EN 10.1 keeps opening in the Shared With Me window rather than last used

Go to solution Solved by gbarry,

• Evernote Expert

This is an issue that appeared after receiving the v10.1 update.

Now once the program is running I can click on the taskbar icon and it opens back to where I was last focused.

However, if I, instead, double click a desktop icon or launch from the start menu (and the program is already running) it opens on a window inside the program headed SHARED WITH ME rather than the notebook I was previously inside.

Apart from being immensely frustrating I suspect that it isn't common otherwise I'm sure there would be lots of comments reporting it or similar.

I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling but still get this issue.  Anyone any insight or suggestions.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Start Evernote 10.1.x and access your desired notebook.

2. Minimise the program.

3. Double click the desktop icon or open from the start menu.

4. EN opens and jumps onto Shared With Me list.

5. Reselect the working notebook.

6. Minimise EN

7. Open the program by clicking on the taskbar icon and return to the working notebook.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm having the exact same issue and thought I was going nuts. I even had the one person who had shared a note with me unshare and delete the note on their end to see if that fixed it, but it didn't, it still goes there every time I reopen the app, whether quitting all the way or just closing the app but letting it continue to run in the system tray.

I am glad they have acknowledged the problem, but why is this topic labeled "answered"? 

Unless I misunderstood something, that seems like a change in the way I observed the word being used in the past: that a solution has been posted , or that the problem is fixed with a new update.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I just upgraded to Evernote v.10.1.7 build 1902 public. The program now always opens to "Shared with Me"--which in my case, is empty. I want it to open to "All Notes." How do I set where the program opens?

Thank you,
Skye (I've been using Evernote for over ten years now)

21 minutes ago, amritaskye said:

I just upgraded to Evernote v.10.1.7 build 1902 public. The program now always opens to "Shared with Me"--which in my case, is empty. I want it to open to "All Notes." How do I set where the program opens?

For me it just opens in the last view (after closing and also exiting the task bar elaphant icon at the bottom right)

Got exactly the same issue.  

If I open from the Task Bar - it comes up with shared notes - with nothing in them.  Works fine from the system tray.

Also takes about 3 seconds to open from the task bar (it's as if the program as to start from scratch) and instantly if from the system tray.

v 10.1.7 build 1902 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

1 minute ago, Diedert said:

I'm on 10.1.7. and after "check for updates" this seems "currently the newest version available".

Odd, this was released yesterday:

it may be worth manually downloading it from the EN website and installing it that way.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

Odd, this was released yesterday:

it may be worth manually downloading it from the EN website and installing it that way.

Hm, strange indeed. Depends pushing update releases on the region? Or just gradual roll-out not to overload the helpdesk? Anyhow, I can wait until my instance alerts me about the new release 🙂 Thanks for your support. 

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately, the Bug has returned in Evernote 10.14.7 (Windows).  After the most recent Evernote update, I'm experiencing the same issue of returning to the Shared With Me page when clicking an icon on the toolbar or Start menu.   Please, EN team, fix this bug.  Its very frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

20 hours ago, Mark Masson said:

Unfortunately, the Bug has returned in Evernote 10.14.7 (Windows).  After the most recent Evernote update, I'm experiencing the same issue of returning to the Shared With Me page when clicking an icon on the toolbar or Start menu.   Please, EN team, fix this bug.  Its very frustrating.

Thanks everyone. We are working on a fix  now. I will update this thread when I have more info on the fix. 

Also, an issue for me. I find it very frustrating. Hope this gets fixed soon, or better yet, the option is provided to delete/hide "Shared with Me."

10.15.6-win-ddl-public (2680)
Editor: v125.1.16140
Service: v1.36.3
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Today I got the same problem. And found a trick in another thread. If you close the app, don't do that by clicking the X, but via the menu !!!

For me that works for as long the bug is not fixed

• Thanks 1
On 6/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, JochumP said:

Today I got the same problem. And found a trick in another thread. If you close the app, don't do that by clicking the X, but via the menu !!!

For me that works for as long the bug is not fixed

Nope, did not work for me... but gives ideas how to deal with it... hope Evernote takes note and fixes this...

• Level 5

Correct about not using the X, but the menu. The X closes the app, but leaves the framework running.

Only the menu (or at a Mac cmd-q) really quits the program.

The next steps is log out before quitting, and then to click the „keep data on logout“ away before logout.

same thing for me just the past several days.  I also saw another thread where they suggested closing the program from the menu.  I tried it and it seemed to work - when I opened EN back up, it was on the last folder I had used. But then a day later, it's back to the "shared with me" file.  I've done it a couple times, and each time it's reverted back.  :(

• Level 5

Did somebody share new content with you ?

My escalation is this:

1. Quit EN from the menu (not by hitting the X on the screen)
  2. Log out of EN before quitting
  3. Remove the „Keep all data on logout“ at settings, then log out, then quit
  4. The same, but before restarting the app, first restart the computer
  5. Uninstall the app, using an uninstaller (Revo for Windows, AppCleaner for Mac), reinstall, log in

… or ask support.

I'm having this issue with EN 10.15.6 on a Windows PC and none of the suggestions above have fixed it permanently. The problem disappeared for about a half day after I tried all suggested fixes and then reappeared. It is extremely annoying.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, ellenbrown719 said:

The update did NOT work to resolve the issue for me on my windows. Please let me know what else I can do? It's been happening for a few weeks.

I would close Evernote 10 by signing out from your account and  remove your data.  When you log basck in this issue should be resolved.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I would close Evernote 10 by signing out from your account and  remove your data.  When you log basck in this issue should be resolved.

Worked.
Uncheck Save data on logout' in Preferences menu.
Logged out/in. 
Got the spinning elephant and all matched.

• Thanks 1