don't want to import 10k+ items in a new application before I've decided.

In the end, I would have liked Evernote to deliver the quality they stand for. That's why I waited for so long to acknowledge that Evernote failed big time, not only with V10 but in trust... 

With MS product, do you mean Microsoft? Like which MS product? 

3 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

For simple text notes, Joplin is indeed great.

After a quick trial, cannot search a word in a picture, nor pdf. EN is still a better version

• Level 5
1 hour ago, oded said:
  4 hours ago, ArjenC said:

And if you try to reach support all they can answers is: working on it

I have had the opposite experience! Support was very prompt, courteous and attentive—just like my experience a year or two ago when I had a database problem (thanks Shane). They gave me some suggested actions, and when these didn't solve the problem, we scheduled an online consultation.

Presumably, Support has to cope with the consequences of misguided Management decisions with EN 10+. I don't envy them.

• Like 1

Finally glad to know this isn't just me.  Been using Evernote for 10+ years.  I just installed the legacy version and was so relieved to have all the old functionality back.  Tired of tech companies "improving" things just for the sake of improving them.  The webification of the new version has made things slow and cumbersome even though the new interface is clean (too clean so that I can't find anything).  On my Mac, if I don't have an active Internet connection, I can't even open the app (or if it opens, I have no notes). Yes, sometimes that happens such as when the network is down.

Also, the new version will only let you export 50 notes at a time.  The legacy version allowed me to export everything all at once.  I've been trying to get my wife to user Evernote for years and she just complains about it.  Will be switching Apple Notes.  Yes, I know it doesn't have all the same functionality, but for what I do it's adequate and will work across all my devices.  And, it's already included.  Sorry Evernote - you've been my right hand for a long time but I can't put up with this anymore.  It's a sad farewell but I just can't fight with this any longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Android original 8.13.3 

At least when I was providing an apk link, I was specifically pointing out that these are 3rd party sites and these app versions are not verified or endorsed in any way by Evernote. In other words, you install these unverified apk's at your own risk. None of us knows if these apps are hacked with malicious code or if they are sending user data to a hacker.

I think it's irresponsible of you to provide these links without some kind of disclaimer. You know that some new people on this forum will look at your Lvl5 status and post count and assume you are either an EN employee or acting in some official representative capacity.

That said, I think EN should be providing a way for people to revert on Android, but since they are refusing to do so, people may be willing to assume the risk of these 3rd party apk's.

Have to agree. The new one is just barely usable for me, but more trouble than it's worth. I can't fit everything into one view so I have to open every note on it's own. But after a couple of days all the open docs go blank and I can't open new docs, so I have to restart EN which loses all my open docs.. going to try reverting to an older version and if that's troublesome, time to move on

6 hours ago, pansovic said:

After a quick trial, cannot search a word in a picture, nor pdf. EN is still a better version

I said that Joplin is great for simple text notes. 

Pictures and PDFs are not simple text notes. 

Joplin is not for me, because I need more than simple text notes. If someone takes text notes with an occasional photo or attachment they don't expect to do much with, Joplin is fine.

That said, I think there is a way to OCR PDFs and pictures in Joplin using a plugin. I have not investigated this in depth, because at this moment, Joplin simply does not work for my needs, and OCR is just a small part of missing functionality that consider essential for my needs. And to be honest, neither does Evernote. 

It's hard to objectively say "service xxx is better than yyy" because everyone has different needs or habits. Joplin is near totally useless for me, but it's a godsend for other people. Evernote stopped working for me a while ago, but for many people, there's nothing better - either because it is what they need, or simply because it is what they are used to and nothing else will ever match, because nothing else is exactly the same. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tavor said:

That said, I think EN should be providing a way for people to revert on Android, but since they are refusing to do so, people may be willing to assume the risk of these 3rd party apk's.

I think that will only float for a small number of people.  I think a lot will just change app.  That's what i think I'm going to do. Currently researching alternatives.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AdamJ said:

I think that will only float for a small number of people.  I think a lot will just change app.  That's what i think I'm going to do. Currently researching alternatives.

