Hate the new Evernote

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, allendick said:

I don't see any way I will ever switch to ten.

You have perfectly valid points,  and it's obviously your decision if/ when you decide to change.  As I've said (many times now...) I'll worry about changing from Legacy when Evernote tell me that it won't work after a certain date - I'm sure we'll have reasonable notice,  maybe even months' notice of that happening.

Not defending any of the changes (heard today of another feature that "we haven't decided yet whether to include that in version 10" !!! - if it was in Legacy it's a no-brainer!!) but I would say that many changes into Windows 10 are compromises between bring all the apps together,  and what is possible in the package they're using.  These are bound to be more traumatic changes than ever before - but at least once a process is set up in v10,  it should be consistent for the future.  The whimsical changes that we've seen are (hopefully) a one-time deal!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

As I've said (many times now...) I'll worry about changing from Legacy when Evernote tell me that it won't work after a certain date - I'm sure we'll have reasonable notice,  maybe even months' notice of that happening.

Maybe the time has come.
I have synced after adding a note (with 2 attachments) using legacy desktop app but couldn't find that note on the web 😠

On 4/8/2021 at 1:58 AM, ab1kenobee said:

Hello ehrt74:

Considering the all too many shortcomings of v.10 listed in this thread by long-time EN Subscribers...

HOW do you justify writing: "FIRST DECENT EN APP" ???

From a practical usage perspective... kindly detail your thinking.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:00 AM, ehrt74 said:

the web and android versions were a mess before v10. now they are a lot better.

Hmm, ehrt74's response doesn't seem particular detailed. I wonder why. Out of curiosity I just checked a tablet equipped with Android Evernote V8.13.3 (June '20 release) and the sidebar, for example, seems indistinguishable from the new, improved web version.

That said, I must recant a previous criticism of Evernote when comparing it to Joplin. A check today showed both apps returning proper results for Japanese, Russian, German, et al. The lack of search results I previously noted had only been observed using the New! Improved! web interface. That would be same interface that flashed the New! Improved! red alert box announcing a sync error had occurred. Repeatedly. Over an ethernet connection. Perhaps ehrt74 meant to write "FIRST DECENT SYNC ERROR MESSAGES" earlier? Or perhaps the vague arm-waving response was simply an homage to the level of detail in Evernote's feature roadmap for v10.

Just kidding, ehrt74. The v10 web interface does feature a new "View options" button. Unlike last year's Android release, however, clicking the button doesn't reveal any options. Just a text box announcing:

"More view options, including card view, are coming soon. You can help by taking this quick survey. We need your help because management accidentally deleted all copies of our earlier beta test responses and nobody here actually uses the product. Thanks a bunch."

Well, perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me with the last two sentences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, ehrt74 said:

the web and android versions were a mess before v10. now they are a lot better.

For the first two and a half months of 2020 the v8 Android app was probably the app I used second most (behind a v5 Mac app) using it every day and I found it perfectly fine... Web seemed fine too on the occasions I used it, which I admit wasn't often...

Actually last I tried I found I can't use the new web app, just wouldn't load at all for me, so I have myself set to one of the TWO other web versions... just checked and I have it set to "classic" as opposed to either "previous" or "new"... Perfectly usable...

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, rts said:

The v10 web interface does feature a new "View options" button. Unlike last year's Android release, however, clicking the button doesn't reveal any options. Just a text box announcing:

"More view options, including card view, are coming soon. You can help by taking this quick survey. We need your help because management accidentally deleted all copies of our earlier beta test responses and nobody here actually uses the product. Thanks a bunch."

I'm not quite sure what version of the web interface you are using. Here is a screenshot from my account:

image.png.3af67e9b78285736f0b934e3516645f9.png

54 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I'm not quite sure what version of the web interface you are using. Here is a screenshot from my account:

At a glance I appear to be using Evernote Web v5.33.0 from Firefox on a Windows 10 PC. I'm guessing you were using something else.

image.thumb.png.2d421dd18253d8db557b090523f8efbb.png

50 minutes ago, rts said:

I'm guessing you were using something else.

I'm using 10.11.4 on Chrome. You are not using V10. Either that is a deliberate choice of you have a large account. Accounts with more than a certain number of notes (I don't recall and can't find how many) are not being updated to the web veresion of V10 at the moment.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

This is a NON-SUBSTANTIVE response per my request:

On 4/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, ab1kenobee said:

Hello ehrt74:

Considering the all too many shortcomings of v.10 listed in this thread by long-time EN Subscribers...

HOW do you justify writing: "FIRST DECENT EN APP" ???

From a practical usage perspective... kindly detail your thinking.

Of course, my lord and master.

In Android we now have usable tags and a usable text editor. The same for the web version. The web version also supports batch functions and nested tags (it didn't use to).

This is quite basic stuff which was missing before. 

I don't know about you but I quite like being able to format notes the same on all my devices and use tags the same as well. Maybe these capabilities are of no use to you, but just because I like them does not mean that I am just being a troll. It may mean that I know something you don't.

12 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm using 10.11.4 on Chrome. You are not using V10. Either that is a deliberate choice of you have a large account. Accounts with more than a certain number of notes (I don't recall and can't find how many) are not being updated to the web veresion of V10 at the moment.

My only choices were those indicated in the image: that version or the previous version. Frankly, it never occurred to me that my choices for a web interface would somehow be dictated by  the number of notes in my database. What possible difference could it make for an interface design? But at 11k notes I would probably be over the threshold you mention. The software design decisions of this company continue to amaze.

• Like 1

I have little to offer in the programming of evernote except I am about done and will just keep data text files I guess. It is so slow that it's unusable after I type a few letters. I cannot believe how bad both the web and desktop version are.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, rts said:

But at 11k notes I would probably be over the threshold you mention. The software design decisions of this company continue to amaze.

