Hate the new Evernote

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, princetonmum said:

The new version of Evernote is awful. It's slow. Nothing works. DON'T be a fool and be talked into to upgrading!

Most people won't check here before taking that step,  but fortunately there's an easy way to get back to the previous version...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Level 5

Anybody can upgrade. 

And everybody working with a desktop (Win & Mac) can install the legacy client side by side, and choose to work with either client. One advantage of legacy is that this client will not ask to upgrade - it simply stays in this final release as long as it is supported.

The same day legacy will stop to work, all older versions AFAIK will stop to work as well. So ignoring v10 is no long term strategy. When EN decides to make that switch, there will be time to make the move then. Or install v10 now, and start to adapt your workflows to it.

What a wreck this update is!!

I feel fooled after many years paying for Premium subscribtion. That's a shame.

Nearly 40 secondes only to get access to a simple note that used to open in 2 seconds before.

Can't remember a worse user experience, even with freewares.

How can someone think that removing features and slowing a soft is an upgrade?!?

I'm afraid that Evernote have lost the plot.  This used to be a great product but the new "architecture" has made the product very slow.  I'm on a new mac mini - everything else works fine - but not Evernote.  There are delays when typing a note and it has got so bad now that I think it's the end of the road.  If I can't type a note on Evernote consistently then I can't use the product.  Goodbye Evernote.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Or install v10 now, and start to adapt your workflows to it.

Hmmm ok... so evernote 10 is orders of magnitude slower than the previous version... I better start planning 18 hour days in order to adapt.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Some time ago I mindlessly updated Evernote to the "new version" and then trouble started. Slow notes, vanishing content in windows, export options gone. It looks more like an "air" application - one that uses a web browser disguised as an app than an actual application built with my OS in mind (OSX).

What boggled my mind is that on my laptop I still had the old version and it was SO MUCH BETTER. So I dug a little and realized I could use the "Legacy" evernote. I've swapped icons now in my OSX dock and use Legacy exclusively.

It is irritating that Evernote would push an app that is clearly a downgrade and have us work thru its issues, in the hopes of some distant payout. I don't see what need they had to rebuild something that was working well for something that is crappy at best.

I suppose at some point in the future I may be required to make another decision - The Legacy might stop working, or it might not work well on Apple silicon. At that point in time my decision won't be upgrade or not. It will be upgrade or migrate to another service. I really hope Evernote gets their *** together with the client. Right now it is horrible and if I had to make the decision today I would probably switch to competing product.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, oded said:

Reading your post might give the impression that I'm the only one who's complaining here...
Just read all the posts and tell me how many users complain?
Tell me also how many users say they're going somewhere else, just looking for the best place to go.
That's exactly what I'm doing!
The fact that I failed once doesn't mean I have to fail again...
Btw, I don't need any extra features.
I need a very simple application that works flawlessly!!
If EN would continue to support Legacy, just as it is now, that would be all I need!

Sorry, this wasn't pointed at you personally, and I understand the frustration.  I hadn't been adversely affected by the updates until today.

Today I have been using the desktop windows version and was trying to update an existing work template for a new project and found that EN couldn't keep up with my typing,  I am a two finger typist. 

It was like being on a dial up connection to a forum in the early 90's.  I had to cut and paste the template to a Word document to be able to work on it in the end.  This never used to be the case.

So maybe Onenote is the best alternative for what I do and is the answer for me.  The EN sluggishness has only just started affecting me.  Also ON has improved its syncing and resilience over the last 12 months.

I still don't think ON is as good as the old EN, but then clearly neither is EN!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gazebo said:

found that EN couldn't keep up with my typing,  I am a two finger typist. 

Amazing. Months after the release, v10 is the disaster that keeps on giving.

We have seen multiple users complaining about sluggishness in various aspects, but nothing is as maddening as when an app cannot keep up with your typing. Doesn't matter how good a note app is in other aspects, if I have to wait for it to catch up with my typing, that's a fatal flaw.

• Like 4
On 10/20/2020 at 10:01 AM, Riggar said:

Thanks for nothing. In one swoop you have completely destroyed my workflow and 7 years worth of an information database.

Many moons ago with the idiotic limitation of 250 notebooks I was forced to go the tagging route. That took a whole weekend to re-organise 3000+ notes. BUT once set up it did work well and no longer a limit on a high level entity. 

Today that's all gone - colour coded tag tiles gone. AND when you go to a tag area and create a new note you are bounced to ALL notes - the new note is not kept with the tag set. 

OK so I thought I'd look at Notebooks again and moving notes within tag to a Notebook - oh no the data is lost - brilliant how can that possibly happen!