I couldn't find any alternative that pleases me that also includes accepting to import the Evernote files. If you have, I like very much to hear about it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pansovic said:

I couldn't find any alternative that pleases me that also includes accepting to import the Evernote files. If you have, I like very much to hear about it.

Have you tried Joplin (base app + whichever plugins interest you)? For my use case, Joplin + plugins has *more* functionality than Evernote. For others that may not be the case - this is true of all the serious note apps - they are all slightly different in feature set from one another, so it's a matter of finding which app has features one prioritizes while giving up lower priority features. For some, that will be EN v6, which is still a great note app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, AdamJ said:

Can't blame you. It's a terrible choice EN has pushed Android users, who were negatively surprised by the v10 update, into making. There are app categories where I'd be willing to download an apk from a third party site (even then, only from apk sites that have a very good reputation), but there's no way I'd download a note app from a third party site. Too much risk to have all my notes in a non-verified version of EN Android.

1 hour ago, pansovic said:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=alternative+evernote 👍

This link: https://www.guru99.com/best-alternatives-to-evernote.html provides some alternatives, but only you can decide what works best for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, tavor said:

Have you tried Joplin (base app + whichever plugins interest you)? For my use case, Joplin + plugins has *more* functionality than Evernote. For others that may not be the case - this is true of all the serious note apps - they are all slightly different in feature set from one another, so it's a matter of finding which app has features one prioritizes while giving up lower priority features. For some, that will be EN v6, which is still a great note app.

Is there a plugin to search within a picture, a pdf? To distribute the columns of a table evenly?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, pansovic said:

Is there a plugin to search within a picture, a pdf? To distribute the columns of a table evenly?

There is an addon to run OCR, but it's not in plugin form, so it requires some tech savvy. I would guess that at some point OCR of pdfs will be available as a plugin. OCR of pictures, I have no idea, but if someone with coding ability decides they want that feature, I would guess the lead dev would welcome that additional functionality.

I haven't noticed any issues with table columns - just checked a table and the columns look good to me. Check for yourself - no need to import your EN notes. Just download and install (or use the portable version), it comes with some introductory notes. The easy way to create tables is in the rich text editor.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, tavor said:

Just download and install (or use the portable version), it comes with some introductory notes. The easy way to create tables is in the rich text editor.

In addition to Joplin's build-in MarkDown editor that you can extend with external editors of your choice (I use  Typora when external note window is necessary) - I am not aware about similar concept within Evernote.

Not to mention Joplin's browser addon (natives for chrome- and FF-based) is IMHO superior to Evernote's, especially if you transition from HTML-based notes to MarkDown-based.

18 hours ago, pansovic said:

This is a good (but not complete) starting point: noteapps.info

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gnopps said:

This is a good (but not complete) starting point: noteapps.info

Very nice and have looked at this before but I wish there was an option "not an Electron app". There are plenty of ways to do cross platform apps with "real code" rather than write a bunch of HTML, CSS and JavaScript... Qt, GTK, wxWidgets, Mono, IUP (I've at least tried most of these myself). The lure of writing a web app and magically creating a desktop app is too great for many people. Even Microsoft have gone down that dark path in recent years...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Brian Handscomb said:

The lure of writing a web app and magically creating a desktop app

I think not having to create the same feature several times in different operating systems is also quite important...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think not having to create the same feature several times in different operating systems is also quite important...

true, lazy programming is near future, AI programming in the future - we may soon return to potato-capable apps

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Piotas said:

true, lazy programming is near future, AI programming in the future - we may soon return to potato-capable apps

It's not about lazy programming, it's about competitive realities. EN could afford to maintain 5 different codebases back when Evernote and OneNote were the only "real" cross platform note apps. But times have changed, and the note app market has lots of competitors, a number of which have surpassed Evernote in some aspects of functionality. EN simply could not afford to move at a lumbering elephant's pace with 5 different codebases while their competitors are zooming ahead.

That's not to say I think they managed this transition well - in fact, I have been very critical of this spectacularly bungled process. But I do understand that the transition to a unified codebase was necessary.