I don't think this is permanent but just for the roll out pf Version 10

15 hours ago, Mike P said:

I don't think this is permanent but just for the roll out pf Version 10

I have no doubt, er, little doubt you are correct. This begs the question of how many months of v10's deployment can be honestly be described as a roll out. In a little over a week it will be six months since that accursed Evernote email notice arrived to tell me "The new Evernote is here." Certainly customers should be advised of a roll out schedule, no? I've received no such notice from the company. Without your help I wouldn't have realized I was a second class Evernote Web citizen.

This morning I tried web access again and was rewarded with a large popup notice asking if I wouldn't like to try the new Evernote Web. Remembering I'd been there before I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and briefly recited the new Evernote Serenity Prayer, "Fine. Whatever." Although clicking on the notification did make it disappear I didn't see any other activity. I switched to another desktop for a while but when I returned there still didn't seem to be a difference. I thought perhaps I needed to log out for the change to take effect, but after logging out and a few hours later back in, no dice. The company still only deems me worthy of v5.33.0, an abandoned project. And so it goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, rts said:

I have no doubt, er, little doubt you are correct. This begs the question of how many months of v10's deployment can be honestly be described as a roll out. In a little over a week it will be six months since that accursed Evernote email notice arrived to tell me "The new Evernote is here." Certainly customers should be advised of a roll out schedule, no? I've received no such notice from the company. Without your help I wouldn't have realized I was a second class Evernote Web citizen.

This morning I tried web access again and was rewarded with a large popup notice asking if I wouldn't like to try the new Evernote Web. Remembering I'd been there before I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and briefly recited the new Evernote Serenity Prayer, "Fine. Whatever." Although clicking on the notification did make it disappear I didn't see any other activity. I switched to another desktop for a while but when I returned there still didn't seem to be a difference. I thought perhaps I needed to log out for the change to take effect, but after logging out and a few hours later back in, no dice. The company still only deems me worthy of v5.33.0, an abandoned project. And so it goes.

Same here, 5.33.0 is what I get.  I've been told it's a note count thing.  So 6.25.1 on desktop, V10 on IOS, and 5.33 the infrequent times I use the web.  I thought V10 on the web might give me some insight into V10 in general, they’re supposed to be similar.  Anyhoo....

• Like 1
20 hours ago, CalS said:

Same here, 5.33.0 is what I get.  I've been told it's a note count thing.  So 6.25.1 on desktop, V10 on IOS, and 5.33 the infrequent times I use the web.  I thought V10 on the web might give me some insight into V10 in general, they’re supposed to be similar.  Anyhoo....

I'm in almost the same boat as you. I don't have any Apple devices however and my most recent Android devices are only up to Pie (9). My options for satisfying any v10 curiosity were the PC desktop (never again) and the web. In the past I'd used the web interface on the rare occasion I was restricted to a Linux box. Nowadays Android tablets, VNC, and SSH have removed even that use case. So it appears I'll be sticking to Legacy versions for the remaining months of my Premium subscription. There are worse fates.

• Like 2

I don't like the new version at all. I usually don't leave any comments online, but cannot stand new version at all. I just need to keep the layout of the web clipped content. I don't need any "Simplify & Make Editable" feature. VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY unhappy and disappointed. Not sure how the product manager is doing her/his work. Plan to deactivate my account after this annual subscription is finished.

• Like 5

Does anyone have an idea if they plan to lift the limit on the number of notes selected?

With Legacy on MacOS, I have no problem selecting 15,000 notes and tagging all of them at once. With 10.11.5, I get an alert that I can only select 50 notes maximum.

I just don't get it. It's been six months since the "NEW Evernote." EN has issued how many new versions in those six months? I have no clue. 

Here's what do I know

1. It used to be fast, certainly adequate for a workflow. I've been a paid customer since 2012

2. IT. IS. STILL.  STILL.  STILL.      WAY.        TOO.             SLOW.                TO.                   USE

It's a very important tool for me. I am thankful I can still access the Legacy version. 

Now - EN - can you PLEASE fix the speed? We don't need another whistle or bell. Fix the main issues first. 

PLEASE! 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, MB11 said:

EN has issued how many new versions in those six months? I have no clue. 

Several

25 minutes ago, MB11 said:

PLEASE fix the speed?

Probably in progress...  (but this is a -mainly- user-supported Forum,  so we have no clue...)

On 4/13/2021 at 11:14 PM, JJJJJJJ said:

I don't like the new version at all. I usually don't leave any comments online, but cannot stand new version at all. I just need to keep the layout of the web clipped content. I don't need any "Simplify & Make Editable" feature. VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY unhappy and disappointed. Not sure how the product manager is doing her/his work. Plan to deactivate my account after this annual subscription is finished.

If you don't need the feature then just don't use it.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, rts said:

no, roll out schedules, like everything when it comes to programming, are a waste of time. No one knows how long a project is going to take and it's impossible to estimate. This is why things like extreme programming were developed: management gets the feature when it's ready and not before with no timelines. Management can communicate with R&D by telling them what they should work on next, and that's it.

I don't need a company promising me that $NEW_FEATURE will be available in 3 months.

I don't see why you're a second class evernote web citizen (overdramatize much?). If v10 can't handle your number of notes then it wouldn't be a better option for you.

• Level 5

In an agile project setup, there is no rollout of a „complete“ product any longer.

The initial product is released when the „owner“ decides it is good to go. This will have core functions only.

The team(s) will continue to run further sprints, resulting in new features released every 4 weeks or so.

Meanwhile a backlog of feature requests is kept and updated. Items from that list are sorted into „what’s next“ and moved into the sprints.

It may well be that a complex issue (anybody said „import folders“ ?) takes several sprints (work sessions) until it can be released. And QA may have a say ...

IMHO what we observe with how v10 was kicked off the ramp and is since cycled through releases speaks for itself.

