Can't Delete a Note

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

In my <Inbox>, I have an "Untitled note". If I delete it, it seems to work then reappears in about a second. I cannot edit it or move it to another notebook. This is happening both on Mac and iOS. On the web version of Evernote, all my notes just say "Loading..." and never load. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I delete the note?

Here's the info for my Mac version of Evernote:

v 10.0.10 build 458340 public
Editor: v107.3.13847
Service: v1.20.21
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I have a note with no content that I can't delete on any of the platforms I use (Web, Mac, iOS).  I delete the note and 2 seconds later it "reappears".  I beleive the note was originally a snapshot from my phone but the note has no content.  Any ideas?  Thanks

• Level 5
23 hours ago, gabx said:

I have a note with no content that I can't delete on any of the platforms I use (Web, Mac, iOS).  I delete the note and 2 seconds later it "reappears".  I beleive the note was originally a snapshot from my phone but the note has no content.  Any ideas?  Thanks

I had the same problem today on my iPad after I shared a scan to Evernote via the HP scanner app. I got a "blank note" which I could not delete, move, edit etc. on any of the three clients I use (Web, iPad, Mac). My solution to get rid of the note was to:

• create a new notebook in the same stack,
  • move all notes of the notebook containing the "blank note" to that notebook except the "blank note" which cannot be moved anyway,
  • delete the notebook containing the "blank note",
  • empty the trash,
  • change the name of the new notebook to the old one.
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

This is an issue we've seen a small number of users report.

For what it's worth, we have often found that these notes do become deletable after a few days.

While this is obviously not a viable solution, I wanted to let you know in case you want to try deleting them again in the future.

In the meantime, we're working to address it, and I'll provide an update once I know more.

• Level 5*
On 10/19/2020 at 7:00 AM, gabx said:

A technique I've used in the past (Windows) is to create a note and merge it with the offending note.  Then delete the resultant note.  FWIW.

I suffered this problem this morning. I created a note on my iPad and tried to insert an image from my photos. The app had a little spinning icon for a long time, so I gave up.

I backspaced over the spinning icon. But then I found I could not delete the note from either my ipad or my mac.

1025846469_ScreenShot2020-10-23at4_40_06PM.thumb.png.4aed31e9d06f8f931e3e9dbc1c5ff8b4.png

• Level 5

If it does not work as described above my "merging it away", you probably need to uninstall the app on the device where the undetectable note was created. I had a similar issue, when sharing 4 photos into a note, and had to delete and reinstall the EN app on my iPhone to get rid of it.

I'm having the same problem with a note that won't delete, won't load, won't move, won't merge, won't edit, and I tried uninstalling Evernote on the device where the stuck note is.  I also tried all the above from the original device, from another device, and from the web site.   One thing in particular about this note was it created from the iPhone camera app with a picture and some notes about the picture.  The note got uploaded but didn't include the picture - I tried the picture from the camera roll as well. 

I’m the OP on this thread and I was able to delete my corrupted note after a few days.  The issue with the notebook was that was my default notebook (which is why I couldn’t delete it)

2 hours ago, gabx said:

I’m the OP on this thread and I was able to delete my corrupted note after a few days.  The issue with the notebook was that was my default notebook (which is why I couldn’t delete it)

Thanks, this workaround was successful for me. I moved the note from my default notebook to another notebook on my Mac, and then I was able to move the note to the Trash. I confirmed that the note also deleted from my phone.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

today I got my first undeletable note, too. Was playing arounf, just opened the App, then ‚+‘ to create sketch, drawing, closing the sketch, taping on a notebook, App was freezing, after restart the new note was empty (sketch lost) and cannot be deleted. I‘ll wait a few days.

The Evernote legacy app was able to delete it - but only there, on Web and iOS V10 app still showing that note. Legacy App on Iphone doesn‘t show the note.

Have you ever created a new note on iPad and after saving it, tried to delete it? App freezes immediately in my case...

• Level 5

@Shane D.My current (second) undeletable note is maturing nicely, since Sunday.

It is still undeletable, which means I can select it, swipe to the left, select the trash (or the delete position from the menu), and it says „note was deleted“. However, it comes back after a few seconds. 