This is a complete waste of space - and I am now looking at moving out of Evernote to something else - I just hope that the receiving software can read in Evernote data.

you can export EN notes to the "Notion" app, they have a web-client and android/ios apps.  the export process is pretty straightforward too.  currently I'm paying for BOTH EN premium and Notion's basic, non-free tier, which maybe means I'm not using my tools in an "ideal"fashion", but at the moment it seems to be working well enough...

14 hours ago, Gazebo said:

Sorry, this wasn't pointed at you personally, and I understand the frustration.  I hadn't been adversely affected by the updates until today.

Today I have been using the desktop windows version and was trying to update an existing work template for a new project and found that EN couldn't keep up with my typing,  I am a two finger typist. 

It was like being on a dial up connection to a forum in the early 90's.  I had to cut and paste the template to a Word document to be able to work on it in the end.  This never used to be the case.

So maybe Onenote is the best alternative for what I do and is the answer for me.  The EN sluggishness has only just started affecting me.  Also ON has improved its syncing and resilience over the last 12 months.

I still don't think ON is as good as the old EN, but then clearly neither is EN!

A problem with onenote is that notes created in the desktop version cannot be viewed or edited in the web version.

2 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

A problem with onenote is that notes created in the desktop version cannot be viewed or edited in the web version

That might be historic - I’ve been using desktop, web and mobile for work projects for 12 months on Windows, Chrome, IOS and Android and it’s been fine. Downsides are slow to load when changing device, and I had some sync and notebook issues, but that was when I first had to use it. (Our corporate preference is ONeNote). It’s been solid for months.

13 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

That might be historic - I’ve been using desktop, web and mobile for work projects for 12 months on Windows, Chrome, IOS and Android and it’s been fine. Downsides are slow to load when changing device, and I had some sync and notebook issues, but that was when I first had to use it. (Our corporate preference is ONeNote). It’s been solid for months.

First of all, there are TWO desktop OneNote Apps, free dumbed down OneNote for Windows 10 that is tied to OneDrive and  OneNote 2016 tied to paid Office 365 subscription. Different apps, different feature set. First app is very similar to Evernote v10...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

A problem with onenote is that notes created in the desktop version cannot be viewed or edited in the web version.

Unnoticed the same problem with Evernote v10; Evernote (lecacy) html notes are sometimes non-editable blocks of text while edited on Evernote v10.

• Confused 1
50 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

This is a problem i have every week at work. It hasn't gone away. If you create a note on the desktop OneNote app and try to open it with the web OneNote app a message is displayed "OneNote is not compatible with this note format" or something similar. It's very annoying.

• Confused 1
7 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

This is a problem i have every week at work. It hasn't gone away. If you create a note on the desktop OneNote app and try to open it with the web OneNote app a message is displayed "OneNote is not compatible with this note format" or something similar. It's very annoying.

I use desktop OneNote (full version, MS-Office 365 subscription)

I can also edit my OneNote notes using browser (Edge or Firefox). They synchronize with desktop app in no time. Zero issues.

Are your notes in the current (OneNote 2016) format or maybe in the previous/older one?

2 hours ago, Kolmir said:

I use desktop OneNote (full version, MS-Office 365 subscription)

I can also edit my OneNote notes using browser (Edge or Firefox). They synchronize with desktop app in no time. Zero issues.

Are your notes in the current (OneNote 2016) format or maybe in the previous/older one?

I have no idea. I think we're using the most recent version of OneNote. In the browser I can edit some notes, but not all.

I think this is fairly typical of Microsoft. They want to keep you in their ecosystem. 

41 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

I have no idea. I think we're using the most recent version of OneNote. In the browser I can edit some notes, but not all.

There is a possibility, that you're using the newest version of the app, but you work with some documents created with much older version. Therefore content of those notes may still be in an old format.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/convert-a-notebook-to-a-different-format-52e2f763-e138-4f6b-8de2-48362b6fe76a

If not, I have no other idea. For me OneNotes work fine in desktop/mobile apps and in browsers.

9 hours ago, Kolmir said:

There is a possibility, that you're using the newest version of the app, but you work with some documents created with much older version. Therefore content of those notes may still be in an old format.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/convert-a-notebook-to-a-different-format-52e2f763-e138-4f6b-8de2-48362b6fe76a

If not, I have no other idea. For me OneNotes work fine in desktop/mobile apps and in browsers.

No this is with new notes that I make using the desktop app. 