It is not only a new app, but a new way to manage the devs as well. If you know that, it is easier to accept that they don’t communicate a „big“ plan. Maybe there is even none, everything is in flow.

• Like 1
On 4/25/2021 at 12:27 AM, ehrt74 said:

no, roll out schedules, like everything when it comes to programming, are a waste of time. .... If v10 can't handle your number of notes then it wouldn't be a better option for you.

My reference to a roll out schedule was tongue-in-cheek. It's pretty clear at this point that forecasting is not the company's strength. My point was that by six months after a product's release it's silly to excuse limitations and persistent problems as mere rollout issues. A 10k note limit in v10 when the Legacy apps and "Classic" web UI have no such limit begs the question: why was this limit added to v10? Why exclude some Premium customers from using a different web UI? A vaguely plausible explanation would be their "always online" design for v10 clients has an intractable limit that slows sync requests on large note collections to a glacial pace. Not really a response you can hand to the customer support team. Especially when you'd previously told them their all purpose response should be 'you need to upgrade to the latest version of v10'.

Using extreme programming or agile development as a description however is a bit of a red herring given that v10 was introduced as a replacement, not a technology preview. (I have no problem with a rolling release schedule BTW; Arch is my favorite Linux distribution.) If a product is still in beta yet management declares it gold and releases it to customers, it's hardly the fault of the development team.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:00 AM, PinkElephant said:

And QA may have a say ...

Oh, PinkElephant, you dare to dream big. I salute you!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rts said:

My reference to a roll out schedule was tongue-in-cheek. It's pretty clear at this point that forecasting is not the company's strength. My point was that by six months after a product's release it's silly to excuse limitations and persistent problems as mere rollout issues. A 10k note limit in v10 when the Legacy apps and "Classic" web UI have no such limit begs the question: why was this limit added to v10? Why exclude some Premium customers from using a different web UI? A vaguely plausible explanation would be their "always online" design for v10 clients has an intractable limit that slows sync requests on large note collections to a glacial pace. Not really a response you can hand to the customer support team. Especially when you'd previously told them their all purpose response should be 'you need to upgrade to the latest version of v10'.

Using extreme programming or agile development as a description however is a bit of a red herring given that v10 was introduced as a replacement, not a technology preview. (I have no problem with a rolling release schedule BTW; Arch is my favorite Linux distribution.) If a product is still in beta yet management declares it gold and releases it to customers, it's hardly the fault of the development team.

Oh, PinkElephant, you dare to dream big. I salute you!

the v10 client is said to do much more in the client and less on the back-end. This makes the web version faster (or so i'm told, I've never used the earlier web versions).

my point about extreme programming was to say that the industry has learned that trying to predict the future so that marketing can sell what the product will be in 6 months is a waste of time. This goes for every company, not just Evernote. It happens very rarely that a programming project finishes "on time" (whatever that may mean). Programming is not like building a house or a road. You really don't know in advance what will end up costing you weeks and what will go smoothly.

• Level 5

AFAIK the v10 client relies directly on the server database (unless being completely offline). The legacy desktop client were running on their local database. They were then syncing changes to that data to the server.

This means v10 is always „in sync“, but needs a good internet connection. The local resources are partly needed because the EN app runs inside of its framework (practically a browser back end), which is less efficient but easier on development.

About QA: The initial releases were plain disasters in quality. My impression is they learned quickly from this - the last updates went pretty good. I am not on Android, so maybe my view would be a different one then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just logged in to express my bitter disappointment and frustration with the new Evernote. 

• Some functions do not even work. Dragging or deleting some tags won't move/delete them. 
  • It is so slow. It can hang for a while if the note is big enough. 
  • No bulk editing the tags, no right click, navigation is just terrible. Who designed it?
  • Some image thumbnails won't appear. They are blank.
  • Sometimes searching tags won't show any results. 
  • There are even no tags shortcut (to the tag filter) and you can't hit enter to filter them. You have to tick them manually with a mouse. Navigation is so terrible!
  • You can't simply right click a tag to rename it. You have to click tags, then choose one tag to rename one tag every time! You have to do it thousands of times! Insane design. No easy and simple right click tree navigation to create groups, rename, move, create new tags in one place. These are basic functions, which are not there! Or they are so badly implemented. 
  • We cannot multi-select tags. Only one to edit? This is ridiculous design!
  • I could go on...

This new version is a step backward. Two steps backward... Evernote used to be fast, light, and simple. 

I am coming back to Legacy version. Hopefully, they will never make it obsolete. It's so much better.

And where are those right click options?

601888589_Zrzutekranu(40).png.60cd1d4c13933221b3dfcf300b49eec1.png

Many other options and shortcuts were removed. This is a nightmare. I feel like cursing now 👿

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 4/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, PinkElephant said:

It is not only a new app, but a new way to manage the devs as well. If you know that, it is easier to accept that they don’t communicate a „big“ plan. Maybe there is even none, everything is in flow.

Communicating with customers isn't part of the Agile/scrum methodology, it is only another way of  managing resources internally. We, the consumers, shouldn't care how things are managed or organized. We buy an product, use it as we see fit. And now it is broken and doesn't fit for some people. Result: Moving on... 😀

Customer communication is the big issue with Evernote, they neglected the customer entirely and where (and still are) focused on releasing and regorinasing the company. This attitude comes with most market-leading companies we are the best, you need us, we are right and you are wrong. They forget what made them the market-leader in the first place.

Enough rant for today... 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I don‘t know of companies that really tell their strategic plans to the outside world. Maybe the give some hints (remember the videos from EN ?), there are some legal necessities for publicly listed companies, but the concrete plans are usually implemented and then communicated on release.

Have been to the Apple spring event recently ? Then you would know what I mean.

With each release we get a neat information from EN about what is new, what is fixed and on what next features they are working. This was introduced with v10, and it gives anybody who cares to read it a pretty good overview.