• Like 5
On 2/11/2021 at 4:18 AM, pansovic said:

FWIW - I use and like Devonthink 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Good to know - if you are exclusively on Mac and iOS devices.

Sorry guys, no Windows or Android clients, and the makers of DT just made it clear again they are not working on anything for these platforms.

• Like 4

A week or two ago, I received my annual subscription renewal notice from Evernote which prompted me to revaluate the situation with this disastrous new Windows version.  I had already reverted back to the legacy version some months ago due to the removal of some important features (to me) such as the right click and save from Microsoft Outlook. 

I have no confidence in that feature or others ever being reintroduced into the Windows version nor do I have confidence that the legacy version will continue to be supported so I embarked upon a trial migration to Microsoft Onenote (which I already had as part of my Office 365 subscription).

The Onenote import tool did a good job of importing the Evernote data and, after a couple of hours of learning the Onenote structures and reorganizing my notes, I commenced a two week period of using both Evernote and Onenote.

Largely due to the removal of the Outlook right click save option, I have now let my Evernote subscription expire yesterday and will be moving exclusively to Onenote over the next 1-2 weeks. It's extremely  disappointing to me that, after so many years of using Evernote, I am forced to make that change but this latest version of Evernote has simply taken too much of a backwards step for me to continue with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, JRC said:

A week or two ago, I received my annual subscription renewal notice from Evernote which prompted me to revaluate the situation with this disastrous new Windows version.  I had already reverted back to the legacy version some months ago due to the removal of some important features (to me) such as the right click and save from Microsoft Outlook. 

I have no confidence in that feature or others ever being reintroduced into the Windows version nor do I have confidence that the legacy version will continue to be supported so I embarked upon a trial migration to Microsoft Onenote (which I already had as part of my Office 365 subscription).

The Onenote import tool did a good job of importing the Evernote data and, after a couple of hours of learning the Onenote structures and reorganizing my notes, I commenced a two week period of using both Evernote and Onenote.

Largely due to the removal of the Outlook right click save option, I have now let my Evernote subscription expire yesterday and will be moving exclusively to Onenote over the next 1-2 weeks. It's extremely  disappointing to me that, after so many years of using Evernote, I am forced to make that change but this latest version of Evernote has simply taken too much of a backwards step for me to continue with it.

^ This experience is something some of us pointed out a while back. It's easy to say "oh, just go back to v6 for now", and that's certainly very easy for Basic users (on desktop, but not so much on mobile), but for Premium users who aren't happy with recent events, that renewal date forces a bit of a choice. Do I cough up another $70 in light of broken workflows and uncertain prospects (not helped by terrible communication from the company)?

~8% of Premium users are having to answer that question every month. November, December, January, February - that's ~1/3 of the paying userbase having to answer that question.

v10 has probably allowed EN to shed some staff given the unified codebase, but it has undoubtedly been a significant hit to revenues.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, tavor said:

v10 has probably allowed EN to shed some staff given the unified codebase, but it has undoubtedly been a significant hit to revenues.

You seem to have access to inside information that the rest of us don't - I'd think the wastage Evernote is seeing from the 'power' users is probably more than being made up with new business.  The number of newbie queries on the forums has gone through the roof lately...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

The number of newbie queries on the forums has gone through the roof lately...

Yes, but will they stay the coming months or even years? 
Evernote made a risk analyzes and concluded that this was the right way and released V10. 
Some customers left, some joined... but the trust issues (for me personally) with Evernote are not restored. Lost multiple notes, and when you create new notes it is not guaranteed your data will stay the same or available. This is a big trust issue because you cannot check all your notes, every single update or new feature.

For example, day to day usage:

- You make a screenshot with web clipper and store your note in a safe place.
- After a while you decide to export your notebook for archiving.
- Later you import this notebook again... the screenshot is not shown  any more...

OR
- you annotate the screenshot. Same result: image is deleted... 

Yes it is a bug and will be fixed later...
But data integrity should have the highest priority for a note taking app which stores all data in the cloud environment. 