On 2/17/2021 at 3:04 PM, DTLow said:

I renewed until October 2021, but turned off the automatic renewal
I'm currently using Evernote Legacy on my Mac, but doubt I'll continue after October
Not a hater; the new Evernote doesn't meet my requirements

I've always maintained an Evernote exit plan, more solidly developed in these problem months
I'm completely ready to switch from Evernote at any time

What are the things to think about in an "Evernote Exit plan"

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, LibertyMom said:

What are the things to think about in an "Evernote Exit plan"

#1  Exporting  data (Notes, Attachments, metadata)
       - Evernote has an export feature, however it's crippled in the Version 10 product

#2  Maintaining organization structure (Notebooks/Tags)

#3  Replacing the EN user interface with something equally user friendly
      Replacing the EN features

• Like 2

Its been a solid 8 year run on Evernote premium, the new app is so slow and so terrible they forced my hand. I finally spent half my weekend exporting all my notes to Apple Notes and now couldn't be happier. It does exactly what I want: Takes notes, works across all my devices, loads instantly, doesn't interrupt my workflow with stupid announcements about a "new version coming soon". No bugs, No missing notes requiring me to restart the app. Just works. It even has an encrypted note feature! Thank you Apple.

Now I've discovered Evernote make it impossible to delete my account for good. Their own documentation about how to delete your account is now no longer accurate so i've had to contact support just to have my account deleted. It's baffling to me that all they had to do was to not mess up the notes app and they managed to mess it so bad that someone as lazy as me finally moved off it. Yikes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's taken me a lot of work to try out various different solutions.      I went with Note Joy.

It isn't a perfect fit for me but its light weight and pretty fast.     I need something simple for just text and images that is fast and reliable with historical archival features.

What is great to see is that as a small company they are really responsive and something I asked for inclusion has already been added to the software (it had been requested already but it seemed that me asking as well assisted).   I've already ended up having a few conversations with the CEO as a result of msgs I left asking if x or y is possible.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, pansovic said:

which one?

11 hours ago, AdamJ said:

It's taken me a lot of work to try out various different solutions.      I went with Note Joy.

It isn't a perfect fit for me but its light weight and pretty fast.     I need something simple for just text and images that is fast and reliable with historical archival features.

What is great to see is that as a small company they are really responsive and something I asked for inclusion has already been added to the software (it had been requested already but it seemed that me asking as well assisted).   I've already ended up having a few conversations with the CEO as a result of msgs I left asking if x or y is possible.

Thanks for sharing. It hasn't been my preference because, for what I understand, it syncs with Evernote, so you cannot really replace it and delete the EN account. Also the tables are not working with NoteJoy. 

Reading the release notes for Windows it is tragic to see how functionality that is standard in Legacy is now communicated as an improvement when it is added back to V10:

Global keyboard shortcut editing is now available via the keyboard shortcuts reference menu. Don’t like the way a global keyboard shortcut is set up? Change it! You can now edit global keyboard shortcuts to find the perfect combination of characters. Access the keyboard shortcuts menu by using Ctrl/Cmd + /

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Re: the latest Android update, just return to letting users begin typing a tag to filter, tap a tag to select and show the tag(s) that have been selected. The new update leaves users in the dark as to what tags have been applied and at times leaves those same tags preselected for future web clips. It is incredibly horrendous. Do your developers even use the platform? I can't see how, unless they are intent on sabotaging the company.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, Slydo said:

Re: the latest Android update

If anyone has a gripe about a specific version of Evernote,  it's better to make it in the actual Android (or other) Forum,  since this thread is 8 pages long now and likely not a priority read for the developers.

23 hours ago, Slydo said:

Do your developers even use the platform?

...who aren't 'ours' as this is a (mainly) user-supported Forum,  though the Devs still read comments here... in their copious free time...  <_<

• Like 1

Slow Evernote on mobile:  On my mobile I haven't been able to add any note to the app for the last 10 days. Version 10.5.1 is a failure. The desktop version on Windows still works normally. Can anyone suggest me to export all my notes to other app? Help needed.
Sarayuth, March 3, 2021 10.10 pm in Bangkok (+7 London time).
Plus member for many years.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, Slydo said:

Re: the latest Android update, just return to letting users begin typing a tag to filter, tap a tag to select and show the tag(s) that have been selected. The new update leaves users in the dark as to what tags have been applied and at times leaves those same tags preselected for future web clips. It is incredibly horrendous. Do your developers even use the platform? I can't see how, unless they are intent on sabotaging the company.

I'm confused by this. Are you talking about searching using tags, adding tags to notes or adding tags to new notes shared from a web browser?

On 3/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, Slydo said:

Do your developers even use the platform? I can't see how, unless they are intent on sabotaging the company.

This is what I find so interesting as well !

Ok sure, I assume the idiot managers likely don't use Evernote much but surely someone in the company must!?!   If they did though I just don't see how on earth they would have released it.  Baffling to me.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While agreeing with most of the critique in this thread, my point is that EN 10.8 is truly dumbed down and no longer gives you control over the advanced settings that previous versions had.

Som critical things are removed and even right click is gone, no customizable menu bar and  the GUI is also working against you and I have to jump through hoops to create a "bunch of notebooks" and the list of complaints goes on!