Of course there are always those who tell it is not enough …

• Like 1

They forget what made them the market-leader in the first place.

That's the truth and are set on a new path. Hating the new Evernote is not enough. That is ultimately an exercise in futility IMO. The die is cast and we need an escape.

I think the reason most of us quietly check this thread is that we have lost hope for EN.  We are not here to understand the crazy EN rush to self-destruction or find light at the end of this tunnel.

We are here searching for hints on how to easily escape and move our data to other software that will continue to function roughly in the way that the legacy EN software does and which hopefully does not assume an always-on high speed Internet connection or turn into software as a service. Some of us like tohave our data on our own devices.

We're worrying about the day when EN decides to pull the rug out from under us and leave us with a branch we have tried and rejected as unsuited to our needs.

I appreciated the posts a while back suggesting alternatives and offering links.  I checked them out and it seems that some developers can see the niche that Evernote filled completely opening up and are working to fill it. Things appear to be developing in a promising direction so that an easy and reliable transfer of data may be feasible.  So far I see no obvious clear path but I am hoping there will be in time to save us.

I'm not a software aficionado. Like most clients of EN,  I am simply a user, with little interest in understanding or discussing EN's dreams.  Haunting these forums and tinkering with software is not something I care to do. I just expect EN to work reliably and not keep surprising me.    For that reason I am very glad that some are into all the details and alternatives and make a project out of looking around and and sharing what they learn. 

Is there a thread for "Escaping the New Evernote"?  If not, there should be. 

I'm sure a silent majority of worried users would love it.  We want out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

No hope lost, why ? What were you hoping for in first place ?

v10 had a rough take off, but I find myself using it more and more. This is on devices where I have legacy installed side by side, and just need to decide which I am going to open. It is now v10 for the start, and legacy only when there is one of those features still missing in v10.

But sure, there must be those who are never happy with what they get. So good news: This is the thread of your life. Just rant away if it makes you feel better.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, allendick said:

We're worrying about the day when EN decides to pull the rug out from under us

I'm still an Evernote Legacy user and I've never worried about "pull the rug out from under us".  I've always known I can export my data

>>we have tried and rejected as unsuited to our needs

I have a simple rule for services/software that are "unsuited to our needs" including Evernote v10    
I don't use them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, allendick said:

Thanks.  I am undecided on where to go.  What is your choice of where to export when the time comes?

Currently the top of my list is Devonthink (Apple only)     
but I continue reviewing alternatives

• Like 1

I'm going to reduce my 5,000 notes in Evernote and move a couple of thousand to OneNote. I already pay for Office, so the "look and feel" is already familiar to me.

However, if EN were to stick with the Legacy edition and do moderate upgrades I would likely stay (but I think EN has said that they will not be adding or updating the Legacy version. 

Sadly, after many years of using EN, I don't see how I will keep going with it. The new versions are slow and lack features I have used for years. I'm sorry to see a great company go down with their long term users.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Stories By Steve said:

if EN were to stick with the Legacy edition and do moderate upgrades

Like the phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic"    
I don't think Legacy has a future, and I'm prepared to abandon ship, but there's no panic as long as the ship is floating

• Like 1
  • Level 5

With legacy I think it will die of old age, probably because an OS change will stop it to work. Until then the titanic still has way to go. There are palm trees on the islands left an right (ok, beware of the coral reefs).

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There are palm trees on the islands left an right (ok, beware of the coral reefs).

Uhh, Captain - I don't think those are islands

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Stories By Steve said:

Could a new update from Windows cause Legacy to not work?

I would not say that will never happen, but there are lots of programs that were written for Windows 95 etc that still run fine in Windows 10. It's one of the great things about Windows. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:38 AM, wirtual82 said:

Just logged in to express my bitter disappointment and frustration with the new Evernote. 

Many other options and shortcuts were removed. This is a nightmare. I feel like cursing now 👿

I feel exactly the same way.  Features that used to be great are now hidden, broken, or totally missing.  For example, the Sync button is sorely missed (and don't tell me it syncs continuously; Puhleez!!)
Used to be I can create a new hierarchical tag by entering the hierarchy on the note, e.g. Taxes:2020 would create the tag hierarchy Taxes / 2020.  That was great.  Now, I have no idea how to get that functionality.
Evernote used to be an amazing product.  And now, since the Great Rewrite, it is as bloated as the rest of the crapware out there.  Some times you need to know when to leave well enough alone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just switched over to the "new" version of Evernote and am sorely disappointed and frustrated as it seems like a major step backwards, and am thus curious if anyone has feedback on any of the issues I am experiencing below:

1. The Title must be entered manually, versus the "old' automatic completion based on the beginning text of the note. This is a major inconvenience and should at least be user definable.
  2. Opening up a new note is far from quick. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to open up.
  3. Changing Notebooks is cumbersome and slow. The screen hangs while changing the notebook. Again, the "old" version was instant.
  4. Changing or adding tags is also problematic for the same reasons
  5. There Doesn't appear to be a way to set my preferred menu items, either on the top menu bar or the menu bar of the note itself.
  6. Adding checkboxes in the middle of a bullet list is not possible, nor is adding multiple checkboxes on a line possible (I have reported than in a previous post)

Bottom line - this feels like a much inferior product and I am really surprised it is deemed to be an upgrade. It is clunky, slow and frustrating to use. The beauty of Evernote was that I could jump on a call and take notes during the call without worrying about slow load speeds, adding bullet points or checklists, adding tags or even changing notebooks. Now all of the above is a chore.

Am I missing something??