The iPad is not freezing, I only observe that the offline download does not complete in that notebook. Probably it stalls when chocking on that corrupted entry.

This time I would rather prefer not to uninstall, because I would loose offline content that took DAYS to download, while the iPad was active and on the Charger, with EN open and downloading.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue on Mac (10.3.7) and Web.

I have opened a support ticket #3207047 to follow this up. 

On 11/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, Maria Prinus said:

Have anyone seen this issue in the latest version of Evernote desktop app 10.3.6 or 10.3.7?

• Thanks 1

Just to add some more information on notes that can’t be deletedL

I had two duplicate notes in my Inbox that were forwarded from gmail to my Evernote address (As usual, the app logged out, I thought i lost the note I originally sent so i re-sent it and then it re-appeared in my inbox so I had 2 copies).

Initially when i tried to delete one of the duplicate copies, the “Delete note” option was grayed out. After i moved one of the copies to another notebook, closed the app and re-opened, i was able to delete the remaining copy.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, DK1981 said:

I actually have the bug today in the latest version. Note appears in Web-Client and on iOS. Can't delete it. 

It is in my primary folder with 440 other notes. What to do?

• Move all other notes into a new notebook, because I think you also cannot move it to a different notebook
  • Delete the notebook with the remaining note. If it is the default notebook you have to configure another notebook as default notebook
  • Rename the new notebook to the one you just have deleted
25 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:
  • Move all other notes into a new notebook, because I think you also cannot move it to a different notebook
  • Delete the notebook with the remaining note. If it is the default notebook you have to configure another notebook as default notebook
  • Rename the new notebook to the one you just have deleted

Thanks for you answer. Is there a way to move all notes from a notebook as easily as possible? I can't find anything in the 10.x right now.

It would not be fun to move 440 notes one by one

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

The only „undeletable“ notes I had were corrupted notes resulting out of sharing actions on iOS devices. This happened twice, on clients before 10.3. In both cases the notes were undeletable on all devices - they had spread over the sync even to the desktop platforms. When I deleted one of them, is disappeared, but came back by itself a few seconds later.

In both cases I could solve the problem by uninstalling the app on the device where the bad share had happened, dump all data, switch the device completely off and on again, reinstall and log in. In both cases after the sync the bad notes were gone, which spread through syncing to all clients when I opened them.

Can't Delete Some Notebooks

Adding to the thread as it's clear this is a widespread bug. Today I archived a load of notebooks and then deleted them. 2 notebooks keep coming back, with no notes inside. So just empty notebooks. And a couple more were not notebooks I 'owned' - so I chose LEAVE instead, except it tells me 'XXX Failed to Leave'

So I can't some notebooks I have created, and I can't leave some that others have created. 

This is unworkable seeing at Evernote is fairly basic in it's premium, created and organise notes. Urgent fix required Evernote please!

• Level 5

About the notebooks: You can not delete your default notebook. Check if one of them is set as default. If not, maybe there is a corruption of the data base. I did not have that problem with notebooks, but with notes (all of it last year, with early v10 releases).

Concerning the own undeletable content, it is probably solved by completely uninstalling the app including the data base. Use AppCleaner to do so, and make sure in the selection of the components to undelete to check all elements. Then restart the Mac, reinstall, log in and sync to the server. My experience is that now undeletable content can be deleted.

If the content was created on another device, maybe the uninstall needs to be done there. I had twice undeletable notes that were created on iOS devices. There I needed to uninstall and dump all data on these devices. I could delete them on v10, legacy and even the web client - the corrupted notes always came back until I did the uninstall on iOS.

With shared content it may be another story. If the shared Content was deleted by its user, it may be „orphaned“. This means it now just exists as a share in your account. In these cases I had a problem in the past that it simply could not be deleted. I did not replicate this with v10, but probably this problem does still exist, because it is AFAIK a server problem, not one of the client.

Maybe support can do something about it.

• Level 5

The today’s clients were released less than half a year ago. Probably development started 2 years ago.

V10 is when Code is concerned a brand new product, nothing that developed over 10 years. EN states that the old code base had grown unsupportable, so they decided to make a cut and start it all over.

That they released this new product when it was neither finished nor stable is another story ... had my share of bugs as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1