We will see if this data bug has higher priority that lets say: a shortcut key for the find command.

Edited by ArjenC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

For example, day to day usage:

- You make a screenshot with web clipper and store your note in a safe place.
- After a while you decide to export your notebook for archiving.
- Later you import this notebook again... the screenshot is not shown  any more...

OR
- you annotate the screenshot. Same result: image is deleted... 

OR
you choose a certain tag which has more than 500 notes, but only 17 are displayed 😞

• Like 2

When the new Evernote was released, I installed it. I use it predominantly on Macbook and iPhone, I immediately noticed it wasn't working properly.

I found changes to a note had not been saved. So, I made changes, but when looking at the other device the changes hadn't happened. So, I made the changes on the second device. Evernote then created 2 notes

I've worked in I.T. for years, so did a few tests and established that behaviour was erratic, whenever using the new MacOS version things got messed up.

What I always loved was that Evernote was so reliable in saving changes. Not anymore.

So, I discovered the Legacy edition, and have been working with that, which is all fine.

The new Evernote has been through a few updates so this weekend I gave it another chance. I found a note, changed a single word in that note. It said it had saved in the corner, went to my iPhone version. Nope. No change. I was NOT prepared to wait for propagation, as my whole faith in it was undermined.

So... I have now completed hours of work, mimicking my notebook structure in Apple Notes and then exporting one notebook of notes at a time, importing, and dragging into the appropriate folder in Apple Notes.

Evernote, I'll be cancelling my subscription. You've lost another customer, and simply because your new version doesn't work properly for me, just as so, so many other customers are saying.

I used to recommend Evernote to anyone and everyone, but sadly now it is the complete opposite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, oded said:

OR
you choose a certain tag which has more than 500 notes, but only 17 are displayed 😞

I've never seen this. Did this happen in EN 10.8.4 ?

This is normal behaviour if the search string was filled in before: the intention is that you first type the search string and then refine via the tag filters...

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

I've never seen this. Did this happen in EN 10.8.4 ?

This is normal behaviour if the search string was filled in before: the intention is that you first type the search string and then refine via the tag filters...

I'm not sure because I've deleted Evernote 10 after all these problems and moved to Legacy.
Anyway, no search string was filled in before.
All notes were displayed, I've selected a certain tag which had more than 500 notes and only 17 were displayed.
And every extra trial a different number of notes were displayed, but never the right one...
During the years I spent thousands of hours inserting "all my life" into EN, feeling I found exactly the perfect application - just what I needed!!
Like others, I've recommended EN to my family, friends etc.
Completely trusted EN.
No more.
I gave up.
Looking for an alternative.
Bye Bye EN.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, oded said:

I'm not sure because I've deleted Evernote 10 after all these problems and moved to Legacy.
Anyway, no search string was filled in before.
All notes were displayed, I've selected a certain tag which had more than 500 notes and only 17 were displayed.
And every extra trial a different number of notes were displayed, but never the right one...
During the years I spent thousands of hours inserting "all my life" into EN, feeling I found exactly the perfect application - just what I needed!!
Like others, I've recommended EN to my family, friends etc.
Completely trusted EN.
No more.
I gave up.
Looking for an alternative.
Bye Bye EN.

And what has been your alternative of choice? 

3 hours ago, Mike Mouse said:

When the new Evernote was released, I installed it. I use it predominantly on Macbook and iPhone, I immediately noticed it wasn't working properly.

I found changes to a note had not been saved. So, I made changes, but when looking at the other device the changes hadn't happened. So, I made the changes on the second device. Evernote then created 2 notes

I've worked in I.T. for years, so did a few tests and established that behaviour was erratic, whenever using the new MacOS version things got messed up.

What I always loved was that Evernote was so reliable in saving changes. Not anymore.

So, I discovered the Legacy edition, and have been working with that, which is all fine.

The new Evernote has been through a few updates so this weekend I gave it another chance. I found a note, changed a single word in that note. It said it had saved in the corner, went to my iPhone version. Nope. No change. I was NOT prepared to wait for propagation, as my whole faith in it was undermined.

