Html content

ruralrelic

Idea

I use Evernote frequently but I am an inexperieced user when it comes to technacalities.

My notes are divided into calendar months.

I have just opened the entries for MAY, they are now in HTML format, they were not in this format originally as I entered daily notes for the month of May in previous years.

How do I change the entire previous MAY content from HTML format back to editable text?

Chromebook using ChromeOS

• Like 1

41 replies to this idea

• Level 5

@ruralrelic, I often find this in notes created by clipping from the Web, or sometimes from emailing into Evernote. Using Evernote in a Web browser, the material shows up surrounded by a gray box labeled "HTML content". Is that what you're seeing? If so, try clicking on the top gray bar of the box. That should bring up a "magic wand" icon that lets you convert the material to editable text. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. Always good to mention what OS, browser and Evernote version you're using if you need technical help. The new Web version of Evernote has some HTML content which you may be able to avoid if you step back to the previous version. Try opening the app menu by clicking your account icon at the top left of the screen. There should be an option there to revert to an earlier version.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ruralrelic said:

How do I change the entire previous MAY content from HTML format back to editable text?

Please post a screenshot of the issue

The note versions are backed up and can be restored     
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-use-note-history-to-view-older-versions-of-a-note

Thank you all for replying.

Dave-in- Decatur - that is exactly what I am seeing.

I have tried this, the magic wand appears and I click on it but it does not alter the text, it remains in HTML.

I wonder, does this magic wand work with Chrome OS.

None of my notes are clipped from the web all wtitten by me, I dont know why they have been converted to HTML ?

Any ideas on getting the magic wand to work?

• Level 5
On 5/2/2020 at 2:14 PM, ruralrelic said:

Thank you all for replying.

Dave-in- Decatur - that is exactly what I am seeing.

I have tried this, the magic wand appears and I click on it but it does not alter the text, it remains in HTML.

I wonder, does this magic wand work with Chrome OS.

None of my notes are clipped from the web all wtitten by me, I dont know why they have been converted to HTML ?

Any ideas on getting the magic wand to work?

That is quite peculiar. There are annoying differences in how well the Web beta works across different browsers. Have you tried going back to the "previous" version of the Evernote Web client? Click your initial and account name at top left and choose the option from there.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I get notes with a thing that calls HTML Content. See attached. What´s the point of this? How can I take this away. I only want to have access to the note. 

I think the point is to isolate web clippings from other note content

2 hours ago, pansovic said:

I get notes with a thing that calls HTML Content. See attached. What´s the point of this?

As websites have become more complex the EN webclipper has struggled to faithfully convert the content into EN's format leading to messed up formating etc. By keeping it in html format within the note EN is trying to solve that problem. In my experience it's not perfect but I get fewer problems than with the old system. The main downside is that you can't edit or even highlight the webclip without resorting to "simplify and make editable".

• Level 5

If it's like the Web client, you can click on the gray bar at the top and a "magic wand" icon will appear that will let you make the content editable. This removes the box and lets you do pretty much what you want. I've found this to be extraordinarily useful in the Web client, and it is one of the few new features of the new Windows program that I look forward to using, as it makes massaging Web clips into something really functional a relatively easy process.

I wonder, is this kind of complaint getting to the hears of EN staff? We can continue complaining and trying to help out each other, but it would be helpful if this can get into the hands of EN staff and get feedback on their solutions. Will this come on the top 10 or end up in their top 100, which perhaps after years it will be solved. Without feedback from the EN staff, it is only adding to the frustrations.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 10/11/2020 at 12:20 PM, pansovic said:

Not working with all notes. See video attached.

Thank you for this. It shows the problem very clearly. In the past, I have occasionally had HTML Content notes in the Web client that couldn't be simplified and edited. The only solution was to copy the content and paste it outside the gray box--with that much material, I'd probably paste it into a new note. This really is too much hassle.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, pansovic said:

I wonder, is this kind of complaint getting to the hears of EN staff? We can continue complaining and trying to help out each other, but it would be helpful if this can get into the hands of EN staff and get feedback on their solutions. Will this come on the top 10 or end up in their top 100, which perhaps after years it will be solved. Without feedback from the EN staff, it is only adding to the frustrations.

