Update Huh!? Hmmmm, Can You Say Worse...

Nickerz

Idea

How about from now on when any company decides they have a new and "improved" update they let us pawn of consumers decide to keep the "classic" version! You know...the time when everything worked like it should and you had no complaints.  This way, when the devs get inspired to attempt to make things "better" and FAIL, we can simply go about our everyday lives with little to NO impact and ignore your little hickups along the way. Okay, that was my rant for all companies trying to fix what isn't broken ARG!

Below is my list of things I've noticed so far that don't work, disappeared and/or changed. I'll try to update this list but by all means, if I'm mistaken or missing something please let me know. So here is my list of troubles that I'm experiencing since the update (v 10.1.7 build 0, Editor v109.0.14125)...

1. Thumbnail Pic in "Snippet" view can't be seen. I can still view them in my existing notes but not in any new note I create. ??? (see attached screenshot...) And how about allowing us to choose our thumbnail pic when the note has multiple pics? It's only been nearly 10 years from us requesting this feature!?984063480_Screenshot2020-10-1817_29_06.thumb.png.eaa52b927acd3f44efa6dd627ade5908.png

2. Clicking on a note and pressing the "delete" key on my keyboard doesn't do anything. It used to delete the note by placing it in the trash. Now, nothing happens. When in the trash folder, trying to click on the trash icon to permanently delete it doesn't do anything either. ????

3. "optimize readability" (aka word wrap) doesn't work very well (going off the 2nd attached screenshot below - I've got my split screen view in Windows and I've always been able to see my note info in the Preview Pane but word wrap isn't working like it should without having to zoom way out). I'm still having to scroll the bar back and forth to read my notes UNLESS I squeeze the left columns together so small I can barely see them. I have been able to click on View>Zoom Out to avoid scrolling the bar back and forth to read the note in page preview but again, I have to zoom out so everything is too small making it harder to see. ??? See 2nd attached screenshot...

Screenshot 2020-10-18 17.35.47.png

• Like 1

11 replies to this idea

7 hours ago, Nickerz said:

2. Clicking on a note and pressing the "delete" key on my keyboard doesn't do anything. It used to delete the note by placing it in the trash. Now, nothing happens. When in the trash folder, trying to click on the trash icon to permanently delete it doesn't do anything either. ????

Deleting a note is now ctrl-backspace (despite the official list of keyboard shortcuts saying ctrl-del) . I know it's stupid, just don't shoot the messenger! I couldn't find a shortcut for permanently deleting a note in the trash. So the best option is right click -> permanently delete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for that tip!!!

By the way, my laptop is still running the old Evernote (v.6.25.1.9091) and the issue I mentioned above 1. Thumbnail Pic... worked of course but when it synced it synced the thumbnail pic to my desktop Evernote new version! I think I'll keep my laptop running the old Evernote version as long as I can since I didn't have any issue with it!

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Nickerz said:

How about from now on when any company decides they have a new and "improved" update they let us pawn of consumers decide to keep the "classic" version!

Also known as "Legacy" version

Of course we have the choice of not installing the update; or rolling back to a previous version,

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Also known as "Legacy" version

Of course we have the choice of not installing the update; or rolling back to a previous version,

I thought the update was forced like mobile phone carriers.  I tried opening Evernote the other day and it had me verify my account through the web to log in and then it opened up with a new look to it (none of this happened on my laptop btw). I was never asked to update (that I remember).  I'll gladly go back to the older version then. How do I roll back back to my old version?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Nickerz said:

I'll gladly go back to the older version then. How do I roll back back to my old version?

You're posting in the Windows forum     
Sorry, I only know rollback process for Windows/Mac

• Thanks 1

I think I know what happened...

I was having issues with Evernote on my desktop (documented in this thread here...) but the steps Evernote gave me didn't work. I forgot to update that thread btw so maybe I'll do that next but in the end, I installed Evernote via the Microsoft Store (see screenshot below)... and this fixed my original issue. And this would maybe explain why my experience the other day on my desktop was strange as I was prompted to login to Evernote and then it started installing version 10 b/c it was installed via Microsoft Store and not directly on my desktop PC. ???

So I'm simply going to try uninstalling Evernote on my desktop, reinstall it using the file I downloaded originally (v6.25.1.9091) which is still in my download folder btw! I'll see if this works as it should roll me back to the previous version which I liked.

However, the only issue is will my original problem come back that I posted in another thread. We'll see...

Screenshot 2020-10-19 14.14.21.png

That worked! I simply uninstalled Evernote v.10, restarted my PC, reinstalled Evernote v.6 and all is good now.

BUT...I'm not out of the woods yet. The original issue I was having trouble with (posted above, Evernote going through some kind of setup/reinstall each time I opened it) was inconsistent and this issue wouldn't appear until 1-2 weeks later. So hopefully that doesn't happen again but we'll see and at least I have the version that I like v.6...

Thanks again for your help everyone!

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Nickerz said:

That worked! I simply uninstalled Evernote v.10, restarted my PC, reinstalled Evernote v.6 and all is good now.

BUT...I'm not out of the woods yet. The original issue I was having trouble with (posted above, Evernote going through some kind of setup/reinstall each time I opened it) was inconsistent and this issue wouldn't appear until 1-2 weeks later. So hopefully that doesn't happen again but we'll see and at least I have the version that I like v.6...

Thanks again for your help everyone!

You are welcome.  The version I am using is 6.25.1.9091 which I think is the last version before V10.  It can be found on the filehippo site, if that helps.  The legacy version is 6.25.2.9198 which is no doubt slightly different in some ways, though I am not sure.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Nickerz said:

By the way, my laptop is still running the old Evernote (v.6.25.1.9091) and the issue I mentioned above 1. Thumbnail Pic... worked of course but when it synced it synced the thumbnail pic to my desktop Evernote new version! I think I'll keep my laptop running the old Evernote version as long as I can since I didn't have any issue with it!

Interesting, I'll have to try that. The web version also updates thumbnails as expected but doesn't then sync it to the new Windows.