So... I have now completed hours of work, mimicking my notebook structure in Apple Notes and then exporting one notebook of notes at a time, importing, and dragging into the appropriate folder in Apple Notes.

Evernote, I'll be cancelling my subscription. You've lost another customer, and simply because your new version doesn't work properly for me, just as so, so many other customers are saying.

I used to recommend Evernote to anyone and everyone, but sadly now it is the complete opposite.

Any alternative that has fulfilled your needs? 

10 minutes ago, pansovic said:

And what has been your alternative of choice? 

I'm not sure yet.
I have thousands of files, so I'm considering Google Drive, but nothing (except leaving EN) has been decided yet.

• Thanks 1

Just installed the ver 10 and thank god could revert to legacy app.  User since oct 11.....so much of my life and that of my family and our work enterprise is here....

new app needs to allow previous interface option or the major migration will be out ---- can you hear me devs?

this is evenote on a knife edge .....

ken

• Like 1

I know there is an legacy system, I did switch back (with help because of import / export issues) to make a new backup export file. So a had my data and so i can migrate to....

Legacy isn't available on mobile, 80% of the time I'm on mobile. So this is not a real solution, for my personal workflow.

My issue with Evernote today is: They know data is not secured, they know people experience data corruption and loss. And there is no disclaimer, there is no warning that this can happen to you. What does that say about the priority within the core of Evernote? How important is securing your data in the cloud, note-taking in it core is: Once you capture information is says their like it is captured, unless the customer edits.

When installing V10 a message should be displayed : Version 10 is an experimental version, data can be corrupted. Use legacy version for productional / sensitive / important data. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, gazumped said:

You seem to have access to inside information that the rest of us don't - I'd think the wastage Evernote is seeing from the 'power' users is probably more than being made up with new business.  The number of newbie queries on the forums has gone through the roof lately...

being EN user since 2009 I never felt the need to express myself on forum, until I was deceived by "upgrade" in November 2020 and my Evernote v6 become Evernote v10. If only I know what kind of downgrade it is, I would never "upgrade".

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I see more people give this advice, I followed this advice... not without consequences. I lost important notes due to sync issues between v10 and legacy... I had some help in trying to restore notes, but was unsuccessful. Weeks later i've discoverd issues with existing notes. Older notes that that where imported and migrated from old version  to v10 and back again, static notes for reference. Because I cannot check all 10k+ notes I must trust data integrity...

So when you advice install the legacy version please also advice: Make a proper backup in case migration breaks / fails.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

of course I did install the legacy product soon after I encountered a bug that made using EV v10 impossible in several non-US locale, including Polish, Latvian, Turkish and US-International.

Imagine after installing Evernote on your PC, you cannot type text in ANY app because every time you enter letter V, your systems hangs.

They solve this bug in version 10.8.4. After 4 months of pretending this issue doesn't exist.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Then what ere you doing here - announcing you will run, really, I mean after the shoes are laced, yes now, but first need to take a sip from my water bottle, but believe me, will run, after ...

RUN !

If you think that Onenote (for example) has no issues then you are wrong. Lots on their Reddits etc about loss of data, lock outs, slow syncing.

I'm no EN fanboy, but surely if it's that bad go somewhere else. Stop complaining here and use the forum for the "new super note app" to tell them how great the new alternative product is.

In my experience the alternative that does it all doesn't exist. Ian Small has been sensible in his interviews, the changes are for the many, not the superusers. I believe him when he says missing features will come back.

Keep the faith. Or tell me where the mythical better product is....

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

If you think that Onenote (for example) has no issues then you are wrong. Lots on their Reddits etc about loss of data, lock outs, slow syncing.

I'm no EN fanboy, but surely if it's that bad go somewhere else. Stop complaining here and use the forum for the "new super note app" to tell them how great the new alternative product is.

In my experience the alternative that does it all doesn't exist. Ian Small has been sensible in his interviews, the changes are for the many, not the superusers. I believe him when he says missing features will come back.