For me there is no reason to stay with EN with the client in this state of dyslectic functionality, so please listen to this serious feedback EN and bring back the features you stole from us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm thinking of moving to OneNote too. The new Evernote is just AWFUL. So many features have been disabled, my Evernote scanner no longer works with it, one has to constantly be connected to the internet to use many of the notes. It's a mess! I've tried working with Evernote support and they've been of very little use. I used to LOVE Evernote and recommended it to everyone I knew and even paid for all my kids to use Premium. I would not recommend it any more. It's that bad!

• Like 5

A few days ago saw Mac 7.14 (non Legacy) pop up a big message saying this version was no longer receiving updates and it was time to upgrade to a new version... Dismissed it and went to double check the update check option... still disabled... Seems like even pre "Legacy" they at some point implemented a sneaky "back door" update notification system...

Might be time to investigate the "robert7" fork of NixNote2 which uses Qt... I already use it on Linux (alongside old official Mac, Windows and Android clients, not so much iOS now).

From the About Qt blurb... "Qt provides single-source portability across all major desktop operating systems. It is also available for embedded Linux and other embedded and mobile operating systems."

Imagine if Evernote had decided to go down this route, rather than start with "hey what we need to do is re-write Evernote in a interpreted language rather than a compiled one - we're sure people won't notice it getting slower..."

I also HATE the renewed Evernote.

I hate it when I want to open Evernote, and I click the system tray icon I then need to click an extra button to open Evernote (I liked it better to just click the system tray icon to open Evernote).

I hate it when I want to open a weblink in Evernote I have to click the link and then have to click the link again in a pop-up, and lots of times it still doesn't open the webpage in my webbrowser.

It was possible to show my favorites in a top bar; now EN doesn't have that option anymore.
It was possible to show the note-list on top, and the note on the bottom; now EN doesn't have that option anymore.

Also, all of a sudden, EverNote has decided to spell check, and there is no option to turn this off. It is only in English, and most of my notes are NOT in English. Quite annoying.

I hate that all of the fonts have gone.

I have been a faithful EN-user since 2010, sent a lot of new users and a lot of money your way, but I think I'll switch to another app.
  • Like 9
  • Level 5

If you hate it, move on. Having bad feelings when opening an app is not worth the loss in life quality or lifetime.

For the time being: You can turn off spell checking in the EN v10 settings. 

Or switch to legacy, which makes it easier as well to export your data.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

@Laura Josepha I would check that you are using the most up to date version (10.8.5). Quite a few of the  issues you list have been resolved.

Actually, this is my version:

10.8.5-win-ddl-public (2367)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.5

That is the most recent one. Let's check my complaints again:

1. I hate it when I want to open Evernote, and I click the system tray icon I then need to click an extra button to open Evernote (I liked it better to just click the system tray icon to open Evernote). -> Still true.
  2. I hate it when I want to open a weblink in Evernote I have to click the link and then have to click the link again in a pop-up, and lots of times it still doesn't open the webpage in my webbrowser. -> I know that this feature has been restored in the latest version, but I notice that it just doesn't work like it should all the time.
  3. It was possible to show my favorites in a top bar; now EN doesn't have that option anymore. -> Still true.
  4. It was possible to show the note-list on top, and the note on the bottom; now EN doesn't have that option anymore. -> Still true.
  5. Also, all of a sudden, EverNote has decided to spell check, and there is no option to turn this off. It is only in English, and most of my notes are NOT in English. Quite annoying. -> I know that this feature has been restored in the latest version, so now it is possible to turn this off. But it is still not possible to check the spelling in each note in a different language, or to switch languages halfway through the note. See also:
  6. I hate that all of the fonts have gone. -> Still true.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Laura Josepha said:

2. Fortunately ths works reliably for me.

4. Isn't this just the top list view which has now been reintroduced for some time?

• Like 1
On 3/7/2021 at 10:21 AM, Laura Josepha said:

I am happy that Evernote recently solved system-wide bug of hardcoded keyboard conflict with default keybind in my language (and serveral others); but I still do consider Evernote v10 inferior product compared to Evernote Legacy.

I am using Joplin (for text notes) alongside with Evernote (for media-rich archiving), unfortunately most options available are inferior to Evernote Legacy.

• Like 2

I still hate the new Evernote. 
It's slow, has still plenty of bugs that most likely will never get fixed and I just hate the user experience. I never got used to the new search function and desperately miss the tag filter. I still don't understand why I can't center images. The tried the styles features once, didn't work (not all formatting was applied), never tried again. 

But I got an invitation to the early access version that introduces tasks...I ignored it. I am not interested in the what the company Evernote produces anymore. Your products are bad. You managed to destroy a notes app. You won't be able to create a good task function. 