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, shekala said:

I just switched over to the "new" version of Evernote and am sorely disappointed and frustrated as it seems like a major step backwards, and am thus curious if anyone has feedback on any of the issues I am experiencing below:

1. The Title must be entered manually, versus the "old' automatic completion based on the beginning text of the note. This is a major inconvenience and should at least be user definable.
  2. Opening up a new note is far from quick. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to open up.
  3. Changing Notebooks is cumbersome and slow. The screen hangs while changing the notebook. Again, the "old" version was instant.
  4. Changing or adding tags is also problematic for the same reasons
  5. There Doesn't appear to be a way to set my preferred menu items, either on the top menu bar or the menu bar of the note itself.
  6. Adding checkboxes in the middle of a bullet list is not possible, nor is adding multiple checkboxes on a line possible (I have reported than in a previous post)

Bottom line - this feels like a much inferior product and I am really surprised it is deemed to be an upgrade. It is clunky, slow and frustrating to use. The beauty of Evernote was that I could jump on a call and take notes during the call without worrying about slow load speeds, adding bullet points or checklists, adding tags or even changing notebooks. Now all of the above is a chore.

Am I missing something??

Hi.  A couple of things - the last 1,000 or so posts in this forum have been about issues with the new app.  Please read up to date before asking more questions.  And.  If you wish to ignore the update for a while and go back to the previous version... https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Confused 1

I f you read the posts you will see that people posting took the time to try the new version and we puzzled and disappointed. Some of us tried it more than once before we decided once burned twice shy and turned up here to see if there is any hope for the future or if we need to jump--and where to..

A few are using the new desktop version, a few are using both, and some have gone back to legacy.

Those of us using mobiles have no choice on those devices.  I don't use mobile to create and the annoyances in the Android puzzle me but hardly matter to me.

Some use the web version I understand and although I occasionally look at it, have no reason to prefer that. I travel and Internet is variable to none existent at times.  I like my data and software on my device. I have lots of storage and like to know where it is and have fast access regardless of location.

I notice that several contributors have thousands of posts here and I wonder if some spend more time talking about EN than actually using it.   

The rest of us who seldom post are simply EN users who consider EN a tool and not something we should ever have to think much about except at annual renewal time.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, allendick said:

f there is any hope for the future or if we need to jump--and where to..

The Evernote v10 product is a work-in-progress and receiving frequent updates   
For the immediate future, I am using the Evernote Legacy product 

In the long term future, we all die - there is no hope

>>if we need to jump--and where to..

I intend to "jump" at some point in the future   
At that time, I will review the alternatives, including EN v10

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, allendick said:

several contributors have thousands of posts here

If that's aimed at people like me,  I've been using Evernote for 10+ years and have 53,000 notes and quite a comprehensive management system. Also I tend to post comments that are short and to the point. 

• Like 2

You guys (the owl possibly excepted) are the reason most of us come here a few times and go away.

I said what I have to say and it did not take a thousand posts to do it.

The bad drives out the good.  Everywhere every time.

I'm gone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just went to your profile to see what positive you have done for other users here in the forum. Pretty blank on this field, most is ranting away about how bad this and that is. On skimming I did not find a support ticket that would prove you even tried.

If all forum members would behave like this, this would be a very ugly and useless place to come and visit.

Maybe instead of spreading a foul taste, you could engage to help others to improve their skills. If not, you are IMHO not a great loss for the community. Better you‘re gone …

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just went to your profile to see what positive you have done for other users here in the forum. Pretty blank on this field, most is ranting away about how bad this and that is. On skimming I did not find a support ticket that would prove you even tried.

If all forum members would behave like this, this would be a very ugly and useless place to come and visit.

Maybe instead of spreading a foul taste, you could engage to help others to improve their skills. If not, you are IMHO not a great loss for the community. Better you‘re gone …

I’m here because evernote for me sucks. So what now?

• Like 3
  • Level 5

From my view it is as it is - your feelings are yours, to have, to tend, to communicate (whatever).

The issue of my posting was about offending others, who contribute to the forum, helping other users to solve their problems.

This topic is called: Hate the new Evernote

What did some of you expected to find in this topic? Post about all the positive experiences with the new Evernote? 
When someone writes his/hers complaints and frustration than that is his/hers truth. If you don't recognise this frustration... good for you... but don't try to enforce our experience as the one and only truth...

The EV 10 is rubbish, and great to see the frequent updates... but is solves little to nothing. Quantity over Quality, one of the pitfalls of Agile / Scrum when you don't understand your own customers..

And yes I also rant about this version, 10+ years user over Evernote and loved it. Never needed any support question. Version 10 released and have 10+ support tickets with issues, questions about missing features. Only one ticket was positive (for me) all others resulted in more frustrations... so I had two options: 

1- Stay married to Evernote and workout our the differences or get more and more frustrated
2- Get a divorce and start a new experiences.

Chose option 2.. and Have Evernote as static Database and think about the great 10+ years before version 10.
My point: Don't chose to be a victim, you are in control.. If you don't like this tool, find one that fits your need.
All Evernote positive guru's on this forum use Legacy for there daily work, if this isn't a big RED flag .... V10 is rubbish and everyone on this forum knows it (but chose to ignore it so it seems).

• Level 5

1) IMHO it is a difference between being unhappy with EN as a software or a company, and being offensive to other users that offer help in the forum.

2) In some cases I have the impression that some hate positive news about EN, because it takes a chance of ranting away.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@PinkElephant 

1) True, offensive to others is a no go
2) Positive or Negative perspective is based on own experiences, there is no right or wrong. They are both true and live side by side. Both sides can only give their own opinion/advice, it is up to the receiving party to do something with that advice. 

In a topic called Hate the New Evernote the posts will be negative that's for sure, negative about the app and possible the company. But should not be negative towards others on this forum

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ArjenC said:

so I had two options: 

On the basis that you were with Evernote and (presumably) using the pre-Legacy version more or less happily before-hand,  you actually had four.  The missing two were:

1: Follow the savvy user's code and never be an early adopter - read the reviews before you upgrade and make your choices then - like I did.  (Users have been griping about Evernote's poor QA for a long time...)

4: If you upgraded and didn't like it - just go back to Legacy (iOS excepted 😕).