Keep the faith. Or tell me where the mythical better product is....

Reading your post might give the impression that I'm the only one who's complaining here...
Just read all the posts and tell me how many users complain?
Tell me also how many users say they're going somewhere else, just looking for the best place to go.
That's exactly what I'm doing!
The fact that I failed once doesn't mean I have to fail again...
Btw, I don't need any extra features.
I need a very simple application that works flawlessly!!
If EN would continue to support Legacy, just as it is now, that would be all I need!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

There is a nice concept with alternatives. If you believe you have your winner picked, you take your time to find the „best alternative“ - which is the next best fit to your use profile, not a better one.

Then compare both. If they are close, thinking about switching may be worth the effort. But if the next best solution is far off, you learned something as well.

For me currently EN legacy is (still) my best fit. V10 may or may not be the best alternative right now, but it likely will become so while it evolves further. As legacy is still supported, I have no need to actually go down this road NOW.

With many postings here about dread and misery, I have problems to see structured thinking. The typical argument goes „I have a problem, all is bad, the company is doomed, I need to grab my data and run“. OK, when in panic mode, then RUN …

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For me currently EN legacy is (still) my best fit.

Likewise, EN Legacy is my choice    
I'm well aware of the alternatives pro & con, but have no need for switching (at present)

• Like 1

E

N V10.8 for Mac : hope for the poor user we are?

like everyone here I try ro find my future EN

Since 2012 I had 13000 notes in my Macs some says it’s my second brain, it’s an everyday work with the Gtd process (thanks David) . I evaluate all alternatives  without success (Joplin, national, Bear...) and I discover  Roams Research.

i found the same exaltation ( so french !) when I discover EN, with a new way to  create notes.Roams permit you to link notes them in both the way. And I discover the ZETTELKASTEN method an incredible  process to build your references.

But...there is but...

How many times I spend to change? Is it dangerous for my data ? What did i lose in the end ?

The effort is too high !

And there is EN 10.8 I have tried and it seems better than the previous one. It misses many features essential for me but... we progress...

I think now it’s urgent to waiting for the next one.
And organise a big pressure to get what we want. I think now it’s possible.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:48 AM, pansovic said:

With MS product, do you mean Microsoft? Like which MS product? 

Microsoft OneNote. I'm back to OneNote (on Mac) and it's not as bad as it used to be, much more stable than it was in 2017. Certainly not as bad as Evernote 10.

I've been a non-paying / deadbeat user for more than 10 years, not ashamed of that, but given EN's behavior they seem to be firing their old user base and searching for a new one. As a free tier user I don't feel confident that Evernote will keep my data safe and available for the long haul so I had to switch.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

At least Microsoft is sort of a sure bet. Still I am glad I am not any longer subject to the dull decision making of IT departments that take the „industry standard“ and push it on all users.

Tried OneNote, felt like it was from Microsoft, did not like it, and that was it.

23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Then what ere you doing here - announcing you will run, really, I mean after the shoes are laced, yes now, but first need to take a sip from my water bottle, but believe me, will run, after ...

RUN !

Why are you defending the EN? Have you been able to find anything positive on the v10? This is not a sarcastic question. This is a genuine and honest ask for help in making v10 useful in our everyday life. I can only see that it is a total disaster, and apparently, I am not the only one. As such, I cannot understand your point of view: it's slow, we lose notes, we get duplicates. These are not opinions on some polished version that we like or not. Those are the fundamentals of whatever note-taking program on which EN is not even delivering on. Do they really need our feedback and features request on such basic things? To me, it sounds more like a ship without a captain, or a captain that successfully has destroyed his own ship. Of course, I must be wrong, but I don't know why. Do you? So, I also want to run, but with 20.000 notes over the last 10 years it's easier said than done. 

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a nice concept with alternatives. If you believe you have your winner picked, you take your time to find the „best alternative“ - which is the next best fit to your use profile, not a better one.

Then compare both. If they are close, thinking about switching may be worth the effort. But if the next best solution is far off, you learned something as well.