• Like 5

Ever since the update it's been so slow, I can barely use it. I was fond of Evernote but it seems like I'm going to have to look for alternatives. I'm certainly not going to pay more money to a service that's not working just in hopes of getting some technical support.

8 hours ago, kthesun said:

and desperately miss the tag filter

I'm sure it would be helpful for the developers if you could explain why the current tag filter is not meeting your needs. I have some reasons why I think it is inferior but I don't want to put words in your mouth!

UPDATE. Sorry I found you had already described why it doesn't meet your needs here:

• Thanks 1

I went to Onenote, but I'm back. 

I couldn't get reliable syncing, and the web clipper isn't as good. Getting emails into it from gmail wasn't 100% effective, though, as you'd expect, adding from Outlook was brilliant.

Anyway, the upshot was, that although although EN lacks some features and has taken some mis-steps, I still prefer to stick with them, as from my personal perspective and for my workflows  EN still offers a better package. 

4 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

A word of warning about OneNote. Notes created in the desktop client cannot be read in the web client.

Please stop spreading fake news. Your case is isolated. Have you contacted support? Researched ON forums/Google?

OneNote works pretty well in desktop app and in web browser for me and many others.

41 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

I couldn't get reliable syncing, and the web clipper isn't as good.

Strange... For me OneNote sync works better than EvN v10.

40 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

Please stop spreading fake news. Your case is isolated. Have you contacted support? Researched ON forums/Google?

OneNote works pretty well in desktop app and in web browser for me and many others.

Strange... For me OneNote sync works better than EvN v10.

This is really a known problem, at least among developers at my company. 

For the sake of balance, I'm adding my experience with EN v10. People are obviously having major problems - problems I won't discount but I don't understand because I'm not experiencing them. I'm adding these comments so that those searching for Evernote reviews don't discount it completely.

Version 10 is working find for me. I have found no problems with performance - no slower than earlier versions. Searches work fine, I'm able to create and read notes on both Windows 10 and Android. There are some annoyances - I agree with the comment about it being annoying to have to do an extra step to open Evernote, and for a while you couldn't turn off spell-checking. But these aren't show stoppers for me. I like the new note editor with predefined headers.

I use EN primarily as a file cabinet for keeping records such as receipts for tax purposes, and OneNote has no capability in that regard. I considered Nimbus Note for a while which is very similar to EN and is cheaper. But I soon found its performance to be slower than EN and the editor was annoying.

One major concern: I want to be able to back up my data locally - more than 50 notes at a time.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, jlady said:

One major concern: I want to be able to back up my data locally - more than 50 notes at a time.

I've never tried it but does the 50 note limit apply if you export an entire notebook? In the notebook screen right click and choose export or use the three dots menu.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I've never tried it but does the 50 note limit apply if you export an entire notebook? In the notebook screen right click and choose export or use the three dots menu.

No limit - the entire notebook is exported

• Like 1

Today I have cancelled my 7 years lasting premium account. Unfortunately Evernote forced me to look for another tool, due to the disaster of the last 2 years which ends in an unstable, slow and unconfident tool and loss of data. But the good thing is, .. I have found a new tool which is offers me a lot of more options, which is really fast and smart, .. and provides a complete document management on top: DEVONthink

It caused me many hours to bring all my evernote notes into DevonThink, .. but now I am happy that the evernote disaster has an end for me.

I wish you all good luck and hope the best for you!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Markus (Graz) said:

DEVONthink

Still an Evernote Legacy user, but I like the Devonthink app    
I'm really into scripting and appreciate the heavy Applescript integration

Warning     
- It's Apple only (Mac/IOS) and no web access    
- Make sure you backup your data   
  There's no sync to a server maintaining a master data version

• Like 2

I am so disappointed in the new evernote.  I was part of the beta - I provided so much feedback and i'm fairly certain it was ignored.  I have years of evernote - and am a paying user.  I dont' know what to do next - i supposed I could just use the free note taking ability that Microsoft includes with my paid for office subscription.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 11/5/2020 at 2:18 AM, neverever said:

I've implemented GTD on EN for all my work life and personal life workflows.  Every project, task, checklist, reminder, todo, plan, list, history, reference, dreaming, whatever you call it, whatever you name it, is in EN.  This is across Win, Mac, and iOS, and I've become a completely "paper less" person in doing so, and have been a subscriber for the past 10+ years.  I've endorsed and recommended EN to anyone and everyone, and preached how GTD on EN has changed my life, and like they say become "Mind like Water".   Now, I have to seriously rethink this to make it technology and future proof, but I'll come up with something.  I'm looking on Reddit for posted alternatives, but nothing sticks yet...I'll letcha know if I'm successful?

