Changing the language settings WITHIN the app WITHOUT having to change the system language

Woony

Idea

39 replies to this idea

Not a very "orthodox" way of doing it, but you can set it to English by removing the other language files from the installation folder, thus forcing the app to use the English.

• Normal installation: C:\Users\{your_user}\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\locales
  • Windows Store: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_10.20.4.0_x86__q4d96b2w5wcc2\app\locales
    • Mind that these are the default locations, so it may be in a different folder depending on wich version you have or if you have chosen a different location during the installation process.

Wish it could be a setting you could choose from. I'm not allowed to change the language of my Windows due to company policies, but I like using the English language for practicing and keeping in touch with the language.

Hope it helps :)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I totally agree, I just spent an hour on trying to get rid of the red underlining as I am typing in dutch and the language check is english. I even reset my windows language to dutch bu that does nog work either. Please fix this as fast as possible. I am a premium user.

Victor

image.png.161352d8ac695e107324ca72fdcc19ba.png

• Like 5

Yes I totally agree with this request. Although in previous versions of Evernote (on a MAC at least) this was available from a menu point, it seems to have disappeared as of a couple of months ago (currently on 10.5.7). This is a show stopper for me and I presume many others who work in more than one language and need to constantly change from one to the other. 

On many MAC apps, this language switcher is accessed by the handy Command-Shift-: . It would be very nice if Evernote did the same, but I'd settle for the old menu point to bring up the language switcher to save the day.

• Like 2

I'm stuck on this same issue using evernote in the browser and in the app.  This is a definite deal breaker as I need towrite notes in both english and spanish.  Has anyone found a workaround?  I love evernote, but this could be the end of my premium subscription

• Like 5

Wasted a lot of time searching for the language setting of the spelling checker, because I couldn't imagine that you have a spelling checker and it is fixed to English! Please make it available in more languages. (No; it is not possible to change the language of the operating system, that should be English).

• Like 1

Versie 10.xx is around for so long time already,  but due to thing like described above and much more, I can still NOT MOVE FROM VERSION 6.X TO VERSION 10.X.

I thinks it's time to look around for alternatives, since Evernote is not fixing bugs in version 6.x and moving upwards to version 10.x is still no option for me since this version is lacking so much we had in version 6.x.

Joost

• Level 5

EN makes use of system resources for the spell checker, like using the installed dictionary function.

It should be possible to bring along an integrated function - however this means to build a new functional block into the app. Is this likely ? Let us wait and see. Most users will have their system set to the same language they use for their note taking. V10 is still lacking some core functions, like printing, that are important for all users. I think EN will focus to get these implemented.

Currently legacy is the workaround, as it is for several other use cases.

I just discovered this incredible omission !???
Heys, guys !
Please stop wasting time with inventing new and useless features like "Homepage" and tasks,
and find a way to make the program usable in different languages !!

Best,
denis van W.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Waiting for an in-app language option is simply nonsense.

To go from borrowing it from the OS to implementing it yourself means getting an compatible solution integrated into the own code base, licensing it, adding the dictionaries into the app (again with a need to get a license) and duplicate a lot of functionality that already exists in the OS.

This means money spend on implementing it, maintaining it and keeping the licenses alive.

What for ?

8 votes on this thread since 2020, and the last post before yours is more than 3 months old. This is nothing into which anybody taking informed decisions would invest a single nickel. My conclusion: Waiting is nonsense (and it is neither „basic“ nor „simple“, and for sure it would not come cheap).

However, anybody can ask for anything, so if you want to reach EN, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

This isn't the only post about that topic. And boi is this feature highly requested. Furthermore, most of evernotes users just read a thread and don't bother to create a community account to comment on a certain topic if it clearly states that it is not possible rigth now. Read, understood, bye. 

So, please, do not talk this problem down if indeed it bothers a lot of people. 

I myself, couldn't believe this too.

Looking forward to evernote implementing this feature. I'm sure they will:)

• Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, JesusChrist said:

if it clearly states that it is not possible rigth now. Read, understood, bye. 

I'm not suggesting this is a bad idea but it hasn't been implemented for more than two years and I see no sign of it coming soon. If this is crucial to your workflow then you may need a different application.

• Level 5

Actually I don’t wonder about it, I am pretty sure we won’t see language options build into the app any time soon. The reasons I have outlined above. Installing a language tool of its own would mainly mimic what the OS already delivers. Anything beyond would only serve a few users needs, without adding value for the vast majority.

An Italian user will find Italian language support without a need to think about it, borrowed from his own OS.

Hello, 

Is there any new about this? I cannot believe the app is limited to the macOS main language and main grammar correction!

I use the app since its development and I discovered this absurd disability now I need to write proper Spanish! I still can't believe it.

Please, change this, dear Evernote Team!

• Level 5

If you want to reach EN staff, use the feedback function or a support ticket.