Sure I'm unhappy with Evernote,  and if they don't dig their way out of the swamp by the time Legacy is shut down I'll be moving on.  But I've done that a few dozen times before with other software that no longer worked for me.  I'm still getting daily backups of my 30G+ database (Backupery still works - thanks guys!). My automations are working via Filterize and Workflowy (again, thanks..) 

Ranting is allowed - if there was a Razzie equivalent for dumbass product release then Evernote would be a shoo-in for the win.  I think they offended almost all their users in one way or another this past few months.  However continued ranting is pointless.  Either suck it up and carry on with Legacy if you can,  or pull up stakes and move on.  Aggressing at others for not being as upset as you is just dumb.

Like you just said - 

5 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

In a topic called Hate the New Evernote the posts will be negative that's for sure, negative about the app and possible the company. But should not be negative towards others on this forum

I could not agree more.  Evernote seem to be doing their best to rescue the brand.  If they do,  good luck:  I like some of their people a lot.  If they don't - maybe I'll see you in another forum somewhere...  🙂

24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

1: Follow the savvy user's code and never be an early adopter - read the reviews before you upgrade and make your choices then - like I did.  (Users have been griping about Evernote's poor QA for a long time...)

4: If you upgraded and didn't like it - just go back to Legacy (iOS excepted 😕).

Option 3: True so true, and normally I don't early adept (work in IT myself and learned one or two things). But the quality of Evernote and track record they had, 100% trust from me to the company... I didn't even blink, saw the vids of Ian Small, all positive and happy about the new future proof version... Learnd my leasson...

Option 4: After updating the @$#%@#%$ began, lost data, corruption on server level, repairs by devs resulting in more data loss. Luckily I had backuped my notes before update and manually recovered 100+ notes. In my contact with support it was stated not to downgrade, due to my issues with the upgrade... on DB level it was a mess... so i didn't... 

After months, was already using other applications (without frustration), i install the legacy version. It worked like before, but again DB corruption. So this is what I learned.... the release was, for some users, a mega f%%&ckup.... 

My trust level went from 100% to 0%, in a couple of days. There was no plan or backup for customers with issues, no way out of the mess... it was trial and error... and that for the price of € 7,-/month... not even a simple: Sorry... Nope data was gone, own risk... received some terms of use and legal stuff saying that Evernote wasn;t accountable jada jada jada..

Sure... real customer relationship. Hope for all positive customers they don't experience this kind issues. That's when you experience the real company etos... 

But I'm realistic, it could be a one time event... just a edge case with a probability of 0.1%. It happened to me, but the lack of support and communication, that is the real deal-breaker... that's why I left and us other solutions, not the fact the version 10 is broken, nope the way they handled it... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Long time user of Evernote.   V10 at start was problematic but now works well for me.  Sometimes change is good but painful.  The competitors have their own issues.  Either rethink how you use Evernote or switch now.  This thread has stopped being useful.   

• Like 6
17 hours ago, shekala said:

Adding checkboxes in the middle of a bullet list is not possible, nor is adding multiple checkboxes on a line possible (I have reported than in a previous post)

Check boxes are accessed from the insert menu. If you put them at the beginning of a line EN assumes you meant to use a checklist. If you don't add them at the beginning of a line they stay as check boxes. You can add as many as you want. Because "add check box" is burried in the insert menu I find the keyboard shortcut of <open square bracket><close square bracket> most useful. 

Bullet lists and checklists are separate units. To add a check list in the middle you would need to end the bullet list and then add a checklist and then go back to a bullet list which would require an empty line in between each list. You can add a checkbox to a bulleted list provided you add another character first.

image.png.12b60405887e23c743e6270fb84fe932.png

I think the point of all three types of lists is to have a consistent block of items which can be dragged around within the block to reorder as desired. 

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, ArjenC said:

... lack of support and communication, that is the real deal-breaker... that's why I left and us other solutions, not the fact the version 10 is broken, nope the way they handled it... 

Which SOLUTIONS have you implemented... and for which OS platforms?

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Which SOLUTIONS have you implemented... and for which OS platforms?

My solution is the Evernote Legacy product   (Mac)

I also use note file attachments with external editors  
when I need features not supported by the Evernote editor

• Like 1

As mentioned in one of the former messages in this thread, for all who want to return to the old version under Android, read 

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/permanently-stop-any-app-from-updating-play-store-no-computer-needed-0184063/

I was successful, and I am not bothered with updates to the 10, until the end of actual premium period I work with Legacy and Android version 8.13.3

Hartmut

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, ha-kg said:

As mentioned in one of the former messages in this thread, for all who want to return to the old version under Android, read 

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/permanently-stop-any-app-from-updating-play-store-no-computer-needed-0184063/

I was successful, and I am not bothered with updates to the 10, until the end of actual premium period I work with Legacy and Android version 8.13.3

Unless you're an expert this seems like a long and involved process - and requires installing more apps to help update-proof your Evernote access.  I managed to turn off updates for Evernote just using the Play store's standard menus. I'm not yet upgraded to Android 10 anyway, so my changes haven't been tested because Evernote for Android 10 isn't yet available to me. But the process seems to be 

1. Go to 'my apps & games' in the play store.
  2. There's an 'installed' tab - find and select Evernote.
  3. Choose 'more'.
  4. Uncheck Auto-update here.  This applies only to Evernote.
  5. Finish.  

Of course you can also turn off 'auto-update' for everything - you'll get reminders as and when each app wants to update.

No need in either case for third-party apps and 'amended' APK files...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Uncheck Auto-update here.  This applies only to Evernote.

I've long recommended turning off auto-update, particularly for Evernote    
We also have the option in IOS, but only for all apps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/28/2021 at 8:26 AM, allendick said:

They forget what made them the market-leader in the first place.