I'm with you on this totally.  The new version is a mess.  I use the previous version on an older Mac and it's a far better experience.  This is a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.  Trouble is, Evernote has you by the short and curlies — especially if you've been a devotee for a decade or more. So much of people's lives is now embedded in the Evernote universe that to give it up would be mentally painful, let alone a waste of time.  I'm really stuck as too what is best to do. Re-instate my scanner and printer, and make more use of iCloud I guess . . . . 

• Like 2
On 3/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, DTLow said:

Warning     

I looked at Devonthink and found it to be nonsensical.  Note taking is meant to be just that, not re-inventing the wheel . . .  why do app developers make everything overly complicated?  Most of the real world hasn't got a clue about "s c r i p t i n g" or "c o d e".  I hate being so dismissive, but I have an aversion to geeks who haunt the corridors of these forums waiting to patronise those who are just trying to get through the day with a little mental pain as possible.

With every respect to you, but would your mother understand this statement:

" There's no sync to a server maintaining a master data version"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The story so far:

No ability to change the keyboard shortcuts so I can use shortcuts set up to use on my Mac, such as entering today's date in a specific format.

Cannot access Stacks when moving notes within its own edit window.

Moving 1500 notes from said stack to my Work Notebook takes forever because Evernote can't cope with more than 50 notes at a time.

And yet we can send a spaceship to Mars.

• Like 2
On 11/10/2020 at 3:13 PM, DavidJR said:

OMG! I cannot believe that I wake up and get to work and have to spend hours trying to get this latest version to work! The date cannot be inserted in the title! This is critical as I have a diary and title each note by the date. I am sure many others do the same and now I cannot use the keyboard shortcut to add the date. 

Also, I do not want to have a preview window. I want all my notes to show and then to double click whatever note I want to pop out and work on. I have already spent an hour trying to get rid of the preview window with no success. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, DTLow said:

Warning     

On 12/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, WilliamL said:

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable. It’s getting exhausting now cause here’s the thing - if you want to leave, that is your choice, no judgement, we are customers and have the right to use what we feel suits us best. 

You have a Premium subscription but somehow think its OK for those of us who also have a Premium subscription to put up with something that's effectively outdated? What are we, second class citizens or something? We pay a subscription to look forward to improvements and a better product, not to be told to stick with an unsupported "legacy" product.  Sorry, but this is making me very angry.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, jmshrrsn said:

Why should Premium subscribers have to put up with this "go back to the legacy version".  This is criminal.

Because legacy version is much better than the new one, and as far as I'm concerned, it's currently the only way to keep on using EN.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, jmshrrsn said:

Why should Premium subscribers have to put up with this "go back to the legacy version".  This is criminal.

I don't know about "criminal", but I find it a useful solution to the Version 10 problems
I wish we had the same solution for IOS

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, jmshrrsn said:

With every respect to you, but would your mother understand this statement:

Probably not, but my mother had many other talents
And at the age of 80, she asked me to get her a computer and learned how to use it

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The shortcuts can be changed, the option is in the help menu.

Sorry, but they can't.  Only Evernote's "Global Shortcuts".  I use Command and Backspace to insert the date but that is fixed in Evernote to add a tag.

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't know about "criminal", but I find it a useful solution to the Version 10 problems
I wish we had the same solution for IOS

But being told to use the legacy version is like spending £30k on the latest spec GTi and then being told to drive last year's model.

• Like 2
Just now, jmshrrsn said:

But being told to use the legacy version is like spending £30k on the latest spec GTi and then being told to drive last year's model.

App developers have to stop making a big song and dance about a new version and getting people to update when, despite beta testing, it still doesn't function correctly.  This is the kind of attitude that brings down airliners.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, jmshrrsn said:

I see that you can no longer export to HTML.  That's handy.

We've been told additional export options are imminent - no timetable given     
I use the html option for my backups (Legacy)

jmshrrsn commented - I looked at Devonthink and found it to be nonsensical.  Note taking is meant to be just that,

I'm a hard core Devonthink fan and agree with you. For myself DT is a Swiss army like tool that I use to store tons of content from all over. Its part tool and part hobby which most user don't want in their apps. :) 

However - If someone asked for a notebook recommendation - DT wouldn't make the list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

Note: DT is Mac & iOS only. It installs locally, with a cloud sync option. It is not a server based software, which means you must take your own precautions to run backups. Mac users will do this with TimeMachine, not difficult to set up.

DT requires significantly more learning effort than EN, which is paid of by a more customizable, powerful tool. The iOS client is not as complete as the EN mobile client.

As a loyal (so far...) premium user I have decided to stick with the "legacy" version as long as I am not forced to update.

UNTIL / IF the new "experience" version is fixed to be somewhat usable.