Getting an independent language support would mean to add a complete set of language resources (function, spell checker, dictionaries) to the client. This only to duplicate functions for most users (leading to problems like having 2 dictionaries, changes to one will not reflect in the other), and to satisfy the much smaller number of users with a multiple language usage not covered by OS capabilities.

How likely do you think is this scenario ? I give it close to zero probability - but maybe we will be surprised by a new Italian - English option one day 😉

I have a slightly different problem. The app language is English and I can type English text without getting squiggles. However, when I ask EN to suggest corrections for misspelled English words, the suggestions come in German. For instance, if I want to correct 'whch', I EN suggests 'wich' and 'wach' (two proper German words), but not 'which'. Anyone an idea what the reason for this could be? I cannot reproduce this behaviour on any other programme. 

Win 10, EN 10.52.8, German keyboard, OS language is English - see below

image.png.6bde9b9972377ebfd7794f297bcebd78.png 

image.png

On 1/31/2023 at 5:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you want to reach EN staff, use the feedback function or a support ticket.

Getting an independent language support would mean to add a complete set of language resources (function, spell checker, dictionaries) to the client. This only to duplicate functions for most users (leading to problems like having 2 dictionaries, changes to one will not reflect in the other), and to satisfy the much smaller number of users with a multiple language usage not covered by OS capabilities.

How likely do you think is this scenario ? I give it close to zero probability - but maybe we will be surprised by a new Italian - English option one day 😉

Waow ! Thanx for the information : non English speakers are obviously second class citizens, good to know. That's one of the multiple reasons I switched to Obsidian a few years ago ! Much smaller team... But it seems that multilanguage support doesn't feel so incredibly complex to them !

Cheers,
denis

Seems it not possible to have a local language within the app on windows. Strange... Using norwegian on my private account, but don't know how to change to norwegian on my business premium account...

No workarounds except from changing system language?

• Level 5

The EN language always follows the settings of the computer system.

EN has no own language resources, no dictionary, no spell or grammar checker, nothing like that. It relies on the OS resources. I don’t think they will include this independent language support, but of course you can contact EN staff (which is not us) by support ticket or feedback.

The only workaround I know is to use Grammarly. This will work, but only for English.

I experience private account in norwegian and business account in english on my win computer. System language is norwegian. 

Seems to be something more in play here than the system language alone....

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The EN language always follows the settings of the computer system.

EN has no own language resources, no dictionary, no spell or grammar checker, nothing like that. It relies on the OS resources. I don’t think they will include this independent language support, but of course you can contact EN staff (which is not us) by support ticket or feedback.

The only workaround I know is to use Grammarly. This will work, but only for English.

Well. I got this case closed in minutes thanks to a chat with EN support.

Language setting are set from this page - can be set to any language you preffer as long as it is supported. Not entirely connected to system language. At least not for payable business accounts

41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Good you could solve the setting of the UI language, thanks for posting.

Next time you have something this specific better open a new thread. The discussions in this thread were mainly about changing the spell checking settings.

As you can see at the above linked page - spelling language(s) are set the same way

• Level 5

If you mean this field, it has AFAIK nothing to do with spell checking or the local app behavior in general. Its purpose is to define which languages and especially dictionaries are used to improve the OCR performed on the EN cloud server. When you set more languages, results get more fuzzy, because it will try all similar looking words in different languages, and write them into the search index.

image.png.9e323ffefb568c2fb4e8501e6fbe5cba.png

• Like 1

Sorry, but I have to elevate this topic to be recognized as "important" by EN staff (who is reading here for sure 😉)
It's really hard to me to explain EN commands in English because I'm working on a German Windows.

Is it really that hard to either implement a setting (as in Legacy) or at least give us a hint to add a line in %Appdata%\Evernote\config.json to set the user UI language?

Or is such a configuration line already available and someone here knows about it?

On 21. 7. 2023 at 9:43, AlbertR said:

Ospravedlňujem sa, ale musím túto tému povýšiť, aby ju EN personál (ktorý tu určite číta 😉 ) uznal za "dôležitú" )
Je  pre mňa naozaj ťažké vysvetliť EN príkazy v angličtine, pretože pracujem na nemeckom Windowse .

Je naozaj také ťažké implementovať nastavenie (ako v Legacy) alebo nám aspoň poradiť, aby sme pridali riadok do %Appdata%\Evernote\ config.json na nastavenie jazyka používateľského rozhrania?

Alebo je už taká konfiguračná linka dostupná a niekto tu o nej vie?

test this solution:

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

Whow, interresting 👍. I'll try it sometimes later 😞

But I don't know anything about data security. So use at your own risk and don't keep any passwords in evernote. If it's used to write articles, I wouldn't have a problem with the app, even if someone is digging through my articles...

3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Whow, interresting 👍. I'll try it sometimes later 😞

By the way, the language checker works fine in Chrome, I think, and try the multi-language setting directly in chrome.