The best approach might be to file a support ticket, regarding this specific issue. At least you could be sure that they heard it.

• Thanks 1

After updating to version 10.1.7 most of my notes have been converted to 'HTML Content'. This content is not editable.

I get the option to 'Simplify and make editable' which removes all tables.

This is a major issue, I cannot use my notes.

Please help.

• Level 5*
On 10/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, Dooki said:

After updating to version 10.1.7 most of my notes have been converted to 'HTML Content'. This content is not editable.

Revert to the Legacy Version here

• Evernote Expert

The rendering of HTML content in version 10.x is much less amenable to editing and tidying up thanthe legacy version 6.25  Here's an example...

I regularly forward Email receipts to Evernote where I keep my accounting receipts for the accountant.  It works well.  However, often Email receipts contain lots of extra stuff which isn't necessary to retain so I have a habit of tidying them up to keep what is essential.  Here is an example of a receipt for the post office as it arrived in the legacy.

html_legacy.thumb.png.575377963cc80d64b5d0a0111fbbcd10.png

It displays tidily but I decided to remove the series of QR codes which allow me to despatch the items etc.  Not needed for accounting records.

Looking in Evernote 10.3 it looks like this...

html-2.thumb.png.f8d84bd00f9da90285a0ee50a814ce4c.png

The note is displayed with two HTML blocks.  To edit I have to simplify the formatting but this breaks lots of the display and makes the whole thing untidy and less convincing as a receipt.

However, if I make the edits in v6.25 I can easily remove the unecessary stuff with the added benefit that when I view the final result in v10.3 the HTML blocks have all been combined and everything looks neat and tidy.

So I have to edit HTML content in the legacy version to keep it tidy...

html_3.thumb.png.74dea2ba12474bae60f45d707c7519cb.png

I recently upgraded to v10.3.7 build 2018 public

When I open some notes that contain pasted in HTML, they are no longer editable until you press the magic wand button. Doing that strips almost all the formatting and all the images. Sure, I can edit now, but it's useless with much of the content removed. Also, the HTML renderer seems to inconsistently handle images and tables, I've attached a screenshot, the upper entry is typical whereas the lower entry is what they all should look like (and used to in the older version).

Other than backing up to v6.25 is there a solution? Will there be a way to edit HTML w/o "simplifying" it?

Untitled.png

I am currently on v 10.4.3 build 2071 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
 and I also have the problem 

On 10/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, Dooki said:

Please help.

I am a loyal paid subscriber. already rather shocked by the removal of the Sync button. It would be really great if you could help by resolving this.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:34 PM, Jaya Shekarraju said:

@Dooki Thank you for reporting this issue. Would you be able to share some sample notes for us to investigate this issue? Thank you. 

I have this same problem on MacOS 10.15.7: Large sections of some notes under Evernote 10.4.4 show as "html content" and are no longer editable.

Did you receive examples of the problem for your investigations? Do you want any more examples?

Is there a fix to make it editable again (apart from going back to V7.14 which, thankfully still works?

Version 7.14 (458244 Direct)
Editor: 69.3.10951 (15add1e)

versus

v 10.4.4 build 458403 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5*

Best suggestion at the moment is to use the Legacy version until this gets resolved - just scrolling through my own notes in Windows 6.25 to try and find an HTML insert,  and there are none.  I have seen them - I'd guess only on the web client for now.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:57 PM, Dooki said:

Please help.

Having the same issue. This is unacceptable. all notes in the IOS version and the browser version , notes identify large blocks of the note as "HTML Content". 