For me currently EN legacy is (still) my best fit. V10 may or may not be the best alternative right now, but it likely will become so while it evolves further. As legacy is still supported, I have no need to actually go down this road NOW.

With many postings here about dread and misery, I have problems to see structured thinking. The typical argument goes „I have a problem, all is bad, the company is doomed, I need to grab my data and run“. OK, when in panic mode, then RUN …

I totally agree with you. Legacy is still better than any other alternative. But doesn't it worry you that the latest version is terribly worse than the previous one? Do you have one example of another company that has done the same? Doesn't that tell you more about the state of EN management and the EN company?

V10 may or may not be the best alternative right now, but it likely will become so while it evolves further.

The problem I have personally @PinkElephant is that EN have chosen to develop this in a very slow cross platform tool.   I'm a developer and I find it very hard to see how they are going to get significant performance boosts out of the Electron platform they've chosen to develop the new v10 with.    It's not exactly known for performance, even still I must congratulate the EN team on producing such a slow comparatively simple program.   

This is after all a note taking program.  Not an NLE... not a 3d animation studio... no, a note taking program.   It should run liquid fast on anything made in the last 10 years.     I have a cutting edge brand new top of the range mobile and it runs insanely slow.   It's just an embarrassment. 

And so for me, I really can't see a future with EN as I just can't imagine them obtaining anything near fast performance with this platform they've chosen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I totally agree with you. Legacy is still better than any other alternative. But doesn't it worry you that the latest version is ...

I'm not participating in the Version 10 testing, so ... no worries

I do monitor the progress and I'll get involved when the product is ready for general use

• Level 5

Maybe I am just not testing the limits as power users may do - I am just running my little setup. Some features are still not supported by v10, so legacy continues to be my work horse. But I shift more and more over to v10, running both side by side.

Now surprise: I am not running into data loss, note duplication, hot CPU, and whatever gets reported here. From threads where I could help solve issues, I have the impression that often there are some corrupted elements from the first v10 generations (that were dreadful) never really removed from the computers. New updates are installed on top, but the underlying problem is not removed.

IMHO this is the main objective reason why some people still suffer problems with the current v10 releases. I am on 10.8.4 on my Mac, 10.5 on iOS, and everything is working.

There are still some features missing on both platforms, which can be compensated on the Mac by using legacy. On iOS it is wait and see until they get it released. But it is far from the disaster cries I read in some postings. Even with the current state of v10, it is hard to find another software that does the same job I am doing day by day using EN.

But everybody can post his alternatives here - it got pretty quiet about that in the last weeks.

• Like 1

And what makes you so sure, that your way of thinking is correct? Are you a senior Delivery Manager with insider info? Or complexity scientist? Or mayby just someone with over-inflated ego? 😉

Maybe other see, that EvN doesn't deliver trust. EvN team is unable to communicate things properly, unable to assure safety of data. Maybe people just instinctively feel that Evn turned into immature dilettante company. Moreover, a company which may collapse/disappear soon...

Or they main device is iOS based and there is no legacy...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Did it ever cross your mind that solving a situation very often can’t be reached by reversing course ? When a fat tanker is set for a rock, you can give left or right rudder. But if you try full reverse thrust, you will hit the cliff right on.

EN started 2 years ago to move down the path that led to v10. Even when there are still working legacy clients, I doubt that the structure to support them longer term is still existing. 

This leads to a simple conclusion: EN must make v10 a success - or they are in trouble.

Personally I am more optimistic about a positive outcome than I have been a few month ago. My gut feeling it that legacy will carry MY use cases (that must not be yours) until v10 is ready. Even today I can do appr. 80% of my workflows using only v10.

Others seem to be more pessimistic. If you are, and do not trust EN to be your solution for the next (say) 5 years, you have 2 options: Move NOW, or prepare your alternative, and move when ready.

My understanding for staying with EN and at the same time calling armageddon in the forum is exactly zero. Because it tells that somebody talks one talk, and acts another. This is nothing I can take serious.

• Like 3