A way to have multiple Evernote Workspaces ?

Thomas Oatman

Idea

Similar to having a Personal and a Work account, I have a desire for separate note lists.  Similar to multiple desktops in Windows and Mac.

I have collected a plethora of notes in Evernote over many years; including financial, memories, insurance, research, quotes, scout and church planning, home inventory, receipts, ideas, diary, - on and on.

I have found that sometimes when I have someone with me and I am searching for something, a note might pop up (like a birthday party planning note) that I did not want that person to see.   Or to have a separate spot to archive notes that are cluttering my current projects but I don't want to remove them forever.

My solution so far was to create another 'account' and move the more private notes to there -- until I ran into some very large notes....

So there comes my dilemma.  In order to move those note into the new account, I have to buy another premium subscription - which I cannot afford.

Is there some other way to have such a separation-of-purpose?

What would be super beautiful is top-level tabs.   I could have tabs such as Work, Personal, Private, Shared, Archive...    When I am in a specific tab, only the notebooks and tags in here would be seen.   This is basically like asking for multiple accounts to be Tab-ized I guess.   but not multiple payments  🙂

Think about it like utilizing tabs in Firefox, Chrome, Safari...   Each tab is a completely separate Evernote workspace  (I tried this but it currently logs me out of first one when I try to login on another tab)

And even more beautiful would be ability to easily copy/move notes to other tabs.

Anyway - I thought I would *ask* if something is already close to this before I asked for a new feature.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Thomas Oatman said:

My solution is Personal/Work tags
A shortcut to a saved search generates separate the note lists
I also have separate tabs (Legacy Mac)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Thomas Oatman said:

My solution is to have a work stack and a home stack and a saved search for each stack.  If I’m in a situation at work where I don’t want others to see home information, I’ll use the saved search for the work stack instead of the general search.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @DTLow and @s2sailor

Yes, I thought about saved searches.   I've become rather accustomed to the quick Ctrl-Q to pop up the lovely window to find Notebooks, Tags or text -- all in one place...  and has my recent searches shown for quick re-access.  With the Saved Search approach, that goes away -- right?    I can do Ctrl-Q, type in Work to access the Work search.  but then I have to click on the Search input box to continue - it doesn't even focus on that control by default it seems.

Boy wouldn't it be grand if you could open new tabs up to a saved search....  and the Left panel would only show matching items.    Then you could have Work, Private, etc and Ctrl-Q would still work perfectly   LOL.

thanks again!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Thomas Oatman said:

With the Saved Search approach, that goes away -- right?

With the legacy version ctrl-Q shows Saved Searches right below Recent Searches.  If you preface the name of the Saved Search with a character like !, it will show at the top of the Saved Search list.  I don't have v10 loaded for Windows so don't know what happens there.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

My solution is to have a work stack and a home stack and a saved search for each stack

Worth mentioning that the new version doesn't make it easy to search within a stack. You need to use the undocumented search syntax:

stack:"my stack name"

10 hours ago, Thomas Oatman said:

I've become rather accustomed to the quick Ctrl-Q to pop up the lovely window to find Notebooks, Tags or text -- all in one place...  and has my recent searches shown for quick re-access.

Ctrl-Q is in the "coming soon" section of the release notes so we will have to wait and see what the dumbed down shiny new version looks like.

To be fair the new search does find all those things but only gives you a very limited list e.g. only 2 filters which includes tags. Does give you quick access to some rather nice filters though. Try searching for pdf for example

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

Worth mentioning that the new version doesn't make it easy to search within a stack. You need to use the undocumented search syntax:

stack:"my stack name"

I don't see if officially documented either.  It must have been a tip that I picked up in the forum.

15 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I don't see if officially documented either.  It must have been a tip that I picked up in the forum.

In the legacy version you can just start with a stack and search from there. The stack: syntax is only apparent if you save the search and examine the syntax at that stage, so it's quite possible in the legacy version to search stacks without knowing anything about the undocumented syntax. With the new version the only way of searching in a stack is using the syntax.