@Evernote: Please correct this ASAP 

• Evernote Expert

A lot of imported content is from HTML sources - forwarded Emails, web clippings etc. In the legacy versions this was not evident and it could edited in place.

veriosn 10.x recognises this as HTML source and displays it in an HTML block. This can be removed by using the 'Simplify Formatting' option in v10.x but this typically messes up the layout.  If this is key to your workflow then, as ever, stick with the legacy version.

I am having this exact problem in latest Evernote for iOS. Never happened before. (All new Evernote versions (macOS and iOS) suck and are terrible. Luckily, I can use legacy version in macOS, but for iOS I am stuck with this awful new app. ) Anyway, back to the topic, I click on the gray box as mentioned here. But nothing happens. No magic wand, nothing. This is terrible. How can I edit these notes in iOS? They appear normally in macOS client as well as web browser. Only in iOS do I get the uneditable HTML box. Thanks for help!

9 hours ago, barrimoon said:

After the update, I realized that some of my notes turned to Html content.

Clipped content now appears inside an html content or web clip box. I think the reason is that as websites become more and more complex the ability of the webclipper to convert content to EN format means formatting etc is often messed up. The downside is that you can't edit the text of even highlight bits. If you want to make any changes you have to "simplify and make editable" using the magic wand icon or the three dots menu shown at the top of the box in your screenshot. If that messes it up then I've generally found that the change can be undone using ctrl-Z.

Evernote for Windows 10. One of my notes somehow got converted to "HTML Content" 😞 When I click on "Simplify Content", nothing happens. How do I convert this note back into normal formatting?  (this note has images) Thanks. I can't tell which Evernote version I'm using cuz when I click on "About Evernote" the screen is blank. I'm on Evernote version 10.something. Windows 10 latest version. 

• Evernote Expert

The HTML Content container is a new way of seeing what has always been HTML content.  Nothing has been converted - just the way it is displayed. So the easiest way of returning to the old way of viewing is to go back to the legacy version of Evernote.  You will still have all the function you want to see.

The use of HTML containers allows Evernote 10 to be more faithful in displaying content as it was originally intended. It comes with the significant disadvantage that the content cannot be edited inside the container. At the moment the only means of achieving that is to simplify formatting (as you have noted) or to go back to the legacy version. I personally favour the legacy application for this purpose.

I can't say why simplifying formatting isn't working for you on this note. Switch over to the old legacy version and all should be OK there.  As you'll have seen noted, you can use the legacy version and EN v10 alongside one another.

Thanks. The problem is the "HTML Content" cannot be edited. I have to edit on my mobile. Of course this is a big problem. The "HTML Content" on the Evernote Windows app is surrounded by a blue border. It's not letting me edit the content. How do I fix this major problem? Thanks

Doesn't work. I click on the magic wand and no magic happens. Wand is defective. Unable to edit note content. How to fix this problem? Thanks. Just so there's no confusion; I click on the magic wand and nothing happens.

Also clicking on the items in the "More Options" menu causes nothing to happen.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Advait C said:

How do I fix this major problem?

As I said earlier, why not stick with the legacy version which will allow you to edit HTML content.
You could try uninstalling v10 and reinstalling - be sure to remove the data directory. But I don't think you'll be happy with the simplify formatting option unless the original note is laid out in a simple fashion. Editing the HTML is a poor option in v10 compared to the legacy.

I have a similar problem, the content was converted to html.  The twist is that some of the content is encrypted.  So I am reluctant to do anything for fear of losing the content  in the document.  I can see the document just fine in the android app.  But on my pc, that document is labeled as HTML and I am not able to decrypt anything.

Hey! Have you solved your issue? If not, you can share a screenshot of your problem, and I can offer some technical support. By the way, this is a bit off-topic, but I thought I'd ask here for help. So, basically, I'm looking for an AI writing assistant, and the only affordable I found so far is the Jasper AI. I've read its review on thetechreviewer.com, and it seems pretty cool, but I felt like I should check with you first. Therefore, my question is whether you've ever used their services? If yes, could you please share your experience?