Let's see. I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, tjsuominen said:

As a loyal (so far...) premium user I have decided to stick with the "legacy"

I don't think it's a question of loyalty - I'm doing the same,  and it's on the basis that there's no point in getting involved in researching a new client / converting (or not) my existing database of notes / and learning how to use said new client as well as I can currently use Evernote (the 'old' version). 

That's just practicality* - why do extra work unless you absolutely have to?

*..and laziness;  but its efficient laziness...

• Like 3
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

DT requires significantly more learning effort than EN, which is paid of by a more customizable, powerful tool. The iOS client is not as complete as the EN mobile client.

interesting comment, which I had heard before as well, however having migrated all my data from EN to DT last october due to all this V10 mess I must say, that, in fact, I started using DT almost exactly the same way I used EN. my initially required learning curve was pretty minimal.

gradually unlocking and starting to use all this new (for me) additional functionality has been and still is taking me time, but to me that's actually exciting and adding plenty of benefits for my workflow(s)..:-)

• Level 5*

EN and DEVONthink are unique, and difficult to compare to one another or other apps, so it’s probably best to think about it like this: look for something (or some combination of somethings) that solves your problems with the least amount of effort/stress/money. Compare the apps that way. The solution you choose will probably seem like it requires less effort, because it is working for you.

I’d say DT has far more depth, but you can choose whether you want to dig into it or not—I think that within seconds you’ll have everything you need up and running (backups with TimeMachine, databases in the cloud just like with Evernote, smart rules to automatically file everything for you, AI to suggest locations for files, and no limits (upload, file size, database size, etc.)). It’ll even import Evernote in a format that (in my opinion) is better than Evernote’s own export. The iOS app is phenomenal. Show me another app that has zero-knowledge encryption for your entire database and can sync without wifi (if you want). Amazing, but, as gaz said, why bother fiddling around with something else if your workflow is good enough?

EN, even in its current state, probably still checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people. I know I really appreciate several of its features. I posted a while back in this thread about letting my premium subscription lapse. I did that for a couple weeks, and then bought another month of premium with EN to iron out some wrinkles in my workflow (legacy). I’ll be a freemium user soon, and that’ll last until the equation changes for my situation. EN used to be well-suited to my workflow (or a decade plus of use has made me well-suited to it), but not so much anymore, and their plans / development priorities make it even less likely to fit my needs in the future. Too bad for me, but they surely have their own reasons. Loyalty is a nice quality to have, but this isn’t a virtual feudal state in which our Silicon Valley overlords require us to bend the knee and pledge fealty to their apps (in this analogy the legacy app might be the Hand (Ned in GoT) and the new app might be... Oh no). I recommend saving the “hate” for something else besides a lackluster update. Instead, I’d say we ought to thank the EN developers for their tremendous effort, point out what does or doesn’t work for you, and  figure out what app(s) best suit your needs.

I'm another long-time EN premium user who came here in search of wisdom to improve the experience of using encryption on EN.  The comments here convinced me that EN will not soon support the basic function I am looking for: encrypt a plain text attachment using my desktop windows EN app, and be able to decrypt and view on my android EN app. On the desktop I maintain the file as a GNU PGP encrypted file. The security hole I have been putting up with for years was that encryption in EN requires me to first paste the file contents as plaintext, then encrypt - so EN may try to sync the note before it was encrypted.

The good news is that I found a very good solution that closes the security hole, too - attach the GPG file directly to my EN note, and with the  android OpenKeyChain app installed, EN invokes it when I select the attachment and I can decrypt and view easily - simpler workflow and better security solution.

I'm staying an EN premium because I like many of the other features, but encryption has been an annoyance and the 10.x versions of EN made it (almost) unbearable. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, s2sailor said:

The “upgrade” removed, permanently, some key functions and broke the workflow for many.  Hating the update is certainly justified.

Of course, everyone can respond as they would like, but my recommendation was not to invest such strong emotions into it.

I found it helped to step back from it, consider it in relation to my use case, and uninstall it :) If I could have escaped from the iOS update as well, I would have, but we’re stuck with that.

But, this pattern of rolling out an update before it is ready has happened before. We’ve both been around long enough to be wary. In my case, once it became clear that even if Evernote’s stated aspirations for the app matched the reality, it’d still be a terrible fit for me, the decision about what to do was easy.

In other words, hating on the update (I think I have some fairly acerbic posts out there) wasn’t productive, but re-evaluating my workflow was.

• Like 1

Yes, it's official, the new Evernote is completely rubbish! The previous Evernote was bad, and lacked for example the ability to create subfolders within Notebooks, but the latest version is just complete junk! All the features that sped thinks along like the Outlook plugin and right clicking on a file to Send it to Evernote have gone. Right click functionality on Notebooks has gone. Haven't you heard you're supposed to make apps better not worse!