That's the truth and are set on a new path. Hating the new Evernote is not enough. That is ultimately an exercise in futility IMO. The die is cast and we need an escape.

I think the reason most of us quietly check this thread is that we have lost hope for EN.  We are not here to understand the crazy EN rush to self-destruction or find light at the end of this tunnel.

We are here searching for hints on how to easily escape and move our data to other software that will continue to function roughly in the way that the legacy EN software does and which hopefully does not assume an always-on high speed Internet connection or turn into software as a service. Some of us like tohave our data on our own devices.

We're worrying about the day when EN decides to pull the rug out from under us and leave us with a branch we have tried and rejected as unsuited to our needs.

I appreciated the posts a while back suggesting alternatives and offering links.  I checked them out and it seems that some developers can see the niche that Evernote filled completely opening up and are working to fill it. Things appear to be developing in a promising direction so that an easy and reliable transfer of data may be feasible.  So far I see no obvious clear path but I am hoping there will be in time to save us.

I'm not a software aficionado. Like most clients of EN,  I am simply a user, with little interest in understanding or discussing EN's dreams.  Haunting these forums and tinkering with software is not something I care to do. I just expect EN to work reliably and not keep surprising me.    For that reason I am very glad that some are into all the details and alternatives and make a project out of looking around and and sharing what they learn. 

Is there a thread for "Escaping the New Evernote"?  If not, there should be. 

I'm sure a silent majority of worried users would love it.  We want out.

This is perfectly said. 

And I would love an alternative to EN that did what EN Legacy does now. 

• Like 2
On 4/30/2021 at 1:52 PM, ha-kg said:

Hartmut

any safe link where I can download Android version 8.13.3?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pansovic said:

The keyword there is 'safe'.  There are several third party sites that advertise 'older' APKs... I killed updating on my original install so I'm still with 8.13 (plus my version of Android is too old to update...)

On 4/30/2021 at 5:07 AM, Mike P said:

Check boxes are accessed from the insert menu. If you put them at the beginning of a line EN assumes you meant to use a checklist. If you don't add them at the beginning of a line they stay as check boxes. You can add as many as you want. Because "add check box" is burried in the insert menu I find the keyboard shortcut of <open square bracket><close square bracket> most useful. 

Bullet lists and checklists are separate units. To add a check list in the middle you would need to end the bullet list and then add a checklist and then go back to a bullet list which would require an empty line in between each list. You can add a checkbox to a bulleted list provided you add another character first.

image.png.12b60405887e23c743e6270fb84fe932.png

I think the point of all three types of lists is to have a consistent block of items which can be dragged around within the block to reorder as desired. 

Mike, this is SUPER helpful. I was about to give up on Evernote 10 since it is essential for me to add checkboxes in bullet lists, and you saved the day. I even used Phrase Express to create a macro that enters the ".[]" automatically as I discovered that even if I add a character first, the insert checkbox choice still converts the entire block. So, thank you very much for your help. Now my biggest complaints are down to the slow speed (especially when adding a note), and the lack of an automatic titling option. :)

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, shekala said:

as I discovered that even if I add a character first, the insert checkbox choice still converts the entire block.

I've not found that. Make sure you are using the insert menu (blue plus at the left of the editing toolbar) to add a checkbox not the checklist on the main editing menu.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Jack Falconer said:

If I create a "checkbox" it should stay a checkbox. If you just hit enter it converts to checklist!

Are you creating the checkbox in a list?   
My non-list checkbox stays as a checkbox

58 minutes ago, Jack Falconer said:

If I create a "checkbox" it should stay a checkbox.

Undoubtedly, but it doesn't and I don't see it changing. EN have decided that lines that start with a checkbox are checklists. If that's a huge issue for you I suggest you go elsewhere. Alternatively just adopt the fairly straightforward and well documented workaround of having a character in front of the checkbox.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mike P said:

I've not found that. Make sure you are using the insert menu (blue plus at the left of the editing toolbar) to add a checkbox not the checklist on the main editing menu.

Mike, I didn't realize there was a distinction between a checkbox and a checklist, although now that you bring it up, I do see one is outlined in black and one is in green. What is the difference between the two in terms of functionality? In other words, why do they both exist? Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, shekala said:

Mike, I didn't realize there was a distinction between a checkbox and a checklist, although now that you bring it up, I do see one is outlined in black and one is in green. What is the difference between the two in terms of functionality? In other words, why do they both exist? Thanks again!

The checklist has a checkbox at the beginning of the list. When you check it a tick appears and the text is crossed out. Like the other lists (numbered and bulleted) you can drag items around within the list to reorder them.

A checkbox can not appear at the beginning of a line. If you check it a cross appears. You can have multiple checkboxes in a row or scattered through your text. Checking a checkbox has no impact on the surrounding text. 

1 minute ago, egallagher said:

You can also use the shortcut

[] space

to create a checkbox to start a new line.

Normally that converts to a checklist although not always. More reliable to put a character before the [].

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

More reliable to put a character before the [].

I've used a simple space before the checkbox   
Allows for a list of checkboxes without the checklist

5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

The checklist has a checkbox at the beginning of the list. When you check it a tick appears and the text is crossed out. Like the other lists (numbered and bulleted) you can drag items around within the list to reorder them.

A checkbox can not appear at the beginning of a line. If you check it a cross appears. You can have multiple checkboxes in a row or scattered through your text. Checking a checkbox has no impact on the surrounding text. 

Got it. Thank you. Although oddly enough, if you have a bulleted list and try to add a checkbox in a line, it works, but if you go for the [] approach, a character is needed first. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Checkboxes are the traditional way in EN to create an item you can check. They used to be utilized for lists of checkboxes, and for individual checkboxes in text or forms. Many users used them for all sort of checklisted items, because it was the method offered by EN prior to v10.