Personally I'm finding it impossible to work with the new Evernote, it's functionality is so backward that I'm giving up on it, I won't replace it and will instead rely on back my work folder up and email files to a 2.5" hard drive on a weekly basis instead, just a shame I won't be able to share that readily with my remote colleagues, maybe there's a Microsoft Office solution work investigating, at least that will integrate with my apps.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

The new web client is getting really good :)

I think you must be in the wrong forum. The mantra here is everything about V10 is bad and everything about the legacy version is good 😉

In my opinion progress is being made although there are still bugs/missing features which mean I do not yet have 100% confidence in using V10 all the time. It is still not fast enough in both the speed that it executes commands and the ease of doing stuff (e.g. number of clicks). The steady flow of releases is encouraging (12 releases since Oct  28th) although the continued failiure to address some bugs (that I consider serious) is disappointing.

I think in a year EN will have morphed from being just a note keeping app to a full blown productivity app which includes seamless integration between notes, tasks etc. It will pull together everything you need to do with all the information you need to do it. Much more like Notion than OneNote, but still fundamentally note based and familiar.

That won't please some people and if they just want a note taking app they should probably jump ship now.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

I think in a year EN will have morphed from being just a note keeping app to a full blown productivity app which includes seamless integration between notes, tasks etc. It will pull together everything you need to do with all the information you need to do it. Much more like Notion than OneNote, but still fundamentally note based and familiar.

This is an optimistic version of a future prediction.
Pessimistic is that because EvN is focusing on only some features, but not on overall coherent (advanced) user experience, reliability, and quality assurance it will simply collapse...
I'm guessing, that we will see something like a mix of both: a nice try, but...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

This is an optimistic version of a future prediction.

My optimism is becoming strained  😐
That doesn't mean I've become a hater
just not a Version10 user; I continue to be an Evernote Legacy user with no issues

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

The new web client is getting really good :) And the Android client is being improved faster now than it ever has been :) I wonder where they'll both be in a year ?

Can't confirm the web client as I haven't been able to access it as yet, for whatever reasons, six months into the process.  IOS has definitely improved since it was put upon me, a good thing.  Still has some idiosyncrasies, thankfully I use it 99% for simple look up.

Have not gone to Windows desktop as yet as core functionality for me has not returned.  Maybe more problematic though are the continued reports on these forums of speed issues with Win Desktop V10.  Slow and productivity app don't fit in the same sentence.  Fix the speed issues and there is some hope.

Re the web, began the log in before starting this post to see if V10 was there.  It just logged in.  🤷‍♂️

ScreenClip.png.684196cccaa0a108c228bf2860ff2de8.png

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*

Given how much of the competition has nested notebooks, including apps built on Electron as v10 is, it seems to me this feature is quite feasible to add.

And given the desire of the vast majority of EN users for this feature, providing it early on in v10 would have been a great win for a version that has been mired in controversy.

That it hasn't been added in the initial release or the many subsequent updates makes me wonder if the holdup is v6/Legacy. Might it be that they need to stop syncing v6/Legacy before they can change the architecture to support nested notebooks? 

• Like 1
Just now, tavor said:

Given how much of the competition has nested notebooks, including apps built on Electron as v10 is, it seems to me this feature is quite feasible to add.

And given the desire of the vast majority of EN users for this feature, providing it early on in v10 would be a great win for a version that has been mired in controversy.

That it hasn't been added in the initial release or the many subsequent updates makes me wonder if the holdup is v6/Legacy. Might it be that they need to stop syncing v6/Legacy before they can change the architecture to support nested notebooks? 

Nested notebooks ain't going to happen. it would break existing clients (of which there are hundreds). Nor would I want nested notebooks -- they'd just complicate things.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, tavor said:

And given the desire of the vast majority of EN users

What is your source of this data? A relatively small number of vocal users of these forums does not constitute "the vast majority of users". I agree with @ehrt74 they'd just complicate things and if you want a hierachical structure  tags do a really good job.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, tavor said:

makes me wonder if the holdup is v6/Legacy.

Off topic, but I don't see it as a holdup    
Nested tags have long existed without being available on all platforms

• Like 1

Nested notebooks IMHO don't "make sense" (a book inside a book) and very quickly raises complications, but I could imagine the scenario where you might have a group of books that you could "collapse" like a folder in a file system navigator and you could maybe put groups into groups if you really wanted, and from a tech point of view you'd add a piece of metadata to the notebook called "parent" which old clients could ignore, then make a new class of object for the groups. Providing clients ignore unknown metadata fields (or maybe the API has a way of telling whether or not to include that bit of data) it should be possible to implement without breaking old clients.

By having groups ONLY containing groups and notebooks you avoid breaking and complicated issues like notebooks and notes at the same level inside the same container...