With the new editor a new Checklist-Format was introduced. It stands beside bullet and numbered lists. It changes the format (checkboxes were confirmed by an „x“,  checklists by s swash), and items in a checklist are grayed out and striked through when confirmed.

The debate is mainly about the automatic conversion of checkboxed lists into checklists. Some users created lists with checkboxes, that are now automatically converted into the new checklist feature when edited.

Currently to avoid the auto-conversion, for lists of items the checklist (new) feature should be used. Checkboxes embedded into text can stay like this. This is for practical reasons,  not because I want to confirm the way EN is doing. Personally I like the strikeout feature of the checklists, but I understand other users don’t want their checkboxes to be converted.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Checkboxes are the traditional way in EN to create an item you can check. They used to be utilized for lists of checkboxes, and for individual checkboxes in text or forms. Many users used them for all sort of checklisted items, because it was the method offered by EN prior to v10.

With the new editor a new Checklist-Format was introduced. It stands beside bullet and numbered lists. It changes the format (checkboxes were confirmed by an „x“,  checklists by s swash), and items in a checklist are grayed out and striked through when confirmed.

The debate is mainly about the automatic conversion of checkboxed lists into checklists. Some users created lists with checkboxes, that are now automatically converted into the new checklist feature when edited.

Currently to avoid the auto-conversion, for lists of items the checklist (new) feature should be used. Checkboxes embedded into text can stay like this. This is for practical reasons,  not because I want to confirm the way EN is doing. Personally I like the strikeout feature of the checklists, but I understand other users don’t want their checkboxes to be converted.

Thanks. It is starting to sink in. Just to be clear, my use case is that I am on a call and taking down bulleted lists of data. When an action item is brought up, I quickly add a checkbox to the bullet list in order to easily visualize and distinguish between data and action items. I then add a second checkbox if the action item is for the other party to complete. So, in my case, sounds like checkboxes are the way to go, not checklists.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me sort through this. 

• Level 5

I really don’t know of any sound note / meeting protocol taking method that would mix items in the one and same list.

Typically you have

an agenda as a numbered list

treated topics as a bulleted list

items to follow up / to-do as a checklist

In case of EN I would rather create a template for meetings, that are build from a table to create the formatting. It is used as invitation with the agenda, and is then completed during the meeting, and send again as protocol.

Checkboxes in my use are for forms that are not used as a to-do list, but rather as a mix of information and confirmation. Here it makes sense to have several checkboxes in a single line of text. Like

Hydraulic pressure (…….. value). System free of leaks [] . Green indicator light [] . Further action needed YES []  NO []

This is my main use case for checkboxes - not a list of items to tick of.

The critical case is probably a list of items from which to select one or two, but not in the meaning of a to do list

Pressure

[]    0-50

[]   50-100

[]  100-200

Here you want to check one of the boxes in the range, but not with the meaning of a „done“ in a list of items. This is a case for checkboxes in a list format.

I've just got my desktop back after a crash. A number of programs had to be reinstalled including my much loved Evernote which was nice and straightforward to use. As as author, I need a reliable, easy to use program that doesn't require jumping through hoops that are invisible. A divorce is now pending.

I was given the new version without any request as to whether I wanted it or not. I've tried to find where things were. A note that I was working on has been majorly screwed up. The print size is so small I'm struggling to read it because I have vision problems. By default spell checking is on. I hate spell checking. My ability to spell correctly is better than any machine's idea of what's correct. The layout is messed up and there's no means of correcting the amount of screen the columns can use.

My desktop is Windows 10 (which I loathe as well).

I also use an iPad (which was inadvertantly upadated) and iPad Mini (which auto updated), a Samsung smart phone.and a laptop that runs Windows XP which is considerably more reliable than Window 10. The variety of devices is why I have the Premium version of Evernote.

Evernote has gone from wonderful to an unmitigated disaster.

26 minutes ago, Charani said:

I've just got my desktop back after a crash. A number of programs had to be reinstalled including my much loved Evernote which was nice and straightforward to use. As as author, I need a reliable, easy to use program that doesn't require jumping through hoops that are invisible. A divorce is now pending.

I was given the new version without any request as to whether I wanted it or not. I've tried to find where things were. A note that I was working on has been majorly screwed up. The print size is so small I'm struggling to read it because I have vision problems. By default spell checking is on. I hate spell checking. My ability to spell correctly is better than any machine's idea of what's correct. The layout is messed up and there's no means of correcting the amount of screen the columns can use.

My desktop is Windows 10 (which I loathe as well).

I also use an iPad (which was inadvertantly upadated) and iPad Mini (which auto updated), a Samsung smart phone.and a laptop that runs Windows XP which is considerably more reliable than Window 10. The variety of devices is why I have the Premium version of Evernote.

Evernote has gone from wonderful to an unmitigated disaster.

We feel your pain. Almost all of us on this thread are shocked at what Evernote is now compared to what is used to be. However, Pink Elephant is correct. The Legacy version will bring back most of what was lost with EN10.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, pansovic said:

When I first investigated sideloading I learned that it was possible to download Android APK files directly from the Google Play Store's website. Given that the Play Store will still install v8.13.3 for versions of Android earlier than 10 it should be possible to grab an officially blessed APK file that way.

As to third-party sites, APKPure.com has an entire archive of Evernote versions up to 8.13.3. I've never seen evidence that APKPure's files contained malware or viruses, despite the question coming up frequently (viz Quora last month). Indeed, once you've installed v 8.13.3 ( after you've disabled automatic updates!) I would expect Google's Play Protect function to complain if it found something amiss.

• Like 1

I like the new EN actually, but I hate the new start view. I like to have my notes listed immediately upon startup, now there's an unnecessary additional step inbetween.

I sent that as a feedback, that they should at least add an option to disable the start view, and I would encourage anyone to also send feedback to EN, they take user feedback into consideration if it's many users complaining about something specific.

I also miss the alphabetical fast scroll, but they told me, it will be added soon to EN.